Old 23rd February 2016, 19:42   #1
dj001

iPhone apps to use with end of SHOUTcast app

I noticed SHOUTcast's iPhone app no longer exists, so I checked out eight others. Here are the rankings:

album art and metadata on both iPhone and desktop
TuneIn
Streema

Metadata only
Radio Tuner

No song information
Stitcher
Simple Radio
Audiorealm

Garbage apps
All Radio
OneTunerLite
dj001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2016, 12:39   #2
dj001

REVISED:
I noticed SHOUTcast's iPhone app no longer exists, so I checked out nine others. Here are the rankings:

1 . TuneIn - shows metadata and large icons of available album art.

2. Streema - shows metadata and medium icons of available album art. However, it puts an icon on your screen that launches a browser page. You can either bookmark it or just leave it amongst your open browser pages, then navigate there when you want to listen.

3. Radio Tuner - shows metadata only.

4. Stitcher - shows neither metadata nor album art.

5. Simple Radio - shows neither metadata nor album art. This is a second, markedly inferior, iPhone app made by Streema - though it doesn't send you to a browser page.

6. Audiorealm - shows neither metadata nor album art. It also has no Favorites, requiring you to hunt for the stream you want every time you launch the app.

7. Radionomy - shows neither metadata nor album art. Also crashes when you click the Play button (at least on iPhone 5S).

8. All Radio - garbage app.

9. OneTunerLite - garbage app.
Old 26th February 2016, 10:37   #3
dopelabs

Send a message via AIM to dopelabs
or you can just use safari
dopelabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2017, 12:08   #4
np356

@@@
np356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2017, 19:02   #5
dj001

Radio Tuner is now showing album art in its iPhone app. They have a proprietary scraper, which manages to display art for just about every track.
Old 11th June 2017, 07:16   #6
keijo

My 2 cents...

What about Nobex Radio (Partners)? With their "White Label" enrollment I've been able to stream to iPhone/iPad (plus Android and BlackBerry) for years. Nothing is lost, from the stream metadata artist/album correctly set, it figures out the art cover and displays it. It evolved over the years to a fine app with lots of customizable widgets.

Having the (NEW and free!) option to create a Nobex personalized app right off from your RMO panel, you get it all sorted out: name, details, stream source, plus it lets you 'push' notifications about upcoming shows to your listeners. In the long run, your stream gets listed for download not only from the App Store, but also from Google Play Store and Blackberry World (yes, it's still up).

Hope it helps...
Keijo!
keijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2017, 13:04   #7
dj001

I tried listing my station on Nobex. The stream checked out, but they did not put it in their directory. Also, iOS app has no "Go Back" function; you have to Browse all over again -- very user-unfriendly. As for Android, it crashes frequently. They have MANY stations with dead streams, and don't have a system to purge down stations. Finally, Radio Tuner's iOS app is the ONLY app that displays album art for every track.
Old 14th June 2017, 06:52   #8
keijo

I'm really sorry you had an unpleasant experience with Nobex. I've been using their app for the last 6 years, can't remember having any deal-breaker issues, but all I had in that thing was my stream, no one else's (White Label, with my logo and such).

In the beginning it was just streaming my station, every title had its album art automatically discovered, just by setting correctly the artist/song tag, still does it now. I'm even playing it now from an old iPhone 3 sitting on its dock-speakers. A BlackBerry Torch that saw better days also plays the station in my work-desk, using Nobex Radio.

As for the Android app, it currently uses HTML5 and several widgets where you can edit what to put in there. Seriously, for what it's worth, I'd sincerely recommend you to give it another chance, and notify Cait@Nobex (she's the one who set me up the sweet White Label partnership) to lend a hand.

I'm not even far from your reputation in the forums/scene, so you are most likely to snatch a much better deal for your radio if you talk to the Nobex gals. They'll put you up and running flawlessly, word.

Best regards,
Keijo!
keijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > SHOUTcast > SHOUTcast Discussions