Old 14th June 2016, 17:01   #1
Worez

REQUEST: searching all of metadata in "Jump to file"

I propose adding a second input box [filter] in the "Jump to file"

Right now it searches just the filenames. If that current one was to search also throughout the metadata, in most cases it would create a chaos. But if there was a second box for that, that would search everything else [tag fields] and not the filenames, then this chaos would be of a lesser degree and would be something optional

And also, if the original filter [just for filenames] and this new one [just for tags] would be working together at the same time, then searches would be even better. Because the user could put first some part of the filename [being presumably also a part of title tag]; and then the user could narrow down search result by writing down something from metadata

I use very often Mp3tag and through it's filter box I can pretty much find quickly anything I want, if I remember how can I look for it [if I remember any kind of metadata like a year, album or artist]. And I works by searching everything [filenames and tag fields]
Worez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2016, 20:55   #2
Aminifu
Forum King

For now, isn't this what the "Search:" and "Refine:" boxes on the media library's smart-views already do? Although, you do need to know how to format the Winamp queries that the smart-views use. The queries can be simple or complex. Information on how to format queries is on the advanced tab of the smart-views editor.

For example, to list all of the media library's audio files by a particular artist in a particular year; you can switch to the "Audio" media library smart-view and enter ?artist 'an artist name' in the Search: box and ?year 'a particular year' in the Refine: box.

You can even make your own custom smart-views so that you can start with a filtered list of items of your own choosing. For example, make a custom smart-view for all the media library's audio files from a particular decade or of a particular genre. Then enter a particular tag field and value (preceded by a question mark) in that custom smart-view's Search: box and a different tag field and value (preceded by a question mark) in the Refine: box to further narrow down the listing. This method gives you 3 interdependent filters with each filter being as simple or complex as you want to make them.

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2016, 02:09   #3
ryerman
Major Dude

Before you guys get too invested in this discussion, consider this information.

The search performed by "Jump to file" searches the Playlist Editor but does not search the Library.
It is all about making a subset of what is already in the active playlist.
And it searches not only file names but also the strings shown in the PE, created by the user-created ATF specification.

Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Winamp 5.666, Bento Skin
ryerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2016, 18:23   #4
Worez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
For now, isn't this what the "Search:" and "Refine:" boxes on the media library's smart-views already do?[...]
I have no idea. I've never used the Library and probably never will.

In order to see it, 99.9% of the time I would need to make a double left click on my Winamp docked at the top in "extra slim" mode and the click on the very small Expand Window button. And then how is it suppose to work? I would need to load a playlist via "Load playlist" button? I have one playlist and one playlist only is what need. The M3U8 file for is as follows:

#EXTM3U
M:\Music
M:\New Music
X:\Even More Music

That playlist is pinned right with Winamp on my Taskbar. That way I get to all of my music with just a single left click on taskbar and then a second left click in a small Tasbar / Winamp menu; no matter what changes I do in those folders. I do not have to generate new playlist after new additions or deletions, because reading whole folder "does that automatically" for me. [I also have pinned to my Winamp icon some technical files, needed for the time when I am editing audio]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryerman View Post
[...]
The search performed by "Jump to file" searches the Playlist Editor but does not search the Library.
It is all about making a subset of what is already in the active playlist.
And it searches not only file names but also the strings shown in the PE, created by the user-created ATF specification.
I didn't quite realize that, and here's why: http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?p=3059645

So if that proposition of my were to be implemented, and so that I would see all my ATF in "Jump to file" and not just bare filenames, this would be a nice workaround. Because in my ATF I have TITLE, ARTIST and YEAR displayed, which is almost always all the data I need to make a proper choice
Worez is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist

Tags
jump to file, search