Old 16th May 2017, 06:07   #1
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

Help: Calculating selling fees

Fellow elementary/rudimentary-level mathematics people, I have a riddle for you, that I cannot seem to resolve on my own. Ebay and PayPal fees are calculates has follows:
  • Ebay fee = ( Shipping price (postage cost) + Sell price (list price) ) * 9.9%
  • PayPal fee = (( Shipping price (postage cost) + Sell price (list price) ) * 2.6% ) + $0.30
In the above screenshot, I have worked out calculations for determining what my net result will be, based on my input of the Ship price and Sell price.

What I actually want to achieve, however, is almost the opposite, i.e. I want to type in my goal net result and Ship price, to determine the required Sell price.

How can I do this without using circular references? I'm attaching my XLSX in a ZIP as a starting point.

Please, make me feel inadequate/stupid and help me figure this out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ebay and PayPal selling fee calcs.png
Views:	73
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	53254  
Attached Files
File Type: zip Ebay and PayPal selling fee calcs.zip (10.9 KB, 28 views)

"My heart hates uggos." –J.D.
iomegajaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2017, 07:45   #2
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

I worked it out. Don't know why I had such a mental block with this.
  • =((Ship_price*0.125)+0.3+Net_result)/0.875

Old 16th May 2017, 17:21   #3
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Location: West Virginia Googolplex: 10^10¹°° FB:/SSJ4.DominusDeus DeviantArt: DominusDeus XboX GT: A Wild Meeseeks Playstation 4: DominusDeus
Send a message via AIM to SSJ4 Gogitta
Most folks I see just use +3% to cover PPGS fees.

"Buy this for $50 (add 3% for PPGS). $3 S&H. Free shipping at $100 purchase. Add $1 per $100 of insurance."

SSJ4 Gogitta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2017, 00:29   #4
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJ4 Gogitta View Post
Most folks I see just use +3% to cover PPGS fees.

"Buy this for $50 (add 3% for PPGS). $3 S&H. Free shipping at $100 purchase. Add $1 per $100 of insurance."
I used to do something like that, i.e. "Eh, _% should cover it", and I invariably wound up short of my desired net result. In your example, for a $50 sell price and $3 actual postage costs, adding 3%* (on $50+$3) would result in revenue of $54.59, fees of $7.91 and net result of $46.68. No bueno.

The point of this exercise is to be more precise; once I work out the minimum that I need to charge in order to cover costs (in this $50 case, it'd be $57.91) I can then round up to a clean number (e.g. $58 or $60).

* I'm not sure what PPGS means; Google suggests it may be PayPal Gifts.

Old 21st May 2017, 03:46   #5
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Location: West Virginia Googolplex: 10^10¹°° FB:/SSJ4.DominusDeus DeviantArt: DominusDeus XboX GT: A Wild Meeseeks Playstation 4: DominusDeus
Wonder if 3% not being enough has to do with you being in Australia? According to PayPal;

"There is a fee to send money as a personal payment using a debit card or credit card. The fee in the U.S. is 2.9% plus $0.30 USD of the amount you send. For example, if you send $100.00 USD by credit card, the fee would be $3.20 USD ($2.90 $0.30)."

So if I bought something from /r/PMsForSale, the sellers typically have the price of the item, ask to add 3% if using PPGS (Goods & Services), plus say $3.50 s&h. In total, I'd send $106.50 for s $100 item.

PPFF = Friends & Family. It's the free options but has no buyer protection like the GS option.

Old 23rd May 2017, 01:06   #6
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJ4 Gogitta View Post
Wonder if 3% not being enough has to do with you being in Australia?
A couple of things:

1. The US PPGS fee you've quoted (2.9% + $0.30) is for paying others (i.e. buying on reddit). The AU PPGS fee for charging others (i.e. selling on Ebay) is 2.6% + $0.30. See attached.

2. You're correct that the rounded "3%" is enough to cover the PayPal fee, so long as the sell price plus ship price comes to at least $100; however, I also need to cover the Ebay fee—a hefty 9.9%!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	google-paypal.png
Views:	19
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	53272  

Old 24th May 2017, 04:56   #7
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Yeeeeeah, feeBay, as it's known. 'Tis why /r/PMsForSale is a great place for stuff.

Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions