Old 26th October 2011, 20:46   #1
darcome

Winamp Mac Sync Beta Questions/Wishes

Hi, I just downloaded the beta but it doesn't import m3u and it has not shortcuts from the windows version

I understand that not all m3u can be imported due to the different path rules between windows and mac, but where if possible it would be nice!!

And I'd really appreciate to be able to use the shortcuts like Z, X, C, V, B and to be able to fast forward/rewind with arrows

However thank you for this porting!!!
darcome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2011, 21:18   #2
justwiseman

So, first impressions are that the player is very basic (no shuffle, repeat, etc). The synchronization seems a little wonky at this point, too. I keep getting errors indicating that Winamp has unexpectedly quit. I'm sync-ing a pretty large library of music (about 21 gigs being put onto my device [HTC Thunderbolt]). I'm happy to work as a guinea pig here to help out sort out any issues with the developer. Really hoping to see a full-featured version of Winamp with a quick sync client for my Apple, as that's something I miss from Windows and it's still my preferred media player for Android. I've been using DoubleTwist but keep getting errors whenever they release update, which seems like every day.
justwiseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2011, 04:29   #3
{-_-}

I am very happy to see Mac Sync. My main use of this software would be to transfer music, videos and podcasts to my phone.

Just a few comments and observations.
  • Would like to see video support implemented. Currently it ignores itunes playlists with videos.
  • Would like to be able to manually update watched folders.
  • Sync button should be deactivated when syncing is in progress; unless there is a compelling reason for it to remain active.
  • Would love to see smart playlists
  • The syncing process does not complete. I am only syncing 40 files. When syncing a second time it does not detect files on the device. Instead it attempts to add all the files on the playlist and throws an error because it already exist on the device..

I know that it is beta, but i hope that some of these issues can be resolved.

Thanks
{-_-} is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2011, 11:35   #4
FageSlalsilla

Thank you!
FageSlalsilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2011, 16:40   #5
isaac2cute

THANKS, it would be nice if you be able to choose artist, album, or songs independently rather than playlist or all music.
isaac2cute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 12:32   #6
Biyobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwiseman View Post
So, first impressions are that the player is very basic (no shuffle, repeat, etc). The synchronization seems a little wonky at this point, too. I keep getting errors indicating that Winamp has unexpectedly quit. I'm sync-ing a pretty large library of music (about 21 gigs being put onto my device [HTC Thunderbolt]). I'm happy to work as a guinea pig here to help out sort out any issues with the developer. Really hoping to see a full-featured version of Winamp with a quick sync client for my Apple, as that's something I miss from Windows and it's still my preferred media player for Android. I've been using DoubleTwist but keep getting errors whenever they release update, which seems like every day.
How are you syncing 21GB to your Tbolt? When I synced to my Bionic... everything went to the internal memory... were you able to put on SD card? Or just doing all internal storage?
Biyobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2011, 18:55   #7
mikevaleWA

Excellent you've started. WinAmp is my favourite mp3 player and has been for over a decade. Recently got a Mac and was flabbergasted there was no version for mac, which is after all a swished up Unix system.

Ok, so you've started, it's a Beta. But. You really need mre to it than it currently is. Essentially I want Windows WinAmp. Not a daft mock up of it. Multi windows, seperate sections etc. I appreciate the way the play list sweeps in from the side in Windows etc.

One specific problem, why doesn't WAfM support M3U's?!? On my system they are greyed out. Maybe it's just me. I like browsing through a file system for my music, I hate media libraries, they are a mess.

Don't mess with the way Windows WinAmp works. Give apple the finger, iTunes sucks and WinAmp for Mac feels a bit too much like iTunes at the moment. If not I for one will be looking elsewhere or continuing to rune WMware Fusion and Windows 7 to use WinAmp on my mac.

Basically just port what you have for windows, please.

Cheers
mikevaleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2011, 13:22   #8
Dagobeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikevaleWA View Post
I like browsing through a file system for my music, I hate media libraries, they are a mess.
So true!

And I would like to see more than one library, each having one or more watched folders, so that I have a simple overview of my music. I need some directories to be seperated (as they are in the file structure).

Watched folders are awesome!

Thanks for starting this project, Mac really lacks a good audio player...
Dagobeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2011, 19:28   #9
two_one

Winamp for mac

I am so glad this is finally here. I just switched to a mac a month ago, and I hate I tunes. That said, the current beta version seems to be like itunes with a winamp shell. but it's beta, so I get it. Like the person said already, seeing the same layout as the windows version would be awesome. It's the version we all know and love. Here are the two features that HAVE to be built into this program.

1. Turn the volume up or down with the scrolling on your mouse (not all of us have a mac mouse), and that feature was awesome on the windows version. Itunes has it but your mouse has to be hovering over the volume control, which seems kind of pointless. With the winamp i used on windows for over 10 years you could do it from anywhere as long as the window was open, and that was great.

2. Fast forward or rewind 5 seconds by using the arrow keys on your keyboard. Again, it is on the windows version, and is probably the BEST feature about winamp IMHO.

I was looking at installing windows 7 via bootcamp so I could still do a number of things that i miss by using a mac, and winamp was one of those things.

So glad it's finally here.
two_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2011, 20:29   #10
Zulithe

I know this is the first release, but unless you are an android user who keeps all of their music on a mac, it's kinda useless... nothing like I expected.

What I expected: something at least remotely similar to Winamp 5.6.x on Mac

What I got: it can't even play FLAC? wtf...

I look forward to future updates.

Wanted list:
FLAC support (obviously)
last.fm support
plugins
skins
a way to view your music by directory structure (a feature I love in a lot of other players)
pretty much every feature in winamp 5.6 (eventually... i hope?)
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2011, 06:15   #11
josh.nz

I would like to add my vote towards file/folder navigation. I don't use tags - a lot of my mp3s are missing tags and I don't have time or care about tags enough to bother fixing this. This includes old mp3s I created before tagging became popular, and even new mp3s that other's have not tagged correctly.

Its important that Winamp for Mac have some sort of file navigation tree option built in otherwise it's useless for me. I'm currently using Clementine because it's the only half decent player with ok file/folder support.

Also, integration with the media keys (back, forward, and play/pause) would be great.

That's about all I need really. Simple. You're almost there. Thanks for the great start!
josh.nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2011, 17:20   #12
justwiseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biyobe View Post
How are you syncing 21GB to your Tbolt? When I synced to my Bionic... everything went to the internal memory... were you able to put on SD card? Or just doing all internal storage?
Do you get two different drives when you mount your storage via usb, or just the one drive for the memory card? When I plug into the computer and mount, I only have the option of using the external.
justwiseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2011, 15:35   #13
sandinak

Also a long time winamp user

Can't stand iTunes, have tried Songbird .. but it's not *quite* there. Please please make a full version of winamp for osx. I'd pay good $$ to have a good player. iTunes is a piece of dren. Thanks for this first run at it .. i'll keep my eyes on this beta.
sandinak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2011, 10:01   #14
Bohn

i miss the playlist window, it is nice to just drag and drop music to the playlist from the library and see them there and arange them in any way... that is the main thing that i like with winamp and if possible that would be a nice option to have i think you get the picture... anyway nice work for doin winamp for mac users, just a litlle more updates and it will be the best player
Bohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2011, 19:11   #15
tytana

Desktop App
- Option to change to lighter skin
- Playcounts and ratings
- Smart playlists
- Re-order and hide categories (eg Genre, Year, Time).
- Choose destination folder for syncing

Sync
- Ability to sync playcounts and ratings between desktop and app
- Eject device from Winamp

I understand the program is in Beta. I really wanted to like it. However, it crashes frequently after syncing, doesn't remember individual playlists to sync, and is somewhat unreliable in locating files from my iTunes library.

I also purchased the Winamp pro app. The playlists don't sync correctly with imported iTunes playlists. The lack of sliding between panes makes it less user-friendly than competitor apps.

Positive notes: Sync Beta consumes less resources than iTunes and Songbird. The app consumes comparable resources to their competitors.

Unfortunately, the stock music player is better and other apps allow what Winamp is targeting to do with sync. I'll take another look at it when it moves out of beta but for now, wouldn't use or recommend it to anyone as their primary player.
tytana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2011, 19:17   #16
tytana

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytana View Post
Desktop App
- Choose destination folder for syncing
To clarify, Winamp automatically synced to my SD card to a Music folder I had created. I created a folder named Test to try out several apps but couldn't use it as a destination folder.

Using OSX 10.7.2, iTunes 10.5, Android 2.3.5 on a Galaxy S2.
Old 16th November 2011, 19:22   #17
tytana

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwiseman View Post
Do you get two different drives when you mount your storage via usb, or just the one drive for the memory card? When I plug into the computer and mount, I only have the option of using the external.
What type of phone do you have?

If by chance a HTC, I saw another forum thread about specific HTC phones not allowing phone memory access via USB without root. I can try to find it, didn't read the entire article since it wasn't applicable for me.
Old 30th November 2011, 03:54   #18
rhythmdriver

I recently had to purchase a Mac for school and, as a long time Winamp user, went to Winamp first for my music playing needs.

Tree navigation, library and playlist windows open concurrently, and multiple file support are missing. Please add these features )

Looking forward to further dev.

Also, is it possible to not have it scan watchfolders at startup? It is lags tremendously
rhythmdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2011, 16:02   #19
aquarianx

I have been waiting a long time to see winamp on mac.

I look forward to seeing the full version very soon. One of the features I would like to see is the ability to transcode and sync a music library to an android phone. Please implement this soon. Thanks.
aquarianx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2012, 10:48   #20
fazy183

Thumbs up

Sorry if im gonna repeat I havent read everything.

My only wish is to have a winamp absolutly same (same look,same functions) as it is on the windows.

Thank you very much
fazy183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2012, 01:35   #21
horstmann

Hey great start! Loving Winamp since MP3 was not famous!

It would be a great option to do on the fly encoding from AAC to MP3 on the device with staying album art or covers.

And i dont know if it is there.... i'd like to write my files direct to sd card.

THX
horstmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2012, 17:08   #22
lucbelanger

MY wishes

hi, i downloaded the beta and i love it.
it would be nice to control winamp from the apple remote. and to see album cover in crowl notification. And to have a menubar option to control the music from an another application. Well Thanks for working hard to make the app available on Mac. I was waiting for long time for it .
lucbelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2012, 16:18   #23
Wisely

It's far too much like iTunes.
This interface is not the least bit friendly.
If I'm into such interface, I'll rather use iTunes since it syncs my iPhone too.

Please bring back what I really missed; the WinAmp that's gone with Windows.
Wisely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 22:59   #24
shadow147

Hey guys, was wondering if there's any way at all to make Winamp your default music player on Mac OSX, as I haven't been able to find one..

Thanks!
shadow147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2012, 21:17   #25
Clancey20164

I would really like to see FLAC support. I don't want to convert all of my files to the Apple lossless and I don't have any programs that support playing FLAC on MAC.
Clancey20164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp for Mac Sync