Old 28th August 2014, 16:55   #1
Aminifu
Forum King

<Alt+3> File Info tag editing

I'm not sure if the behavior I see is intentional or a bug.

When using the arrow controls (at the top of the window) to cycle thru files, editing the tags of some and just viewing the tags of others, the only file updated is the last one being viewed (if it was edited) when the OK button is clicked to close the window.

Previously all files viewed were rewritten even if their tags were not changed, unless the Cancel button was used to close the window. Rewriting also updated the files' modification date (which was proper since the files were rewritten). This caused files that were simply viewed being listed in the "Recently Added" smart view because of the date change.

It appears that viewing a file's tags without changing any of them, no longer causes the file to be rewritten (thus not changing it's modification date) when the OK button is clicked to close the window. However, it now seems that only 1 file can be edited at a time.

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2014, 17:05   #2
DrO

the whole handling of that feature is being changed internally so a) it won't be a hack via the JTFE plug-in (which is the main cause of the lack of correct updating), b) the buttons and options will be somewhat changed to hopefully make it more sane when working with a multi-file selection / update and c) it will hopefully be smarter in detecitng what is actually changed rather than blindly saving when its not needed.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2014, 17:31   #3
Aminifu
Forum King

Sounds good, you were already aware of this. I've been <Alt+3> editing 1 file at a time (on occasion) and just noticed it. My normal practice is to complete a file's tagging (with 3rd party tools) before adding it to my monitored collection, so there is seldom a need for additional editing within Winamp.

The next version of Winamp is sounding better and better. I may finally be able to retire some of my 3rd party tools.

Old 28th August 2014, 17:39   #4
DrO

alt+3 was only ever designed for a single file at a time and what i hacked in was more for viewing purposes than actual editing. to make it work correctly, it's basically requires a proper callback setup so the originate of the request can respond and do UI updates as required whilst being able to keep the dialog open and move / edit between files.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2014, 18:01   #5
Aminifu
Forum King

Since joining the forum, I've learned that many of the behaviors I thought were bugs were instead false expectations on my part. Winamp more often than not was just doing what it was designed to do.

What I like is that with each update Winamp's design meets more of my expectations, so I spend much more time enjoying using it than learning how to use it. However, what I take the time to learn does help me use it better (spend less time doing certain things).

Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports