Old 27th September 2005, 10:02   #1
Benj236

Microphone IS always on?

Hello,
I have searched numerous hours on the boards and went through alot of threads/pages and have not found my answer.

My Problem: I recently downloaded ShoutCast and was following a guide on how to get the music to play whilst doing voice overs... and on completion of the guide it worked. However that night i closed all programs ready to shut down and i found my microphone was still turned on. I was tapping the microphone on the desk and tapping sounds were coming out the speakers. I am unsure of how to get this to stop as its very annoying as I myself can hear my own typing coming out the speakers.

Also as i said, it happens when no programs are open. All are closed and i could be on the desktop and blow into the microphone and i would still hear it.

Any solutions on how to stop this is appreciated.
My Setup of Volume/Recording Controls are in the attacthed screenshot.

Also Thanks In Advance.
And Im sorry if im not clear, just ask some questions and i should be able to answer you.

Benjamin McLachlan
SCREEN SHOT IS LOCATED HERE
EDIT: I Blurred out bits i didnt want you to see (Like the songs list/whats playing/taskbar/status bar in IE)
Benj236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2005, 11:37   #2
dotme

If the mic is a standard microphone (not USB) then your mixer settings are correct, assuming you have it plugged into the Mic port of your sound card and you only have one sound card.

In the top mixer in your screenshot, have you tried selecting "mute" under the Microphone slider?
dotme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2005, 12:24   #3
Benj236

Hello,
I Have a standard headset (microphone built into a set of headphones) and it is not USB. Also I have one sound card. How can i tell the if its in the mic Port and not another one. Also I only have on sound card.

If i select mute, I can no longer hear the microphone, But then i cant hear it when i do "Push To Talk" In shoutcast?

Edit: I found a picture of the mic/headset i use - http://www.verbatim.com.au/productim...15/41646_0.jpg

Edit: I tried it in the other port ( i have one free because my desktop speakers are taking one up) and that had no sound at all when the settings were the same..
Thanks Again
Old 27th September 2005, 12:43   #4
dotme

Quote:
Originally posted by Benj236
[B]If i select mute, I can no longer hear the microphone, But then i cant hear it when i do "Push To Talk" In shoutcast?
But can your listeners? If they can hear it, then you're all good.

If you need to hear it too, you'll have to un-mute it when you're speaking, or getting ready to speak.

I had a very similar setup when I first started doing this (Which wasn't all that long ago...lol)

Here's what I would suggest - it's not elegant, but it worked for me until I moved to SAM3 for broadcasting...

Open up Windows Volume Control (Top set of sliders in your screenshot) and go to Options... Properties.

De-select stuff you don't use - Really, for DJ purposes, you only need to see sliders for Volume Control, Wave and Microphone.

Once you have done that, the mixer takes up a lot less space. and you can leave it open on your Desktop. If it's working well, you don't have to change anything in your Winamp/Shoutcast setup. But when you're going to DJ, just click to un-check the "Mute" box under mic. When done, re-check it. It's only one click, and if it's taking up just a small space on the desktop, it will probably be a good work-around. Sorry I don't have a better suggestion... maybe someone else will be along with a better idea...
Old 27th September 2005, 12:59   #5
Benj236

So you use SAM i take it?
That is better than Shoutcast?

I saw you need to install a Database with it?
Old 27th September 2005, 13:06   #6
dotme

Yep - There are many software solutions out there for broadcasting. I use SAM3 to stream to my shoutcast server instead of Winamp. There are a lot of opinions on which solution is best - fortunately, most offer an evaluation period so you get to play around with the various products and decide which one is best for you.

I chose SAM because I am comfortable with SQL and I liked the feature set. It was a bit of a learning curve but worth it. However, I used Winamp and free DSPs for the first few months to see if I could even attract listeners - I wasn't going to spend a bunch of money on software if nobody came to listen. For me it was an incremental approach - Home-hosted DNAS and Winamp, then as things grew, I upgraded to better and better software, outsourced my stream hosting, etc. None of it happened overnight.

So unless money's no object, I guess I'd suggest deciding if shoutcasting's going to be a long-term project for you before shelling out a lot of cash. Just my 2 cents
Old 27th September 2005, 13:34   #7
Benj236

Well see, I downloaded a copy of Sams3 but couldnt get it to recognise my MYSQL that i have already installed...

What features does SAMS3 have that Shoutcast doesnt?
Old 27th September 2005, 13:56   #8
Benj236

OK, Just checked with one of the listeners. When the Microphone is "muted' in the volume control, they hear nothing. When it is unmuted thats when they hear me talking
Old 28th September 2005, 04:58   #9
Benj236

Ok i also checked with a listener:
-if they can hear me when i press "push to talk" when microphone is on mute. They cannot hear me.
-I checked if they can hear me if i dont press "Push to talk" and if its not muted. The listener can hear me. and the music is soft.

If it is on "Winamp (Recommended)" The listener can not hear me on any of the Volume/Recording Control Settings.

Anyideas Please put forward.
Old 28th September 2005, 06:18   #10
Benj236

Also will someone that has a successful radio working can they please post a screen shot of their setup. Including - Winamp, Shoutcast, recording control and volume control..
thanks..
Just so i can see your setup
Old 28th September 2005, 15:49   #11
roberthines2005

Hi need some help here im new
I do radio quite a bit but now i wont to add my voice.I know its best using headphones ect and to turn off pc speakers. Just wont to know with mic i unclick every time i speak and click when stopped its the the one in recording control or the one in master volume control.
roberthines2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2005, 15:08   #12
roberthines2005

Hello all. To talk on my radio ive do that thing in shoutcast then i clicked open mixer is there any thing in controls that has to have a tick on them.
My master volume control i have volume,wave/mp3,sw synth,microphone
My recording control i have steromix,microphone all of theresare unclicked
roberthines2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2005, 15:42   #13
dotme

click "Stereo Mix" in recording controls - then adjust the levels of Stereo Mix, Wave and Mic on that same panel until you get the right balance of music and mic
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support