Old 3rd April 2009, 06:00   #1
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
shit shit I need a CPU cooler

Transcoding videos and rendering photos runs my processor at or near 100% for up to an hour or more, and the little motherboard speaker buzzes an alarm which is meant to say that things are getting too hot. I have confirmed that the source of the noise is indeed the mobo speaker, and I'm almost 100% certain about it being the sound that is designed to tell the user of heat problems.

Personally, the idea of buying into the uber leet cooling system bullshit is the last thing I want to admit to doing, but it seems that the stock heat-sink fan in my computer is grossly inadequate. Last time this happened, I just opened the case and ran a huge box fan aimed at the entire motherboard, and the buzz warning became intermittent instead of constant. I'm hoping this is a problem that is with the CPU heat, because I have no idea how to cool other components without extensive case modifications.

This kind of CPU-intensive work is something I have to do a lot, so I don't mind spending what it takes to keep things running without that annoying alarm.

Hardforums (the place where I usually ask this kind of question) are not available as the site appears to be down.

The hardware is as follows (it was all put together in September of 2008):

CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115041

Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119158

Motherboard: http://www.gigabyte.us/Products/Moth...ProductID=2842

RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231183

I'd like to run my CPU with all 4 cores at 100% for literally over an hour at a time without that buzz happening. If you have any suggestions, please post here. If you think it's something else causing the buzz, let me know.

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2009, 07:07   #2
S-uper_T-oast
Forum King

Check the temps with a program.
Don't know how this one works, was just the first google result, so I'd virus scan it to be safe:
http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

With a full atx case, you can most likely fit any sized cooler inside as long as there aren't any odd things or anything going on with yoursetup. My suggestion is something from scythe, I've always done well with them for overclocking:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...an%26Heatsinks
None of those seem to be especially cheap except for the mini ninja at the moment, which might work, but its not a certainty. Any of the $40+ ones would definitely work, but be careful about the 140mm one, it might be too big to fit. You can try looking for something cheaper, my general rule is you want the fan with the highest air flow and the lowest noise level. Here is a good website that can help you decide either way:
http://www.frostytech.com/

Your going to need some thermal paste as well which is a couple bucks. Artic silver is the standard pretty much. Read a few things (like any instructions on the pack) about how to install it, it makes a big difference.

Looking at your case, you might also be able to put a few more case fans in that could help things out as well. Again I suggest scythe. Before doing that you'd want to be sure what plugs you have available (3-pin or 4-pin) and make sure you can plug more fans in. Also get the correct sized fan (80mm for your top, 120mm for the rest). Even if there are already fans installed, it wouldn't necessarily hurt to upgrade to a higher air flow, again keeping in mind air flow vs noise level.

Or if you want to get fancy, you could go for a liquid cooled setup, but that can get quite putzy... There are plenty of articles about those on the web if you decide to go that route. If you plan on doing lots of CPU intensive work, that wouldn't necessarily be a bad idea; it would take more money and more effort though.

/edit/
http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsi...#INTELHEATSINK
There is a decent enough thing to follow as well.
S-uper_T-oast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2009, 07:09   #3
S-uper_T-oast
Forum King

(epic fail delete me plz for some reason it won't let me)
Old 3rd April 2009, 07:30   #4
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I am researching your options. I'm only posting to add that I have not (so far) made any attempts at overclocking with this machine, but if I find that it can handle it after this fix, I might give it a shot.

The case is absurdly large, so size probably isn't an issue, although the rear fans might be a little close to where the CPU is. I'll post pictures later. I worry that the case is big enough to slow the air movement provided with the included fans. If it's a CPU heat problem, that won't be much of an issue though, since in that case everything else is probably already relatively cool, but the RAM tends to heat up too, especially when rendering photos with the aid of a RAM disc, so I'm curious to know if that's part of it.

Old 3rd April 2009, 11:53   #5
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Since the machine isn't getting hot to crash or give errors during rendering, it's safe to assume you're not going to do any damage running it short term at whatever temperatures it's reaching. Long term, if it's running really warm it may shorten its lifespan, but it's likely to still last longer than you'll be using it for those types of duties.

Run Prime95 (4 threads, in-place large FFTs) to stress the CPU and use core temp to monitor temps. Note the highest temp it reaches when it starts to beep.

Enter the bios > PC Health Status > CPU warning temperature. Note the setting, then change it to disabled. Test with Prime95. If it stops beeping when core temp reaches the same temperature and passes it, you'll know it's CPU heat (or at least sensor) related. Re-enable if you want to.

To remedy the problem, here's what I'd try...

Make sure the CPU heatsink/fan isn't covered in dust. A heatsink caked with dust is next to useless. If it's clean already, go to the next step, otherwise clean it and test again.

Next, disable CPU smart fan control (same bios menu). Sometimes, it doesn't work properly and the fan will still be spinning at a low speed even at relatively high temperatures.

If that doesn't help, the next thing I'd try is re-seating the stock heatsink, replacing the thermal interface material (TIM) with some decent aftermarket stuff (preferably silver loaded) at the same time.

Finally, replace the heatsink with something chunky. The (copper core, low profile) stock heatsinks that intel have been supplying with their low-mid range 45nm quads have been sub-par in my opinion. The copper core high profile stock cooler supplied with the 65nm quads and early 65nm duals were better performing.

If it's still beeping and core temp isn't reporting high temps (anything under 70 is fine) then it may be a faulty sensor, in which case you'll either want to disable it or RMA the board.
Atmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2009, 13:21   #6
P$ycHo™
Flakmonkey!

Quote:
Originally posted by S-uper_T-oast
Don't know how this one works, was just the first google result, so I'd virus scan it to be safe:

Coretemp is an awsome tool, best program to monitor cpu temps imo.

the link you posted is the official homepage so it should be save.

as for cooler:

im running a C2D E6850 here (at the stock 3.0 ghz) and i have a Zalman 9700LED here. my temps dont even go over 50° C in the summer anymore on full load playing UT3 all maxed.
P$ycHo™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2009, 13:21   #7
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Quote:
Not sure about quads, but with 45nm duos Core Temp reports too high values. RealTemp works better.

Also, if you're getting a bigger cooler make sure it comes with proper mounting (ie. not the crappy push pins that are only adequate for stock heatsinks), or can be used with a separate one like the thermalright bolt-thru kit.

I've got a Noctua NH-U12P which came with everything you need to mount it (including silver goo and even a long screwdriver). For my E8400 it's overkill, keeping the CPU below 40°C at 100% load without even spinning up to 9V, so for a Q9550 it should be just right.
gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2009, 21:19   #8
ujay
Forum King

Me too gaekwad, lovely heatsink.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....11#post2392611

I'll post some temp figures later.

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2009, 22:10   #9
ujay
Forum King

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

[edit] worth noting, this was built for silence so all fans except the power supply are fixed speed, CPU and case fans all at 1000 rpm.

Most remarkable are the voltage lines, not a movement from idle to full. (except the CPU that's supposed to vary)

UJ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sp32-20090304-154605j.jpg (188.2 KB, 206 views)
Old 4th April 2009, 00:54   #10
rockouthippie
Banned

Re: shit shit I need a CPU cooler

Quote:
Originally posted by swingdjted
Transcoding videos and rendering photos runs my processor at or near 100% for up to an hour or more, and the little motherboard speaker buzzes an alarm which is meant to say that things are getting too hot.
Stock cooling should be well sufficient to keep a not-overclocked CPU with all 4 cores at 100% running forever, not just an hour. Something is wrong. Motherboard thermal sensor? Motherboard bios overheat detection set for too low a value? (my guess) No heat sink compound (did u forget)? Overclock utility misconfigured? Does the CPU fan have a wire dragging on it that keeps it from spinning? Bad cpu fan? You absolutely should not have to employ any auxiliary cooling at normal clock speeds unless maybe it was 104 degrees outside. The stock cooling system is designed to keep the CPU well cool enough by a good margin.

If you really do need to get cooler in the case, try running one of your case fans blowing in and the other one blowing out. My office gets real hot in the summer and it keeps me from having to run underclocked when we get 100+ degree days. Air conditioning gives me asthma.

Part of your own diagnostic technique tells the tale. You blew a giant fan on it. It still beeped. I'd check the bios and see if that temp alarm is set to a realistic value. If it's at the low end of the choices, bump it 10C.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 4th April 2009 at 01:24.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2009, 03:08   #11
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Well, in less than a minute of running Prime95, the temperatures of the cores jumped over 80 degrees Celsius and the buzzing began. Heat sink compound comes pre-applied and portioned on the unit. At idle the temps are in the mid 50s.

The case's design already has front 120mm fans blowing in, rear 120mm fans and top 80mm fan blowing out.

The CPU fan was very clean (all air intakes are filtered), almost brand-new looking, although I took a canned air gun to it just in case.

The stock fan did increase speed by at least two additional speeds as the heat went up, but not by a lot. I could tell by the pitch of the sound.

I will try disabling the CPU temperature warning in bios to see if the warning still happens. If so, that would mean something else is heating up. If not, then I guess I need to cool the CPU better. I'll report back when done.

Old 4th April 2009, 03:42   #12
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

The alarm was initially set at 60; I reset it to 80, (still buzzed), then disabled, and the buzz no longer happened during stress testing. CoreTemp & RealTemp were reading up to 97 during testing when I decided to stop.

RealTemp readings were mostly consistent with CoreTemp, sometimes higher, sometimes lower, but only by a degree or two.

The stock cooler is braced pretty firmly, and after re-mounting, no change.

I guess I'll be in the market for something better. Having an all-in-one kit (all mounting hardware, thermal grease, etc. in one package) would be best and easiest, and having something with a back mount would be ok for me, even if it means ripping everything apart to get to the back of the motherboard; because it'll be reassuring that there's a good firm mount.

The picture is old; there are a bunch more expansion cards jammed in there now, but that's not something that will matter.

Despite the case being so big, the CPU is still incredibly close to rear case fans, and that might be a size concern. The beer can be moved out of the way though...

I might need some advice on how to measure to tell if a particular unit will fit or not. There's almost an inch (around 2 cm) from the leftmost part of the current CPU fan and the rightmost part of the case fan.

Last edited by swingdjted; 4th April 2009 at 04:13.
Old 4th April 2009, 07:27   #13
Paul_Bags
Major Dude

In what orientation are the fans set up? I'd set the 2 rears to blow, the top to suck, and I'd want something else on the front as well. And then some cooling for whatever drive you have, wherever they be mounted.

I remember one time I had a machine designed with one input fan at the front. I turned it around just for kicks, and sure enough it overheated almost immediately. That case itself was noticeably warm. So yeah, airflow is meant to bring air in, take it over the components, then flush it out the back. Anything else is pure fail.
Paul_Bags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2009, 07:54   #14
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Current fan configuration:
*Two 120mm fans intake over HDD arrays in front,
*One 80mm exhaust fan on top,
*Two 120mm exhaust fans on rear,
*One large (much bigger than 120mm) intake fan on bottom of PSU (that air never enters the case though, since it enters from under/outside the case and exhausts out the back).
*One video card built-in fan takes in-case air and runs it through the video card and out the rear,
*One small portable hard drive fan pulling (in-case) air into the enclosure, over the HDD, and then out the rear of the enclosure (this "external" drive is in the case, taking air from within the case and exiting within the case; it was the only place I could find for it at my desk).
*And finally, that stock CPU heat sink fan. ~80-100mm

Overall, the exhaust air coming out of the case isn't noticeably warm at all, just feels about the same as the air in the rest of the room.

Just for fun, I tossed an old thermometer in the case above the video card near the CPU, right where the air exits through the rear fans. Before putting the thermometer in, it read 72 degrees Fahrenheit (22.22 Celsius for the room temperature), and about 84 degrees (28.89 C) after being in the closed case for about 20 minutes. I would guess that's rather acceptable, but if not, let me know. These measurements were done during light computer work though, nothing intense going on right now other than a large file transfer (a couple hundred gigs of media from one internal disc to an external - different external than the one mentioned above).

If you suggest any models of coolers, keep in mind I'm not at all trying to impress anyone or meet any aesthetic design standards, so if it's ugly and effective, I'll take it just as quickly as I'd take something meant to impress. The goal here is to edit media safely, quickly, and quietly.

Thanks for the replies so far; I've actually learned a lot since starting this thread.

Old 4th April 2009, 08:46   #15
Paul_Bags
Major Dude

30C ambient is fine last time I checked, been awhile since I've played with this stuff. Also, is that an open grate at the bottom of the case there? In that case forget what I said, exhaust at the top is fine, and it sounds like your airflow is quite balanced.

And thats about the end of my usefulness. My CPU sees 100% for maybe 30-45mins on the rare occasion, other than that it's near idle. I've never had to install a non-stock CPU fan. I'd suggest an intake fan on the side of the case aimed at the CPU, but I think it would push intake pressure higher than exhaust, turning the bottom grate into an exhaust which you do not want.

I'd want a heat sink thats about twice as thick with a fan thats got about 1.5x the airflow. At least. But as I said, that opinion comes without experience, and I can't point you to brands/models.
Old 4th April 2009, 08:52   #16
S-uper_T-oast
Forum King

Yah I'm prolly heading over to goose island at clybourn on the 9th. XD

That case is also massive. I could live inside there.

Now from my opinion, I'd stick a nice large passive cooler on there and upgrade those exhaust fans. There should be plenty of airflow over it and plenty of fresh air getting sucked in from the intake. I'm obsessed with ultra-quiet though.
Old 4th April 2009, 09:23   #17
Paul_Bags
Major Dude

Quote:
I'd stick a nice large passive cooler on there
Like this?
I couldn't find the case I was looking for... the entire surface was finned heat sink, with connectors for everything, looked like it might be a heat sink for a volcano or something.
Old 4th April 2009, 11:47   #18
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Yes, with two 120mm fans next to it a passive heatsink should work very well. But then of course the stock cooler should have worked too.

I'm (still) not quite convinced those temp readings are for real either, they seem awfully high. Did you check whether the cooler even gets hot? Since you say it's mounted firmly you should be able to cook eggs on it.

As for size, any rectangular tower heatsink would pose no problem (except maybe with the northbridge cooler if it doesn't have enough ground clearance, but you should be able to check that at the manufacturer's website (eg.)), but a Ninja should fit too.
Old 4th April 2009, 19:25   #19
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Heat sink compound comes pre-applied and portioned on the unit.
I don't think that's good enough. As far as I know, you need a thin coat of arctic silver on the CPU before you install the fan. I've never done it any other way, and I've never had a problem. If you remove the cpu fan and you see the thermal compound has melted away in spots that will tell the tale.

Quote:
CoreTemp & RealTemp were reading up to 97 during testing when I decided to stop.
Holy shit. I'm with gaekwad2. That seems so hot as to be on the verge of smoke. Your case looks like a wind tunnel. I'm reluctant to think that's the problem. If your core temperature is that high, and the heat sink is properly bonded to the CPU, the heat sink would be VERY uncomfortable to touch.
Old 4th April 2009, 20:08   #20
fc*uk

Forgive me if I remember incorrectly, but I think you bought a intel core2quad cpu. One of these should work out well for you. I owned one similar, though older, when I bought my AMD64 many many years ago and it was overheating regularly. The unit kept the cpu about 10C cooler at idle and it never allowed it to overheat. It is fairly quiet too.

On a side note: live that psu too. Things comes with a monster load of cables though. I had a hard time hiding them all in my case.
fc*uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2009, 21:28   #21
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Re: shit shit I need a CPU cooler

@ fc*uk

Quote:
CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115041
The model you suggested appears to not support the use of the included back plate for 775 processors. I like the design, especially the use of copper for fins, but it looks a little wide, although it's hard to tell if that would be an issue or not. The fan is 120 mm wide according to specs and has additional heat sink fins for width on top of that. That psu is perfect, except like you said, too many cables, even for me. I wish they had connections on the PSU end so that I only had to use the ones I needed and remove the others. It's not like I'm running tri-SLI or something crazy like that, but the PSU supplies more than enough cables, all of which need to be hidden for something like that.

@ S-uper_T-oast - I wish I could join you on the way to the brewery. Although the case is huge (pic doesn't even show the loads of drive bays), it still overloads one area while making no use of another. The rear exhaust case fans blow a taped ribbon straight out, so I'm guessing they're plenty strong.

@ Paul_Bags - the bottom grate is filtered, as is the front of the case, and a vent on the side that's behind the motherboard. The filtering foam stuff seems like it has next to no resistance, so I'm not worried about that. Very nice case suggestion, but it looks like it would be a dust nightmare.

@ gaekwad2 - Looks like your link means the cooler you suggested will be fine with the motherboard including the tall north bridge heat sink unit; I'm just hoping it works well with those rear exhaust case fans.

@ RoH and G2 - the thermal grease, which looked fine on initial inspection has turned mostly to a solid and chips off instead of wiping off. I think it's fried. The stock cooler does get burning hot to the touch during testing when the alarm sounds. I'm guessing among other shortcomings of this unit, the grease must have dried up while on stock shelves, or it was fried during use. However, if the fins are still getting burning hot, good heat transfer must still be happening.

I think after dealing with these cheap plastic snaps, I'm ready for some bolts and a back plate.

Old 4th April 2009, 22:33   #22
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Re: Re: shit shit I need a CPU cooler

Quote:
I'm just hoping it works well with those rear exhaust case fans.
My exhaust fan is almost exactly in the same place (relative to the mobo) as your lower one, there's a lot of space between it and the cooler. With primarily front-to-back airflow as in your case any rectangular shaped tower heatsink won't come anyway near the back fans since you should mount it in "portrait orientation" anyway.
Old 5th April 2009, 00:12   #23
rockouthippie
Banned

Re: Re: shit shit I need a CPU cooler

Quote:
the thermal grease, which looked fine on initial inspection has turned mostly to a solid and chips off instead of wiping off.
That couldn't be good and it would probably cause an overheated cpu, but the question is which came first, the chicken or the egg? Does the chip get too hot because the compound is fried or vice versa or a little of both? You might want to do a bios reset just to make sure you have voltages, multipliers and FSB speeds the way the should be. Redo the cpu with "arctic silver" and try again. I'd pay attention to the CPU voltage too. If it's over voltage it would dissipate more.

This might be helpful since it uses the internal temp sensor on the CPU.

http://majorgeeks.com/Core_Temp_d5665.html

Last edited by rockouthippie; 5th April 2009 at 00:28.
Old 5th April 2009, 00:34   #24
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I gave it a try; this beta shows about the same temperatures as RealTemp when run side by side.

Old 5th April 2009, 03:57   #25
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I guess I'll be buying a cooler within the next couple days. So far, G2's suggestion looks pretty inviting, but I'm still entertaining other suggestions.

I like having all the mounting hardware and thermal grease in one package that will fit my 775 pin Intel processor, with an included fan.

I like something that will fit near the other junk in the case. The only concerns for size are that tall northbridge heat sink and that bottom rear exhaust fan.

I am going to scrap the idea of saving the stock model, because in addition to other problems, the clips often break loose when I try to snap on the opposite corner. Trying to do both at once bends the motherboard so much that I fear damage. This is reasonable argument for getting something with a backplate. That will give a firm but safe mounting.

I found a place to move the beer. There's an opening between my nose and chin where the beer will fit, so that's no longer a concern.

Hey! I found the perfect model to install!

Brand: Kenmore
Model: 15,000 BTU air conditioner on April 4, 2009 in South Dakota.

Old 5th April 2009, 05:04   #26
Paul_Bags
Major Dude

Now will you use that for your beer or your CPU? Could be a moisture concern with the latter .

Been running prime95 and core temp for the last 15 minutes, sounded like fun. High of 44C, low of 14C. I'll have to try again in summer .
Old 5th April 2009, 06:57   #27
S-uper_T-oast
Forum King

Just played around with realtemp a bit. Compared to speedfan, it reads my GPU temp the same, but both my cores are reading +4-6 on realtemp compared to speedfan...
Old 5th April 2009, 07:57   #28
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
I guess I'll be buying a cooler within the next couple days.
I'd be concerned that a new cooling system isn't going to solve the problem. I mean... geez... the case is WAY fanned... More than I would have used....

I wonder if it isn't a bad CPU? It seems to me that this is a CPU you just bought a little while ago. I think I'd be having a conversation with Intel or your dealer about it.

For curiosity I looked at a system my neighbor has with a Core2quad q9950 in it. It is stock. Under torture test it went from 25C (idle 10 minutes) to 64 C on the hottest core (wow, it's a toaster) in about 10 minutes and stayed there for a half hour not getting any hotter. His system just has a 80mm fan in front and a 120mm in the back.

I'm also wondering? Has your CPU underclocked itself from getting too hot? I think it's supposed to.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 5th April 2009 at 08:24.
Old 5th April 2009, 15:52   #29
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I'm not aware of a "q9950"; I think after making the 9775 they went to i7.

After the 9550 that I have (2.83 GHZ quad), there is a 9650 (3 GHz quad), both of which come with a stock cooler, but the models above that do not come with a cooler.

If a new cooler doesn't do the trick, I'll start investigating the mobo and cpu.

The cpu itself doesn't lighten up on it's own due to high temperatures, but most motherboards will do something like that as a protection feature.

Old 5th April 2009, 17:00   #30
cooky560
Major Dude

Send a message via MSN to cooky560 Send a message via Yahoo to cooky560 Send a message via Skype™ to cooky560
Quote:
[ url=http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/6223/coolerf.jpg][Image][/ url] [/B]
That's one big cooler

Cooky560 - Making Pointless Posts since 8/12/ 2002

WWW.
Victory Requires no explanation, defeat allows none.
All that Evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing
cooky560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2009, 17:46   #31
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
I'm not aware of a "q9950"; I think after making the 9775 they went to i7.
http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Quad-Cor...8953792&sr=8-1

Quote:
The cpu itself doesn't lighten up on it's own due to high temperatures, but most motherboards will do something like that as a protection feature.
It's not a motherboard function, but it does require mobo support. I think all Core2quads have EIST (Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology). Maybe it would help you in the interim to turn it on while you sort the rest of it out.

http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/rese...eng/203838.htm

Last edited by rockouthippie; 5th April 2009 at 18:11.
Old 5th April 2009, 18:47   #32
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Your link goes to a 9550, just like the one in this box. The original post was probably just a typo.

What you posted about SpeedStep is what I was referring to - I just meant that it can't work on its own. I probably should have worded that better.

Old 5th April 2009, 18:54   #33
rockouthippie
Banned

Oops... typo...
Old 5th April 2009, 19:21   #34
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to deeder7001 Send a message via Yahoo to deeder7001
There's a power setting in windows that will enable the use of speedstep. Portable/laptop is the name of the power settings profile in XP. In Vista there is something similar just under different names.

There is no sig.
deeder7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2009, 19:40   #35
rockouthippie
Banned

Yeah, it's in the link to Intel I posted.
Old 5th April 2009, 20:00   #36
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to deeder7001 Send a message via Yahoo to deeder7001
Oh. I guess looking at the link helps.

There is no sig.
deeder7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2009, 15:14   #37
ujay
Forum King

These CPUs are notorious for stuck cores, see the temps posted above.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....42#post2504242

On mine cores 3&4 always report the same value regardless. Intel claim this has no bearing on the trigger point and the chip will throttle back anyway. I've never got anywhere near this point(95 degrees) so couldn't comment.

UJ
Old 6th April 2009, 19:39   #38
rockouthippie
Banned

95 is about Chernobyl.
Old 6th April 2009, 21:58   #39
Step666

Stock heatsinks are never up to the job, they barely keep the CPUs at acceptable temps even when they're not under full load for extended periods of time.
I honestly don't understand why anyone ever uses one.

What you want is this.
Ok, you need to purchase the fan separately but that's not a bad thing - it allows you to choose the best fan to suit your needs, be it a quiet one or just the most powerful one you can get your hands on. Personally I use a Noctua 120mm fan with my Ultra120 Extreme.

Also, regarding the Zalman 9700 that was mentioned earlier in the thread, they're atrocious and I wouldn't recommend them for my worst enemy.
I used to use one before switching to the Thermalright and replacing it was the single smartest move I ever made regarding modding my PC.
Step666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 16:34   #40
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

^That has been rated to be an excellent cooler, however, this has two advantages:
*Price - adding a fan makes it more expensive than the cooler I bought, which is rated about the same. One small box to ship instead of two costs me less too.
*Convenience - the one I bought fits more sizes of fans if necessary for different cooling and quiet needs, plus the one I bought has a near-silent fan included, with variable speeds.

So what did I buy?

G2's suggestion for the Noctua NH-U12P won me over. After reading all the above advice and then researching hardforums when their site came back up, there was just no better alternative for quiet yet very effective air cooling.

The procedure for ripping my case apart, labeling wires, and getting the motherboard out was long, but worth it for the stable/secure backplate mounting.

The procedure for properly mounting all hardware for the cooler was very easy with the included instructions.

The hardest part of the whole process was putting the stuff I had to rip apart back together, but still not too bad.

The cooler's fan is much quieter at full speed than my already quiet case fans (in part due to the dampeners between the fan and fins, smooth bearings, and the notches cut from the blades), so I feel no need to use speed limiters that were included in the package for slower quieter running, and besides, the motherboard will increase and decrease the speed of the CPU fan as needed anyway. The fan colors are ugly, but I really don't care about that at all.

After about a half hour of Prime95 stress testing (all 4 cores at 100%), the temperature was holding around 47 degrees Celsius, rarely topping out at 50, which is an enormous improvement from my having to quit at 97 with the old cooler (and no more annoying temperature warning buzz!). The old cooler is in one of the pics below for comparison. Idle temp is around 42-44, meaning I'm only getting around a 5 degree increase at long-term full load from idle. I may do some light overclocking now that things are safe too.

Clearance from all other components is not at all an issue.

My case now weighs 58 pounds (26.4 kg).

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions