Old 12th July 2002, 19:36   #1
Shenlong
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Shenlong Send a message via Yahoo to Shenlong
Best and worst commercials you've seen on TV...

To start off my best list...

•Any beer commercial; Gotta love 'em!
•"Because with A&W Root Beer, it's good to be thick-headed!"
•Victoria's Secrete...
Dammit...Short-Term memory on good commercials is getting the best of me...

Worst list:

•The Toyota Sienna commercial for the opening of E.T. You know? Where that Toyota Supra pulls up the the Sienna, and starts to hop like a lowrider, and then the Sienna hops up and down too, and starts to fly?
•...I should've changed that last one to "All Toyota Commercials"...
•That old Reebok commercial with the dancing sumo wrestler
•Mazda commercials with that annoying "Zoom-Zoom" kid
•"Dude, you're getting a Dell!" No I'm not...
•The KFC commercials
•7-Up commercials with the new 7-Up guy, he's not funny...
•Speaking of "Not funny", that goes for you too, Carrottop...
•Kia commercials
•Change worst list #1, 2, 4, and 9 to "Most any car commercial"

And I could go on forever with my worst list...

A very close Japanese friend I knew a while ago once said to me "Watashi no koto wo oboeta, onegai shimasu...Yakusoku?"

I forgot his name though...
Old 12th July 2002, 19:47   #2
J. Burnaway
Forum King

Send a message via Yahoo to J. Burnaway
An old time favorite:

The one where GI Joe is driving a toy 300Z and he pulls up to Barbie's house, and the next thing you see is a very gay-looking Ken holding a tennis racquet, while Barbie is driving off with Joe.

I like the beer commercial that has the falcon that goes and gets beer - terrorizing the sidewalk restaurant in the process.

Worst:

I've got to agree with you about Carrot Top
Old 12th July 2002, 19:54   #3
Aeroe
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Aeroe
my fav beer/alcohol commercials:
- Captain Morgan commercials. because it's not a bonfire, unless you can see it from space.
- Mike's Hard Limonade. the evil head, paratrooper aliens, and etc

commercials i hate:
- prescription drugs
- political mud slinging, coming soon to the States
- comcast's bashing of satellite products
- chili's with the backstreet boys singing
Old 12th July 2002, 20:46   #4
Montana
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Montana Send a message via AIM to Montana Send a message via Yahoo to Montana
i hate them McDonalds commersials we have here in sweden

batman
Old 12th July 2002, 20:53   #5
Xerxes
Capitalist Alumni

Send a message via ICQ to Xerxes
Re: Best and worst commercials you've seen on TV...

Quote:
Originally posted by Shenlong
•Victoria's Secrete...
Oh dear, was one of the models leaking on telivision?...
Old 12th July 2002, 21:27   #6
rm'
Banned

Mike, THE HAMMER, Shapiro! I will FIGHT for huge cash settlement!
Old 12th July 2002, 21:51   #7
MetallichicA
Forum Queen

Send a message via AIM to MetallichicA
Hmmmm, as far as worst... when I was at college, there were these ads for a car insurance company that featured two chicks who (I assume) were supposed to be good-looking but instead looked like trailer trash. Anyway, I can only remember two of them, but they were all based on this "Eagleman" character (a guy dressed up in a bald eagle costume). In the first one, this girl wrecks her car, and when her friend comes to tell her she better get insurance, they point into the sky and say, at the same time, "Look! It's Eagleman!" He's then standing right next to them, and they're both holding two huge bird eggs, right where their um... boobies are. That's when they say (also at the same time), "YOU CAN'T BEAT THESE!" in a really idiotic, I-can't-act-worth-a-flip voice. In another, Mancow (a Chicago radio personality kinda like Howard Stern) wrecks his car. When they zoom in, his glasses are crooked, and they blacked some teeth out. The same two girls come over and poor-baby him, and then one says, "What's that?" and the other says, "It's Eaglewoman!" So Eagleman in a dress is then sitting on a nest on top of Mancow's car. Zoom in to two eggs hatching, and two eaglets pop out. The girls say, "Awwwww, look at those low rates!"

Basically any homemade law firm ad is bad.

I'd also agree with all of Shenlong's "bad" list. Especially Carrot Top.

Best ads? AFLAC hehehe. Dodge ads used to be very clever. Good beer ads are the best (yeah, the falcon one was funny). Oh, and the guy whose wife put satin sheets on the bed and he made a flying leap and *swish!* went flying out the window. And of course, Chevy truck ads always make me happy The GI Joe-Barbie commercial definitely was clever
Old 12th July 2002, 22:00   #8
apollos
Forum King

IM YOUR VENUS*, IM YOUR FIRE, YOUR DESIRE!!

PENIS*
Old 12th July 2002, 22:14   #9
QHOBBES
Banned

Send a message via AIM to QHOBBES Send a message via Yahoo to QHOBBES
Fave: The Jack In The Box 70s commercial, forgot the song, damn
Worst: When KFC says "chicken"

p.s. the commericals on Spice are always good
Old 12th July 2002, 22:46   #10
BMWboy

my favriote was a commercial on during the Super Bowl a few years ago. it had this group of pigeons chasing a car, and all but one give up because they can't keep up with the car. the one that dosen't give up ends up running into the garage door.
Old 13th July 2002, 00:01   #11
Merlin
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
(Forum King)

Best: The trailer for the movie Lucky Star, which seems to be a really good film. It looks and sounds just like any other movie trailer, and makes me really want to see the film.

Why is it so good? Because the film doesn't exist at all. It's a Mercedes advert. A Merc sports car features heavily in the trailer, and it's no coincidence.

Link...

as he faced the sun, he cast no shadow
Old 13th July 2002, 01:00   #12
msteed_02

Send a message via AIM to msteed_02 Send a message via Yahoo to msteed_02
the worst commercial ever is the vanilla coke commercial that's like ohh... reward your curiosity... that one sucks real bad.

the best one would prolly be eh... the a&w thick headed commercials
Old 13th July 2002, 01:16   #13
CrowbarTK Hullo
Major Dude

the best coomercial i've seen was actually on a show showing all sorts of commercials. ^^ it starts out with a bunch of little kids all dressed up, their teacher, and some1 dressed in a bunny suit. the guy in the suit tells the kids to find a golden easter egg and they'll wina prize of something rather. the kids and the teacher run off, but a little girl stays behind....

Girl: Mr. Easter Bunny, where's the golden egg?

Guy in Bunny Suit: Sorry, little girl, but you have to find it yourself! (or something like that)

Girl: *really really angry look*

*screen moves to the letter n (for nuts) of a alphabet as the guy in the suit screams*

Guy in Bunny Suit: *pained, squeaky voice* It's in the treehouse!

Girl: Thank you Mr. Easter Bunyn! *runs off*

^^; i still have no idea what was being advertised
Old 13th July 2002, 02:27   #14
Jon Deaux
Major Dude

The worst?
Well, when I was a kid growing up in Dallas Texas the Dallas Times Herald had an ad in which a lady with a pleasant voice sang.
Somehow the telephone number for the Dallas Times Herald became embedded in my memory...it's 748-1414 in case you'd like to know.
"7481414 is like knocking on every Dallas Door.
The Dallas Times Herald classifieds,
save like you've never saved before."
After more than 40 years I still remember every nuance of her voice....every inflection.
If "The SHADOW GOVERNMENT" was programing a "sleeper" for say a Manchurian Candidate, that would be a perfect song......uh,oh.
The best?
None known, but japanese advertisers keep me in stitches.

"Nothing really matters much to me"-Freddie Mercury
Old 13th July 2002, 03:15   #15
Shenlong
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Shenlong Send a message via Yahoo to Shenlong
Trojan Man condom commercials are pretty funny!

A very close Japanese friend I knew a while ago once said to me "Watashi no koto wo oboeta, onegai shimasu...Yakusoku?"

I forgot his name though...
Old 13th July 2002, 04:50   #16
Trigear
bear!

the fosters commercials are great because they're so ridiculously un-pc, trojan man commercials get points for using inuendo perfectly, and sometimes the herbal essences commercials make me chuckle too.

as far as worst, i want to whack the dell guy in the teeth with a metal cricket bat. oh, and the denny's commercials where they take over-weight unemployed 70's sitcom stars (the jeffersons, the cunninghams, etc) and put them in denny's stores. oh yeah, there's a furniture store here in nj called "bushberg brothers". the tv channels all air this commercial for the store starring this large and generally hideous woman named "bertha" who apparently works there. she's got a crack-head smile (missing and crooked teeth) and a horrid complexion. and she says "hi, you all know ME, bertha, for bushberg brothers furniture store..." and i always want to say "yeah, and i wish i didn't."

oh, and this other local store, "newark paint," has these funny, low-budget george lucas parodies... there's arizona ralph, and there's also these star wars parodies. i love those commercials.

[edit] and the truth ads make me want to hurl. i mean, i'm a non-smoker, and i hate the "evils" of tobacco as much as the next guy (in other words, i'm not a philip morris stock holder), but these commercials go too far. we all know cigarettes are bad. anyone who doesn't is probably too young to even pull off getting a pack at the store. putting signs in dog shit and raiding tobacco company lobbies in a "we're so cool, we don't follow the rules" fashion just isn't something i look up to.[/edit]
Old 13th July 2002, 05:05   #17
psyfive
Forum King

Best: The DiJorno commercial where that dumb chick is like Its french.

M&M commercials are alright

Worst: aol commercials where the kid says something like Its super fast. and the old lady says something like nobody has what aol has...

APPLE commercials where they do nothing but bash us pc users and our machines.

DELL.. enough said.
Old 13th July 2002, 07:43   #18
msteed_02

Send a message via AIM to msteed_02 Send a message via Yahoo to msteed_02
I find it rather ironic that we live in a society where advertisements often take center stage over the shows that are on tv..
Old 13th July 2002, 08:43   #19
rm'
Banned

I really dislike anti-smoking ads... what is it... Truth, and Just Eliminate Lies? Yeah... can't believe propaganda can be so blatantly obvious. Ads by Smirnoff/Other Vodka Lables which feature some kind of revolutionary youth nightclub scene are the ultimate in lame. Primary among them being the one where they hijack/transform a subway train into some sort of party mobile. And there is this uberlame Captain Morgan ad in which "spontaneous", clearly staged, song erupts in a bistro.

As for car ads, I really like Mitsubishi. They have a knack for propelling lesser-known artists to stardom (The Wiseguys, Dirty Vegas) There was an absolutely outstanding GM "Detroit Techno" ad once which was superb... and all VW ads are terrific.
Old 13th July 2002, 08:58   #20
steak
Major Dude

All fast food adverts suck eggs….

That one that’s on at night during Christian TV about the guy with the balding problem “hey man you need a hair check!” also sucks

That goes for all car adverts as well, and most other adverts full stop.

Although that historic John West advert with the bear really rocked.

Adverts really are the spawn of Satan. They have put me off TV totally and ruin a nice viewing experience. So much so that I don’t watch TV anymore, even tuning in for star trek is becoming a struggle with the mute button…

People complain that in England you have to pay your TV licence. This is fine and I would gladly pay it, because you know what? there are no adverts on the BBC!

Over here (Australia) we showed that wonderful documentary, “The human body” and it was the last one, you know the emotional one about that guy, burny I think his name was dieing of cancer and they followed him through his last few weeks of life. And just when something really emotional came on and I really felt my heart strings being tugged, they put the bloody adverts on. If you ask me that was very bad taste, and it was also very offensive to me.

*Steak pines for his home BBC and wants this stupid Australian shit off his screen*
Old 13th July 2002, 08:59   #21
Xerxes
Capitalist Alumni

There has been terribly cornball PSA advertisements playing in front of Movies (before the previews!) - sponsered by this mysterious "Foundation for a better life"... does anyone know what i'm talking about? They started after the 11th.

For awhile it was a real bad rendering of the US national anthem, then it was this boy helping his dad wash his car- but now its this awful one with 2 kids frolicking to this folksy song with a guy singing "You're tiiiimes gonna come". In the end one of the kids says "When you make a friend, you make a difference! Brought to you by the foundation for a better life."

I've seen "when you make a friend" like.... oh 10 times now. The last time i saw it I turned around and said somewhat loudly to the person next to me "Will you be my frieeeend!" - the reaction that got informs me that my sentements are not... unique.
Old 13th July 2002, 09:11   #22
Sandman2012
<3 foobar2k
(Forum King)

I think the Foundation for a Better Life ads started before 9-11, but they certainly cashed in on it with that lame-ass National Anthem one (I didn't realize that was one of theirs 'til you said).

Have you seen the one with the biker guy and the two old ladies? [makes vomiting noises] I'm feel very strongly that people need to be more considerate of others than they usually are in our culture, but when the idea is presented by propaganda films made by some ambiguously named foundation with god knows what agenda I get pissed.

Next time I see one of these I'm gonna jump on stage and start slashing the screen with a hunting knife shouting "Be my friend! Be my Friend!"
Old 13th July 2002, 09:18   #23
Xerxes
Capitalist Alumni

Quote:
Originally posted by Sandman2012

Have you seen the one with the biker guy and the two old ladies?
It hasn't came here yet, but the sentence alone is terrifying...

They don't make propaganda films like they used to. I doubt we will ever see another "The Triumph of Will"
Old 13th July 2002, 09:28   #24
Xerxes
Capitalist Alumni

LOL!

In searching for "The Triumph of Will" (An epic nazi propaganda film- and one of the few times propaganda approached high art) I found out that Adolf Hitler has an EXTREMELY long, exaustive imdb listing!

http://us.imdb.com/Name?Hitler,+Adolf

"I told ya I oughta be in pitch'as! Hey, let's do lunch sometime ya!? I'm off to my biweekly facelift appointment.
Old 13th July 2002, 10:05   #25
Mr. 75MHz

I find that zurich advert in England odd with all the flying pigs
Go Here To Watch It...
http://www.zurich.co.uk/CallsPages.jhtml;$sessionid$AA0RHXFZKUYVSCR4SJ2CJBQKH0JGIJFO?PageToLoad=ViewAd
Old 13th July 2002, 10:34   #26
steak
Major Dude

Quote:
I found out that Adolf Hitler has an EXTREMELY long, exaustive imdb listing!
LOL yeah i know, i found that a little while ago when looking for a clockwork orange...

[edit] LOL he's been in star trek and red dwarf.... i would love to be in either of those shows [/edit]
Old 13th July 2002, 11:43   #27
c2R
Stereotype?
(Forum King)

The contenders for the worst commercials I've ever seen are

1. Those ads for Radeon washing powder from the 1980s, and
2. That ad with Declan Swan and his single mum to do with glasses or claims or both or something like that...
Old 13th July 2002, 23:31   #28
Merlin
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
(Forum King)

Declan Fucking Swan? Argh!

and-

"If you've been hurt in an accident in the last three years..."
-the national accident helpline, with that fucking faceless irritating bitch droning on between every fucking program, the same fucking heap of crap every fucking time with different fucking cheesy fake/staged (i tripped over my dress and won £5000!!) bollocks, and what they don't tell you is that the N.a.h. takes 50% of that 5 grand for commission. The SAME ad has been running for at least FOUR years! Fucking change it already!

The Good News Is: Claims Direct has hit financial trouble; not enough cases won. So they can fuck off home with their fucking twat comedy T-sign and stuff it up their ... /me ends rant

as he faced the sun, he cast no shadow
Old 14th July 2002, 00:16   #29
Bilbo Baggins
Wind Chime of the Apocalypse

The best adverts ever created for television were the ITV Digital adverts featuring Monkey and Johnny Vegas. Each was a joy to watch.

Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions