Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Old 5th June 2013, 20:40   #1
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
when the DB files die, where are the friendly msgs/buttons?

so for a long time now, some users have their DB files get nuked, and they lose everything. either ML, history, or both. old news.

however, at one point DrO had screens appear with "friendly" msgs explaining this had happened, and offering a button to push to delete the corrupt files, and create new ones that were blank, but worked.

I actually saw this implemented at one point. but since then, it seems to be removed? meaning, no msg, no button. is this the case? why? if it hasn't been removed, then the last time or two it happened to me, it didn't work.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2013, 17:00   #2
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

You forgot to mention which version of Winamp you were running. If beta, which build. If release, which version. (Including the infamous plugins list)

Would also help if there were a few more details as to how your database got wiped. It could just be that you have triggered a different type of database corruption.

If this was the beta - then don't be surprised things get wiped. This could be a side effect of testing. But from what I have understood there are a lot of changes at how Winamp now closes down which should avoid database corruption.

After your database was wiped, I assume you restored it from backup. Did you manage to repeat the wipe? Or did it just seem random? If repeatable - did it repeat in Safe Mode?

Having this happen during the beta test could be handy if any error reports were generated. Or did this just happen "silently" - without Winamp realising there had been a crash? This could explain why you didn't see any friendly pop-up messages.

No one can answer your question without a few more details. Your details could be rather handy if you are getting repeatable crashes.
Batter Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2013, 20:27   #3
MrSinatra
Forum King

i am asking a question about the code, i am not reporting something about my own situation.

however, i always use the latest ver/release and i don't use any plugins that don't come with winamp.

the question tho is about whether the things i am asking about are still in the code or not. i know i saw the friendly msgs and "fix it" reset buttons at least once, but since then they seem to be gone and i just want to know if that's the case, and why?

(as to your other questions, i don't have any answers)

--
Old 9th June 2013, 00:04   #4
ujay
Forum King

Still there. What makes you think they are gone ?

[edit] Or are you asking how to verify ?

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2013, 01:14   #5
MrSinatra
Forum King

b/c the last time my history page died (not too long ago) I don't recall a friendly msg or button to fix. I had to do it manually. and I seem to recall they were missing for the main DB as well, which I thought was surprising considering I HAD seen them there at some point, but the last time that died on me was longer ago, so I can't really trust the ole noggin.

I could easily be wrong about all of this, so I just wanted to check to make sure that both the main DB and the history one still had the friendly msg and button to fix when they corrupt with all zeroes (or whatever). I figured a dev who can see the code would know if that stuff was still in place or not?

--
Old 9th June 2013, 01:35   #6
ujay
Forum King

The main DB is the only one I use, so have no idea about other DB files. Or even if this was implemented across all dat/idx files.

Why are you asking about something you can verify for yourself ?

UJ
Old 9th June 2013, 01:57   #7
MrSinatra
Forum King

I do not know I can? how would I create corrupt DB files?

btw, in a normal winamp install you will see "History" in the nav tree, and it uses its own DB.

--
Old 9th June 2013, 02:24   #8
ujay
Forum King

You'll need to create the conditions that bring up the message.

Open Notepad (you can type some junk or just leave the file empty) and save as DBname.dat and as DBname.idx. Use them to replace your existing dat/idx files.

When you start Winamp these files will fail to validate and trigger the message, if implemented.

Note. The message appears only if the files fail to validate, just deleting the original files will not trigger the message, but create new dat/idx files instead. This is not exactly clear in the message text.

UJ
Old 10th June 2013, 13:18   #9
DrO

the 5.7 beta only has the message and reset button for main library db failures. the history plug-in does not have the matching support.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2013, 20:05   #10
MrSinatra
Forum King

ah, ok, thx for that update. its a bit of a problem tho, b/c the version history says different. it would be nice to have the friendly msg and button for history as well, as per the ver history.

--
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion