Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Closed Thread
Old 23rd September 2005, 17:16   #121
Viper6

When will winamp support 7.1 ????

I have Creative Gigaworks S750 7.1 but I only have sound coming from the 5.1 speakers.
Old 24th September 2005, 23:25   #122
Kado

@viper6:
Winamp supports surround. It's like this: if the sound is stereo Winamp will output stereo but if the sound is 5.1 Winamp will output 5.1 (using direct sound output). You need a 7.1 sound to make Winamp output in 7.1. If you want a 5.1 sound to play in 7.1 you have to "tell" your sound card to send sound to the additional speakers. Try using your sound card software to configure your sound card.

Old 4th October 2005, 16:13   #123
amano
Major Dude

Hmm. Today HA announced the new LAME 3.97 BETA as being their new recommended MP3 encoder (the prior one being LAME 3.90.3).

It would be great if the WA devs would consider to upgrade the LAME version for their next WA release.

eeeee eeeeeee eeeee eeeee eeeee
8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 88
8eee8 8e 8 8 8eee8 8e 8 8 8
88 8 88 8 8 88 8 88 8 8 8
88 8 88 8 8 88 8 88 8 8eee8
Old 4th October 2005, 16:37   #124
gaekwad2
Foorum King

It would be even better if they'd also update the encoder GUI according to the LAME UI guidelines.

The current one is offering too many options that are outdated, produce inferior results, or may even be broken (last time I tried non-alt-preset vbr the resulting files were abr).
Old 4th October 2005, 17:19   #125
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

We've already updated to 3.96.1 for 5.11 (beta) and made --alt-preset standard the default <3

I'll see if I can get benski to consider upgrading to 3.97, though he was a bit skeptical about using a beta dll.

Don't hold your breath on changes to the UI though, at least not yet, heh.

btw, here's the link to the HA thread
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...howtopic=37574
Quote:
The --alt-presets are now being abandoned in favour of the more flexible -V settings.
Hmm...
Old 4th October 2005, 17:47   #126
YtseJam
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to YtseJam Send a message via AIM to YtseJam
C'mon now DJEgg, you have mentioned 5.11! You MUST reveal some more to us FANBOIZ! MUST!

Old 4th October 2005, 17:50   #127
DrO

bug fixes and a free gerbil for everyone (that enough?)

-daz
Old 4th October 2005, 17:57   #128
YtseJam
Forum King

No?

Old 4th October 2005, 17:59   #129
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=156839 . --> . *
Old 4th October 2005, 18:25   #130
YtseJam
Forum King

Old 4th October 2005, 21:50   #131
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
We've already updated to 3.96.1 for 5.11 (beta) and made --alt-preset standard the default <3
<3 indeed
Quote:
I'll see if I can get benski to consider upgrading to 3.97, though he was a bit skeptical about using a beta dll.
It's been tested by quite a few people and seems to be less buggy than 3.96 (or even 3.93) though his reservations are understandable.
But if you want to be absolutely safe you'd have to wait for the (inevitable it seems ) .1 version of course.
Quote:
Don't hold your breath on changes to the UI though, at least not yet, heh.

btw, here's the link to the HA thread
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...howtopic=37574
Hmm...
The --alt-preset (and --preset) switches still work, they're now synonymous to b320, V0, V2 (and V4 for preset medium).
In fact it's been this way since Lame 3.95 at least.
Old 4th October 2005, 22:28   #132
amano
Major Dude

I think that 3.97 (even beta) is indeed much more tested than any other release for the past 4 years (12 alpha releases with continuing testing efforts!!!). Upgrading to a release that hasn't ever been recommended qualitywise (3.96.1) doesn't make too much sense. Rather just upgrade to a release that is known to produce better quality files (and Beta, RC, Final, .1, ...) releases do not account for quality because they are subjective terms to different developers. Just my 2 cents.

eeeee eeeeeee eeeee eeeee eeeee
8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 88
8eee8 8e 8 8 8eee8 8e 8 8 8
88 8 88 8 8 88 8 88 8 8 8
88 8 88 8 8 88 8 88 8 8eee8
Old 5th October 2005, 13:46   #133
Cianca

Quote:
Originally posted by DrO
bug fixes and a free gerbil for everyone (that enough?)

-daz

and multiuser support

The universal god of light, love, wisdom and rok n rol
Old 5th October 2005, 14:57   #134
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

multiuser wont be "enabled" in 5.11, it'll be there, but you'll have to personally set it up to try it. I assume after release DJ Egg will post a quick and dirty on how to do this so that we can start the public testing process and track down any issues before it hits mainstream.

Old 5th October 2005, 16:57   #135
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Me? Nah, doubt it. Hopefully one of Benski or DrO will do it though, heh.
Old 8th October 2005, 19:58   #136
DJ_D.Musika

don't see much difference in the updates, but got me interested in opening my own shoutcast.
Old 31st October 2005, 23:27   #137
Emperor Xóbel

Whats the story here with the 5.1 talk. I can see its playing in my rear speakers when it didn't used to (using the directsound output). But is it just cloning the front right and left? and is it just monomixing to centre? And how is it creating the sub channel, because I don't have a sub, just a lil set of speakers plugged into the centre/sub jack on my sound card, and with KB surround sound plugin it doesn't play a sub channel, so i just get centre. But how does 5.1 work? I wanna know!!? If it is creating really truly 5.1 then hooray, if it's not, then it's all a cruel hoax. I reckon a proper surround mixer should be part of winamp...just because mp3s only come in stereo doesn't mean anything, I mean, an expensive stereo seems happy to mix old records and tapes and whatnot into some kinda surround effect. They key thing for me is that the rear speakers do something different and create some ambience. It doesn't matter if it's not all officially recorded cinema quality surround, cuz most of us are playing mp3s and mp3s are DODGY. lol. please tell me!
Love Xóbel.
Old 31st October 2005, 23:28   #138
d3x7r0

Send a message via Skype™ to d3x7r0
LOL it was just a joke :P

it's just winamp 5.1, the version that happens to have support for multiple speakers (therefore surround)... But if I'm not mistaken you would have to obtain 5.1 ready mp3s in order for the playback to be correct insteed of just copied like you said.

NOTE: I am Dextro!
Old 31st October 2005, 23:56   #139
gaekwad2
Foorum King

You could look at some of these.

No idea how good they work since I have no surround speakers.
Old 1st November 2005, 00:31   #140
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Hmm. The latest version is 5.111 and therefore this thread should be locked, not revived.

Winamp has supported surround sound / multiple speaker output (or whatever you want to call it) for a fair few years now (link). The first version to natively support aacPlus playback was v5.04. Like d3x7r0 said, it was just a joke (ie. the version of Winamp was v5.1, so they shipped a surround sound aac demo file with it and made the "hardware acceleration" setting in out_ds config to be checkmarked by default).

ps. you've got a couple of hours if you want to post a reply, but then I'm locking this thread after that, heh.
Old 1st November 2005, 04:13   #141
Emperor Xóbel

So its just cloning front right and left to the rear speakers. Thats all I'm asking. Yeah Im playing stereo mp3s.
Old 1st November 2005, 10:18   #142
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

then yes, you're just gettign stereo. you cant magic up extra channels.

surround aacplus files are yummy however.

Old 6th December 2005, 13:01   #143
Jambora

RIPPING CD's

I have downloaded the latest 5.1 edition, but the "free edition"...which I always do before tendering my money for a job seemingly well done.

However, I read, here and there, that even the "free edition" has the capability to RIP from CD's (somewhere it said at a 2x max...whatever.) However using the search pages I've found, I cannot find/follow the instructions to the preferences subject matter/changeable items where such a feature is configured. It's like, in my download...it just isn't there! So...what have I done wrong, and what must I do, to "try" Winamp 5.2 Surround's "ripping" capability? Please help, and feel free to email me personally at jambora@hotmail.com if you'd rather not post here, although posting here answers the question for all the viewers whom may have the similar problem.

Peace to all of you. I've been a steady user of Winamp since it first came out. I was, in part, responsible for the "level" to revert to the "default" level automatically after playing a song that required a special level, instead of remaining at that changed level. I consider it on of my greatest achievements here. KUDOS to the entire WINAMP team!

Jam
Old 6th December 2005, 13:04   #144
d3x7r0

Re: RIPPING CD's

Quote:
Originally posted by Jambora
Peace to all of you. I've been a steady user of Winamp since it first came out. I was, in part, responsible for the "level" to revert to the "default" level automatically after playing a song that required a special level, instead of remaining at that changed level.
What level?

Are you talking about the auto-load presets in the equalizer?

Still if you want to rip cds why not just open up the media library and look for your CD drives in there?

PS: I only eared of surround PLAYBACK, I never eared of surround ripping anywhere...

Old 6th December 2005, 14:26   #145
Jambora

You need to look closer than. It includes "ripping" of audio CD's in the free version (or advertises it at least) but another place indicates that it restricts the free version to 2x. Since posting this, I have gone ahead and paid for the "pro" version, and still cannot find anything wherein I can use Winamp to rip CD's. Perhaps a mistake I made in the download/configuration procedures. I dunno. Just wanted to compare the results to the ripper I already use.
There are many more "pages" available on this, such as in the "help" files, but for your purview...one thing it shows in the "version history". Notice about three of the entries here, for your edification:

Winamp 5.1 Surround Edition
* New: CodingTechnologies AACPlus encoder!
Awesome at low bitrates!
* New: Grand Prize Winner of the Internet Surround Music Project!
KAJE - Hey Buddy (featuring Afrika Bambaataa)
* New: SHOUTcast Wire - A Media RSS Browser and Subscription Service
* New: Predixis Smart Playlist Generator
(Mix your tracks based on what they sound like!)
* New: AOL Radio featuring (((XM))) Free Sampler!
* New: CD Ripping now available at 8x in free version!
* New: Microsoft WMA encoder
* New: Over 200 new Milkdrop presets!
* Update: in_vorbis now returns bitrate in getextendedfileinfo
* Fixed: WMA stuttery playback
* Fixed: out_ds copy button on status tab now works all the time
* Fixed: Much improved ripping and playback with Sonic engine
* Fixed: Video window now resizable regardless of Sidecar
* Fixed: Length of long mp3's now reported properly
* Fixed: Silent install switch now works properly
* Fixed: Simultaneous CD Playback and Ripping
Old 6th December 2005, 14:29   #146
d3x7r0

Like I said if you want to see where the cd-ripper is I suggest you open the Media Library OR press F1 when Winamp is opened.

Old 6th December 2005, 14:29   #147
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

You can find the options for the ripper here:
Winamp > Prefs (Ctrl+P) > CD Ripping

You can find help on how to use the ripper here:
http://winamp.com/support/help/50/Winamp5.htm

Note, as from 5.1 onwards, CD Ripping speed is up to 8x with the free version (was 2x before). Also note that since the latest version is 5.112, with 5.12 due for release very shortly, there's no sense in reviving this old thread. In future, please start a new thread.
Old 7th December 2005, 11:01   #148
Jambora

Ok. I still can't find literally ANYTHING about CD Ripping in any of the places you all have listed above. I can't even find the "library" as indicated. I think that during the initial download, I must have chose not to include various important components. So should I download the latest 5.112 upgrade...and make sure I click on the right things to include there...and go from there? Would that be your suggestion? And thanks for your time. I do indeed appreciate it much.
Old 7th December 2005, 11:20   #149
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Yes. Make sure you download/install the Full or Pro version, not Lite.

From the FAQ

Winamp 5.0x Component List (full list/details of Winamp installation options)
Old 7th December 2005, 12:18   #150
Jambora

Sorry to use this thread one more time, but I need to make sure I do it right. So, I uninstall my current version (which I think I did indeed select "lite" before I'd paid the "pro" fee, and then redownload, and install the full Pro version, and then when the point arrives, use my supplied SN...correct? Or is there a simple "upgrade" that would be a faster and/or safer method?

Thanx again.
Old 7th December 2005, 12:29   #151
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

No need to uninstall. Just download the Full or Pro version and install it straight on top.

The only difference between the Full and Pro installers is that Pro asks you for your regkey during installation, whereas with Full you need to enter it manually afterwards via: Winamp > Prefs > Winamp Pro > Enter Registration Key.
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion