Old 16th March 2007, 02:05   #41
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

If anyone was experiencing a crash in in_dshow when rescanning your Local Media folders (the crash was occurring when scanning folders on network drives containing video files), then I've added this to the Known Issues section of the 1st post:

-Crash when rescanning ml folders containing videos on a network drive | fix | info

Please try the new in_dshow.dll and confirm whether it fixes the problem or not.
Old 16th March 2007, 05:27   #42
cmtea

Deleting Duplicates

Hi

I downloaded the beta becasue I read in one of the forums that the playlist remove duplicates function would work.

Either I am doing something wrong or it is not functioning. If it is funcationing could you please let me know how to use it correctly, also does it just delete from playlist or computer. And if that is an option, please let me know how to delepte duplicates from computer, for some reason I have many duplicates of same file names and need some automated way to delete them.

If you could help that would be much appreciated.

Peace

And thanks for whippin the lamas ass so long........
Old 16th March 2007, 07:18   #43
Juanus
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Juanus
Winamp client version: 5.34 build 1155 Beta winamp caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005) in module pmp_ipod.dll at 001b:04663229.

Exception handler called in Winamp.

Hello Devs,

I know that I read some posts about this type of problem in the past, but I thought that I would post it in this forum to make it official.

Winamp 5.33 with no 3rd party plugins. (Clean Install) Winamp Essentials Pack version 5.33 Windows XP SP2 AMD 64X2 3800+
2 gigs of RAM

When syncing my Ipod, winamp crashes. Everything goes great till it gets to the end. I am transfering 7567 songs to the IPod and approx. 500 playlists. Nothing is being transcoded. Everything will work and it will complete the syncing of the playlists and that is when the crash happens.

So I will restart winamp and eject the Ipod properly. The Ipod seems to have information on it but I cannot see anything in the artists or playlists selections.

I have attached a file with the errors. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank You.
If I am missing any information that you need, please let me know.

This is the same problem referenced in the threads below.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....07#post2138607

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....70#post2146670
Attached Files
File Type: zip report.zip (23.7 KB, 365 views)
Old 16th March 2007, 08:32   #44
DrO

Quote:
Originally posted by Benski
The crashing of audioscrobbler on WMA/WMV streams has been known for some time (about a year now). Hopefully last.fm can fix the problem.
wasn't aware of that though i never use those streams (i think that showed from my previous post and i'd have to heavily censor the irc log i had going during the testing )

cdysthe: by the general response on issues with the winamp plugin, i think option 3 from my post will be quicker coming than an official fix (based on their lack of fixing other issues with the plugin *cough*unicode support*cough* )

-daz
Old 16th March 2007, 10:06   #45
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by code65536
I'm not seeing how relevant authenticity is in Winamp's context (well, okay, I'm not seeing how SSL in general is relevant in Winamp's context either ) esp. since the web-browsing component of Winamp uses an embedded IE and not jnetlib.
Like you said, the ssl is in jnetlib, and used for the streaming of media, rather than the web components (aside from the fact that the IE portions of the media library make use of jnetlib to negotiate data transfers (at least it used to, i no longer use any of these sections).

Point is, people may have set up media sharing services at their house that require ssl, or think of uploading some media to your webserver so you can stream it at work. SSL may be advantageous in those cases, if say, http was behind a proxy, cache, usage strict employer. Who knows.

Your comparison with other applications and their use of TLS is a good catch. We had actually considered the fact that Winamp really didn't need the cert management etc, but Joshua who aided the addition of ssl to jnetlib is a stickler when it comes to cryptography (obligatory plug for www.cryptomail.org).

Now all we need is RTP and SOCKS, and maybe upnp if we ever see a hosted media server.

Old 16th March 2007, 12:47   #46
IAmLordMavis

Unicode: Scrolling in taskbar

Right-to-left alphabets looks like they try to scroll the letters backwards. All the english (and Russian) letters nicely disappear into the left but Hebrew (and Arabic) letters form a jumble at the left side and disappear one-by-one starting from the _end_ of the word.
The scrolling feature in the main window works well with all alphabets because it uses a bitmap. It would be great to have it work in the taskbar too.

WinXP Tablet Edition w/Russian MUI
Old 16th March 2007, 14:43   #47
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Winamp 5.34 Beta, Build 1178 (Preview 2) is now available.

The first post has been updated accordingly

Changelog between Builds 1155 and 1178
* Main thread is now a multithreaded COM apartment (please test EVERYTHING)
* Fixed: Crash when rescanning ml folders containing videos on a network drive
* Fixed: FLAC files showing full path in playlist when ATF is disabled
* Fixed: in_flac trying to play non-existent .flac entries instead of skipping over them
* Fixed: Crash with .flac and .wav files when using CuePlayer plugin
* Fixed: Crash on exit with docked playlist toolbar (ml_local/ml_playlists bug)
* Fixed: ml_transcode crash when deleting last-used enc_* file
* Fixed: Potential crash reading bad .mpeg files (rare)
* Fixed: Potential crash reading bad .mp3 files (rare)
Old 16th March 2007, 15:10   #48
code65536

Problem with the slow MP3 info load is still present in build 1178 (yes, I know, it's not listed in the changelog, so this is probably a superfluous post)
Old 16th March 2007, 15:47   #49
endeavor

devs,

Should I test it again compared to my last post in this thread, or is that still pending?

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....83#post2154783
Old 16th March 2007, 15:53   #50
retchless

I love betas Soooo happy with the fixes in 5.34. Great work!
Old 16th March 2007, 18:30   #51
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

@ endeavor

There's nothing new in this build related to the crash with burning under Win9x.
We've forwarded the problem to the Sonic devs, and await a fix from them.

@ code65536

Okay, the "slower metadata load for mp3's" issue will hopefully be looked into...
Old 16th March 2007, 19:09   #52
djtaylor

I've been asking this for a while now. The installer STILL changes 'cwd' in winamp.ini to the installation directory (C:\Program Files\Winamp). PLEASE fix so that the installer leaves it alone. I do not keep my music in the installation directory, so having to browse to it after every installation gets very annoying!! Thank you.
Old 16th March 2007, 19:14   #53
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Yup, agreed wholeheartedly.
Old 16th March 2007, 19:26   #54
slavas
Major Dude

re: IPv6
do shoutcast supports it?
Old 16th March 2007, 23:41   #55
STanger

Send a message via AIM to STanger Send a message via Yahoo to STanger
NT 3.51

Quote:
Originally posted by Chrissyx
A BIG thanks to all those "silly" devs, who are still supporting us 9X users!
The first version of Winamp I ever ran on a system was 1.666 on a p90 64mb of ram running NT 3.51 Workstation. Yeah it ran but the skins were borked until 1.92 or something like that, well for me they were anyways heh. Sorry but thinking back to the old days makes me a bit nostalgic. heh.

The 9x'rz spoke up and have been heard and that's a good thing !!
Old 17th March 2007, 00:59   #56
filter04

I get massive slow down when adding a couple of thousand mp3s from a mapped network drive. Normally winamp is no less responsive when converting filename to the tag info in the playlist, but now it only converts at about 1 filename a second, and the player is really unresponsive.

If you're unsure of what i mean:
when mp3s are added to the playlist they show up as:
12 - the curse.mp3, and are then quickly converted to Audioslave - The Curse.
Old 17th March 2007, 01:56   #57
airskape

hello
i did a fresh install of the current beta but i still get ??? in the taskbar instead of unicode chars

im not quite sure how to disable JTFE though? i tried unticking the 'use extended jump to file dialog' as it is the only option i found to 'disable?' it

thanks
Old 17th March 2007, 02:29   #58
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

@ airskape

With Winamp closed, you have to remove gen_jumpex.dll from the Winamp\Plugins folder (and you might also need to remove any other 3rd-party gen or input plugins that subclass the main/playlist windows, that is if you've installed any that don't come with the default Winamp package).

Note that by totally disabling jtfe you'll lose a fair few features, eg. you'll no longer be able to queue files to be played next, a fair few entries will disappear from winamp's main & right-click menus, eg. remove duplicates (playlist > rem button), show entry in playlist, add to queue and play (local media view items > send to), playlist > right-click entries > jump to file menu, etc, and you'll also lose all the features/options referenced under Winamp > Prefs > Jump to File, and all the extra features in the Jump to File window, plus the 'browse' button in the 'Playlist Entry' dialog (Ctrl+E), and much more.

As stated in the notes in the first post, DrO is hoping to get a new unicode-based jtfe ready in time for the final release of 5.34. So maybe it might just be more worthwhile to wait for the new version of jtfe instead of removing it. After 9 years of having no unicode support at all, what difference is another few days of waiting going to make?

@ filter04

code65536 also reported a similar issue on page 1 of this thread, and is referenced again in one of my previous posts a bit further up this page. Hopefully it will be looked into and addressed...
Old 17th March 2007, 02:36   #59
ujay
Forum King

Same as filter04 here.
Loading a local folder is as fast as ever, same folder over the network(copper) and it's like wading through treacle.

UJ
Old 17th March 2007, 02:47   #60
airskape

thank you! it works
Old 17th March 2007, 22:36   #61
jph6t
Major Dude

WAV Playback Issues

I am experiencing issues in the playback of a small number of some of WAV files.

I am aware that there are some known issues with WAV playback (some that have been fixed, some that have not) in Winamp ... and know that DrO has created his Waveform Wrapper as a workaround to correct some of these known issues.

What I don't know, is what type of WAV files my selected files are.
And which type of issue I may be triggering.

Example Files:
  1. http://stashbox.org/14844/popup1.wav
  2. http://stashbox.org/14845/popup2.wav
  3. http://stashbox.org/14846/Pop-Up%20Alert.wav
As far as I can tell, the issue I have is after the initial play of the file. When I double-click on a file itself, it will play fine. If I select all three files above, and enqueue in Winamp, the three files will play fine. But once played, try clicking on the files from within the Playlist. Results will vary. Sometimes the files will play, sometimes they will not. For the most part, clicking on the first file in the Playlist will always trigger the playing of all three files. But clicking on the 2nd or 3rd file seems to do nothing.

Perhaps this has something to do with the short length of the files?
Being sound affects ... these files do not even register as a second long.
Old 17th March 2007, 23:28   #62
ujay
Forum King

I think you're right about the short length.
Go to Prefs > Output plugins > DirectSound > Buffering tab and set the 'Buffer ahead on track change' slider to 0. [edit] and disable crossfading as well[/edit]
These are not really the sort of files that Winamp is designed for

UJ
Old 17th March 2007, 23:46   #63
jph6t
Major Dude

Re: WAV Playback Issues

Quote:
Originally posted by ujay
I think you're right about the short length.
Go to Prefs > Output plugins > DirectSound > Buffering tab
and set the 'Buffer ahead on track change' slider to 0.
[edit] and crossfading as well [/edit]
Thanks Ujay, that seems to help with the issue I logged.

Although I think leaving the buffer ahead setting at 0 ms will cause playback issues with CDs ... especially live CDs where sounds is continuous from track to track.
Quote:
These are not really the sort of files that Winamp is designed for
Hmmm. Yeah, you're right. But then again, that's no good ...
as I no way to designate one player for WAVs of less than X seconds,
and Winamp for any WAVs of greater than X seconds.
Old 18th March 2007, 00:51   #64
ujay
Forum King

@ jph6t

Best I can think of is to change the extensions to say '.sfx' and associate with something like Media Player Classic or Microsoft Sndrec32

May suit what you want

UJ
Old 18th March 2007, 03:26   #65
jph6t
Major Dude

Re: WAV Playback Issues

Quote:
Best I can think of is to change the extensions to say '.sfx' and associate with something like Media Player Classic or Microsoft Sndrec32
True, I didn't think to just change the extension on the short length WAVs.
That would enable association to a different player.
Old 18th March 2007, 09:53   #66
supersoker

Maybe this should be addressed to Last.fm, but the client isn't working anymore for flac files under 5.34 beta (nothing shows in fm client), 1.1.4. files under previous winamp versions run fine.

best soker
Old 19th March 2007, 00:48   #67
cppman

I've had the same issue with very short wav's containing sound effects. It never made sense to me that having a larger buffer would cause the files not to play. This is in fact a bug, and hand-waving and saying winamp was not designed to play "short" files does not make any less of a bug.
Old 19th March 2007, 02:18   #68
blm07

For the playlist: FLAC files don't show the entire directory / filename anymore, but now it shows the playlist number, the track number, artist - song and no time. This only happens when the FLAC file has a tag.

it shows:
1. 01. Artist - Song

when it should be:
1. Artist - Song 1:00

I didn't see it in the known issues list, but if this is already being dealt with, then ignore my message

Last edited by blm07; 19th March 2007 at 04:31.
Old 19th March 2007, 07:59   #69
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

@ cppman

It's not a bug [edit] ok, maybe it is, then :-D [/edit]
If out_ds is set to "buffer-ahead on track change" 500ms, and you play a wav file which is less than one second long then it's going to lose 500ms in the pre-buffer.

You could try setting 'buffer-ahead...' value to eg. 200ms, then it might still play the entire short .wav and also (just) maintain gapless playback for files that weren't encoded gaplessly (though you'd probably be best enabling the 'remove silence' feature in the 'Other' tab for those).

@ blm07

Hmm, I can't reproduce that. The time displays correctly in the playlist for all my FLAC files.

Are you definitely using Nullsoft FLAC Decoder v2.0 (from 5.34 beta 1178) and not the 3rd-party flac plugin from the flac 1.1.4 package?

Can you zip up a small sample file, upload it to eg. sendspace.com and post the link here? (don't worry if you just see "url submitted by user", as that's part of the forum's anti-spam policy, where it says that for anyone with 'junior member' status - but moderators/admin can still see the url)
Old 19th March 2007, 13:55   #70
cppman

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg

It's not a bug.
If out_ds is set to "buffer-ahead on track change" 500ms, and you play a wav file which is less than one second long then it's going to lose 500ms in the pre-buffer.

But why is it loosing 500ms in the prebuffer? Shouldn't it not start to play until prebuffering has completed?
Old 19th March 2007, 14:11   #71
code65536

Quote:
Originally posted by cppman
But why is it loosing 500ms in the prebuffer? Shouldn't it not start to play until prebuffering has completed?
Would it be feasible for out_ds to dynamically and temporarily reduce the prebuffer length if the file being played is unusually short?
Old 19th March 2007, 15:53   #72
blm07

Yeah, I'm using the FLAC plugin from the 1178 beta. I've included a screenshot of how it looks in Winamp. Also, I found out when it was tagged with Winamp, the track number isn't in the playlist. When it is tagged with CD-Tag, the track number shows up in the playlist. Either way, still no time. I believe I did a fresh install with that first beta, but used the Winamp.ini from the previous installation.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/sg81y4
Old 19th March 2007, 16:15   #73
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

It doesn't show the number for me, make sure, that you've enabled ATF. Prefs -> Titles -> Advanced Title Formatting and post your ATF string here.

It seems to me that it displays the file name instead of the tag, this is the result of a disabled ATF.

I cannot reproduce the missing time entry in the playlist.
Attached Images
File Type: png flac.png (9.1 KB, 377 views)
Old 19th March 2007, 16:48   #74
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Yeah, is all working fine here.
As Koopatrooper said, it's probably something to do with your ATF string in Prefs > Titles (assuming it's even enabled), or if not, then maybe a problem caused by one of your 3rd-party plugins...
Old 19th March 2007, 17:35   #75
composer

Thanks for this!
Have tried playing CD's and no crashes.

Still, after downloading from CDDB, it updates tracks one by one when played, not all of them at once, like it was in the old version.
Would be nice if this one could be fixed too.
Old 19th March 2007, 18:00   #76
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

@ composer

Hmm... it sounds like you're either using the old 3rd-party CDReader plugin or something, or you need to change the setting in Prefs > Titles to 'read metadata when files are loaded' (instead of 'played').

Other than that, we can't reproduce the problem, heh.
Old 19th March 2007, 18:57   #77
blm07

Yeah, it works with ATF on, this is the first time I've had it on, I didn't think it had to be on to show the time. I'll just simply use %artist% - %title% from now on.

The only bad thing is when a file doesn't have a tag it just shows " - "

Last edited by blm07; 19th March 2007 at 19:22.
Old 19th March 2007, 19:03   #78
Zulithe

Another audioscrobbler problem? Apologies if it is known (not on know issues list on page1):

After updating to Winamp 5.34 beta, ml_audioscrobbler no longer knows what to do with FLAC files. When i open up audioscrobbler in winamp, under playback state it says, "Playing - (Invalid - didn't detect track play). I've tried both the latest official audioscrobber (1.10) and the build included in mlipod (1.1.11p2), same outcome.
Old 19th March 2007, 19:42   #79
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

blm07:

Use the default ATF string:

[%artist% - ]$if2(%title%,$filepart(%filename%))

then it should show the filename, if there is no tag available.
Old 19th March 2007, 21:56   #80
composer

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
...or you need to change the setting in Prefs > Titles to 'read metadata when files are loaded' (instead of 'played').
[/B]
No third party plugins here. What you suggested works, but it is a bit confusing anyway.
First, this updating 'when played' (at default settings) happens only with CD (not if I play a folder of FLAC files, for example), and only the first time - right after data is retrieved from CDDB. If CD info is already in the database, it will display all tracks immediately even with default settings(read metadata when files are played or viewed in the playlist editor(this is the recommended setting)).

So, it is a bug - default setting suggests metadata will be read immediately, if I can see it in the editor, but it does not always happen. Changing settings as you suggested is more like a workaround.

Thanks.
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion