Old 19th March 2007, 22:04   #81
blm07

Alright, everything seems to be fine now. Normally I don't use the advanced naming settings because I like to keep it simple.
Old 20th March 2007, 08:44   #82
pablo.see

Killing Winamp (if it hangs for example) in process explorer cause explorer.exe process to restart.
Old 20th March 2007, 11:56   #83
DrO

pablo.see: do you have any 3rd-party plugins installed since i know that gen_tray_tooltip.dll will cause that happen (since it's not able to clean up after itself properly - especially needed when you're hooking into parts of the shell directly)

-daz
Old 20th March 2007, 12:25   #84
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

If there's ANY 3rd-party plugins installed, then you shouldn't even be posting in this thread ;-)
Old 20th March 2007, 13:54   #85
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
* Fixed: [ml_local] isempty/isnotempty for querying empty/populated fields
Yay, havn't seen this before.

Benski I love you, you haven't a clue, for how long I was waiting for this fix.

This makes ml_local much more usable than it's already is.
Cheers!
Old 20th March 2007, 18:10   #86
Kn0tte
Major Dude

The "TV" button in the video window still does nothing. I know its not in the changelog, but it should be fixed.. Or?
Other than that, the 5.34 Beta2 works very well. Winamp doesnt crash when playing a CD either. I love it..

(Other than that, it would be nice to have the choice between "Classic" and "Modern" songticker in the Modern skin. Sorry for asking about that all the time....)

However, keep up the GOOD work with the beta`s, new versions and stuff.. =)=) You are really great.
Old 20th March 2007, 18:32   #87
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Winamp 5.34 Beta, Build 1195 (Preview 3) is now available.

The first post has been updated accordingly

Changelog between Builds 1178 and 1195
* Fixed: Slow loading of mp3's on a network drive
* Fixed: JTFE (gen_jumpex.dll) causes unicode titles in Taskbar to revert to ??????
* Fixed: ML Simple View search (eg. Local Media root) broken under Win2k
* Fixed: intermittent ml_local crash
* Fixed: pmp_ipod incompatibility with iTunes 7.1
* Fixed: Winamp freezes when seeking paused flac files
* Updated: [gen_jumpex] Jump To File Extra v0.99 (build 333) (changelog)
Old 20th March 2007, 19:12   #88
Stiguk

Vista Issue

Hi,

I attach a screenshot of an issue in Vista, where it doesn't show the winamp application when hovering over the taskbar button.

It also displays the same image when pressing ALT TAB.

As i have the aero theme running, when i press 'Windows Key' TAB, it just displays a black thin bar.

Cheers,

Stig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg winamp issue.jpg (20.0 KB, 486 views)
Old 20th March 2007, 19:13   #89
Kn0tte
Major Dude

Problem with "Jump to file"

* Updated: [gen_jumpex] Jump To File Extra v0.99 (build 333) (changelog)
--------------------------------------------------------
The "jump to file" has now been updated. But I have a problem.
Before the update, I just searhed and then clicked ARROW DOWN to find the song I want, and then click enter to start playing it.
Now in beta3 (preview3), I cant click arrow down after I have searched. I have to click on the list and then I can click arrow down. This is very annoying. I have always searched and then pushed arrow down very fast, and now it doesnt work. I dont know if its a bug, or if it was changed like this, but for me its annoying.
Any reply on this? Can you reproduce it?
Old 20th March 2007, 19:15   #90
DrO

Kn0tte: see this. it didn't make it in the new winamp beta since i'm still testing a few other changes/fixes and in honesty that fix is not worth a .1 build increment. final will have the fix

-daz
Old 20th March 2007, 19:21   #91
Kn0tte
Major Dude

Ok, thanks. I havent read that thread before. But now I know about it. Keep up the good work
Old 20th March 2007, 20:57   #92
code65536

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
* Fixed: Slow loading of mp3's on a network drive
Thanks!

Edit: noticed something new (and extremely minor)... the copyright date on the main About screen still reads 1997-2006...
Old 21st March 2007, 01:30   #93
composer

Still the same bug here with title update after retrieving info from CDDB (with default 'read metadata' setings).
Titles updated only one by one when played, even if viewed in playlist editor.
Old 21st March 2007, 01:50   #94
airskape

edit: nvm fixed it myself
Old 21st March 2007, 06:32   #95
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Quote:
Originally posted by composer
Still the same bug here with title update after retrieving info from CDDB (with default 'read metadata' setings).
Titles updated only one by one when played, even if viewed in playlist editor.
Sorry, but we can't reproduce this.
If the CD is loaded via: Media Library > Rip & Burn > (cd drive)
then all the cddb titles are displayed regardless of the 'read metadata on' setting in prefs.

If the CD is loaded via any other method
(main menu > play > audio cd, or: playlist > add > add folder, etc)
then, if either of 'read metadata on load' or 'on display' are selected in prefs,
the cddb titles are all instantly displayed in the playlist editor window.
It's only if 'read metadata on play' is selected where the cddb titles are read one at a time, as the tracks are played - which is expected behaviour.

What I can reproduce though, is that Gapless CD playback is broken with Sonic again.
It still works fine if using aspi (uncheck 'use sonic engine' in in_cdda config). Grrrmphff
Old 21st March 2007, 07:37   #96
pablo.see

DrO
Yes I have gen_tray_tooltip.dll installed. After removing plugin, things are back to normal.
Old 21st March 2007, 09:06   #97
DrO

thought it would be that one, can't remember if i put a note in the installer for it to cover my back on such things (sure i did though, heh).

rule of thumb, whenever you experience any weird crashes/issues, check and remove 3rd party plugins to track things down that way. alas gen_tray_tooltip in this case will always do what you experienced if it's not allowed to close properly

-daz
Old 21st March 2007, 15:47   #98
composer

Quote:
[B]Sorry, but we can't reproduce this...
How can that be? Just reproduced it on another random computer. Here is what I did.

Uninstalled Winamp, Essentials pack, deleted Winamp folder(so, all plugins with it).
Installed Winamp(1195)-minimum configuration, without agents, visualization, modern skins and other evils - just to play audio, associated with audio files and audio CD's. Did not touch configuration at all!
Inserted a CD. Opened Windows explorer, right click on CD => Play.
Winamp starts, begins to play, and displays Unknown Artist Track 1, ... Track 2,...because CD is not in the local database.
After few milliseconds it connects to CDDB, displays 'success' and updates track 1 with correct artist and track name. BUT, still shows Unknown Artist Track 2 and so on. When it starts to play track 2, it updates that one too. If I now close Winamp and start it again, it will still show tracks 1 and 2 updated, but Unknown Artist Track 3.
But, if I now close Winamp, right click on CD=> Play, it will start playing with ALL tracks updated.
Any other playback of same CD will always correctly show all tracks updated.
If I select 'read metadata on play', then it will always update tracks when played, which is of course expected.
But, if I select 'read metadata when files are loaded', then this bug disappears, and titles are always updated - which even more confirms that it is just a small bug.

Quote:
...Gapless CD playback is broken with Sonic again.
NOW, you are scaring me. Luckily, I am listening my CD's in FLAC - CD drive is too noisy.
But still, I was under impression that there are no physical tracks on CD, just one track with indexes to 'split' it.
Of course, I could be wrong but if that was true, it would mean that there is no such thing as 'gapless' CD playback, because there are no gaps on CD. And, one should be doing something terribly wrong to create gaps between tracks - instead of just playing what is on CD and managing display according to indexes.
Of course, one bug is not a terrible thing, but this (hopefully, non-existent) possibility of wrong approach to CD playback, is.
Would be nice to know it is not true.

Thanks.
Old 21st March 2007, 17:17   #99
Squashed

Err... the installer uses the language of the OS. Can I suppress that? When Winamp installed in English I knew what all the options meant. The German installation text confuses me even though it's my native language.
Old 21st March 2007, 18:37   #100
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

There is a language selection dialog when you run the installer...
Old 21st March 2007, 18:38   #101
Stiguk

Is anyone looking into the vista issue?
Old 21st March 2007, 19:24   #102
Squashed

language selection dialog...argl, the one you click away without taking notice? Yes, you're right.
Doh. I'm feeling stupid. Probably because I am.
Old 21st March 2007, 19:36   #103
DrO

Stiguk: if you are using a modern skin then that's expected and is down to how vista acquires the main window to use. since modern skins just hide the classic skin window (for compatability with plugins otherwise most of them would have had to be updated or just dropped completely) and as such this means that vista will still 'see' the classic window as the main windows associated with winamp instead of the modern skin one. unless there's a way to fool vista or some sort of api, it otherwise means the potential of massive changes to the way that winamp has to work and with modern skins in particular.

so for the time being, like all of the other vista users who've moaned about this OS issue/quirk, there's nothing that can be done and you'll just have to put up with it not looking all nice and fancy in the previews.

-daz
Old 21st March 2007, 19:51   #104
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
language selection dialog...argl, the one you click away without taking notice?
It's your own fault, translations are made for people, who have problems with the English texts or who like to have a translated product. If you don't like my translation, than it's your problem.

The default setting in the language selection dialog is German and it's the best solution, if you don't like it - select English.

And no worries, I doubt that you'll see installer translations in the release builds until Winamp is full translatable. It's just part of the public/internal betas.

And excuse me, that I've wasted a lot of my free time to translate the installer, next time I'll ask you for permission.
Old 21st March 2007, 20:23   #105
Squashed

Hey, sorry Koopatrooper, you got me totally wrong. No offense meant.

What I was saying is that I should have noticed the dialog but wasn't paying attention. Therefore, of course it's my fault and your work is highly appreciated. Sorry for beeing unclear.
Old 22nd March 2007, 00:07   #106
kenwoods

The Media Player reindexer which started the first time I've opened my Winamp after the install, DIDN'T clean up the duplicate entries that were introduced after the first "rescan folders" I did in Winamp 5.33 ....

can I run the reindexer again, manually?
Old 22nd March 2007, 00:30   #107
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

You can force the reindexer to run again by doing the following:

1. Close Winamp
2. Open Winamp\Plugins\gen_ml.ini in Notepad
3. Remove the following lines:

reindex_533=1
reindex_534=1

Save gen_ml.ini

You will now be able to run the old separate Reindex.exe Tool again
and also, the built-in reindexer will kick in again next time you open Winamp / ML.

Note, the location of gen_ml.ini depends on wheher you chose shared or separate user settings in the installer options (program files\winamp\plugins or %appdata%\winamp\plugins).

As for why the duplicates weren't removed on first run, well that's a different issue, and we'll need more information (Windows OS would be a start) to be able to reproduce/fix the problem (I'm thinking maybe short filenames vs long filenames, or maybe an issue with unicode filenames which were originally imported as ansi).
Old 22nd March 2007, 00:59   #108
Zulithe

Re: Vista Issue

Quote:
Originally posted by Stiguk
Hi,

I attach a screenshot of an issue in Vista, where it doesn't show the winamp application when hovering over the taskbar button.

It also displays the same image when pressing ALT TAB.

As i have the aero theme running, when i press 'Windows Key' TAB, it just displays a black thin bar.

Cheers,

Stig
I experience the same... I'd be amazed if it weren't known, it's probably been that way since the early Vista betas. What baffles me is that it shows the classic skin... why is the classic skin even being loaded if I'm using a modern skin? Seems like a waste of resources.
Old 22nd March 2007, 01:06   #109
billyvnilly
Forum King, M.D.

Send a message via ICQ to billyvnilly Send a message via AIM to billyvnilly
You're using VISTA with AERO, and you talk of "waste of resources" ? Right then. I'm off to shoot myself.
Old 22nd March 2007, 07:45   #110
kenwoods

Quote:
You can force the reindexer to run again by doing the following:

1. Close Winamp
2. Open Winamp\Plugins\gen_ml.ini in Notepad
3. Remove the following lines:

reindex_533=1
reindex_534=1

Save gen_ml.ini

You will now be able to run the old separate Reindex.exe Tool again
and also, the built-in reindexer will kick in again next time you open Winamp / ML.

Note, the location of gen_ml.ini depends on wheher you chose shared or separate user settings in the installer options (program files\winamp\plugins or %appdata%\winamp\plugins).

As for why the duplicates weren't removed on first run, well that's a different issue, and we'll need more information (Windows OS would be a start) to be able to reproduce/fix the problem (I'm thinking maybe short filenames vs long filenames, or maybe an issue with unicode filenames which were originally imported as ansi).
I'm using Vista Business and I can't find these lines in gen_ml.ini...
none of the files in my media library are unicode, so this is not the problem...
Old 22nd March 2007, 08:16   #111
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

@ Zulithe

DrO already explained why it's showing the classic skin, 5 posts above yours.

The Winamp Classic skin is the base skin and is built into winamp.exe.
It is always loaded, but is just hidden offscreen when using a Modern skin.
This is why Vista shows the Classic skin for Alt+Tab.
Without a massive rewrite, this isn't likely to change. Sorry.

@ kenwoods

In Vista, Winamp 5.34 and newer will always install with a 'separate settings per user' setup, because by default, Vista doesn't allow write functions for files in the Program Files dir.

Therefore the config files will be in %appdata%\winamp

which on Vista resolves to:

c:\users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Winamp\

and gen_ml.ini will be in the Plugins subdir in there.

Those two lines will be there, probably at the bottom.

reindex_533=1 will be there if you've ever run the separate reindex.exe tool which was released on the forums as a patch for 5.33

reindex_534=1 will be there after first run of 5.34, ie. after the built-in Reindexer has run once.

And as I said, other than that, we still cannot reproduce the problem.
9 out of 10 other users have said that the reindexer removed all duplicate entries (ie. double entries of the exact same files with the exact same path & filename).

You could zip up your gen_ml.ini, and also your main.dat and main.idx files (found in the "%appdata%\Winamp\Plugins\ml" folder), upload them to eg. sendspace.com or stashbox.org, and post the link here.
Old 22nd March 2007, 08:24   #112
DrO

Re: Re: Vista Issue

Quote:
Originally posted by Zulithe
What baffles me is that it shows the classic skin... why is the classic skin even being loaded if I'm using a modern skin?
did you actually read my post where i explained why it is like that? i guess not

-daz
Old 22nd March 2007, 09:09   #113
kenwoods

Quote:

@ kenwoods

In Vista, Winamp 5.34 and newer will always install with a 'separate settings per user' setup, because by default, Vista doesn't allow write functions for files in the Program Files dir.

Therefore the config files will be in %appdata%\winamp

which on Vista resolves to:

c:\users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Winamp\

and gen_ml.ini will be in the Plugins subdir in there.

Those two lines will be there, probably at the bottom.

reindex_533=1 will be there if you've ever run the separate reindex.exe tool which was released on the forums as a patch for 5.33

reindex_534=1 will be there after first run of 5.34, ie. after the built-in Reindexer has run once.

And as I said, other than that, we still cannot reproduce the problem.
9 out of 10 other users have said that the reindexer removed all duplicate entries (ie. double entries of the exact same files with the exact same path & filename).

You could zip up your gen_ml.ini, and also your main.dat and main.idx files (found in the "%appdata%\Winamp\Plugins\ml" folder), upload them to eg. sendspace.com or stashbox.org, and post the link here.
where can I find the reindexer tool to run separately?
Old 22nd March 2007, 11:47   #114
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

The standalone indexer for 5.33 is here.

However, the one built into 5.34beta is exactly the same, as far as removing duplicates is concerned, but it also removes blank metadata fields as well.

If the problem persists, please read my post above again and supply the requested information/files.
Old 22nd March 2007, 13:28   #115
kenwoods

DJ Egg, here are the files you've requested
http://rapidshare.com/files/22247746/winamp.zip.html

[Edit --> DJ Egg]

Reuploaded here (rapidshare sucks)
http://stashbox.org/15323/winamp.zip

Thanks.
Old 22nd March 2007, 16:14   #116
DeoxySynchro

Just wondering could you add the column view in the media library for 'catalogue no.' and 'subtitle' ?

It's really important for me as I edit the Title in English and the japanese in Subtitle column. I would like to view both languages at the same time. thanks.
Old 22nd March 2007, 18:09   #117
blm07

Not sure if I can get this to happen again, but I'll be listening to flac files and playing virtual pool 3. I'll occasionally stop the music for a while, minimize the game and try to play another track. Instead of playing, you see the little visualization go back and forth and the music doesn't play. I think that maybe means it is seeking?

Closing and opening Winamp fixes the problem though. It might be the game, but I didn't notice this behavior before using this beta version.
Old 22nd March 2007, 18:17   #118
Zulithe

Quote:
Originally posted by billyvnilly
You're using VISTA with AERO, and you talk of "waste of resources" ? Right then. I'm off to shoot myself.
Hey! To each his own.
Quote:
@ Zulithe

DrO already explained why it's showing the classic skin, 5 posts above yours.
I see it now, I apologize.

Great work Winamp team
Old 23rd March 2007, 12:16   #119
brainsoft

Winamp, Toaster, Flac

I'm not sure whos to blame but toaster is still having problems with Flac. The toast is changing on track change now, but the MSN now playing still isn't updating on trackk change for Flac. It works fine for mp3 of course. clicking stop and playing a new song is the only way to make it update properly.

Probably not a Winamp bug, but thought it worth mentioning with all the new standard flac support in Winamp now. Flac files are 1.1.4 -8 encoded. Everything seems to be working great now for what I use, just msn titles don't update properly through toaster.

Winamp 5.34.1195 beta
in_flac 2.0 (from above package)
Toaster 0.7.8

Last edited by brainsoft; 23rd March 2007 at 12:32.
Old 23rd March 2007, 17:26   #120
frnzy

Hm. I'm having an issue with Korean characters in the media library.

Both mp3s and wmas with Korean unicode filenames and titles show up as box characters in Local Media. If I send a song to the playlist editor, it shows up correctly in the core Winamp, just nowhere in the ML.

I'm using 5.4beta3, right now, but the Korean characters didn't show up in previous versions either.
Any idea what's going on?
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion