Old 5th September 2007, 18:59   #321
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Okay, I can see you're all getting a bit restless....

There'll be another public beta, hopefully sometime next week.
I can't say much else about it, other than it'll be well worth the wait :-)
Old 5th September 2007, 19:07   #322
DrO

/me plays devils advocate

... or it'll be a load of **** and you'll hate us all for it

-daz
Old 5th September 2007, 19:49   #323
martin.deimos
Android/UI Development

Send a message via ICQ to martin.deimos Send a message via AIM to martin.deimos Send a message via Yahoo to martin.deimos
Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
Okay, I can see you're all getting a bit restless....

There'll be another public beta, hopefully sometime next week.
EXCITEMENT

WebSite: www.skinconsortium.com - Community for Userinterface Design & Coding
Skins: Click Here
Old 5th September 2007, 20:21   #324
Koogle

"other than it'll be well worth the wait" .. I'm gonna take that with a pinch of salt myself, but we shall see.

My signature was just too damn good to be seen here..
Old 5th September 2007, 21:06   #325
DrO

based on your earlier posts, i'll agree with the 'meh' for the album art stuff, i also think it's pointless but then bar 3 small buttons on related ml views there's little that i need to worry about trying to hide for the ML side of things. and anyother changes generally don't show up (one more benefit of being a classic skin user).

for those who need/want album art then the next build should help rectify issues experienced. and for others i guess it'll satisfy their desire for just a new build of any shape and for others it'll leave them with a bitter taste (which is what beta testing is all about)

it's just the typical hard situation whereby you can't keep all users happy all of the time (if at all really). even i find it hard to warrant upgrading to newer winamp versions at times when there's little that i need but then in someways i've got to due to my plugin commitments so i'm bitched on both counts. but then again, minor little changes will make me upgrade *shrugs*

-daz
Old 5th September 2007, 21:51   #326
djpete
Major Dude

To be honest I don't want any more features.
I want Winamp to be more stable without random crashes, faster and if at all poss improvement of the sound quality.
Seems to me already that these issues have been addressed so I am VERY happy.
The rest is just a bonus.

Cheers, Pete

Anything & Everything Winamp - All In One Place...
Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Old 5th September 2007, 22:37   #327
DrO

the sound thing is placebo since nothing's been altered on that respect (going on your earlier post )

-daz
Old 5th September 2007, 22:42   #328
djpete
Major Dude

damn.
What about this theory Daz?
Winamp works faster so less stress on sound engine therefore better processing when going through third party sqrsoft crossfader plugin = better sound.
SORRY to mention the plugin word!!

Cheers, Pete

Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Old 5th September 2007, 22:47   #329
synthetiq

So... my opinion is that after this release we should collect ideas for a major update of winamp.
honnestly, I think winamp already had too much minor updates... they were all necessary of course,
and new features are always welcome.

First idea to winamp 6:
Media library will be the heart of winamp, why not create an online store of AOL within the ML.
Old 5th September 2007, 23:00   #330
DrO

if only we could instigate the HA forum style rule of having to be able to backup comments like that with hard test results / evidence

speed of processing would be irrelevant i believe, it's the accuracy of the processing that is where things come down to with the audio quality.

the only thing i can think off is that you're using a clean install compared to an older existing install which had the 'fast layer eq 3' option enabled (prefs -> plug-ins -> input -> mpeg audio decoder -> decoder tab)

other than that, it'd just be placebo, heh

-daz
Old 5th September 2007, 23:03   #331
DrO

Quote:
Originally posted by synthetiq
First idea to winamp 6:
Media library will be the heart of winamp, why not create an online store of AOL within the ML.
and for those of us who keep using winamp to not have to deal with that sort of thing? that's just making it more like itunes (like the crap of making your own ringtones in the player or whatever crap that they just introduced)/WMP. it once again comes back to too many people wanting winamp to do too many different things and somethings it should never go near imho

-daz
Old 5th September 2007, 23:27   #332
Chrissyx

Send a message via ICQ to Chrissyx
Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
98SE support?

I like "silly devs"!

At the going down of the sun and in the morning ...
we will remember Winamp ♥
Old 5th September 2007, 23:54   #333
synthetiq

Quote:
Originally posted by DrO
and for those of us who keep using winamp to not have to deal with that sort of thing? that's just making it more like itunes
it's just not only doing the same as iTunes/wmp ( )
it's adding features that have produced good results, i think we shoud keep the good ideias...but first of all we still need the ideias for winamp
Old 6th September 2007, 00:28   #334
Ruramuq

Winamp is the best because of it's ideas

Please Devs, improve VIDEO, WMP is bad, Winamp Crashes many times, but even so, it's a lot better, a little slow when it tries to enqueue the video inside a long playlist, crashes too much when seeking the video.. and there's no way to play the video frame by frame(like mplay32.exe) instead of Fast-forward 5 seconds,

WA should solidify as a Media Player..

that's why right now I don¡t care much about albums art, which is nice, but a better database would be even better..

how can I avoid crossfading with videos, is there a global shortcut?, etc..

__winamp classic skin
Old 6th September 2007, 01:50   #335
jmbattle

Oh gosh, please, let's not go down the route of adding more bloat - integrating an AOL store is quite frankly a terrible idea, while additional video/media support is also unnecessary.

In my opinion, Winamp development should focus specifically on audio management and playback - if I wish to watch videos I'll use a dedicated piece of software such as MPC.

As DrO suggests, the developers are unlikely to satisfy the requests of every user. Winamp began life as a music player and should continue to remain so.

Cheers,
James
x
Old 6th September 2007, 02:07   #336
Sawg
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to Sawg Send a message via AIM to Sawg Send a message via Yahoo to Sawg
If you don't want video or online services, they are still unselectable in the installer.

| Brought to you by ^V ^C | The one... the original... no seriously!
Old 6th September 2007, 02:24   #337
Ruramuq

I'm not talking about codecs/formats, using ffdshow is enough. I just ask for video playback improvements..
because album arts, is interesting but I hope they won't forget video. it needs more stability since long ago.

otherwise why winamp allows video playback? if devs are going to focus on audio only. I'm using video with great comfort in winamp, except for random crashes. perhaps people who use audio only, cannot see video as something necessary.. but it is
Old 6th September 2007, 02:36   #338
djpete
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by DrO
if only we could instigate the HA forum style rule of having to be able to backup comments like that with hard test results / evidence

speed of processing would be irrelevant i believe, it's the accuracy of the processing that is where things come down to with the audio quality.

the only thing i can think off is that you're using a clean install compared to an older existing install which had the 'fast layer eq 3' option enabled (prefs -> plug-ins -> input -> mpeg audio decoder -> decoder tab)

other than that, it'd just be placebo, heh

-daz
Daz,
I know this is a little off topic but I have never been in there (as you suggest above) and I now see that it has options for tag reading etc.
I don't use tags and am wondering if I uncheck all of the tag options...would that in theory help with random crashes as it would not be searching for tag info etc?
(Last off topic question I promise)

Cheers, Pete

Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Old 6th September 2007, 02:50   #339
callmeace

Winamp development

I do not want too much bloat. Rather, I would like to see further code optimisation and improvements to decoding accuracy and feature support (i.e. OGG Vorbis 'peeling' if ever.....) - the MP3 multi-channel was nice to see , further MP4 decoding features next?

Legacy Windows supports in furture updates would be great on principle, even if it would be a cut-down version of Winamp.

All improvements where less system resources are used always welcome.

@ all Winamp staff: Thank You for the excellent work which is always appreciated.
Old 6th September 2007, 03:00   #340
PatrickNeil

I think the third panel in the ML is the right kind of innovation for Winamp, and I hope to see that continue. I see the sidecar is making a comeback, good! That's useful. The playlist should be the center of Winamp, not ML, but working with the playlist menu in the ML would be greatly appreciated, I'm sure there's much on the wishlist regarding that. My 2¢.

Patrick
Old 6th September 2007, 03:17   #341
Chris000001

I may have found a bug with the new multi-channel mp3surround support. To test it I went to all4mp3.com and downloaded Beethoven's Allegro Con Brio since I don't have any surround mp3's. A few seconds after I started playing it I decided to fast-forward (by holding down right arrow on the keyboard.) I got about 3/4 of the way through the song before I stopped to listen again. The pitch of the song was too high and wouldn't come back down until I stopped the track and restarted (I tried rewinding, pausing and fast-forwarding again), so I downloaded another song and the same thing happened, but only if I fast-forwarded a lot. Fast-forward works fine for skipping only a small amount of time.

This isn't a clean install, but I can try that if it's only happening to me. I also didn't read all 9 pages so this may have already been reported.
Old 6th September 2007, 04:25   #342
jmbattle

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruramuq
I'm using video with great comfort in winamp, except for random crashes.
Well, that doesn't sound terribly comfortable to me.

May I ask, why do you not use a video player to playback your videos? MPC is an excellent alternative to Media Player with a variety of excellent features - just because Winamp supports the playback of video, it does not necessarily mean that it needs to be the most functional player.

Cheers,
James
x
Old 6th September 2007, 12:26   #343
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

@Chris000001
Yup, I can reproduce the problem with using the right-cursor to fast-forward an mp3surround track. The music then plays Pinky+Perky style. Thanks.

@Ruramuq
If you've been experiencing crashes in previous versions when playing video, then you should have submitted a valid bug report for 5.35 in the Bug Reports forum.
I personally haven't seen any crashes with video playback for quite a long time, and I use Winamp to playback all my videos, including DivX, XviD, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, QT/MOV, AVC/H.264, FLV, MKV, NSV, and more.
Make sure you've got the latest versions of ffdshow and any other required splitters/filters, and confirm that you are not using ANY 3rd-party plugins (dsp effects, crossfaders, etc).
Old 6th September 2007, 13:04   #344
Neorth

I have the same problem as Karl-Johan described some days ago.
I've made a clean install but the problem persist.

Screenshot:
http://goimage.info/pics/78f71c2bf81...f1608c1c49.jpg
Old 6th September 2007, 13:09   #345
Cianca

hey staff, would be cool an option to combine when adding mass songs in playlist also send to playlist generator to makes some playlists or some smart views by genre... for ex. psychedelic, hard rock, pop or other

The universal god of light, love, wisdom and rok n rol
Old 6th September 2007, 13:13   #346
synthetiq

@dj egg
just a question: is there other plugin to play qt/mov ?
because in_qt crashes my winamp 5.32, (and i disabled visualisation)
Old 6th September 2007, 13:59   #347
mynameisnobody

a real great feature for the ml would be "smartview-groups"
like:
+ View1
- subview1
- subview2
- subview3
Think that would great for organising
Old 6th September 2007, 15:04   #348
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Quote:
Originally posted by synthetiq
@dj egg
just a question: is there other plugin to play qt/mov ?
because in_qt crashes my winamp 5.32, (and i disabled visualisation)
5.32? Hmmm...

I use the DirectShow method (QuickTime Alternative & in_dshow), not in_qt.
Old 6th September 2007, 16:16   #349
lordsky

Send a message via AIM to lordsky
Resize error

Hi,

You can't resize the window pane in album list view.

Also, in simple view the new buttons are missing.
Old 6th September 2007, 18:51   #350
DrO

Quote:
Originally posted by jmbattle
the developers are unlikely to satisfy the requests of every user. Winamp began life as a music player and should continue to remain so.
this is why there's a plugin system and most things can be done via 3rd party additions without having to have the dev team to do it all (as has been discussed a load of times before).

unfortunately people want different things (as people generally cause) like how there's the media library centric or playlist centric usage.

ideas overall are good but some either are way out of what can be done or don't fit with what is the winamp way or is a good thing and needs someone (even from a 3rd party point) to implement it. you just can't have everything since there's generally more non-coding users over coding users who have the time/resources/interest to implement things (there's no point in someone coding something if they've no interest in the feature wanted - that's how you get bad/poor implementations as an ill fated ml_burn that i saw proved *shudders* at the horrible memories that evokes)

as annoying as it sounds to a lot of people, if you don't like something then either find someone who can code or do it yourself (is how i eneded up getting into the whole mess of plugin development along with an initial thing of not being able to say no, heh)

now test the current beta some more and see if there's anything else at fault that needs to be fixed before the next build (this does not count win9x support)

-daz
Old 6th September 2007, 18:57   #351
DrO

Quote:
Originally posted by djpete1959
I don't use tags and am wondering if I uncheck all of the tag options...would that in theory help with random crashes as it would not be searching for tag info etc?
it's possible but really you shouldn't be getting crashes when metadata is being accessed from any file (unless there's something massively wrong with the file but then in that case an example file to work with would be more than useful). it really comes down to where and in what part of the player you're trying to use (since i know the album art stuff in the current beta isn't as good as the internally updated version now). other than that i can't really say since i've only ever seen crashes with metadata reads in some internal builds when things were being changed, never anything on a publically available build.

-daz
Old 6th September 2007, 20:19   #352
Ruramuq

jmbattle :
I started using Winamp video because it was easy to deactivate hardware overlay, and get better colors. then it became better and better. and it is good to have video and audio in one single player

DJ Egg
When I play a video continuously, it never crashes, the problem happens when I seek fordward/backwards, there's a point when it hangs, I'm going to reinstall Winamp without plugins including packs or "jump to file", and I'll check it with patience.

happens that I play videos a lot.
for example doubleclick a .mov and it is "enqueue & play", then I use a global hotkeys to play that video when i want, but it seems that winamp sometimes can not load the video in time, and if I press the Global hotkeys too early, Winamp crashes trying to load the video.. this happens more if the playlist is full with songs..

thank you
Old 6th September 2007, 22:50   #353
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

@Ruramuq
That sounds like it's probably a bug in in_qt.dll
Use the DirectShow method instead
(remove in_qt.dll and add MOV to the extension list in in_dshow config).
But yeah, I guess it could also be a conflict/problem caused by some 3rd-party plugin?
Old 7th September 2007, 00:41   #354
Ruramuq

@DJ Egg

I've installed winamp, a clean and minimal install, and in_qt.dll caused crashes, yes, I¡m trying directshow, and so far, I cannot reproduce those crashes, I've installed the last beta, I surely have the last ffdshow, the last quicktime, ..

this might solve most video crashes I had, Thank you, though I understand that 3rd party plugins may introduce instability, but I'll have to test them successively..

Thank you again, very helpful.
Old 7th September 2007, 11:51   #355
gottkaiser

album art view

Hi,

If I change the cover art of a mp3 file which is already in the libary it won't update the album art view to the new cover. Winamp still shows the old cover.
I tried updating the metadata, removing of the mp3 file and rescan of the media libary.
After I changed the path name of the file it worked.

I guess there is some kind of buffer for the album artt which needs to be updated. Maybe you have any idea for this issue?

I use Winamp 5.36 Build 1504 Beta with classic skin and WinXP SP2.

Anyway, the new album art view in the new version is great!
Old 7th September 2007, 13:29   #356
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

yes, at current the cache does not get flushed, and there is no way to clear it without manually deleting the files (see notes in first post).

it'll be fixed in a future build (if it hasnt been fixed internally already).

Old 7th September 2007, 15:24   #357
josser

Send a message via ICQ to josser
Hi!
Sorry about my bad English.

This is a greater update of Winamp that a see anytime early!

But i found one ugly bug that not described on firs 9 pages of this topic.

I'm using Send to > Format converter for group of files (more than one).
When decoding is done there are only first file of group that i selected to decode in the target directory.

I try to found a problem and i understand that every decoded file have the same name as first. So they are simply overwrite first file.
The temporally solution is:
Use "Send to" for each file. (but for big couple of files it is a hard work )

Thanks for Winamp Team! You are doing great job!
Old 7th September 2007, 17:47   #358
DrO

Quote:
Originally posted by josser
I'm using Send to > Format converter for group of files (more than one).
When decoding is done there are only first file of group that i selected to decode in the target directory.
reproduced thanks.

-daz
Old 7th September 2007, 19:41   #359
osmosis
Major Dude

actually it does convert all of the files in the group but makes them the same filename as the first file.

Request: A little SmartView Query Language love.
Old 7th September 2007, 20:02   #360
DrO

you're sort of right, but it was the last file in the list passed to the plugin that was being used a number of times though not that it matters too much now since it's internally fixed if you use the action on the media library views then it should still work, it's just ones that internally pump only filenames to ml_transcode where the issue was appearing

-daz
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion