Old 13th June 2014, 07:18   #1
semar

Default Insane screen tearing in Winamp

Playing videos in Winamp causes tons of screen tearing, I am using the latest version. Playing the same video in MPC or VLC does not produce any tearing.

This maybe a problem with winamp, is there anything I can do via codec setting or winamp settings that could resolve this issue? I tried using the "lock frame rate" setting in Winamp but it does nothing.

I have ffdshow and Haali media splitter installed. I am using a 4890 with latest catalyst drivers.

[edit - moderation]
This post had a hidden spam link
semar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2014, 07:37   #2
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
probably not, winamp isn't good at video.

just out of curiosity, what format / codecs are you viewing?

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2014, 08:19   #3
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi semar,

Are you using the current version (5.666.3516 with the latest patches)? What I have done is replaced most of the Winamp native video codecs for those in the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack (which is updated once or twice a month). FFDShow is needed for some video formats, but LAV Video supports most of them.

A Winamp user put together a step-by-step guide for how to do this. It suggests using the Pro version of Winamp (which I have), but it will probably work with the free version too. The guide is a little dated, it lists older versions of Winamp and the K-Lite Pack. I'm using the latest versions of both with no problems. I'm using a Nvidia GTX 460 gpu, but I think the problems are mostly with the native Winamp video codecs. I'm also using the "Lock video aspect ratio" (with the ratio set for my 16:9 monitor) and the "Synchronize video to screen refresh rate" Winamp video preferences.

If you want to try this approach to helping Winamp play videos, a link to the guide is in post #2 of the thread linked below. If you have some experience then you don't have to precisely follow each step and will know where it is safe to do something slightly different.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....74#post2996774

Of course, the easy thing to do is just use Winamp for music and something like VLC for videos.

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2018, 10:11   #4
LarryScott

I used to have a different player for playing videos in my PC. These days i am using VLC which is a default player installed works good.
LarryScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion