Old 15th January 2011, 00:42   #1
Zevon61

Disconnect w/Winamp 5.601/DSP v2.1.1

I downloaded the latest Winamp and DSP. I connect to the server fine, and broadcast fine.

However, when a new song starts, either by going to the next one in the playlist, or by double clicking it to start it, winamp disconnects from the server. I need to hit connect again, and then I am fine... until the next song starts, then it disconnects again.

This is a new issue for me. I have been a DJ using Winamp and Shoutcast for 5 years. This is the first time I ever encountered this, and it only started with the latest Winamp and DSP install.

I am running Windows 7, but the older versions ran fine under 7.

Any help would be appreciated since I DJ alot, and spent my last shift reconnecting after every song.
Zevon61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2011, 02:31   #2
jaromanda
Forum King

I had an issue when PLAYING dnas 2 streams, whenever song title changed, winamp would freeze (the GUI would freeze while the audio continued fine) ... probably not the same issue, but worth trying the same fix

the fix for playing the stream was to not use bento skin

if you are using bento, switch to modern ... see if that fixes it

"If you don't like DNAS, write your own damn system"

So I did
jaromanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2011, 07:58   #3
DrO

i think the issue is related to the changes made to prevent the plug-in from crashing if a drop out of the internet connection happens or the plug-in passes itself a new packet which otherwise would cause a crash. i've a feeling it's the cause of another user having the plug-in constantly dis-connecting / re-connecting until things stabilise.

what format are the files you're trying to play? i've seen it happen a few times but have never been able (so far) to consistently get the issue to happen which makes it hard for me to debug and try to resolve what is causing the issue (though i can only guess that what i think is causing it at the moment).

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2011, 16:41   #4
Zevon61

I am using mp3 files. I saw you try to fix this for another user, but I thought the conclusion was that DSP v2.1.1 fixed it for them.

Now the good news. After 3 days of trying to figure it out, it has stopped disconnecting. I have no idea what finally stopped it from hanging. I was using the Bento skin, so I changed the skin as suggested above, which did not solve the problem, it kept disconnecting at every song change using Modern skin too. So I went back to Bento, and suddenly the disconnects stopped.

I have no idea if it was the changing back and forth of the skin, or something else I fiddled with that solved it, or if the fix is permanent. However, if someone else has this problem, I hope this at least provides some clue to what the issue is or was.

Thanks DrO
Zevon61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2011, 09:42   #5
DrO

that's very similar to something i've recently been seeing though i'm not too sure on what is the cause of it at the moment (though that is with patched files to resolve the bento issue jaromanda) but there's still some funky things going on in the DSP which could be leading to some of these random issues (doesn't help the DSP isn't working consistently with metadata messages after a disconnect->reconnect cycle).

either way, will keep an eye out on things and hopefully will get to the route of the issue at some point (sooner rather than later i hope).

-daz
Old 13th April 2011, 17:25   #6
Xxavier

Im having the exact same problem.

WinAmp 5.61
DSP 2.1.3

Have reinstalled both in that order and yet the DSP disconnects from my shoutcast server after each track. Any further advice would be most welcome. Ive tried changing skin to no effect.
Xxavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2011, 17:27   #7
DrO

what's the cpu usage on the machine when the song change happens? as if it gets or goes above 100% on the processor core being used then it's likely you'll get disconnected. i've tinkered with the DSP for when the next version is released which decreases the cpu usage of the DSP itself a bit but if it's getting close to a maxed out cpu then you're going to have issues not matter what i do.

-daz
Old 13th April 2011, 17:39   #8
Xxavier

changes from about 0-1% to approx 2-3% so i really dont think thats the issue.
(Thats total CPU Usage from the Performance tab of Task Manager)
Old 13th April 2011, 17:49   #9
DrO

hmm, maybe if you increase the refresh frequency in task manager as the default settings often mis the peak (if there is one). otherwise there's nothing else which i know off that will cause the issue leading to a timeout to be (incorrectly) observed.

-daz
Old 14th April 2011, 08:28   #10
Xxavier

I have now switched back to using Nullsoft Shoutcast Source DSP v1.9.0 and its working perfectly. Obviously using the currently supported version would be preferable but i seem to be getting nowhere by that route.
Old 14th April 2011, 08:38   #11
DrO

well without much information i'm not going to be able to do anything to try to fix whatever it is that is causing the issue in the DSP (which i can only occasionally reproduce now on a test machine i've got access to with the dev version of the DSP that i'm using).

what sort of system are you using (cpu, ram, etc) as maybe that's a factor in things and what DNAS are you using? also what mode is the DSP running in, what encoder is being used, is this all on the same machine or spread out over separate machines?

-daz
Old 14th April 2011, 12:13   #12
Xxavier

Single machine

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920@2.67GHz
6 GB RAM
Windows 7 64 bit

DSP running in Winamp mode, Encoder 2 (DSP 1.9.0) Using MP3 (128kbps, 44.1kHz, Stereo)
(I seem to remember being told to use Encoder 2 for some reason, although i do have to set the Encoder settings every time i start it, since it never remembers).

I dont use the downloadable shoutcast DNAS, I currently stream to a shoutcast webservice which is apparently running SHOUTcast Server Version 1.9.8/Linux
Old 14th April 2011, 16:41   #13
MADxHAWK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xxavier View Post
...although i do have to set the Encoder settings every time i start it, since it never remembers
Seems like you got caught by some of the Win 7 security settings. For some folders win 7 simply denies every writeaccess for applications not running with admin rights. One of the programmfile folders is a secured folder. Maybe your winamp and DSP plugin are installed in this folder. I got same problems with an ftp client storing the connection data in the install folder and not in the appdata folder.

-MAD
MADxHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2011, 16:52   #14
Xxavier

Aha! Yep, thanks MADxHAWK, thats solved that problem at least
Old 14th April 2011, 16:52   #15
DrO

v1.9.x of the plug-in never used the correct folder which Winamp uses for saving it's settings into - not a problem generally on pre-Vista installs but on Vista / Win7 it is an issue as the plug-in is trying to save its settings into the plug-ins folder of the running Winamp install. running Winamp elevated once should allow the settings to be created and saved correctly for future instances (whilst using 1.9.x).

sadly the plug-in was never updated when 1.9.x was released to follow the settings directory otherwise it wouldn't have been such an issue. as such that is one of the things with v2 of the DSP resolves but nothing jumps out from the specs above as to why it's struggling with the title sending issue which is being observed.

will likely send a test build of the DSP once i've got the metadata packet creation changed to resolve some other issues i've been seeing.

-daz
Old 15th April 2011, 16:05   #16
DrO

Xxavier: pm sent with a link to a test build to try out.

-daz
Old 19th April 2011, 03:50   #17
xsploit

I've just noticed this and it's really starting to piss me off. Can i try the test build?
I also just started streaming too, a major buzzz kill if you ask me, also annoying is that you have to minimize the plugin and can't click outside the window while its open
xsploit is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support