• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Darker_666
    • Nov 2011

Stream all library to clients in local network

Hello,
    I have multiple PCs around the house and I don't want to update music on all of them all the time. Is there a way to make one PC a music server and make other PCs access music library and files remotely?
    My imagination:
    On server I start server (set password, decide if library is read only or not...).
    On client I choose to use remote media library. Then I see servers media library instead of mine.

Is that possible?
  • MrSinatra
    Forum King
    • Dec 2004

there are different ways to do things and it depends on exactly what you want to do, but if i understand you correctly i would simply store the files on the server, share them, and then set each player to watch folders on that shared network location.
    PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
    --
    BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
    Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
    Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing

Comment

• Darker_666
      • Nov 2011

This is exactly, what I need, thank you.
      Do you think there is a way to make winamp store tracks locally after they are played in case server was offline?
      Something like cache.

Comment

• MrSinatra
        Forum King
        • Dec 2004

you could dupe / mirror the files on each workstation, but then what would be the point of using a server? and how many files would you cache?
        --

Comment

• Darker_666
          • Nov 2011

All files that are played. But when the server was online, I'd use server files and overwriteexisting cache. (an time-changed stamp condition should be used there)

Comment

• MrSinatra
            Forum King
            • Dec 2004

i'm not sure i really understand the purpose of this or how you want it to work, but regardless, i don't know of any winamp plugins that do it. (of course, i don't use many plugins, so maybe you can find something)

you might want to also look into wake on lan, and rsync, altho it won't behave exactly as you like.
            --

Comment

• Darker_666
              • Nov 2011

Rsync seems to be sort of what I need.
              Now to the purpose - I have ONE CERTAIN PC that contains about 60GBs of music. I don't want to manually update all changes of this library on all other computers. But on the other side I don't want to make other PCs FULL DEPENDANT on the source PC. I want them to save files which they've requested for future use, but overwrite in case of diference betwen cache and original.
              Would a plugin like that be hard to make? Would I have to implement network sharing or can I capture the file downloading progress and replace source path for cache path?

Comment

• MrSinatra
                Forum King
                • Dec 2004

u have to decide what it is you really want... if you want to just stream from a server to workstations, then WoL would prob suffice. but if you want to mirror the library from server to all the other machines, then you update files on server and rsync them to the workstations.
                --

Comment

Working...
                X