Old 18th September 2005, 11:15   #1
Omit Name
mostly harmless
Major Dude

Lightbulb Revolutionary Concepts: Holy Sh!t

using this setup gives you a third arm, without requiring that you be cordinated enough to use it.

>imagine dual weelding and shooting in two different directions at the same time. one looking with your thumb on an analog stick, one with the pointer. (best example would be like on time spliters: theres a button that you hold that changes your look to moving just the crosshair accuratly in your current frame of vision. or the look/zoom button in perfect dark. except there would be two crosshairs. DOUBLE KILL!)

>chasing a foe at high speeds using the (R) analog for accel, brake, steering. while shooting as the driver and passenger at two seprate targets. using the pointer as the driver; taking out the tires of the car infront of you, and (L) analog as the passenger through the window of a car on your side.

>how bout knocking down a crap talking friend with a headshot from a roman candle while doing a double blunt side varial kickflip coffin grind combo.

>or using two completly different weapons simultaneously.
hold r1 to stand ground. changing your analog sticks to your lean(R) and slash(L) (a la knockout kings) of a sword duel. while using the pointer to take out an aproaching enemy over your opponents shoulder.

>flying through the air using the pointer to dodge bullets flying past you in bullet time wilst you pick them off one by one. (dodging would be like going through the openings like rings in flying games except it would be as easy as tilting the controler.)

>the pointer by itself stands as a huge and fresh motivator for r.t.s. games or games like black and white, super monkey ball, katamari, wario ware, or even games that have possible artistic elements (such as tony hawk, getting up, jet grind radio.[graffit or even clan logos])

damnit! i wish i had an easy way of expressing this visually. forgive me for being slightly pretensious but these seem like ideas that would be a tragedy to overlook. post a link to here in as many places you have access to, or quote.(any one brave enough to email ign, gamespot, g4, nintendo?) spread the word make a pool of ideas! (bleh, omit you bloody insomniac.) third arm i tell you! wut are some of your ideas?

"shall we make this revolution ours? eh, why not." or
"this revolution is what you make it"

Last edited by Omit Name; 18th September 2005 at 12:29.
Omit Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2005, 12:30   #2
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Didn't you already post this?
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....92#post1771992
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2005, 12:34   #3
Omit Name
mostly harmless
Major Dude

the pic yeah. this is for ideas about applications of this new way to play. i thought i might post there but if id posted this there it would have just drifted the topic and been ignored. did you notice the gratuitous "holy sh!t" in the title to get attention?

Old 20th September 2005, 14:55   #4
immortal

Send a message via ICQ to immortal Send a message via Yahoo to immortal
More mock-ups

-------

-------

Quote:
Originally posted by PAK-9
Heck, it cant be worse than the PS3's double ended silver dildo.
immortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2005, 16:17   #5
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Some good concepts there, I'm still queasy about having a pile of plug in controllers for individual games though, lets play Ridge Racer, grabs steering wheel, no wait how about Res Evil outbreak, grabs gun attachment and so on and so forth.

Still the steering wheel one interests me, could be cool.
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2005, 16:44   #6
LuigiHann
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to LuigiHann
I don't really see what's the point of the steering wheel one or the gun one, considering neither of them do anything the normal controller can'd do by itself. The only one's nintendo has confirmed so far are they "classic shell" for playing games ported from other systems and the analog stick dealie. Both of these have obvious functionality that will affect gameplay. I doubt Nintendo's going to make a gun or a steering wheel when you can already point the controller like a gun and turn it like a steering wheel without the attachments.

Who is the milkman? What is the purpose of the goggles?
LuigiHann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2005, 02:08   #7
Omit Name
mostly harmless
Major Dude

one of the biggest arguments against this controller has been fighting games. However using this controller especially combined with its shell would mean that fighting games would finally graduate into a true sense of 3d. one analog stick would conrol your feet on the floor the other would control the characters jump/crouch in all directions. and the pointer would act as a lean or dodge control. (the midway between the two.) leaning the controller would be an easy and intutive way of directing the character attacks and dodging your opponents. this way would work very well for a 3d smash bros especially since that game is so much based on the players reaction and control of the game character.

Old 26th September 2005, 08:24   #8
Omit Name
mostly harmless
Major Dude

the wand by itself or with the analog add on will single handedly resurrect adventure games. remember all those adventure games that no longer exist because of combersome interface. (grimm fandango, monkey island,...) in all those games you would search around the screen with your curser till you found something to interact with, click it, and a menu with possible actions would appear. you would then choose witch action to do and move along. with this controller that is no longer necessary. you would simply do want you want to in the world. grab, turn, throw, slap,.... whatever.

even games like morrowind or world of warcraft would be made infintly less intimidating. i would for one welcome the diminished need for constantly clicking.

Old 26th September 2005, 19:12   #9
Phyltre
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Phyltre Send a message via Yahoo to Phyltre
I just realized why this type of control WILL WORK. Every new video game player I have ever watched learn how to play always moves the controller around as though to make the character onscreen move in that direction. Now, that will actually do something.
Phyltre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2005, 18:06   #10
Mattress
Forum King

yeah but after a while you generally stop doing that, so vetran game players will have problems.
Mattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2005, 18:32   #11
Phyltre
Forum King

The reflex is still there. Sure, over time you don't notice it anymore, but people still move the controller around slightly. And honestly, even if you don't, it's no harder to get used to a motion sensor than it is to get used to a new controller configuration in a new game title. The GBA has cartridges with motion sensors, and people adapt quickly.
Old 29th September 2005, 18:25   #12
Mattress
Forum King

true.
Mattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2005, 23:59   #13
Omit Name
mostly harmless
Major Dude

this controller would make a bloody frisbee game fun to play.

Old 1st November 2005, 09:55   #14
MaTTFURY
Major Dude

I generally think thats retarded.

i am not normal, no really.
MaTTFURY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2005, 12:31   #15
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Quote:
Originally posted by MaTTFURY
I generally think thats retarded.
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2005, 14:22   #16
LuigiHann
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to LuigiHann
I generally think you're retarded.
ZING!

Who is the milkman? What is the purpose of the goggles?
LuigiHann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2005, 19:07   #17
Phyltre
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by ElChevelle
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
But WHY?

I'm more than willing to consider alternate viewpoints, but only when they actually exist.
Old 2nd November 2005, 00:43   #18
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

I was quoting him by pointing it back at his post, or in other words, I think his retarded posts is retarded or something like that
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2005, 05:34   #19
Phyltre
Forum King

Oh.

That makes much more sense than the way I read it. I just assumed the point was a mark of agreement, I've seen that done before.

Funny that I accused YOU of HIS error!
Old 3rd November 2005, 13:45   #20
gadgetHacks_k

A lot of controls and switches. Might be good at times.
gadgetHacks_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Community Center > Games Center