Old 29th June 2010, 12:45   #1
SC_faisal
SHOUTcast (Alumni)

OUT NOW: SHOUTcast 2.0!

The all-new SHOUTcast 2.0 is OUT NOW! Check it out at SHOUTcast.com.

This is not just a facelift of the web site but a complete end-to-end upgrade of the SHOUTcast platform. Read on to find out what we have been cooking up for you for the past few months:

What's new for listeners?

All-New Station Directory:
We heard you loud and clear. You wanted easier navigation to find the stations you wanted to hear. You wanted better and faster search. You wanted more options to listen to your favorite SHOUTcast Radio stations. You also wanted the site to look pretty. We're giving you all that, and a lot more! Presenting the brand new SHOUTcast 2.0 Station Directory featuring:

* Improved search: Find music and audio content playing on SHOUTcast 2.0 stations in real time
* Multiple sorting options including station name, genre, number of listeners, bitrate and type
* New genre list makes it easier to find stations
* New bottom bar player lets you listen to music while you browse SHOUTcast stations at the same time or pop it our for more flexibility.
* New Popup player that is also embeddable on your website
* Get station recommendations with the new "Featured Stations" section
* 'Coming Soon' search results searches against what's coming up next on SHOUTcast 2.0 stations*

What's new for Broadcasters and Developers?

We overhauled the engine to go with the shiny new paint. The completely re-written SHOUTcast 2.0 directory platform (aka YP2) and broadcaster tools are a significant leap forward in the evolution of SHOUTcast. Some highlights include:

* All-new SHOUTcast YP2 protocol
* Real-Time 'Now Playing' and 'Coming Soon' meta data updates
* Streaming from port 80*
* Stream multiple stations from a single SHOUTcast server instance*
* In-Stream metadata in standardized XML*
* UTF-8 and international character support*
* Support for multiple file-types including MP3, AAC+, FLAC, WAV and Ogg*
* Improved server and stream security*
* New Wiki for broadcasters

*ATTENTION... In order for your stations to benefit from the new functionality noted above you must upgrade to the new 2.0 broadcaster tools.

Click here to download the 2.0 tools and upgrade now!
SC_faisal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2010, 17:06   #2
Jkey
Forum King

Is the station registration system up and running yet ?
I must be retarded because I cant find it.

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.
Jkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2010, 17:33   #3
bored_womble
Winamp's Womble

when it gets to 0.2 I'll give it another go, but for now ... it seems just the same sc_serv2 as before ? a little buggy, not all the features there and no where to get onto the yp2 ?

BW

Without open minds the world will die. Open yours and correct the mistakes you are making right now.
bored_womble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2010, 18:24   #4
smoothbeats

Send a message via AIM to smoothbeats
How do you open up a stream in Winamp instead of in the web-based player? I don't see an option to do this in the new web design.

Smoothbeats.com
hiphop / nujazz
smoothbeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2010, 22:28   #5
Jkey
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by bored_womble View Post
when it gets to 0.2 I'll give it another go, but for now ... it seems just the same sc_serv2 as before ? a little buggy, not all the features there and no where to get onto the yp2 ?

BW
The second drop is the one I downloaded today ( sc_serv2 drop 02_22_2010 )
I presume that is v 0.2.

I noticed that you cannot download the old sc_serv v1 via the website any more and
that you MUST download and use the new beta drop instead.

sc_serv2 is far too shaky to have as the only available dnas for shoutcast broadcasters to use.
Also with no demo config file and poor documentation that is not clear enough to the average shoutcaster,an incentive for regular broadcasters to switch is not there right now.

sc2 has been 10 years in the making,but is being rushed through right now,which may cause problems down the line.

Anyway thats my morbid input all done

Im back off to the land of the shoutcast free.

Old 30th June 2010, 04:08   #6
bored_womble
Winamp's Womble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkey View Post
I presume that is v 0.2.

I noticed that you cannot download the old sc_serv v1 via the website any more and

sc_serv2 is far too shaky to have as the only available dnas for shoutcast broadcasters to use.
Also with no demo config file and poor documentation that is not clear enough to the average shoutcaster,an incentive for regular broadcasters to switch is not there right now.

sc2 has been 10 years in the making,but is being rushed through right now,which may cause problems down the line.

the title of the download post probably needs updating.

I have given it a quick whirl and can see a few issues immediately (documentation does not match functionality), but will give it a more thorough work out tomorrow.

BW

Without open minds the world will die. Open yours and correct the mistakes you are making right now.
Old 30th June 2010, 11:50   #7
nitromix

Send a message via Yahoo to nitromix
Why replace a stable version with beta?! Where are demo of config files?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkey View Post
I presume that is v 0.2.

I'm totally agree with you.

- publish the old beta version, till is not final i don't understand why the older SHoutcast 1.9.8 has been removed and publish a beta version of SHOUTcast 2 from February 2010
- no config demo files for "dumb" people as us
- no compare changes between old SHOUTcast 1.9.8 and SHOUTcast 2
- yp index now station as wish, without logic, sometimes is publish and public sometimes not.

Personal i think you decide t publish this new SHOUTcast server to faster, is not professional to release with some demo of config files as was on preview version and to replace a stable version with a beta version. Also people who want to use SHOUTcast DNAS 2 have to looking on many post to understand how really work this new version.

I hope the developers and other responsible with SHOUTcast DNAS server to fix this anomaly as soon as is possible. I don't see any future faster upgrade of broadcasters from SHOUTcast 1.9.8 to SHOUTcast 2 in this way.

Thank's and i hope somebody read and fix all this.
nitromix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2010, 12:39   #8
chuckeh
SHOUTcast Freak

Welcome back Jkey ... message me when you are back online on AIM please

---

Auth hashes will be online very soon, as I talked with Faisal. I also try to use new sc_serv 2 with the auth hashes they will provide me maybe today and try to test the new functions
chuckeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2010, 20:41   #9
SC_faisal
SHOUTcast (Alumni)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothbeats View Post
How do you open up a stream in Winamp instead of in the web-based player? I don't see an option to do this in the new web design.

Help --> Settings --> Player options screen.

f.
Old 1st July 2010, 12:26   #10
SC_faisal
SHOUTcast (Alumni)

Regarding Broadcaster Registration & Auth-Hash forms: Thats what we're working on now. Out soon in a few weeks.

f.
Old 1st July 2010, 14:33   #11
Jkey
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC_faisal View Post
Regarding Broadcaster Registration & Auth-Hash forms: Thats what we're working on now. Out soon in a few weeks.

f.
Without a auth hash sc_serv2 just throws an error in the logs and does not list in the yp,or am I missing something ?
Any chance of getting a beta auth hash for old times sake ?

And chuckeh,im only back to play with sc2 and check for bugs to help out,
I have some free time over the next 2 weeks.
Then im going away again :P

Old 1st July 2010, 14:54   #12
chuckeh
SHOUTcast Freak

buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh
chuckeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 16:00   #13
bored_womble
Winamp's Womble

Quote:

f.
so let's be clear here ..

i) The OLD Shoutcast binaries can not be downloaded
ii) The NEW Shoutcast binaries are soo buggy you need fly spray to even attempt to use them
iii) The documentation and example configuration files are very poor indeed.
iv) You CAN NOT register on the YP2 yet as the registration system does not work
x) Using an OLD shoutcast binary says 'YP Added etc' but does not show up.

Now having spent a couple of hours tearing through the sc2 binary and built a YP2 (yesterday) and it is going to take you two weeks ? one does have to wonder if it is going to work given the standard seen in sc_serv2 so far.

Come on guys, you have a massive audience who you have just screwed in a week. Last time I looked there were about 25k/30k say stations, 10% would stick around for YP2, if it worked ..... but I can see a massive increase in Icecast, Flash coming as this has been so poorly managed.

BW

Old 2nd July 2010, 11:12   #14
SC_faisal
SHOUTcast (Alumni)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bored_womble View Post
so let's be clear here ..

i) The OLD Shoutcast binaries can not be downloaded
ii) The NEW Shoutcast binaries are soo buggy you need fly spray to even attempt to use them
iii) The documentation and example configuration files are very poor indeed.
iv) You CAN NOT register on the YP2 yet as the registration system does not work
x) Using an OLD shoutcast binary says 'YP Added etc' but does not show up.

Now having spent a couple of hours tearing through the sc2 binary and built a YP2 (yesterday) and it is going to take you two weeks ? one does have to wonder if it is going to work given the standard seen in sc_serv2 so far.

Come on guys, you have a massive audience who you have just screwed in a week. Last time I looked there were about 25k/30k say stations, 10% would stick around for YP2, if it worked ..... but I can see a massive increase in Icecast, Flash coming as this has been so poorly managed.

BW

All valid points. But you have to realise that we are trying to do something quite difficult here: Changing the engines on the aircraft whilst its flying at top speed 40,000 feet in the air is not easy. You have to do it carefully and slowly.... And yes, painfully. All the while we have limited resources, limited time and limited budgets.

Thats why we're rolling everything in phases.

Point taken about being still able to download SC_SERV1. Links will be readded back to the site by next week.

As for YP2 - for the time being we can create the auth-hashes for you. Just send me a PM and I will hook you up... SC 2.0 is the result of feedback from broadcasters and listeners alike over the course of 5+ years. It will be kick ass, but there will be pain before it gets better... Just please be patient. :-)

f.
Old 3rd July 2010, 00:19   #15
bjjocsdradio

Send a message via AIM to bjjocsdradio
My main concerns:

DNA's 2.0 is so difficult to set up that small broadcasters are going to get frustrated and give up, why not make the DNA's for Win32 like the old versions which were easy to run and set up?

Also, where is Classic SHOUTcast YP? I tried going to it today and it brought me to the new directory. The least you can do for us old school heads is at least keep the classic.shoutcast.com directory around!

Until bug fixes, ease of use capabilities and the YP2 infastructure is even functional, I'll stick with my old school setup which has worked just fine since 1998.
bjjocsdradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2010, 09:11   #16
Jkey
Forum King

Everything Aol touches turns to shit,shoutcast has been lucky to get this far.
This is probably thanks to people like tag and faisal who are shoutcaster's
at the same time as being aol staff.

Aol should drop all free bandwidth to all but the top 5 stations,and invest
in at least one or more talented programmers with the money they save.
Then sack which ever members of staff are responsible for the poor decisions
behind this mess.

But they wont,so shoutcast is done.Maybe not tommorow or next week or next month
but it will come because of poor decisions made now.

Of course I may be wrong,And I really hope I am.
good luck to those that want to stick around to find out,you have huge iron balls..

Old 3rd July 2010, 18:49   #17
SC_faisal
SHOUTcast (Alumni)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjjocsdradio View Post
My main concerns:

DNA's 2.0 is so difficult to set up that small broadcasters are going to get frustrated and give up, why not make the DNA's for Win32 like the old versions which were easy to run and set up?

Also, where is Classic SHOUTcast YP? I tried going to it today and it brought me to the new directory. The least you can do for us old school heads is at least keep the classic.shoutcast.com directory around!

Until bug fixes, ease of use capabilities and the YP2 infastructure is even functional, I'll stick with my old school setup which has worked just fine since 1998.
classic.shoutcast.com has been sunset. We kept it alive for 2 years longer than it needed to be IMO. Trust me, there is no one more old school than me when it comes to SHOUTcast, (been around SC since day 1 back in the day of LAST CENTURY!) but we had to kill classic.shoutcast.com because keeping it up is more problematic than its worth. Its ghetto and we're trying to clean everything up now. One of threasons to use classic is to get access to pls files, which you can now again with the new 2.0 site.

f.
Old 4th July 2010, 13:24   #18
jaromanda
Forum King

Quote:
Thats why we're rolling everything in phases.
Makes sense to do it that way - if the software side wasn't still (far from release standard) BETA

Is it just me or are shoutcast users getting dumber?
jaromanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2010, 01:14   #19
jaromanda
Forum King

Is the popup (flash) player supposed to actually work? All I get is a big fat sound of silence from any station (no traffic comes through either)

Old 13th July 2010, 11:17   #20
KROCKS ZPR

Working fine for me on all the stations listing in the new directory....that was of course after checking my station listings first!

RFB
KROCKS ZPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2010, 16:01   #21
stream101

We are now working on implementing Shoutcast 2.0 into our systems! I'm very excited to see how this turns out. We've had some bugs so far, so we will not release it publicly yet, but it is very promising!

Does anyone know where SpacialAudio stands regarding SAM Broadcaster and SC2.0?

-
Marcus

Stream101 - Affordable Media Solutions
Web Hosting | SHOUTcast Hosting | ICEcast Hosting | Free Mobile Streaming App
(877) 240-7767 - http://www.stream101.com || 100% Cogent Free Network - We Use Tier 1 Bandwidth Only
stream101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2010, 22:14   #22
KROCKS ZPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by stream101 View Post
We are now working on implementing Shoutcast 2.0 into our systems! I'm very excited to see how this turns out. We've had some bugs so far, so we will not release it publicly yet, but it is very promising!

Does anyone know where SpacialAudio stands regarding SAM Broadcaster and SC2.0?

-
Marcus
I run SAM. I have not heard anything from SpacialAudio about this....or much of anything else for that matter. I do know that when they do release a new version of SAM, all of us who bought a previous version will have to purchase a whole new SAM!

So even if they do implement things to support sc2, there is NO WAY I am going to fork out another 300 bucks to update to a new version of SAM. And I am certainly not going to abandon my current SAM just to have sc2.

Perhaps what the SC Dev team should do is write this thing so that it can work outside of SAM, using the many output functions that SAM generates for meta stuff, and map the audio via the sound card mapper.

I doubt SAM is going to have ability to multi-stream or run more than one station out of one instance of SAM. In their minds I would bet, you need more than one properly registered SAM to multi-stream, or a SAM that requires some special payment setup that unlocks those capabilities and a fee for each added station/stream...if they put that capability into the next version of SAM to begin with.

Not all stations are music stations, though that is the majority of them. But I should not be limited and bound to a "one size fits all" here. Obviously this new sc2 is a GUI-LESS SAM equivalent, with the added ability for multi-streaming. Though I am fairly apt with scripting and all that, and as I have pointed out over at the SAM forums, as well as many others have pointed out both there and here at this forum...I have a station to run, sales calls to make, finding more advertisers, promoting my station on the web AND locally. My station does not have a huge resource reserve...ie its a one man operation...as a majority of stations are.

And Im certainly not going to spend hours assembling some script just to have 1 day's worth or 1 week's worth of programing when I can simply load up a queue playlist with one click and have an entire day or week preloaded.

I see great potential with sc2 no doubt. I would like to fire it up right now. However I think with all the issues brought to the table over the last 3 months, the program is not quite up to par in my opinion, and should be returned to the labs for further interface improvement and work out all these bugs.

Also..to the SC Dev team...great job guys! Your working with very little here to create a new thing, and I salute that. But I do have to say that releasing this thing in the shape it is/was...was a very BAD decision in my opinion. Things should have been better prepared and set up such as that y2p before any beta was let loose, as well as perhaps a private beta testing with a select group to work out these issues before letting any public version, beta or otherwise, be released. But I can certainly understand limited resources so you have to find help wherever you can.

Regardless...great job and salutes to everyone working on sc2!

RFB
Old 13th July 2010, 23:04   #23
stream101

I do not like how SpacialAudio is being run. You should not have to pay 300 to get the next product. In my eyes, its not right!

(877) 240-7767 - http://www.stream101.com || 100% Cogent Free Network - We Use Tier 1 Bandwidth Only
Old 14th July 2010, 04:24   #24
jaromanda
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaromanda View Post
Is the popup (flash) player supposed to actually work? All I get is a big fat sound of silence from any station (no traffic comes through either)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KROCKS ZPR View Post
Working fine for me on all the stations listing in the new directory....that was of course after checking my station listings first!

RFB
doesn't work for me at all

Old 14th July 2010, 20:16   #25
SC_faisal
SHOUTcast (Alumni)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaromanda View Post
doesn't work for me at all

Can you please elaborate? What doesnt work exactly. What are you trying to do? What version of Flash do you have? WHat OS ? What browser? etc etc...

f.
Old 14th July 2010, 20:18   #26
SC_faisal
SHOUTcast (Alumni)

Quote:

Also..to the SC Dev team...great job guys! Your working with very little here to create a new thing, and I salute that. But I do have to say that releasing this thing in the shape it is/was...was a very BAD decision in my opinion. Things should have been better prepared and set up such as that y2p before any beta was let loose, as well as perhaps a private beta testing with a select group to work out these issues before letting any public version, beta or otherwise, be released. But I can certainly understand limited resources so you have to find help wherever you can.

Regardless...great job and salutes to everyone working on sc2!

RFB

Thanks... It hasnt been easy for the reasons you state above a lot more. But things are looking up. We're getting ready to release a new version of the SC_SERV 2 Beta and accompanying features on the site that make it possible to stream in 2.0.

thanks for everyone's patience.

f.
Old 14th July 2010, 21:59   #27
voodoohippie

Send a message via Yahoo to voodoohippie
There is a new service called Loudcaster comming out. I've been a Beta tester for them for quite a while. What I like about Loudcaster is the fact that they use Icecast to upstream your live broadcast and it works very well with SAM and RadioBoss. Loudcaster has its own directory and runs very well with mobile devices and you can use YourMuze to list your station in the first place. So you could potentially never upgrade to Shoutcast V2 and just be sure to list your station on YourMuze and you'll get listeners as I do. Not only that but getting your station on Itunes makes a huge difference. I think you'll have a lot of people who will NEVER upgrade to Shoutcast V2.

Check out the NEW loudcaster and my station http://thelegacyrocks.tk

Great Broadcasting Software Windows XP/7/8
http://nextkast.com

For Progressive Rock, Classic Rock http://thelegacy.shorturl.com
voodoohippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2010, 03:17   #28
jaromanda
Forum King

Quote:
Can you please elaborate? What doesnt work exactly. What are you trying to do? What version of Flash do you have? WHat OS ? What browser? etc etc...

f.
Sorry

In shoutcast.com, click to listen to a station, the flash app comes up, but no audio is played, in fact, streaming doesn't even start

Same problem on two machines (home and work) - both have the following common spec as requested
Flash: 10.1
Browser: firefox, chrome, internet exploder, opera, safari and chromium

One is an AMD Athlon 64 X2, the other is a Intel P4 3.0GHz HT (old skool)

the only other thing in common between home and work (this MAY be significant) is that, while it's a different ISP, the IP address happens to be on the same class A subnet

work - 115.70.x.x
home - 115.64.x.x

I mention this, because one other common issue I have between home and work is that at neither can I browse the icecast stream directory at dir.xiph.org ...there seems to be a "block" at the far end of that route

edit: wouldn't you know it, after 3 weeks of not being able to see dir.xiph.org, something has been done about it and I can see from both home and work now ... but still now shoutcast.com flash player

all I get is a blank flash player popup, no title, no artist, just a stop button, volume control doesn't work

Old 16th July 2010, 17:21   #29
voodoohippie

Send a message via Yahoo to voodoohippie
What is so funny is that Winamp still shows the old shoutcast skin and works nicely. BTW I noticed that Flycast which I use for my Blackberry no longer works. Could this have something to do with Shoutcast V2? I hope that we're not going to start seeing no Shoutcast support from third party apps. If this happens I'll definately want to learn Icecast and go that route. I want my station to be accessible on the Blackberry Storm, iPhone, Droyd, ect and that is what I use to push hard to my listeners is the fact they don't have to be shackled to Top40 and Rap in cities bound to Top40 and Rap on On Air Radio.

Thank God For Yourmuze because if it wasn't for them I'd be really mad by now.

Great Broadcasting Software Windows XP/7/8
http://nextkast.com

For Progressive Rock, Classic Rock http://thelegacy.shorturl.com
voodoohippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2010, 11:07   #30
KROCKS ZPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by stream101 View Post
I do not like how SpacialAudio is being run. You should not have to pay 300 to get the next product. In my eyes, its not right!
Indeed.

Not sure of what the next version price tag will be, but from the talk over at their forum, seems like it will be around the $300.00 area. Still its quite expensive for most operations, certainly not the only option to those small budgets, but considering what SAM can do, regardless of the problems it may/may not have with PAL scripting etc, its the best choice and worth the investment.

Unless of course the budget can swing for a 20 grand plus WO system!

RFB
Old 23rd July 2010, 16:15   #31
stream101

Quote:
Indeed.

Not sure of what the next version price tag will be, but from the talk over at their forum, seems like it will be around the $300.00 area. Still its quite expensive for most operations, certainly not the only option to those small budgets, but considering what SAM can do, regardless of the problems it may/may not have with PAL scripting etc, its the best choice and worth the investment.

Unless of course the budget can swing for a 20 grand plus WO system!

RFB
Of course every small hobby broadcaster has 20 grand...what are you talking about lol!

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Discussions