Old 27th April 2005, 20:12   #1
BYaz

cannot sync to mpeg

I recently downloaded winamp-but when I tried to play

http://www.israelnn.com/metafiles/as...ionalradio.asx

all I get is

error syncing to mpeg

that link works fine in WinMediaPlayer

so, I searched around some of the messages in the winamp forums and found a message indicating that the full or bundle version was needed

I removed the version I had & clean installed the bundle version

still get the error syncing to mpeg message

can you help????
BYaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2005, 20:48   #2
JonnyMac

ASX is a Windows Media playlist format...

Please do not PM me for tech support. Any request for tech support through PM will be ignored.
Read the Stickies
---> | | | | <--- Knowledge is power
JonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2005, 22:49   #3
BYaz

read those message links & downloaded & installed the plugin

still don't work

are there any other sources of a similar format that I can try?

i'm beginning to think there might be a problem with that link and the other links on that page
Old 29th April 2005, 22:33   #4
JonnyMac

Sorry for the late reply.

Go to the Playlist Loader page for the latest version and some tips for using the plug-in.

Otherwise, you may have to manually extract the streaming URL, as explained here...
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....07#post1595507

However, I think it is the link within the playlist (the one you posted) that is causing the problem. Works fine with Windows Media Player, though.
Old 4th May 2005, 01:50   #5
BYaz

I read those posts you referenced & downloaded the latest version of the plugin. No help. Still don't work.

However, with the latest plugin, the link changes from israelnn to something else (?castup I think). But it still won't work.

Getting quite frustrated and about ready to throw in the towel. I'm losing my patience for things that just won't work, especially if I can use something else (winmediaplayer) that does work. My preference would be to use winamp-if I knew how to make it work. Does it work for you?
Old 4th May 2005, 02:41   #6
JonnyMac

Unfortunately I think you are out of luck. Apparently they are using a dynamic ASP link. Not a problem for WMP, however it is a problem for Winamp.

Copy and paste the following URL into Winamp's Open URL box

mms://s95wm.castup.net/992230002-52.wmv?s=&rid=505040223056970&ct=US&rg=US&aid=223/.wma

If the link in the playlist file is a dynamic ASP, that URL may only work for today and also it may only work for me. When I tried the above URL in Winamp, the link did stream. However, shortly after while playing Winamp and the computer crashed. I recovered OK with a simple restart, however I am not willing to test that URL again.
Old 4th May 2005, 13:48   #7
BYaz

I copied & pasted the link you gave and now I'm listening to that radio stream. Thanks a million!

I'm curious to know how you translated/transformed the link I originally posted to the one you posted. There are a whole bunch of links on www.israelnationalradio.com to previously recorded shows that I frequently would like to listen to. I would like to know how to be able to figure out how to open them up.

Keep in mind that you are communicating to one who has absolutely no clue what dynamic asp link is.
Old 4th May 2005, 14:37   #8
JonnyMac

If you are looking for a detailed explanation you are asking the wrong person. Basically speaking, ASP = Active Server Page | It is another tool in web page authorizing/development.

Appalachian State University, staff page: What is ASP
AspTutorial.info: What Are Active Server Pages?
----
I was able find the actual streaming URL with another media player.
  1. Opened the playlist with Media Player Classic.
  2. After the file buffered > File menu > Properties
  3. In the Clip tab the actual URL is displayed
Old 4th May 2005, 15:16   #9
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

The method I used was to download the asx playlist via right-clicking the stream url in the first post, and selecting "save link/target as". I then opened the saved .asx file in Notepad, which reveals the stream url to be:

http://switch3.castup.net/cunet/gm.a...pmediaid=35705

As you can see in that url, it's linking to to an .asp file (gm.asp) which then dynamically (?) links to the actual stream (id=35705).

Alas, Winamp doesn't yet support those types of links directly (eg. in the same way that WMP doesn't directly support Shoutcast .pls playlists).

If you then right click that 2nd url and select "Save Link/Target As", you then get to download another asx file (gm.asp.asx), and when you open this in Notepad, you'll then see something like:

code:

<title>CastUP: Israel National Radio</title>
<ref href="mms://s51wm.castup.net/992230002-52.wmv?s=&rid=505041503521921&ct=UK&rg=WE&aid=223" />
<ref href="mms://s95wm.castup.net/992230002-52.wmv?s=&rid=505041503521921&ct=UK&rg=WE&aid=223" />
<ref href="mms://s96wm.castup.net/992230002-52.wmv?s=&rid=505041503521921&ct=UK&rg=WE&aid=223" />
<ref href="mms://s08wm.castup.net/992230002-52.wmv?s=&rid=505041503521921&ct=UK&rg=WE&aid=223" />
<ref href="mms://s06wm.castup.net/992230002-52.wmv?s=&rid=505041503521921&ct=UK&rg=WE&aid=223" />
<ref href="mms://s07wm.castup.net/992230002-52.wmv?s=&rid=505041503521921&ct=UK&rg=WE&aid=223" />
<ref href="mms://s20wm.castup.net/992230002-52.wmv?s=&rid=505041503521921&ct=UK&rg=WE&aid=223" />
<ref href="mms://s43wm.castup.net/992230002-52.wmv?s=&rid=505041503521921&ct=UK&rg=WE&aid=223" />
<ref href="mms://s36wm.castup.net/992230002-52.wmv?s=&rid=505041503521921&ct=UK&rg=WE&aid=223" />
<ref href="mms://s67wm.castup.net/992230002-52.wmv?s=&rid=505041503521921&ct=UK&rg=WE&aid=223" />

So you can then copy any one of those url's and paste it into Winamp's add/open url dialog box, and add /.wma to the end, eg.

mms://s51wm.castup.net/992230002-52.wmv?s=&rid=505041503521921&ct=UK&rg=WE&aid=223/.wma

As JM said, it's also possible that you'll need to keep right clicking that 2nd url and re-save the gm.asp.asx again each time you want to tune-in, because that is the way dynamic asp works, by creating a unique identifier per individual stream session (eg. in the sample above = &rid=505041503521921).

Alas, as referenced on the Playlist Loader plugin info page, this is one of the 5% types of .asx playlist streams that the Playlist Loader plugin cannot currently parse.... and I'm not sure if DrO can do anything about it.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2005, 23:15   #10
BYaz

Somehow, I'm just not getting something here.
Most of this stuff is waaaaay beyond me.

I tried to duplicate what you did...
First I right click on the link-save it & open it it notepad.

This is what I get & where I get stuck.

<ASX version = "3.0">
<TITLE>Israel National Radio</TITLE>

<copyright>May not be copied</copyright>

<author>Israel news radio broadcast in English</author>

<BANNER HREF="http://www.israelnn.com/metafiles/asx/logosmall-colorcopy1.jpg">
<ABSTRACT>Click here to go to our web site.</ABSTRACT>
<MOREINFO HREF="http://www.yeshiva.org.il/inn/link.asp?id=8" />
<!-- The text in the Abstract element displays as a
ToolTip when the mouse hovers over the banner
graphic. When a user clicks the banner, the URL
given in the MoreInfo element opens in the
browser. -->
</BANNER>

<ENTRYREF HREF="http://switch3.castup.net/cunet/gm.asp?clipmediaid=35705" />

</ASX>

What am I supposed to do at this point??????
Old 5th May 2005, 02:03   #11
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

See where it says:

<ENTRYREF HREF="http://switch3.castup.net/cunet/gm.asp?clipmediaid=35705" />

As explained in my previous reply, that is the stream link, but it's just a link to yet another .asx playlist file. So, you then need to right click THAT link, and save it to disk, and open it in Winamp.

I had to initially create a simple html file to create the working hyperlink, heh. But you can just use the provided link here.

So... when you right click THAT link and select "Save Target As", you then get another .asx playlist, and when you open that in Notepad you'll then see a list of all the actual mms:// streaming links (as explained & displayed in my previous post) - of which you can copy + paste into Winamp's Open/Add URL dialog, and then add /.wma to the end of the url.

Yes, it's a bit of a "carry on", but alas that's the price we pay when sites choose to use proprietary formats like wma/asx combined with asp scripts. Sorry.
Old 5th May 2005, 02:51   #12
BYaz

I'm getting stuck at the point where you create the simple html file for creating the working hyperlink.

How do you do that?

What I'm trying to learn here is how to open other links from that israelnationalradio.com page without having to ask you each and every time. They are often updated-daily.

For the most part I seem to be able to follow most of the other stuff.
Old 5th May 2005, 03:31   #13
JonnyMac

Copy and paste the following into a text editor such as Notepad

<html>
<a href="replace these words between the quotes with the URL/address">Right Click Here and select Save Link/Target As</a>
</html>

replace the words between the quotes with the address and save the file to something like RadioLink.html or FindRadioLink.htm

Then you can load the newly created simple html (simple "web page") in to your browser.
Old 5th May 2005, 07:04   #14
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Ok, I've just taken a look at those other streams listed down the left column at www.israelnationalradio.com

and guess what... they're .asx playlists alright, but the links within them are to mp3's.

This does not follow the asx or mp3 standard whatsoever.
asx playlists are meant to be used for streaming Windows Media formats (wma, asf, wmv), and mp3's are meant to be streamed with .pls or .m3u playlists. So it's not really Winamp or the Playlist Loader plugin to blame here, it's a fundamental issue/error with the actual israelnationalradio.com site, heh.

Examples

3 May - Creative youth protests against the disengagement

Save this asx playlist to disk, then open it in Notepad
which reveals the actual stream url to be

<ref href = "mms://msmedia.a7.org/arutz7/shows/English-show/highlights/Creative Protests.mp3" />

mms://msmedia.a7.org/arutz7/shows/English-show/highlights/Creative Protests.mp3
plays perfectly fine in Winamp (via pasting it into the Add/Open url dialog)

Likewise for: The Mystical Lost Tribes

<ref href = "mms://msmedia.a7.org/arutz7/shows/English-show/elis-tu-1.mp3" />

mms://msmedia.a7.org/arutz7/shows/English-show/elis-tu-1.mp3
plays perfectly fine in Winamp, as it is.

I've never seen the mms:// protocol being used for mp3 streams before, but hey, I'll try and contact DrO and see if I can get him to take a look at this, and hopefully put in a quickish fix into the Playlist Loader plugin.
Currently, when you load those .asx files into Winamp, the Playlist Loader is erroneously adding /.wma to the end of the url's, heh.

(note that Dro is currently taking a month out due to other commitments)

This particular issue can definitely be fixed in the Playlist Loader plugin, but the other issue (with using dynamic .asp for the Live Stream) is a totally different matter, and I doubt that much can be done about it.

Also note that there's a typo/error within the first asx playlist listed in the left column
Zaka Stuns Government and Refuses Sharon’s Request to Uproot Gaza Graves,
where the <ref href=> url is erroneosly typed as:

<ref href = "http://msmedia.a7.org/arutz7/shows/English-show/tovias-tu-1.mp3" />

where infact it should be:

<ref href = "mms://msmedia.a7.org/arutz7/shows/English-show/tovias-tu-1.mp3" />

Using http causes the "error syncing to mpeg" error
whereas using mms:// instead plays perfectly ok.

All the other asx playlists on that page are linking to mms:// streams, except for that first one, heh.
Old 7th May 2005, 19:10   #15
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

@ BYaz

If you're still around, could you please test this latest internal build of the Playlist Loader plugin, and let us know if all the asx playlist streams from www.israelnationalradio.com are now properly parsed in the Winamp playlist.

http://www.nunzioweb.com/daz/files/P...r_v0_9_8_7.exe
Old 4th July 2005, 13:28   #16
BYaz

I've downloaded & tried that new plugin a couple of times & so far it seems to work

will keep you posted

also, sorry about taking so long...
but I hadn't checked this thread in awhile
Old 4th July 2005, 18:24   #17
DrO

you may want to update to the newest build (link) since the 0.9.8.7 build is no longer supported

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2005, 12:48   #18
BYaz

got that download & tried it
seems to be able to open the link ok
noticed one problem
can't advance the slider
when I try to drag it, it just bounces back to where it was
not sure if this is a problem with the player itself or the link
I think it was previously working correctly

using Winamp 5.093
Old 6th July 2005, 02:20   #19
BYaz

ran into a new issue with the links from
www.israelnationalradio.com
I opened a link quite easily & started listening
it was supposed to run about 50 minutes (approx)
but it terminated after about 10 or 15 minutes

however, when I tried to play the link using WinMediaPlayer it plays the entire program

http://www.israelnn.com/metafiles/as.../tamary-tu.asx

again to reiterate, the time slider isn't working
if I try to drag it (forward or back), it just bounces right back to where it was
Old 6th July 2005, 12:31   #20
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

For the buffer/cutout issue, right click the playlist entry and select:
"View File Info" (or Alt+3) to bring up the (DirectShow) File Info box.

Double click "Windows Media Source Filter"
Checkmark "Buffer" (instead of "Use default buffering")
and increase buffer length from 3 seconds to eg. 5 seconds (or more if necessary).
Click Apply, then OK

Restart the stream.

Alas, the seeking problem is a known bug/issue,
which will hopefully be looked into and fixed eventually, heh.
Old 6th July 2005, 21:34   #21
BYaz

don't think I'm doing the right thing here

when I right click on the playlist entry & view file info
it only shows some info about the stream
there's no windows sourced media box to check
so, I can't do anything to adjust the buffer you're referring to

... yeah it would be nice if they fixed that time slider problem soon <g>

however, that does raise a different question
is there a way to globally set the timeout buffer so that it applies to all streams I might listen to?
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support