Old 30th June 2002, 01:06   #1
FunkDoc

What the FUC..........

Ok here's the situation. I bought windows XP last month or so and I've registered online a few times already. But when I went to setup XP on my father's computer I wasn't able to register. The thing is he can still use windows XP and everthing but It's still asking to be registered, I don't want to have to go out and buy another XP program but I'm also worried that if he continues to load his work onto his computer and the 30 registration expires, will he still be able to use windows or will it shut down or something? Can I turn off the registration notice if it won't shutdown windows? Can someone please help me here?
FunkDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2002, 01:14   #2
asshole

Re: What the FUC..........

Is that register or activate?

Who's your daddy?
asshole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2002, 01:15   #3
FunkDoc

I need to activate windows on my fathers computer. My computer is working. We have 1 copy of XP and 2 computers.
Old 30th June 2002, 01:42   #4
Bizznatch
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Bizznatch
Re: What the FUC..........

Quote:
Originally posted by FunkDoc
Ok here's the situation. I bought windows XP last month or so and I've registered online a few times already. But when I went to setup XP on my father's computer I wasn't able to register. The thing is he can still use windows XP and everthing but It's still asking to be registered, I don't want to have to go out and buy another XP program but I'm also worried that if he continues to load his work onto his computer and the 30 registration expires, will he still be able to use windows or will it shut down or something? Can I turn off the registration notice if it won't shutdown windows? Can someone please help me here?
This is why nobody should BUY WinXP. My g/f's Mom went out and paid $200 on the Professional version BRAND NEW. INstalled it, and WnXP said the CD Key was used on a previous installation. She called up Microsoft and they would NOT give her a new CD key, even though she had proof she bought it brand new.

P.S. Thanks to me (and #gotw**ez? ) she has WinXP now.

[edit]ban prevention cover up [/edit]
Bizznatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2002, 02:01   #5
griffinn
Court Jester
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to griffinn
[shameless plug]Remedial measures for your situation are regularly discussed on high-quality chatrooms, like #******* on irc.****.org.[/shameless plug]

Here's an excerpt of what we talk about in that room:
Quote:
<NameWithheld> LDQTW-F7EOH-416DU-XR2PN-YRBFT
<NameWithheld> OX9U6-94VV2-DCLGM-TKV6G-FGQ16
<NameWithheld> 0G6RW-CMMM7-EQBMU-5OC3O-7DV4P
<NameWithheld> 559HM-2ZBO5-EM141-FF9S1-305JD
<NameWithheld> NPGZC-9V9DE-J2CB2-H5KIF-UTOFC
<NameWithheld> TVL6E-WIC9T-GKMZ2-RY5IL-6MJVU
<NameWithheld> XQP5D-MB18M-C6QG1-XZDKC-633GV
<NameWithheld> NQRC3-3PIT6-VND9O-41RJY-SGRUO
<NameWithheld> TC86Z-KRUDG-RR14R-9BU3R-SFJ25
<NameWithheld> JH73X-TREYT-WEG8E-XMR34-4HQAM
Disclaimer: These are fake keys. They don't work.

The smiley slot machine! | Quotable Blog
griffinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2002, 14:50   #6
asshole

Microsoft's policy: 1 copy on 1 computer only.
You can't use activation on one computer and then use that code on another computer. You'll have to call and ask for an activation code for every different computer.

Who's your daddy?
asshole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2002, 14:54   #7
Scar Da Kookee
[Forum Pastry]

well thats M$ for ya.

Needs more moo-cows.
Scar Da Kookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2002, 15:02   #8
Vie
Forum King

Location: Thoron fields and Duranium shadows. Posts: Crap mostly
Hence my total lack of interest in the shitty softwear, that and the fact it eats up resorces and is made by $atan$oft and.... (rants for a long time)

Member most in need of SpellCheck Lifetime Achievement Award

I'm a Twitch Streamer these days, it's weird.
Vie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2002, 16:17   #9
Mr. 75MHz

Thats Micro$oft For You
Mr. 75MHz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2002, 16:28   #10
binary hero
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to binary hero
now, lets' stop the childish microsoft bashing. You can only bash microsoft if you are not using windows, ie or any other microsoft product whilst you bash.

Funkdoc, it's your fault, you should have bought (or 'bought') 2 copies, not tried to use the same one.
binary hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2002, 17:39   #11
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

1 copy per computer, simple as that. To expect to be able to still buy one copy of an os and use it on every pc in the house these days is rediculous. Dont blame microsoft, if people werent so intent on using their software illegaly they probably wouldnt bother with the whole activation thing, and the only people that have a problem with it are the people that just want something for nothing.
Atmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2002, 03:14   #12
FunkDoc

How do you guys figure I'm wanting something for nothing??? I friggin paid for the program. Commen sense says the houshold should be able to share the program. Give me a freakin break, am I supposed to watch a different television than my girlfriend???

No worries though my friend is hooking me up with the crack for it. I'm entitled to it seeing as how it's a legal copy
Old 1st July 2002, 04:20   #13
_Blackdog_
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to _Blackdog_
what did you think the point of registering is? its so you can't use it multiple times. but if you want, give me a pm and we might be able to work something out.
_Blackdog_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2002, 12:35   #14
cmisker
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to cmisker Send a message via AIM to cmisker Send a message via Yahoo to cmisker
Well, it's Microsoft's software, so they can decide how many people can use it. Ofcourse, if you bought a brand new XP and it's not working, I think you're allowed to get a crack of the internet and have it cracked, since you did officialy buy it so you're allowed to use it (and MS won't send you a new one)... but, you can't use a bought XP on 2 computers (you can use "bought" XP's though, on more computers).

Wanna see my Winamp 3?
cmisker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2002, 12:48   #15
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by FunkDoc
How do you guys figure I'm wanting something for nothing??? I friggin paid for the program. Commen sense says the houshold should be able to share the program. Give me a freakin break, am I supposed to watch a different television than my girlfriend???
Well, you basically paid for a licence to use the program on one computer. If you want to use it on more than one you can buy more licences i think. If you think thats bad then think about how buisnesses operate. If they buy 20 computers they have to buy 20 licenses for every piece of software they use.

The household may share the program, but only on one pc at a time. Think of it like a game where you must have the cd in the drive to use it.
Atmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions