Old 19th December 2013, 22:04   #1
sankt

AOL Finalizing Talks To Sell Winamp And Shoutcast

AOL Finalizing Talks To Sell Winamp And Shoutcast, No Shutdown Expected On Dec. 20

AOL is finalizing negotiations to sell off Winamp and Shoutcast in a deal that would allow both products to live on, according to a source with knowledge of the discussions.

http://techcrunch.com/2013/12/19/winamp-will-never-die/

Scenic Television is your ambient window to the world - - Television.ScenicRadio.com
Old 19th December 2013, 22:13   #2
webthing
Forum King

forever
Old 19th December 2013, 23:02   #3
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Location: West Virginia Googolplex: 10^10¹°° FB:/SSJ4.DominusDeus DeviantArt: DominusDeus XboX GT: A Wild Meeseeks Playstation 4: DominusDeus
Send a message via AIM to SSJ4 Gogitta

Old 19th December 2013, 23:50   #4
SugarD-x

Send a message via ICQ to SugarD-x Send a message via AIM to SugarD-x Send a message via MSN to SugarD-x Send a message via Yahoo to SugarD-x Send a message via Skype™ to SugarD-x
Keep in mind, many are saying that the Microsoft buy-out idea was a hoax, and this is the same website that initially reported that. Let's just hope this is for real, because we have just a few hours left with our wonderful site now...

Old 20th December 2013, 02:43   #5
JpopGirl

I hope it very true and Winamp live on! I Would hate to see Winamp die
Old 20th December 2013, 05:42   #6
CJ_Man

I could see some point in Microsoft buying Shoutcast, they could add it to their XBox music service, but Winamp? What would they do with it?
Old 20th December 2013, 17:01   #7
Vie
Forum King

Location: Thoron fields and Duranium shadows. Posts: Crap mostly
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Man View Post
I could see some point in Microsoft buying Shoutcast, they could add it to their XBox music service, but Winamp? What would they do with it?
Hopefully replace Windows Media Player.

Admittedly that would mean Winamp would slowly bloat out into the same mess that WiMP is, but we'd probably get at least a year or so out of it before the rot really set in.

Member most in need of SpellCheck Lifetime Achievement Award

I'm a Twitch Streamer these days, it's weird.
Old 20th December 2013, 19:12   #8
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

rumors, rumors. meh.

Jesus loves you [yes, you] so much, he even died for you so that you will not need to die, but live forever
Old 14th January 2014, 05:05   #9
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vie View Post
Hopefully replace Windows Media Player.

Admittedly that would mean Winamp would slowly bloat out into the same mess that WiMP is, but we'd probably get at least a year or so out of it before the rot really set in.
Ironically, I switched back to WMP when Winamp became too bloated for me. I actually kinda like WMP's interface in Win7/8. It's simple and clean.

This is a sig of some nature.
Old 14th January 2014, 14:14   #10
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Tech blogs and Twitter are burning with news.. the only thing missing is the official Egg / Winamp confirmation =)
Old 14th January 2014, 14:46   #11
Jay
Moderator Alumni

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...240077661.html
Old 14th January 2014, 18:47   #12
thinktink
Forum King

Send a message via Skype™ to thinktink
That PR Newswire page disappeared. Why is that...
Old 14th January 2014, 18:55   #13
DrO

--> http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....23#post2983723
Old 15th January 2014, 00:35   #14
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victhor View Post
.. the only thing missing is the official Egg / Winamp confirmation =)
An official announcement will only come when there's anything official to announce.
So far, everything else has been rumour, speculation, inaccurate/misinformation, leaks, etc.
I'm not saying that there's absolutely no truth in anything what's gone before, just that we can't confirm anything until there's something official, which there isn't just yet.
The promised tweet(s) will hopefully come soon.... though I've/we've been saying that for a few weeks now.... sorry...
Old 15th January 2014, 00:49   #15
old and quite mad
Major Dude

It will happen when it happens if it happens, and only then, but not sooner.

Clear as mud? Thank you.

The search for the ultimate signature continues apace. I have journeyed from the peaks of Nepal to the depths of oceanic trenches. I have crossed deserts, jungles, swamps, savannas, steppes and frozen wastelands. I have consulted with seers, swamis, sages, scholars and savants. The peregrination proceeds purposefully.
Old 15th January 2014, 01:32   #16
lazvon

I'm absolutely sure there is a crew of folks working to get something done so official announcements can be made and things can live on. Those folks are likely working late at night even... on multiple nights for the last few weeks. I can paint such a vivid picture of it all in my mind I feel like I was there.
Old 15th January 2014, 02:47   #17
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Egg View Post
An official announcement will only come when there's anything official to announce.
So far, everything else has been rumour, speculation, inaccurate/misinformation, leaks, etc.
I'm not saying that there's absolutely no truth in anything what's gone before, just that we can't confirm anything until there's something official, which there isn't just yet.
The promised tweet(s) will hopefully come soon.... though I've/we've been saying that for a few weeks now.... sorry...
Yeh.. ripples went very far this time.. looks like it was either a huge leak or a huge fail! (!!!!!)
Old 15th January 2014, 03:28   #18
sankt

Returning from the brink of death, music services Winamp and Shoutcast are now officially with a new owner: Digital audio business Radionomy has acquired the both media player and radio platform from AOL. We understand from a reliable source that it is a cash and share deal, worth between $5 million and $10 million, with AOL taking a 12% stake of Radionomy in the process.

Adding Shoutcast to Radionomy’s existing assets will make the company one of the biggest players in the radio streaming business, hosting some 60,000 radio stations, or roughly half the online radio stations on the market today.

http://techcrunch.com/2014/01/14/aol...audio-company/

Radionomy and TargetSpot Form World's Largest, Most Advanced Digital Audio Advertising Network.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...236060541.html

This will give Live365 a very large migraine and give marketing their marketing department nightmares.

Scenic Television is your ambient window to the world - - Television.ScenicRadio.com
Old 15th January 2014, 03:48   #19
lazvon

Huge fail is right.
Old 15th January 2014, 04:11   #20
lazvon

Wait until there is a press release that doesn't get pulled... then official can be official.

Also if something official were to happen and Egg is given clearance, I'm sure you'll see a tweet from Egg.

I'd also bet (don't bet against me here folks, trust me) that at the same time that tweet goes out these here forums will be turned off with a message displayed talking about some kind of transfer or something or other. I'd bet (again, no counter bets please) that some folks who clearly are asleep at the wheel and do not in anyway know what a computer is, but amazingly happen to run ~40k linux boxes and pump out tons of bits across their Tier 1 ISP backbone that they must have gotten luck and had assemble and run itself... will somehow get lucky and stumble upon (pardon the pun) how to do a database dump once the forums are closed down.

I'd further bet that since it looks like radionomy may not own the domains, but the zone files are certainly hosted on their DNS servers, they'll start changing DNS records to point to their infrastructure at the same time Egg fires the tweet and the forums are closed... I'd bet while those lucky folks at AOL are stumbling around blindly groping for the magic pixie dust to dump the database that the DNS TTLs will start expiring for all the winamp.com and nullsoft.com to stop pointing to AOL owned server infrastructure and then end up pointing to radionomy infrastructure...

I'm sure the AOL folks have no clue how to actually transfer the database, but maybe they'll get lucky and somehow get it over to radionomy to load into their copy of the vBulletin forums and once loaded test, make sure things still look right... and then I bet they turn forums back on at the same URL under entirely new infrastructure all within a couple of hours... but... hopefully folks take it easy on them as they tune the forums deployment to make sure things work well... and hopefully folks will also go easy if something were to take longer than expected and not freak out or anything...

Yeap, if I were a betting man... but I'm not, I'm just some bloke posting on these forums.

Get ready folks, bon voyage, and I wish you the best on the next part of your journey... hopefully leaving the docks soon... but it really isn't over until the fat lady sings.

ps: just remember, never read too much in DNS server changes... DNS registration changes though are totally different matter... once you OWN the record, then you at least OWN the domain (even if you don't own the source code, trademarks, etc). But, DNS servers can change back quickly and nothing is DONE just because you see them change.

pps: I'm sure there is some bloke KICKING HIMSELF right this second for having the great idea of making sure there was the minimum amount of downtime possible for you folks, by going ahead and switching the DNS servers to radionomy a couple of weeks ago when everything looked very close to being completed... as I said elsewhere... close is not closed, to bad I have no idea who that bloke is or I'd have warned him off of changing the DNS servers and just let folks suffer with a couple days of downtime and limbo. I bet he does next time.
Old 15th January 2014, 17:48   #21
old and quite mad
Major Dude

Of possible interest, the Winamp twitter page has gone full fubar.

Coincidence? Maybe yes, maybe no. Time will tell.

Clean your plate. Wash your hands. Measure twice, cut once.

The search for the ultimate signature continues apace. I have journeyed from the peaks of Nepal to the depths of oceanic trenches. I have crossed deserts, jungles, swamps, savannas, steppes and frozen wastelands. I have consulted with seers, swamis, sages, scholars and savants. The peregrination proceeds purposefully.
Old 16th January 2014, 15:39   #22
lazvon

No comments on the below? I must admit I was surprised... you now... if I had any reason to be surprised. Especially around the pps: ... since I bet that guy has a couple of Llama hoofprints bruised into his ass now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazvon View Post
Wait until there is a press release that doesn't get pulled... then official can be official.

Also if something official were to happen and Egg is given clearance, I'm sure you'll see a tweet from Egg.

I'd also bet (don't bet against me here folks, trust me) that at the same time that tweet goes out these here forums will be turned off with a message displayed talking about some kind of transfer or something or other. I'd bet (again, no counter bets please) that some folks who clearly are asleep at the wheel and do not in anyway know what a computer is, but amazingly happen to run ~40k linux boxes and pump out tons of bits across their Tier 1 ISP backbone that they must have gotten luck and had assemble and run itself... will somehow get lucky and stumble upon (pardon the pun) how to do a database dump once the forums are closed down.

I'd further bet that since it looks like radionomy may not own the domains, but the zone files are certainly hosted on their DNS servers, they'll start changing DNS records to point to their infrastructure at the same time Egg fires the tweet and the forums are closed... I'd bet while those lucky folks at AOL are stumbling around blindly groping for the magic pixie dust to dump the database that the DNS TTLs will start expiring for all the winamp.com and nullsoft.com to stop pointing to AOL owned server infrastructure and then end up pointing to radionomy infrastructure...

I'm sure the AOL folks have no clue how to actually transfer the database, but maybe they'll get lucky and somehow get it over to radionomy to load into their copy of the vBulletin forums and once loaded test, make sure things still look right... and then I bet they turn forums back on at the same URL under entirely new infrastructure all within a couple of hours... but... hopefully folks take it easy on them as they tune the forums deployment to make sure things work well... and hopefully folks will also go easy if something were to take longer than expected and not freak out or anything...

Yeap, if I were a betting man... but I'm not, I'm just some bloke posting on these forums.

Get ready folks, bon voyage, and I wish you the best on the next part of your journey... hopefully leaving the docks soon... but it really isn't over until the fat lady sings.

ps: just remember, never read too much in DNS server changes... DNS registration changes though are totally different matter... once you OWN the record, then you at least OWN the domain (even if you don't own the source code, trademarks, etc). But, DNS servers can change back quickly and nothing is DONE just because you see them change.

pps: I'm sure there is some bloke KICKING HIMSELF right this second for having the great idea of making sure there was the minimum amount of downtime possible for you folks, by going ahead and switching the DNS servers to radionomy a couple of weeks ago when everything looked very close to being completed... as I said elsewhere... close is not closed, to bad I have no idea who that bloke is or I'd have warned him off of changing the DNS servers and just let folks suffer with a couple days of downtime and limbo. I bet he does next time.
Old 17th January 2014, 15:18   #23
lazvon

Woot! Congrats to Jef and the entire TargetSpot/Radionomy team! Go kick some Llama ass!

Oh... and...

First post after new ownership!
Old 17th January 2014, 16:10   #24
Afrow UK

Thank you Radionomy for keeping the NSIS Forum

Stu
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions