Old 24th November 2006, 21:28   #1
jamie123

zune support?

is this planned at all? I have sp1 and am looking to get a zune, any idea of when or if this will get added?
jamie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2006, 00:36   #2
will
Nullsoft Newbie (Moderator)

At the moment, we don't even know if it's possible. If it is, you can expect it to be added.

Personally, I'd recommend an iPod Video instead of a zune.

DO NOT PM ME WITH TECH SUPPORT QUESTIONS
will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2006, 18:40   #3
jamie123

well the thing is i've been through ipods, and the zune looks really cool to me, and from what i hear it's pretty promising. but thanks for the insight

i was wondering though, if it's not possible to be uploaded to by anything other than zune software, is there a way to trick the zune software into thinking you have sp2? my mobo doesn't support sp2 and my computers perfectly fine, i'm not changing shit for m$ lol, do you konw of anyway to trick it and get it to run in sp1?
Old 25th November 2006, 20:25   #4
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Problem is, that Zune doesn't support Microsofts Play for sure.

I still wonder, why they don't support their own format.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2006, 12:19   #5
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

switch to different DRM prehaps? a closed hardware DRM would be advantageous over a well known software one. Not that either would last indefinately.

CraigF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2006, 23:26   #6
jamie123

Craig: i'm not sure if you were talking to me or koopatrooper, but if you were talking to me, my problem isn't downloading the songs, i refuse to download songs off of those networks, but i just need some kind of way to sync the zune without their software, because i don't have sp2, and my mobo doesn't support sp2. i was thinking maybe installing another windows xp under like a virtual pc and installing sp2 on that, but i would rather not go through that trouble if i don't ahve to
Old 27th November 2006, 23:57   #7
will
Nullsoft Newbie (Moderator)

i have a perfect solution: Don't get a zune.

Get an ipod or a creative zen. I have both, and they are both good and work with winamp.

DO NOT PM ME WITH TECH SUPPORT QUESTIONS
will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2006, 15:16   #8
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

Sorry, i was replying to koopa.

CraigF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2006, 16:45   #9
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by CraigF
switch to different DRM prehaps? a closed hardware DRM would be advantageous over a well known software one. Not that either would last indefinately.
Right, that's Microsoft. This is the main reason, why we all do love Microsoft so much.
Old 28th November 2006, 20:24   #10
jamie123

i had two ipods, used both of them with winamp, but already sold both of them, i like the way the zune handles a lot better, i don't like the zen that much
Old 7th May 2007, 20:22   #12
vonbeck

I agree with Jamie, had a 30gig Ipod and sold it. Like the layout of the Zune much better. They just need to make the Zune more accessible to programs like WinAmp.
vonbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2007, 21:12   #13
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
They just need to make the Zune more accessible to programs like WinAmp
Doubtful, that this ever will happen. We are talking about Microsoft, a big company, they will make it work with WMP, but don't expect a standard protocol, which makes it easy for other software devs to implement support for Zune, heh.
Old 17th May 2007, 20:16   #14
HopePoisoned

Send a message via AIM to HopePoisoned
I have a new iPod 80g and it is a nice player, I have a killer case. It wins when it comes to accessories defenately I see things for the iPod everywhere. But the Creative Zen is an excellent player as well and I would recommend it for its durability, battery life, screen, and its compatability (and the price edge of course). Zune is pretty nice hardware but beyond that I don't recommend it at all damn Zune software sucks horribly.
HopePoisoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2007, 03:13   #15
Spastikman

OK, I signed up to this forum just because I am so incensed by these apple zealots out there who are fighting zune tooth and nail. It took me a long time to find information about Zunes that weren't attacked by these crazed fanatics who had never even owned a Zune before!! I have finally decided to buy a Zune simply because its the iPod alternative.
I've been contemplating buying yet ANOTHER iPod because all 3 of my old iPods are broken. I will post pictures if you don't believe me. Those things are NOT meant to last. If you've ever opened that fragile beauty up you'll see the circuitry is taped together. Shorts and loose parts create the huge "ipod repair" industry that has sprouted all over the internet. Apple care is 40$ a year.. ok now does anyone know how insurance rates work? Guess why that price is so high.
so thats point number 1.
Point number 2 is that apple software is barely customizable. 'Think Different' the same as everyone else. Sure its a more stable platform because you can't go in there and f%$# it up.
Thats why I use winamp, because I can go in there and tweak things in so many great ways.
Microsoft is a terribly insecure platform. But thats also what makes it so great for people who like to customize their own system. (sure linux is better for this but we aren't talking about their mp3 players atm).
Sure, I'm sure the Zune will come loaded with similar proprietary bloatware that the iPod has, but my hope is it will also be much easier to hack and customize.

Ok, I know a lot of you will flame me to no end for this post. Its a sign of a loyal Apple zealot. Good for being so committed. I just want to try something new.. yes, even to "Think Different".
My main reason for posting this though is that I've been loving the new winamp 5.5. Its amazing and I listen to music more just because I have this software. I really don't want to have to go back to using something else.
Winamp: please support the Zune... I'll even upgrade to pro if thats what it takes.

PS:
Here is some better reading material for those of you trying to decide if you want to return your Christmas-iPods for a Zune. I feel these are more fair comparisons than most other stuff you find online that just trash the Zune. Some of it even says they prefer the iPod, but at least they give reasonable explanations

http://money.cnn.com/popups/2006/for...une/index.html
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/zune-ipod.htm
http://www.mytechlists.com/zune-vs-i...right-for-you/
http://www.zunescene.com/comparison/

flame away
Spastikman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2007, 03:36   #16
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

We can't support it, because the Zune is closed source and there's no SDK available for developers.

And note, I'm not an Apple zealot. Far from it, infact.

http://digg.com/gadgets/Top_4_things..._in_a_Zune_SDK
http://www.zunepatrol.com/recent/4-t...-Zune-SDK.aspx
http://www.google.com/search?q=zune+sdk
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2007, 15:45   #17
Spastikman

doh...
Old 26th December 2007, 16:27   #18
jasonsplace

I recently replaced my iPod Video with a Zune and it was the best decision I ever made in regards to a media player. The Zune is far better in every way except software to sync with. I still use WinAmp to manage my library and listen to music on my PC though. I only use the Zune software to sync with. I'm shocked that even without an SDK someone hasn't cracked it yet. If it was made by Apple it would have been figured out within a day or 2 of release.
jasonsplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2007, 17:07   #19
Sawg
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to Sawg Send a message via AIM to Sawg Send a message via Yahoo to Sawg
Even if it is cracked, doesn't make the process legal. Have these fancy things called Laws in this country and a pain in everyone's side, DMCA. So, just because someone eventually makes software to do it, doesn't mean that process will be a legal way that can be included in legit software.

| Brought to you by ^V ^C | The one... the original... no seriously!
Sawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2007, 22:33   #20
Spastikman

Yeah, I got an 80gb zune and I'm really stoked about it. Luckily the Zune software (as craptastic as it is) automatically checks for newly added music so its really not a big deal to just open it when I need to sync and then just use winamp the rest of the time. I was panicking about it at first but its been an awesome transition and I haven't looked back... yet.

rest in peace (pieces) my short-lived 2g, 4g and 5g ipods... It was short and sweet.
Old 22nd January 2008, 01:06   #21
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

zAlternator
http://www.zuneboards.com/content/view/308/1/
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2008, 07:47   #22
Headphoneguy

zAltenator FTW
i gotta spread this!
Headphoneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2008, 17:02   #23
HoosierDaddy

Zune Rocks!

Quote:
Originally posted by jasonsplace
I recently replaced my iPod Video with a Zune and it was the best decision I ever made in regards to a media player. The Zune is far better in every way except software to sync with. I still use WinAmp to manage my library and listen to music on my PC though. I only use the Zune software to sync with. I'm shocked that even without an SDK someone hasn't cracked it yet. If it was made by Apple it would have been figured out within a day or 2 of release.
I just bought a Zune 80G and honestly cant find anything bad to say about it at all, even the software is tolerable. My 3 kids each have an iPod Nano and my wife has a Rio Carbon. All 4 of these devices, well, suck in one form or another. The iPods lock up or stop working (I have replaced 2 of them since Christmas) and the Rio is just a PITA. iTunes: What a joke. most of the time it will not recognize the iPods and is contantly trying to move my music to a new location. I have been using WinAmp Pro for about 3 months to manage the iPods and Rio without issue and have gone so far as to delete iTunes and Rio Music Manger completely.

The Zune: I installed the software, it found my 7000+ MP3s (and didn't try to relocate them), I plugged in the Zune and in about 2 hours it was Sync'd. That's it. It also has wireless sync which also works flawlessly. I have had my Zune for about 2 months now. Fantastic, no headaches...it just works! I never thought I would utter that phrase about a Microsoft product.
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2008, 01:19   #24
Spunk-Monkey

Don't hold your breath, HoosierDaddy...

My best friend had an iPod, and it locked up as iPods tend to do when you update iTunes. He tried again, same thing happened. He got a Zune and it was sooo fantastic, i was jealous... until right at the three month point. That's when it froze up with a blank screen, and absolutely nothing could fix it. I helped search for solutions and all we ever found were cases where this happened right on or just after the three month point. Customer service is amazingly bad, and you're lucky if you can get someone who can speak clear English as he reads the list of things to try, all things any dumbass would have done already. Turns out that the only solution is to send it in for a month (that is, seven to fourteen days to get to your product, and please note that we are backlogged presently and will not be able to review your case until fourteen days after it is received...) and get back either a refurbished unit or, if they can, yours repaired.

This doesn't happen to everyone, but I have watched how frustrating that was. And with a little luck, i will have jinxed you from experiencing this just by bringing it up.

But while they work, they're fantastic. I'm hoping they fix that issue and release the SDK soon. After that, i'll be first in line for one. Until then i'll get by with my 4Gb Sansa, which is nearly bulletproof for about $40.

Cheers!
Spunk-Monkey
Spunk-Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2008, 01:48   #25
HoosierDaddy

Still Crank'n

Well, I have had mine for almost 3 months now without a sigle glitch. I fly across country twice/week every week. This thing has been dropped/x-rayed/pressurized and unpressurized and even sat on by a hefty woman who didn't check behind her before she plopped down next to me. It's still going.

If I make it through the end of May without incident, I will consider myself one of the lucky few I guess.

I have had numerous questions about the Zune when I pull it out on the airplane and I am probably responsible for selling at least 10 of these just through demonstration to frustrated iPod owners (YAY Me!)

BTW, I managed to acquire an additional 9000 music files from my friend's collection (iPod Owner too who just bought his 3rd because the others broke). Again, the Zune took very little time assimilating them and with the help of WinAmp's Auto Tag feature along with the "Organize Collection" Plugin, I had completely tagged and renamed files (to match the Tags). Zune re-synced all of them in no time flat.
Old 8th August 2008, 19:06   #26
HoosierDaddy

OK, so I have had my Zune for 6 months now. 45,000 miles in the air through desert heat and the Seattle rains, 1 trip to *******, several hours mowing the lawn, a martini mishap on my deck and several hot days at the beach...no issues. It continues to work flawlessly.

I am planning on organizing an anti-iPod rally, maybe burn a few thousand of them along with an effigy of Steve Jobs holding the iPhone stuck right in the middle of the pile.

*sigh*
Old 8th August 2008, 19:08   #27
Sawg
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to Sawg Send a message via AIM to Sawg Send a message via Yahoo to Sawg
No matter where you use your Zune, no matter how many miles you take it, still doesn't make Microsoft release an SDK so other people can support it.

Old 8th August 2008, 19:39   #28
HoosierDaddy

Having a reliable, durable, portable entertainment mechanism far out weighs the ability to manage it through winamp, though it would be nice it's only a minor bother.

BTW, My daughter took her latest (and last) iPod on a trip in a back pack buried in her clothing. The F%#$!&@ screen snapped like a collar bone. No matter what manages her library, you just have to admit, iPod is a POS. I picked up a 30g Zune to replace it.
Old 4th December 2008, 13:32   #29
iceboy101

to guys who like / love zune.. honestly .. man.. how can u say it.. i've got it for ~7 days still i can't play a song.. Some s*i* about license agreement. i updated my Zune software twice. no good today i'm having a error on "USB device not Recognized" ???? what the he** ?????

if i want to tell u the whole story i need a blog site..

The problems i faces with Zune were..

1. During setup it gives a error saying i have to download something but the link goes to somewhere i'm not sure of.

2. I then extracted the archive and by pass the update (trust me i had no other way)..

3. After installing came Activation part. I created an account with "LIVE ID".. Come on man.. what is this?? why i must need a LIVE ID???

4. After creating a "LIVE" id i signed up.. after that i also had some problem which i forgot about..

5. Logging in the Zune Software does not detect my ZUNE ????
After 1 days of trying the software detected my Zune..

6. I uploaded some songs and tried to play it give a message "GO TO www.zune.com/setup" my question is "FOR WHAT"????????????? it was giving due to some change in "Terms of Service"

7. I created a new ID accepted a new "Terms of Service" then updated my ZUNE to new frameware... Then it started up.. my Friend took it for 2 days then gave it back and today my Zune Software Required a new update...
iceboy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2008, 13:48   #30
HoosierDaddy

Sounds like you have more issues to deal with than getting the Zune up and running.

I have set mine up several times over the past year with no issues. Plug and Play baby, plug and play.

Are you running Windows 98 or something?

Have you tried the scorched earth method? Erase the entire thing and start over? The problems you describe are, well, horribly lacking in detail and from the lack of clarity one can only derive it is a user error.

DOWN WITH iPOD!
Old 4th August 2009, 18:01   #31
borgger

Any updates?

Hey,
Is it still not possible to use Zune seamlessly with Winamp? Is this due to licensing issues / restrictions, or due to a lack of demand?
borgger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2009, 21:01   #32
Sawg
Forum King

Little from Column A, little from Column B. Mostly A.

Old 7th August 2009, 21:12   #33
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
i don't know why anybody has an ipod or a zune. creative is the best value for the money and i say that as someone who harshly derides creatives drivers for soundcards.

frankly, we're talking cheapo walkman stuff, nothing i've seen for reasonable money gives a good hi fi exp, its all disposable. so get a Zen and beat it to death. dropping hundreds on an ipod is nuts.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2009, 22:22   #34
Sawg
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by MrSinatra
creative is the best value for the money and i say that as someone who harshly derides creatives drivers for soundcards.
Except the Zen Vision:W hit End of Life and was never replaced. They released the Zen X-Fi, but still have no wide screen version. I asked their support people, but they don't discuss future products. So when my Vision:M was getting older (still works, though it is acting up more), I had tog et an iPod Touch instead. Slacking, Creative, really Slacking.

Old 7th August 2009, 22:26   #35
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
i can't argue with you sawg... i don't understand creative... they have oodles of money and lame developers.

however, for someone who just needs music, the Zen V stuff is really a great and cheap value.

i wonder when a truly hi fi audiophile portable mp3 player will be available? i'd pay ~$150 for that.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist