Old 30th June 2011, 05:43   #1
Apollonius

I can't open Winamp by opening a file any more. :(

I'm not sure when it happened exactly, but fairly recently I discovered that I had lost the ability to open MP3 files in Winamp by double-clicking on any MP3. Even if I right-click on it and select "Open in Winamp", it won't load Winamp.

Winamp has started taking forever to open, but even if I wait 5 minutes, it won't open after double-clicking on an MP3.

Also, the song files are no longer displayed with a Winamp lightning bolt, but rather the default system audio file icon.

I have checked my system settings, and Winamp is already the default program for opening files of that type (WAV, MP3, WMA, FLAC, etc.).

Oh yes, and I'm using Windows 7 64, with default HP onboard audio.

Thanks in advance for any help!

[EDIT] Oh and I also made sure that the file associations were also set that way in Winamp itself.
[EDIT 2] I also un-installed and re-installed Winamp + restart, and am about to run SpyBot, AVG, and AdAware + another restart.

Last edited by Apollonius; 30th June 2011 at 08:10.
Apollonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2011, 10:13   #2
Apollonius

Well I made the icons come back, but Winamp is still not opening when I double-click on an MP3 or WAV.
Apollonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2011, 23:38   #3
smp351

My Winamp won't even open anymore since the new update. It's a running process but never opens.
smp351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2011, 07:32   #4
yxeslilme

My winamp doesn't work anymore

Winamp is my default player but of late I can't open my music with it. Plus it also doesn't show the winamp logo anymore.
I have uninstalled and deleted the versions I had, downloaded the latest version and reinstalled it but nothing works. The error I get is "The application or Dll C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC90.CRT_1fc8b3b9a1e3b_9.0.30729.1_x-ww_6f74963e\MSVCR90.dll is nota valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette."
I am using Windows XP.

yxeslilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2011, 00:33   #5
Marcos

over a week and not one support dude came by? sad ...
Marcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2011, 08:17   #6
yxeslilme

@ Marcos: Kinda frustrating....
Old 11th July 2011, 08:27   #7
DrO

could be that no one knows why it's doing that - generally support is provided by other users and getting loads of 'no idea' posts would be more annoying than just not getting anything.

anyway, Winamp shouldn't even be trying to access that version of MSVCR90.dll as it's meant to use the one in the Winamp program files folder. so i'd say firstly to re-run the current Winamp installer (5.62 at the time of this post). if that still doesn't work then provide an external plug-ins list from (http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....161361#plugins) - that is the one from the non-plug-in version if you're not able to run Winamp.

though my gut feeling is that something else on the machine is hooking into the Winamp process and that is trying to access a difference version of the crt (the MSVC dll) - has been known to happen from bugs in A/V programs or from 3rd party programs which install hook dlls into other programs to 'add' extra features.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2011, 08:37   #8
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
maybe try running winamp in admin mode and keep winamp agent going to be sure the filetypes stay associated with it.

also, i was going to ask what AV you have too, i think DrO is on the right path there.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2011, 08:39   #9
DrO

admin mode probably isn't of much use if XP is concerned - if it was Vista / Windows 7 then would have suggested that.

Winamp agent doesn't maintain file associations - hasn't done so since Winamp 5.53 (hence the resource changes in the 5.62 installer / setup stage and on the file types prefs page to reflect what the agent now does.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2011, 08:44   #10
yxeslilme

anyway, Winamp shouldn't even be trying to access that version of MSVCR90.dll as it's meant to use the one in the Winamp program files folder. so i'd say firstly to re-run the current Winamp installer (5.62 at the time of this post). if that still doesn't work then provide an external plug-ins list from (http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....161361#plugins) - that is the one from the non-plug-in version if you're not able to run Winamp.

I have tried this it is still giving me the same error. I'm sorry I am new to this; please could you tell me what I should be expecting?

though my gut feeling is that something else on the machine is hooking into the Winamp process and that is trying to access a difference version of the crt (the MSVC dll) - has been known to happen from bugs in A/V programs or from 3rd party programs which install hook dlls into other programs to 'add' extra features.

-daz

If this is the case how can I go about rectifying this?
I appreciate your reply and thanks.
P.S.: I have the winamp 5.62
Old 24th November 2011, 22:56   #11
rbonja1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollonius View Post
I'm not sure when it happened exactly, but fairly recently I discovered that I had lost the ability to open MP3 files in Winamp by double-clicking on any MP3. Even if I right-click on it and select "Open in Winamp", it won't load Winamp.

Winamp has started taking forever to open, but even if I wait 5 minutes, it won't open after double-clicking on an MP3.

Also, the song files are no longer displayed with a Winamp lightning bolt, but rather the default system audio file icon.

I have checked my system settings, and Winamp is already the default program for opening files of that type (WAV, MP3, WMA, FLAC, etc.).

Oh yes, and I'm using Windows 7 64, with default HP onboard audio.

Thanks in advance for any help!

[EDIT] Oh and I also made sure that the file associations were also set that way in Winamp itself.
[EDIT 2] I also un-installed and re-installed Winamp + restart, and am about to run SpyBot, AVG, and AdAware + another restart.

Im having this exact same problem, any solution for this. Im running Win 7 64bit pro
rbonja1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011, 04:45   #12
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi,

Some of us had or are having a problem with Winamp not exiting completely when it is shut down. This problem may be due to some of the Nullsoft portable device plugins and/or 3rd party plugins and may be causing your problem.

After shutting Winamp down, use the Task Manager to check your processes to see if Winamp.exe is still running. If it is, use the Task Manager to select and shut down the Winamp.exe process. Then try to play your song.
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support