Old 19th August 2004, 22:43   #1
c2R
Stereotype?
(Forum King)

Lake District Walk...

Hello,

I'm off not this weekend but over the bank holiday to the lake district. One of the days I want to go walking. I am a fairly experienced walker, having done most of the high peaks all over the UK at different times of the year (Ben Nevis, Sca Fell Pike, the Old Man, Ingleborough, Helvellyn, Snowdon, to name but a few...)

However, this time I'm actually stuck for what to climb - I was thinking of somewhere in the south east lakes, but I'm spoiled for choice - so can anyone recommend a Wainwright to climb? It need not be tall (in fact I've done most of the tallest already....) - I'm looking for a good walk with lots of scenery!

Any good recommendations?!

Chris
c2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2004, 23:27   #2
Bilbo Baggins
Wind Chime of the Apocalypse

Dont go anywhere there may be landslides
Bilbo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2004, 23:52   #3
Smeggle
Just Strolling By
(Major Dude)

Yeah I know, If you go west from the Penrith roundabout, Pass on the Left to Glenridding (Helvellyn) Towards keswick , as you get past Keswick theres a Left there that go's over the Cumberland Moors - about say a good day day nad half walk wiith some nice pubs on the way (Some do B&B)
Thats a nice walk or you can do the west coast down by Whitehaven across the Hills to St.Bees then over towards Black Tarn, Over To Raven Glass (Take Your Anti- Rad suit )

dropping down from there to millom coming back over you can get to egremont, then over towards Little Cleator on to Cleator Moor..go through there and out towards em em oh damn Forget it's name but it hooks back to the Penrith/Keswick/Workington by pass cut right back to the lake district ..

or you can cut right out of Cleator Moor and head over the top into Keswick I really can recommend teh Solway Firth up next to Silloth.. out of Carlise/ head West / Silloth is about 12 miles from there at low tide you can walk the strand over into Scotland ending up near Gretna (Be very careful if you do that route though as the sands are dangerous if you don't know your way)

There that should keep you happy for awhile -

Just thinking there's a place of the Keswick/Workington road about half way called Cockermouth, where Wordsworth was born and Stan Laurel of Laurel and Hardy fame came from Cumbria, Ulverston - There's some nice walks/climbs down that way and you can cut over to morecombe from there ..back upto Millom, Barrow ...

Wow ye lucky bugger ..it's like near on 15 years since I been there - I love Cumbria

As you can no doupt tell

You see the Lost Forest of the Top of Helvellyn? If your on top where the windbreak cross is look west (You can see the Ilse of man on a clear day [and some say Ireland!]) the Forest is down in the valley on the west side only way in to thta Forest is from Helvellyn - I lived down there for about 6 mnths once - Just went through a period where I shunned people and lived in nature - was a real learning experiance..

hey You enjoy your self which ever way you go about (as you no doupt will )

~

Music is Life, Love and Happiness :|: Life is Music. Serren - 1985 - 2005
Religion? Religion is a Blasphemy against humanity - From the film What the Bleep do we know

siggy link So stumbling? whats it all about
Smeggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2004, 15:53   #4
Bazman63
Major Dude

Smeggle. That's nice. I haven't ben up that way for donkeys years. I tend towards, Snowdonia, Brecons, Dartmoor and Cornwall.

c2R. Anywhere around Skiddaw is great. The North side is wild and isolated. Try getting a copy of Trail magazine, they usually have a dozen or so walks from all over UK. Enjoy, lucky bugger.

'In this country, it takes all the running you can do to stay in one place.'"
Bazman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2004, 22:35   #5
Smeggle
Just Strolling By
(Major Dude)

Lived about in the Forest in North Wales for about 2 mnths - over by Dolegelau[sp?]
used to go over the brecons near Penn y fan, near where you know who trains [ ukes: light weights]

used to do a lot of Raves around cornwall area back around 90-91 - fact If you need a map of England lol

I can go from Dundee in Scotland to Cornwall and I reckon I use say about 50-70miles of A rd. no motorways and bypass city's easily.

one of the best cuts I know travels all the way from Liestershire to Gloucester ...my mate challenged me once to get to Glastonbury from Stoke on Trent by my route while he used the M6-M5 coming of at Bridgewater.

I won by about 10mins

so yeah I know Britain quite well. never went around the South East that much though.

Another good walk is going over from Ulverston and dropping over to the top of the Pennine way - nice walk. Takes about 5-6 days.

North of Rothbury cutting over to Halifax etc is a nice route as well.

~

Religion? Religion is a Blasphemy against humanity - From the film What the Bleep do we know

Old 21st August 2004, 00:11   #6
Bazman63
Major Dude

Cool. I've run the Fan a few times, (not with you-know-who). But I need to getting up North soon. It'll have to wait untill I get my VW combi, though.

'In this country, it takes all the running you can do to stay in one place.'"
Bazman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2004, 01:27   #7
Smeggle
Just Strolling By
(Major Dude)

check out Northumberland around Otterburn/Riedsdale/Noth into Jedburgh/Hawick.drop down into Carlisle/over to Talking Tarn(beautiful place )/over to Brampton/picking up the A69 to Newcastle/come of there at Hexham/over the back to Consett/Down into Durham/pick up the A1M and down to Scotch corner/Left onto the A66/over to Penrith/Pick up M6 South..

there's a nice round trip for you

go up there the same way but instead of going up the A1M go up the M1/M6/turn left out of Penrith(A66 to Workington) then follow my directions for the Cumberland Moors/that will bring you out in Carlisle/head into the City/left at the bitts pk round about/up out towards Longtown picking up the Brampton rd from there/onto the A69/coming of at Hexham/then head over to Otterburn and that will bring you on the Jedburgh rd/then use the above first mentioned route.

excellent touring holiday - then there's allways Ireland I can recommend a few stopping places with warm friendly folk to visit (PM on that only )

~

Old 21st August 2004, 02:51   #8
ujay
Forum King

We used to base ourselves in Borrowdale whenever we were climbing up that way.
You can head in any direction you choose from there and find good walking. Through Seathwaite and down towards Great Gable and Sca Fell would be my favourite. You also have the Langdale Pikes and Bow Fell, which is a particularly craggy area. Some of the best climbing in the Lakes can be found in Bow Fell, a glorious place on a sunny day, but dark and brooding in a Glen Coe kind of way when the weather closes in.

Have a good time. Stay safe.

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2004, 01:06   #9
Smeggle
Just Strolling By
(Major Dude)

Yeah I forgot about Bow fell, Sca Fell you can get to them via Cleator moor but it's a bit of a climb over ...wow nice memories...

hope you had a good time c2r

~

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions