Old 24th August 2004, 23:41   #1
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88 Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightViper88
That damn Mustang

[mindless, endless rant]

I've made mention around here a few times how I'm in the market for a 1987-1993 Mustang, preferably one with the 5.0 V8, 5-speed manual transmission, LX or GT trim doesn't matter if it has the V8...I've got about $1500 in my saving's account, and I can get one that's priced up to $3500 (Which is only $2000 out of my dad's pocket that he pays for)...

I first saw this nice 1992 Mustang LX 5.0 along Dixie Highway one time and my dad and I desided to look at it...This was the first Fox-body Mustang we've looked at since I desided I want one...It was nice; Had a new exhaust system, paint job was nice (Although it had been repainted, since rust was coming up through the paint), had cowl induction hood, was the body style I liked, have the 5.0 along with the 5-speed manual transmission, milage unknown...But bah, as if returning the next day to get the number only for it to dissapear was bad, it was for $4500 too, which was too much that I'm looking for...Moving on...

Now I've seen this 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 along Westport Road for awhile now...$2500 is a tempting price, but the owner never keeps it out long enough for my dad and I to look at it...I found it up on AutoTrader.com, we called the guy, and we finally just got back from looking at it...Nice car, but it was an automatic (Personal hit and miss with me), apparently had been repainted, body panels needed to be re-secured, no weather stripping on passenger side, and the driver side had a missing 5.0 badge and center wheel cap...Rough, but still keeping our eyes on it...

We then saw this 1993 Mustang LX 5.0 (Picture is small and sketchy, I know; I took it at second glance on a driveby, but you get the idea of what it looks like) at a dealership a long time ago...Again, another nice car...New stereo system, Weld drag racing wheels, 5-speed manual with creature comforts like cruise control, and a 5.0 with headers...We got the guy to fire it up, and damn was it loud! I don't know if it had mufflers on it, but if they were straight pipes, sound would have to be an issue the first moment it's taken home...Almost 120k miles, and it looked as if the last owner drag raced it...Problem areas was a missing headlight corner, cracked bumper, passenger door wouldn't shut all the way, no weather stripping, seat burns (No problem, just throw seat covers on it), and cracked windsheild...This would've been the Mustang I would've gotten right off the lot that day and drove back home spanking some ricer ass if only one problem didn't get me: They wanted $5700 for it...

What?! The guys were nice to knock off $500 more off of it and take best cash offer, but he wouldn't go lower than $4500 when my dad threw a price out there on phone (Even when we mentioned things like the cracked windshield, door, and high milage)...But that was a long time ago...They still havn't sold it after a month, and we just called to check on it (Just about a half-hour ago), throw $3200 out, and see what they say this time...They were honest about a few things, such as a worn clutch (They said you can tell as it wouldn't grab until it was almost all the way up, which makes sense, since it seemed the last owner drag raced it), but to our suprise, they said they'd this time take $3200 for it, exactly what we were about to ask for!

My dad's gonna do some research on how much it would cost for a clutch job, and maybe try to lower the price a few hundred more, depending on how much it might cost for repairment...When he picks me up this Friday when I go over to his house for the weekend, we're gonna swing by that dealership and take one last look at it before we make a decision to buy it or keep looking (This one spoke the greatest to us when we went to look at it)...It could be on!

[/mindless, endless rant]

"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2004, 00:32   #2
sgtfuzzbubble011

Looks promising. Keep track of all the ricers you blow away, because I want the list.
sgtfuzzbubble011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2004, 00:45   #3
Bazman63
Major Dude

Oh God! I am living in the wrong country. Nice motors. Lucky SOB.

'In this country, it takes all the running you can do to stay in one place.'"
Bazman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2004, 00:55   #4
mark
Forum King

i agree to the baz. damn shitty UK cars.
mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2004, 01:46   #5
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
mmmmm. muscle car

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
k_rock923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2004, 01:50   #6
xzxzzx
Forum King

Heh, sounds good, MidnightViper88.

Freedom of speech is the basic freedom of humanity. When you've lost that, you've lost everything.
1\/\/4y 34|<$p4y 1gp4y 33714y, 0d4y 0uy4y? | Roses are #FF0000; Violets are #0000FF; chown -R ${YOU} ~/base
The DMCA. It really is that bad. : Count for your life.
xzxzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2004, 02:47   #7
beanboy89
(Major Dude)
isn't very custom

Sweet cars.
beanboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2004, 02:50   #8
Jay
Moderator Alumni

yea mustangs kick ass, finding good fox body style mustangs at the right price is quite a task these days but well worth it.
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2004, 01:07   #9
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88 Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightViper88
Well, it's on...My dad told me last night that the green 1993 LX 5.0 is ours, and we're gonna go get it Friday or Saturday...

"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
Old 26th August 2004, 01:20   #10
dlichterman
Forum King

nice man...thats a nice car

Software is like sex: It's better when it's free.-*-If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0-*-Guess the band from pics game
dlichterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2004, 02:36   #11
CaboWaboAddict
Forum Sot
(Major Dude)

Cool! Ya get your 'stang. Congrats.

Idiot's Advocate
My site (under construction)
CaboWaboAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2004, 02:59   #12
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

I'd have reminded the sellers the first time you talked to them that they'd have to fix all the problems on that 93 LX for it to be worth even close to $2000 (which is the average market value for that car if it's in excellent condition).

According to the market, that car's median value is $1950 if it's in truly excellent condition and is fully loaded, plus the value of the modifications. But mods don't hold much value on a used car, so that would be a minimal value increase. In showroom condition and with high-quality modifications, it still wouldn't be worth more than $3000. If the car's been raced then its value is lower, though.

Also it would cost well over $1000 to fix all its problems. The seller would have been smart to have taken the $4500 when they had the chance. They just gave away $1300, in effect, but that's still (optimistically) at least several hundred more than the car's worth.

Sounds like it could be a good project car, though, if you can get the price down to true market value. Mustangs are solidly built, and most of the problems with it you could fix yourself if you're good with tools, saving a heap of cash on labor costs.

But be careful about jumping ricers in that car. Most you'll be able to beat, once it's fixed up, but some will hand you your hat, believe me. And you'll never know which ones it'll be. The average tweaked Honda Civic, for instance, has a very low curb weight, and in turn can have a very high HP:weight ratio even with less HP than you'd have in that Mustang.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to buy.

Edit: Ah, I just noticed you've already bought it. Hope you got them down to a fair price, and good luck with it. It's got lots of potential, for sure.

I'm a psychosomatic sister running around without a leash.
ScorLibran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2004, 03:13   #13
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by Nobby Nobbs
i agree to the baz. damn shitty UK cars.

Jaguar, Rolls-Royce, Bentley, Lotus, TVR, Morgan, Aston Martin, McLaren etc. not good enough for you??
Atmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2004, 04:16   #14
Jay
Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally posted by ScorLibran
I'd have reminded the sellers the first time you talked to them that they'd have to fix all the problems on that 93 LX for it to be worth even close to $2000 (which is the average market value for that car if it's in excellent condition).

According to the market, that car's median value is $1950 if it's in truly excellent condition and is fully loaded, plus the value of the modifications. But mods don't hold much value on a used car, so that would be a minimal value increase. In showroom condition and with high-quality modifications, it still wouldn't be worth more than $3000. If the car's been raced then its value is lower, though.

Also it would cost well over $1000 to fix all its problems. The seller would have been smart to have taken the $4500 when they had the chance. They just gave away $1300, in effect, but that's still (optimistically) at least several hundred more than the car's worth.

Sounds like it could be a good project car, though, if you can get the price down to true market value. Mustangs are solidly built, and most of the problems with it you could fix yourself if you're good with tools, saving a heap of cash on labor costs.

But be careful about jumping ricers in that car. Most you'll be able to beat, once it's fixed up, but some will hand you your hat, believe me. And you'll never know which ones it'll be. The average tweaked Honda Civic, for instance, has a very low curb weight, and in turn can have a very high HP:weight ratio even with less HP than you'd have in that Mustang.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to buy.

Edit: Ah, I just noticed you've already bought it. Hope you got them down to a fair price, and good luck with it. It's got lots of potential, for sure.
eh, it's likely that that quote is in regards to 4 banger mustangs, V8 mustangs do better then that, trust me.
Old 26th August 2004, 05:27   #15
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

You're right, that was the 4 or 6-cyl. (It's confusing because it doesn't say one way or the other, but there's an LX 5.0 listed further down.)

The LX 5.0 has a median value of $2355, $405 more than the non-V8 LX.

Old 26th August 2004, 09:22   #16
Jay
Moderator Alumni

that doesn't sound right at all, my '91 4 banger was involved in a wreck not too long ago and it got more then that from the insurance company, and they use fair market value. at the time it was $3K and that was with 205K miles. I guess it depends on the market you are in, I would imagine that rear wheel drive cars aren't as popular in areas where it is frozen a majority of the year or where it is not economical to own one. Me, I live in the South and it's perfect down here for fast cars.
Old 26th August 2004, 11:57   #17
mark
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by Atmo

Jaguar, Rolls-Royce, Bentley, Lotus, TVR, Morgan, Aston Martin, McLaren etc. not good enough for you??
mmmmmmm, McLaren F1...... *drools*
Old 26th August 2004, 12:14   #18
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

Quote:
Originally posted by KXRM
that doesn't sound right at all, my '91 4 banger was involved in a wreck not too long ago and it got more then that from the insurance company, and they use fair market value. at the time it was $3K and that was with 205K miles. I guess it depends on the market you are in, I would imagine that rear wheel drive cars aren't as popular in areas where it is frozen a majority of the year or where it is not economical to own one. Me, I live in the South and it's perfect down here for fast cars.
I'm sure there's some variance across markets. But for specifics use the Edmund's car appraisal site linked in one of my posts above to see all possible value medians of each model version and equipment configuration.

Edmund's is becoming more popular with insurance and finance companies, slowly replacing Kelly's Blue Book in some places as the standard. This is at least the case in areas I've lived in the past several years...Colorado, Pennsylvania, D.C., Georgia and Florida, but there will be exceptions to this standard, I'm sure.

Congrats on getting $3000 for your Mustang. (And I hope you weren't hurt in the accident.)

Quote:
Originally posted by Nobby Nobbs
mmmmmmm, McLaren F1...... *drools*
The McLaren is built in Great Britain, but my favorite part in the production versions, the powerplant, is pure BMW. McLaren's true Formula 1 cars have used several makes of engine over the years: Ford, BMW, Mercedes-Benz and TAG/Porsche. But the one that featured the 627hp BMW S70/2 60º V12 (1994 to 1998) is the version that became the fastest production car in the world, tipping the needle at 240.14mph.

But here's the one I want. Street-legal, 1000hp, £1.2 million pounds sterling.

...Or (to get back on topic) I'd actually settle for my old 1967 Mustang 289 that I had 20 years ago so I can restore it and build it into the car it was always meant to become.

Last edited by ScorLibran; 26th August 2004 at 12:33.
Old 26th August 2004, 12:31   #19
DuaneJeffers
Major Dude

I know this for a fact ... if you come to California, the drivers will pwn you.

Congrats on getting the Mustang MidnightViper, hope you have fun.

I wouldn't say that the 5.0 Mustangs are true muscle cars, but I would love to see an Eleanor ... That right there is a Muscle Car.

-Duane

Website

Yeah, that's pretty much it. :-\
DuaneJeffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2004, 01:36   #20
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by ScorLibran
The average tweaked Honda Civic, for instance, has a very low curb weight, and in turn can have a very high HP:weight ratio even with less HP than you'd have in that Mustang.
~2700lbs curb weight for the LX trim Mustangs with the V8 engine, since it doesn't have the extra options and aesthetic body panels the GT trim had...

If I do unfortunatly fail behind straight-line acceleration, it'll hold it's own on the turns, with adequite handeling and a wide power band...

Seriousness on racing aside, I know my own level of cockiness and where the line is drawn...Low-13's are still pretty fast for a car from it's time in stock form...I know the '93 Mustang I'm buying isn't stock, but I'm still not exactly sure what modifications the previous owner did to it (Other than the visually obvious headers)...I've got plans for getting a Vortech S-Trim supercharger at about 12psi, but that's thinking too far ahead of myself, as I'm already having trouble fumbling up the money for a fender-mounded BBK cold air intake and 70mm throttle body, much less seat covers for the burnt seats...

I'll be holding my own with what experience I have...I'm no Michael Shumacher or Colin McRae...I may not be able to smoke that pesky WRX STi around here, but I'll be working my way up sooner or later... Just getting it to look clean on the outside is my main objective first of all...

Quote:
What DuaneJeffers said...
I wouldn't say that the 5.0 Mustangs are true muscle cars
No, they aren't...They're pony cars...

But the 5.0 V8 engine is still a pretty damn good engine that's easy to work on and inexpensive when it comes to power gains...That's what appeals to me the most...I'd love a '67 Mustang Fastback, if only I could get power steering and better braking on that thing...

Old 27th August 2004, 07:57   #21
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

Quote:
Originally posted by MidnightViper88
~2700lbs curb weight for the LX trim Mustangs with the V8 engine, since it doesn't have the extra options and aesthetic body panels the GT trim had...
The 93 LX 5.0 hatchback is 2834 lbs. and the coupe is 2775 lbs. I can't tell for sure from the third pic in your opening post, but the slope of the rear window looks to me like a hatchback. (Of course, you'll know which one it is.)

A similarly aged 1992-1995 Honda Civic Hatchback weighs a mere 2108 lbs., and that's stock. That's over a 600 lb. difference. With some engine and handling mods to give it even 205 HP (equal to the stock LX 5.0), it would be at least 1.5 seconds faster to 60mph, and would do a significant .05 g's more in handling. And the weight could be reduced even more, as well.

But you will indeed be able to make your Mustang a lot lighter than it's stock curb weight. You may have to sacrifice several more items that it has, but you could get it down to about 2400 lbs. without completely gutting it.

(As I've said many times) Weight is the most important factor in automotive performance, because interia is your worst enemy. Less weight = better speed, better braking and better handling. I'm quite sure you could build that Mustang to beat almost any ricer (or almost anything else for that matter), but it's just that you'll have to work harder to deal with (and reduce) the additional weight, and to add more power and a stiffer suspension to accommodate it. I'm in the same boat with my M3...stock curb weight was 3075 lbs., and I've since got her down to about 2900 (with over 300 HP). If I could make her weigh only 2000 lbs., and keep her current HP, brakes and suspension, the car would be almost uncontrollably fast and much more tight-handling. But that's only a dream unless I plan on stripping her down to a pure race car.

I envy the project you're going to be working on, with the things you said you'd be adding to the Mustang. The Ford 5.0L V8 is one of the finest engines in the history of performance cars, and it's especially easy to work on too. Be sure to take pics along the way, to show us the progress you make with it. Inquiring minds want to know.

And if you can buy or borrow a G-Tech performance monitor (or the equivalent), use one to measure your acceleration and handling each time you make a change. That's what I did with my car...it was great for finding out exactly how effective each change was along the way.

Old 27th August 2004, 08:08   #22
PAK-9
Major Dude

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Quote:
Jaguar, Rolls-Royce, Bentley, Lotus, TVR, Morgan, Aston Martin, McLaren etc. not good enough for you?
I hate to say it but:

Jaguar = Ford (American)
Rolls Royce = BMW (German)
Bentley = Volkswagen (German)
Lotus = Proton (Malaysian... also GM for a while)
TVR = Independant (gosh..British!)
Morgan = Independant (British)
Aston Martin = Ford (American)
McLaren = Independant (But they've made a handful of cars and use mostly foreign parts)

Not such a great list now is it? Plus the few that are British make exotic sports cars (or superduper exotic supercars) and only make a pitiful amount a year. You'll also find those British makes usually use foreign parts, and not just nuts and bolts, I'm talking engines here!

I'm afraid the UK doesnt really have a car market.

http://PAK-9.deviantart.com

...innit
PAK-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2004, 22:32   #23
mark
Forum King

they do, just for other people's cars....
Old 28th August 2004, 04:28   #24
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by PAK-9
Jaguar = Ford (American)
Aston Martin = Ford (American)
Just because they're owned by Ford doesn't make them American...Kinda like that there are Ford of Australia and Europe divisions...

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions