Old 11th July 2007, 15:57   #1
Skinjob

Some tags lost when using Format Converter

Not sure if this is a limitation of the FLAC input plugin or the Format Converter itself.

My library is entirely in FLAC format. Album art is both embedded in the tags and as a folder.jpg in each album folder. All files are also tagged with track/album ReplayGain.

I use the Format Converter to selectively transcode to MP3 for portable use. Unfortunately, the embedded album art and track/album ReplayGain tags are lost during the transcode process.

It would be really nice if the Format Converter was able to maintain the embedded album art or perhaps look for a folder.jpg and embed that in the MP3.

Losing the ReplayGain tags is especially annoying when transcoding large playlists with wildly varying levels. I understand that the ideal ReplayGain values on the transcoded MP3s may not be exactly the same as the original FLACs, but surely keeping the original values is preferable to no ReplayGain at all.
Skinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2007, 16:13   #2
DrO

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....57#post2208257 should answer your main question about album art

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2007, 16:55   #3
Skinjob

Quote:
Originally posted by DrO
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....57#post2208257 should answer your main question about album art

-daz
Well if by "answer your main question" you mean this:

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
If you mean when transcdoing to a new file, then yes, as Sawg said, Winamp doesn't support writing album art... yet.
Then yes, I realize it's not currently supported. Which is why I posted in the wishlist forum.

Also mentioned in the referenced thread:

Quote:
Originally posted by CraigF
sure, but its already in the wishlist as an acknowledged feature request
I could be blind (likely) but I don't see this on the official wishlist thread. The only thing I see is about album art support for portable devices and a mention about viewing album art in the 3rd party workaround post.

Unless a request already exists that I'm missing, I think an item needs to be added to the "Encoders (CD Ripping / Transcoding)" section of the wishlist for support of additional tags in the Format Converter, including album art, replaygain, lyrics, etc.
Skinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2007, 17:11   #4
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

The idea is that Winamp's album art support will be a general service available across the application. So while the wishlist specifies portables, really it means everywhere. (actual mileage may vary).

CraigF is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist