Old 9th April 2012, 14:44   #1
theweather

Winamp doesn't play specific mp3s

Hi guys I need your help!
Winamp doesn't seem to play some mp3s, specifally some podcasts. There is no error message and it looks like it's playing, displaying everything but there is no sound. I'm using Winamp 5.623.
Can anyone help me with this?

Last edited by theweather; 9th April 2012 at 14:55. Reason: updated winamp to latest version
theweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2012, 20:35   #2
theweather

anyone who could help me with this?
Old 10th April 2012, 22:17   #3
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
do they play in other apps like VLC or WMP?

did u scan them with mp3val? examine the tags with mp3tag? run RG on them?

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2012, 22:52   #4
theweather

Thanks for the reply!
Yes, they all play in vlc. mp3val didn't find any errors. I have mp3tag and i tried removing all the tags from the file, but that didn't help, although I don't exactly know what I'm doing when editing tags. And what is RG?
Old 10th April 2012, 22:56   #5
MrSinatra
Forum King

RG = replaygain. post the files to mediafire or somewhere so the devs and i can see whats going on.

--
Old 10th April 2012, 23:05   #6
theweather

Alright. Here's an example for a file I can't play after downloading: http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episod..._-_david_cross
Old 10th April 2012, 23:23   #7
MrSinatra
Forum King

i downloaded it and it didn't work at first. so i removed all the - and _ and then, even though it seemingly had the .mp3 extension, i was told windows didn't know what app to open it with. so i told it winamp, and voila, it worked.

its a mpeg 2 layer 3, so i suspect that might have something to do with it, but again, after that finagling it does work for me in winamp.

--
Old 10th April 2012, 23:34   #8
DrO

i downloaded it directly from the site page and dragged it into Winamp as well as using an external enqueuing of the file and it worked immediately. i tested with 5.623 and internal and just for fun as it was open for other reasons in 5.541.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2012, 23:41   #9
MrSinatra
Forum King

DrO, i was double clicking on it. any idea why winamp wouldn't have already known it should play it?

--
Old 10th April 2012, 23:47   #10
DrO

nothing obvious comes to mind unless something had gone awry with the file associations. all i know is a direct download and play and it worked. i've also since loaded it via double-clicking without issue as well.

as such i think a plug-ins list (http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....161361#plugins) is really required from the original poster.

-daz
Old 10th April 2012, 23:50   #11
MrSinatra
Forum King

interestingly, earlier today i changed on winamp context menu options (in shell options) and i think that may be related, b/c the mp3s no longer have the winamp icon next to them in windows explorer. how do i fix this?

--
Old 11th April 2012, 00:02   #12
DrO

a default action needs to be set, be it play, enqueue or enqueue & play for the association to work in Explorer. i've tried to explain why that happens in the later posts in http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=343241 from a few weeks back. the summary is if there is no default action then files will not be properly associated with Winamp and what you saw is expected.

-daz
Old 11th April 2012, 00:06   #13
MrSinatra
Forum King

ok, that makes sense, b/c i only had "add to ML" selected. but now, under file context menu, i have play in winamp also selected, and yet the icons in windows explorer still don't match what i set in winamp prefs. i can't seem to get it fixed...

--
Old 11th April 2012, 00:09   #14
DrO

hold down 'ctrl' when leaving the file types page - that should force Winamp and in-turn jtfe to re-build the associations. if not then i'd need to see what has been set on the file types and shell option prefs pages to determine what is going on - which still sounds like a default action hasn't been set i.e. the checked state of the 'enqueue files on double click' on the file types page isn't in the right state.

though in all honesty i'm pretty tempted to remove the bottom options on the shell options page as it just seems to cause more issue than it's worth with things being unchecked when there's no way to keep a default action associated without screwing up other parts of Winamp's handling - retrospect on adding in things that should have been in the core or just never touched is a wonderful things *shrugs*

-daz
Old 11th April 2012, 00:33   #15
MrSinatra
Forum King

DrO,

can u tell me exactly what should be selected on the "file types" and "shell options" pages in prefs? i have tried a lot of things at this point, and yet i can't get the file type icon to be the cool black one with lightning bolt. this is one of my fave things in winamp, i'd hate to see it not work, and/or be removed from the app.

on file types:

i picked my extensions, and have since added a check to restore associations. i have nothing else checked except winamp agent.

on shell options:

i have nothing checked, and have "play in winamp" and "add to ml" picked under both file and folder context menu.

i didn't see ctrl do anything, although i don't know what u mean "when i leave" the file types screen.

--
Old 11th April 2012, 01:11   #16
theweather

Quote:
i downloaded it and it didn't work at first. so i removed all the - and _ and then, even though it seemingly had the .mp3 extension, i was told windows didn't know what app to open it with. so i told it winamp, and voila, it worked.
Do you mean the _ and - in the file name? I tried that and it did nothing for me.
Here's a list of all the plugins;
http://www.2shared.com/document/7KMX...ugin_list.html
Old 11th April 2012, 01:19   #17
MrSinatra
Forum King

ok, i just noticed that "mp3" was no longer highlighted in the winamp file types list, but its important to note i did not deselect it (certainly not directly/deliberately) and mp3s would still play in winamp when doubleclicked... so something happened but i don't know how. i think it has something to do with deselecting "play in winamp" in the shell type prefs, but why only mp3 was then un-highlighted, i don't know. WEIRD!

--
Old 11th April 2012, 01:21   #18
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by theweather View Post
Do you mean the _ and - in the file name? I tried that and it did nothing for me.
Here's a list of all the plugins;
http://www.2shared.com/document/7KMX...ugin_list.html
try removing this:

Time Restore & AutoPlay v2.5.3 [gen_timerestore.dll]

i suspect the length of the file might be too much for that plugin.

--
Old 11th April 2012, 10:45   #19
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
ok, i just noticed that "mp3" was no longer highlighted in the winamp file types list, but its important to note i did not deselect it (certainly not directly/deliberately) and mp3s would still play in winamp when doubleclicked... so something happened but i don't know how. i think it has something to do with deselecting "play in winamp" in the shell type prefs, but why only mp3 was then un-highlighted, i don't know. WEIRD!
jtfe doesn't touch the base winamp.file.mp3 entry in the registry - yes it alters things inside of it but it's not going in and removing those entries. i think it just validates my point i need to remove the shell options as they're more hassle than worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
i suspect the length of the file might be too much for that plugin.
the plug-in doesn't do anything with the files themselves - it's just a glorified handling of the jump and play api's Winamp provides.

-daz
Old 11th April 2012, 10:52   #20
theweather

I think DrO is right uninstalling this plugin didn't help. Do you have another idea of why it's not working?
Old 11th April 2012, 10:56   #21
DrO

nothing else comes to mind as there's nothing peculiar about the file vs what is supported in Winamp's MP3 playback support. and i assume everything has been done to check that the audio output levels in the OS's controls haven't been set to off when those files are played?

-daz
Old 11th April 2012, 11:47   #22
theweather

yes. I also just tried running replay gain on the files but that didn't help. I guess I'll just have to use VLC for those files. Thanks anyway!
Old 11th April 2012, 12:44   #23
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post

though in all honesty i'm pretty tempted to remove the bottom options on the shell options page as it just seems to cause more issue than it's worth with things being unchecked when there's no way to keep a default action associated without screwing up other parts of Winamp's handling - retrospect on adding in things that should have been in the core or just never touched is a wonderful things *shrugs*

-daz
I wish you wouldn't do that. I like having choice. Maybe adding a sticky that carefully explains how to use these options and their related affects on other things would help those who get themselves in trouble. Then related posts could be directed to the sticky and the explanations would not have to be repeated over and over.

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2012, 12:48   #24
DrO

but no one reads the stickies or documentation. the whole point of adding the feature control was to help and that is not what seems to be happening with it of late and also going back through the direct contact i've had from people about it since it was introduced.

clearly it is not right and as it was something i bodged in off my own back without official sanction, it should never have been in there to start with. that is why i'm really wanting to just remove it and ease support issues.

-daz
Old 11th April 2012, 13:34   #25
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi theweather,

I'm also able to play the sample file you linked to. I see that it is a 22050 Hz Mono file that uses the center channel only. Do you have anything in your input to output path (like a DSP plug-in) that is blocking or ignoring the center channel and is only processing what is on the left and right channels?

What is shown on the top 4 lines on the DirectSound Output plug-in's status tab while attempting to play this file? What do you see different when playing a file you can hear?

Old 11th April 2012, 14:40   #26
ryerman
Major Dude

Quote:
...the whole point of adding the feature control was to help...

... i'm really wanting to just remove it and ease support issues...
Please retain the options for the Folder Context Menu, at least. These are very helpful.
If they don't depend on file associations, perhaps they will not cause support issues.

Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Winamp 5.666, Bento Skin
ryerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2012, 14:42   #27
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
but no one reads the stickies or documentation. the whole point of adding the feature control was to help and that is not what seems to be happening with it of late and also going back through the direct contact i've had from people about it since it was introduced.

clearly it is not right and as it was something i bodged in off my own back without official sanction, it should never have been in there to start with. that is why i'm really wanting to just remove it and ease support issues.

-daz
Ok, If I understand right, If a user chooses not to have any WA options in the Win explorer context menus then the WA associations for selected file types work. I have disabled all 3 Win Explorer Settings on the File Types page in my configuration.

But if the user chooses to have any WA options in the either the file and/or folder Win explorer context menus and "Play in Winamp" is not one of them, then the WA associations don't work. I have selected 3 options for the file context menu and none for the folder context menu on the Shell Options page in my configuration ("Play in Winamp" is one of them).

I assumed selecting options on the Shell Options page overrode not selecting the "Show Winamp actions in folder context menus" option on the File Types page. It should and if not, I was still ok because I do not select any options for the folder context menu on the Shell Options page.

If I've got things right, then the solution would be seem to be making the "Play in Winamp" option a default for one of the context menus (I would choose the file context menu) when a user chooses to have any WA options in the Win explorer context menus selected on the Shell Options page.

Old 11th April 2012, 15:02   #28
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
jtfe doesn't touch the base winamp.file.mp3 entry in the registry - yes it alters things inside of it but it's not going in and removing those entries. i think it just validates my point i need to remove the shell options as they're more hassle than worth.
here's the thing...

i had mp3s associated, and they had the black winamp icon with lightning bolt i wanted. yesterday, right before i downloaded the guys podcast, i made changes to the context menu options, where i removed everything and added only "add to ml" to both menus. it was right after that, that mp3s alone somehow became "un-associated" in windows. this all happened apparently in a very short time. i noticed it when i went to doubleclick the podcast.

i then had to re-associate mp3s via windows, and that worked to play it, but not to get the right icon. only when i then saw it was no longer highlighted in winamp prefs, (a couple hours later) did that work, meaning: fix the icons.

i do not as yet have enough to do a proper bug report, but eventually i will work on it with steps to reproduce and hopefully a more solid explanation.

Quote:

i'm not sure exactly which options you are considering depricating, can you clarify? ...but here is what is vitally important to me:

1. the ability to pick the cool icon to represent winamp file types in windows explorer
2. the ability to add "add to ML" to the folder context menu

if the "price" for doing either one is that "play in winamp" MUST be part of the file context menu, i am more than ok with that.

if i have totally misunderstood you, i apologize, but ask that you please enlighten me.

thx!

--
Old 11th April 2012, 15:07   #29
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
Hi theweather,

I'm also able to play the sample file you linked to. I see that it is a 22050 Hz Mono file that uses the center channel only. Do you have anything in your input to output path (like a DSP plug-in) that is blocking or ignoring the center channel and is only processing what is on the left and right channels?

What is shown on the top 4 lines on the DirectSound Output plug-in's status tab while attempting to play this file? What do you see different when playing a file you can hear?
the only plugin i saw that wasn't official was the one i mentioned, and apparently thats not it. checking the official output plugins is a good idea however.

whatever the issue is, the problem is unique to his setup, as the rest of us can all play it. so u got the right idea to get him to investigate his own settings.

btw, i listened to the david cross and steven wright podcasts, and once you get past the neurotic host ramblings and drug confessions, they're pretty enjoyable.

--
Old 11th April 2012, 15:40   #30
theweather

Quote:
Hi theweather,

Not working:

Output format: 22050 Hz, 16 bits per sample, 1 channel
Active buffer size: 2000 ms (88200 bytes)
Device: "02: Lautsprecher (Realtek High Definition Audio)"
Mixing: software, primary buffer: inactive

Working:

Output format: 44100 Hz, 16 bits per sample, 2 channels
Active buffer size: 2000 ms (352800 bytes)
Device: "02: Lautsprecher (Realtek High Definition Audio)"
Mixing: software, primary buffer: inactive

Ok so I've tried this with a couple of working files and ones that don't work. The problem only seems to occur with 1 channel. I have no idea what that means.
Old 11th April 2012, 16:02   #31
MrSinatra
Forum King

2 channels = left and right, ie. stereo, ie. 2 speakers

1 channel = center or mono, only one speaker needed to properly reproduce

it is possible your audio driver has a problem with the files u have with those specs. i bet if you converted / transcoded it to a normal stereo mp3 (mpeg1, layer 3), or maybe a wav or flac, it would work fine.

--
Old 11th April 2012, 16:45   #32
theweather

I don't know exactly what I did, but it's working now. I tried out a bunch of different settings both in Windows and in winamp related to speakers and channels, once it worked I tried disabeling them one by one to see which one did the trick, but now I can't figure it out. Do'n matter, it just works now. Yay.
Thanks for all the help, I learned a lot!
Old 12th April 2012, 03:24   #33
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi theweather,

Glad you got your problem solved. Too bad you can't figure out which setup change did it.

Hi MrSinatra,

When you discovered Windows did not remember what app to use for mp3s and before you used Windows to re-associate mp3s to WA, what icon did the mp3 file have? When you used Windows to re-associate mp3s to WA, what icon did you get? The standard WA icon, Windows generic, or something else? Where does the icon you like come from (WA or an icon pack)?

When you use Windows to associate, it should use the icon associated with the associated app's executable (.exe) file. When you use WA to associate, the icon should be what you told WA to use or the winamp.exe icon if you did not tell it to use something else.

Once these associations (for WA or any app) are written to the registry, they should not change unless an app (the same or another) intentionally or unintentionally changes them. These associations are most often made once during an app's installation. Some apps can re-write their associations during their execution if they are told to do so. The "Restore file associations on Winamp start" option on the File Types preferences page allows WA to do this.

This WA option does not need to be enabled all the time. It is helpful when another app 'hijacks' the WA associations and you want to get them back. And, If I understand DrO correctly, it is not needed at all. Simply holding down the control key when leaving the File Types preferences page will instruct WA to restore it's selected file associations.

It is not a good idea to have multiple apps set to automatically restore associations for the same type of data file, unless seeing icons change based on the last app ran is desirable.

None of this explains how mp3 got de-selected in your selected file types. But when you see a file's icon change, knowing where the 'new' icon came from can help explain the change.

Last edited by Aminifu; 12th April 2012 at 05:53.
Old 12th April 2012, 05:31   #34
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Ok, If I understand right, If a user chooses not to have any WA options in the Win explorer context menus then the WA associations for selected file types work. I have disabled all 3 Win Explorer Settings on the File Types page in my configuration.

But if the user chooses to have any WA options in the either the file and/or folder Win explorer context menus and "Play in Winamp" is not one of them, then the WA associations don't work. I have selected 3 options for the file context menu and none for the folder context menu on the Shell Options page in my configuration ("Play in Winamp" is one of them).

I assumed selecting options on the Shell Options page overrode not selecting the "Show Winamp actions in folder context menus" option on the File Types page. It should and if not, I was still ok because I do not select any options for the folder context menu on the Shell Options page.

If I've got things right, then the solution would be seem to be making the "Play in Winamp" option a default for one of the context menus (I would choose the file context menu) when a user chooses to have any WA options in the Win explorer context menus selected on the Shell Options page.
I take all that back. After rereading ALL the posts (here and referenced) I understand that the "Play in Winamp" option is not "THE" mandatory context menu item. There is no single mandatory item. Mr Sinatra's mp3s were not associated with WA because they were not in WA's list of associated file types once a default WA action was selected. How the mp3 file type was removed from the list is a separate issue.

I'm being to understand DrO's frustration. WA context menus in Windows Explorer are a 'nice to have' feature not a mandatory one. If trying to give users some choice as to what is shown on these context menu is allowing users to break their file associations then that is unfortunate. Users can not be protected from themselves. But something added as a convenience can not be allowed to become a support issue by itself.

I expect this to be resolved in the normal way. WA will decide what kind of Windows Explorer context menu support (without user choice) will be provided, if any. Power users will learn how to make the registry changes needed to modify whatever that is or introduce their own if nothing is provided. However, these users will not ask for, or expect, support from WA to do so.

Free utilities already exist that allow removing 1 or more Windows Explorer context menu items. So if WA chooses to make all the currently optional items mandatory, on both the file and folder Windows Explorer context menus, it would be simple for users to temporarily or permanently remove items they don't want without affecting anything else.

Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Tags
mp3, no sound