Old 12th January 2010, 16:20   #1241
rockouthippie
Banned

I'm not a big sitcom fan. I think the last one I liked was Boston Legal.

I watched 2010. It's one of the few movies I've seen where Bluray did matter. Cool. I wish they would release Blue Thunder in BD.

It's probably because I was in my early adulthood that I liked some of those early 80's movies. Part of it was the change in film technology, where anything with a decent budget was done in 70mm and Dolby sound.

Alien, Escape from New York, The Thing, Star Wars..... After watching these on bleary analog TV sets for 20+ years, it's highly cool to revisit some of these films on progressive scan DVD or BD.

I just wish Lucas would release non fucked up original versions of the Star Wars Trilogy. Did someone drop George on his head?
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2010, 21:08   #1242
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

I just rewatched John Carpenter's The Thing
It's fuckin' scary!
Widdykats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2010, 03:00   #1243
rockouthippie
Banned

I remember seeing that in the theater when it first came out. Sometimes you wish you could erase a movie from your memory and see it again fresh. That would be one.

I loved the Ennio Morricone music score in the Thing too, as in Escape from New York.
Old 15th January 2010, 10:17   #1244
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Uh..Or Hero
Visually stunning. Great score, fun flying sword stuff...
and "The Color Theme Changing " is drop dead eye catching.
The story is beautifully told. Another great movie from Zhang Yimou.
Old 16th January 2010, 08:34   #1245
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Closer!
Or...as I've said before, home movies. Excellent. A grown-up movie. Great performances by Julia Roberts, Clive Owen, Natalie Portman and Jude Law! Directed by Moke Nichols. On IFC. Well worth a watch!
Old 16th January 2010, 19:05   #1246
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
The second Matrix movie

I absolutely hate second movies when the writer knows it's going to be a trilogy. It completely ruins a lot about the single movie itself, in addition to the plot being mostly "more of the same".

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2010, 02:04   #1247
rockouthippie
Banned

I was Avatar 3d over the weekend. The plot is a little thin, but it's like no movie ever made before. 5 weeks in theaters and it was still selling out on all weekend shows in the two theaters nearest me. 1.1 billion dollars in revenue. Still #1 this weekend.

It's bright, it's brilliant, powerful, colorful eye candy like someone melted 3 dimensional crayons in your eyes. In 160 minutes of 3d, expect eye strain. Optimal seating is centered and pretty far back. Don't be tired. Get there early. You will not want to end up in the front row. You might want some eye drops.

Having to buy the tickets the day before and having to show up an hour ahead of time to get a decent seat, I'd still say:

Also, when I couldn't get into Avatar on the first night because it was sold out. I saw the #2 box office offering "The Book of Eli" which was a pretty formulaic apocalyptic offering which I consider to be *meh* and worth a dollar at the redbox later. 3 stars. You'll get tired of looking at sepia. CG was pretty shoddy in spots. Denzel Washington is pretty if not interesting. Martial arts reminiscent of Teenage Mutant Ninja turtles. A cameo by Malcolm McDowell. Gary Oldman is Gary Oldman typical. Yawn. Not terrible.

Later on DVD or cheapo matinee.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 19th January 2010 at 02:27.
Old 22nd January 2010, 17:52   #1248
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Rewatched Monsters Inc
*I'm a tard, ok?*
loved it ♥

And It's MIKE Nichols directing Closer(*Fuck*)
Old 22nd January 2010, 23:12   #1249
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Cloverfield

Basically Blair Witch Project, with even less creativity. Not so bad that I shut it off, but I didn't pause it when it was time to pick up the phone or flip the burgers or change laundry etc.

Old 22nd January 2010, 23:52   #1250
QOAL
[STILL a retard!]

I went to see Sherlock Holmes on tuesday, I liked it.
Quite a bit of action, decent acting, some good laughs and strong plot. (nice visual style too)
It left the door open for a sequal as well.

count!last.fmdastylishplanner
QOAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2010, 17:10   #1251
BigMoosie2009

I'm July.

Really nice German road movie set in several countries.
BigMoosie2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2010, 04:36   #1252
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by swingdjted
Cloverfield

Basically Blair Witch Project, with even less creativity. Not so bad that I shut it off, but I didn't pause it when it was time to pick up the phone or flip the burgers or change laundry etc.
Yep. worth watching, but the last movie that should ever be made with handheld cameras.

I finished the 1915 silent movie 'Birth of a Nation" which was based on the 1905 novel, The Clansman: An Historical Romance of the Ku Klux Klan. It had a higher box office than any movie made before. The cinematography was groundbreaking. Between the book and the movie, it caused a resurgence in KKK activity. Some of the reviews I've read on this said it was subtly racist. It didn't seem very subtle to me. I think what is revisionist and racist about it is just about as disturbing as what was accurate.

Free from Internet Archive

Last edited by rockouthippie; 27th January 2010 at 05:31.
Old 27th January 2010, 23:04   #1253
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

^yeah, the first half hour of Cloverfield was almost bad enough to give a true headache. It got a little less annoying, but still not something I want to go through again.

I'll check out your link.

Last watched was Flight of the Phoenix. It mostly held my attention, and I'm not sorry that I borrowed it from the library (free) and spent the time to watch it. Don't waste more than a buck or two renting it though. It's ok, but not much better than ok. A plane full of oil rig gear crashes on the Mongolian dessert with about a dozen oddball passengers. They have to use the wreckage to build a new plane to fly to safety before running out of water and food.

Old 28th January 2010, 16:59   #1254
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by swingdjted
Last watched was Flight of the Phoenix.
1965 with Jimmy Stewart or 2004 with Dennis Quaid? Both are pretty decent movies.

When you want the finest prints of significant films, you get Criterion Collection. A happy choice for CC was 1976 "The Man Who Fell to Earth" in BD. David Bowie plays an alien who crash lands on earth to get water. He doesn't count on disingenuous and greedy humans. It's a blast from the past.
Old 28th January 2010, 22:32   #1255
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

'04 w/ Quaid.

Yesterday I was incredibly tired and tried to watch "From Hell", but fell asleep. I don't remember liking or disliking it (too tired to pass judgment); I just remember that it was a string of prostitutes getting murdered one at a time, with an investigation following it. It was set in horse & carriage times.

Old 30th January 2010, 09:04   #1256
Sawg
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to Sawg Send a message via AIM to Sawg Send a message via Yahoo to Sawg
District 9 - Yeah, didn't see this until it was on DVD, and sad I waited. Such a fun and amazing movie. For some reason I like the documentary feel, though I know it bugs some people. Plus, for a sci-fi movie it seemed more based on character developments then action and cool special effects. As for the plot, I like the idea of alien refugees and how they would be treated. (And I am sure everyone knows it really about South African apartheid, which it does a good job representing). A bit slow at points and drags on, but overall good storytelling and a beautiful movie. 4 out of 5.

And now keeping with the districts to throw in a random find from Netflix Watch Now.

District B13 - This is a French action movie. Another movie about walled off districts, this time in France. Where in the future to combat excessive crimes, and where the local authorities have just given up, they start walling off and pulling out of the worst slums. Where a super-cop and a jailed member from inside must go back in to defuse a nuke that a local gang has acquired. The idea seems a bit silly, but it is a surprisingly good movie with a lot of the acrobatic fighting leading to some very impressive fight scenes. The main charters are likable and play their roles well. The ending is a bit of a twist, but not hard to figure out, though it still makes for what I thought ti be a fun climax. Well worth a watch, especially if you have Netflix and can stream it. 3 out of 5.

| Brought to you by ^V ^C | The one... the original... no seriously!
Sawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2010, 10:28   #1257
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
District 9
Way more than I expected when I rented it.
Old 2nd February 2010, 18:59   #1258
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Go!
I find this movie to be outrageously funny! On IFC this month. The cast is amazing. Best scenes, for me, are the "Cop" scenes. 11:14 Another story with what seems to be a lot of sub plots going on, but they all come together, at 11:14!
Also on IFC this month.
The Libertine The Earl Of Rochester debauches his nose off, but keeps his sense of humour. You name it; he did him/her.
Johnny Depp may be one of the few people to look good without half his face. But the movie really is about having a "fuck it" attitude and the price one pays for that. Also on IFC.
Old 3rd February 2010, 07:32   #1259
Sawg
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to Sawg Send a message via AIM to Sawg Send a message via Yahoo to Sawg
Plus, Go has an awesome soundtrack. (And why did Sarah Polley never become bigger?). I for some reason love the druggie movies.

| Brought to you by ^V ^C | The one... the original... no seriously!
Sawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2010, 19:30   #1260
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^ I'd say Amen!
Old 3rd February 2010, 22:48   #1261
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I saw Go at the theater when I was in high school. I remember liking it quite a bit, but part of that was liking who I brought...

I finally saw the latest Indiana Jones movie (crystal skull or something like that). Spielberg must have forgotten a lot of what used to make those movies awesome. It wasn't even good enough to say "more of the same". It looked like a movie that had been made by Disney instead, but not even to their standard. Annoying silliness replaces the well placed comic relief of the previous movies. The primitive architecture, traps, riddles, devices used on the set were nowhere near as creative, interesting, or exciting of those past. The annoying love story didn't fit or help the movie the way it did before, and worse yet, the discovery of Indiana's greaser son didn't seem to work or help the plot the way the Sean Connery family story did before either. The special effects were somewhat interesting and made it so that the movie didn't flat out suck, but after seeing the older ones, this one was far below the standard that had been set. The bar was set too high in the past, and this half-assed attempt at creating a decent sequal seems to hurt the series.

Old 14th February 2010, 20:25   #1262
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Memento
The lies we tell to ourselves to live with ourselves, only backwards!
Temple Grandin
Made for HBO movie about the life of Dr. Temple Grandin and her struggle to humanize the cattle slaughter industry, while dealing with her own Autism. Not bad.
Old 18th February 2010, 16:19   #1263
rockouthippie
Banned

I think it would have been a little optimistic to expect that Indiana Jones wouldn't be worn out in your mind, even if Crystal skull didn't suck.

I have been on sort of a TV kick lately. 24 has new episodes. I have watched all the Seasons of 24. This one is pretty good so far. Like Indiana Jones, I think this series needs a decent burial soon. The last season of Lost comes when I never watched anything after Season 1. I watched the season premiere and was still lost. This show never grabbed me. All of the seasons are on free on Hulu now, but keeping track of the plot line seems more a chore than fun.

I have been sorta picking at this cheapo MGM DVD set of old John Wayne movies. They were Expendable, Flying Leathernecks, Operation Pacific and Back to Bataan. It was worth the $7. Nice prints.
Old 22nd February 2010, 07:40   #1264
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Underworld

It's a decent vampire movie, but it takes on a lot of story lines found elsewhere, e.g. vampires having other non-human, non-vampire enemies just like the Blade trilogy. There are better vampire movies out there, but this one wasn't bad I suppose.

Old 22nd February 2010, 09:54   #1265
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Frost/Nixon
Nicely acted. It gives a litle license on the happenings of those interviews. But it does get to a good core point; so I'd say watch it. ON HBO.
Frozen River
Life is no day at the beach for these two women. I think it's a great small movie. The acting is semmless. And you become aware of how people can end up doing things they would never normally would have thought to do, because they need the money. It's that base.
On Starz/Encore.
Old 23rd February 2010, 00:46   #1266
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

^I thought Frost/Nixon was pretty well done - entertaining, historical, and without being too condescending to the point where you lose the feeling that it's still just a movie.

Old 23rd February 2010, 04:38   #1267
rockouthippie
Banned

I liked Frost/Nixon too, but I somehow expected more out of it.

Goldfinger

There aren't too many movies from 1964 that benefit from Bluray, but this is one of them. Sean Connery is young. "Q" is young. Yep. Bond destroys the bullet proof, ejector seat Aston Martin and then has to thaw Pussy Galore. Goldfinger has everything a Bond movie needs and points out the moral of the James Bond stories. When you are a bad girl, you'll have just about enough time to bang Bond before you get painted gold or have your head chopped off by the Korean assassin. This movie does special effects the old fashioned way and the consumption of brick house figured girls, ammo, and explosives is opulent.

It's probably been 20 years since I revisited this one. The last time was likely on bleary cable or VHS. Goldfinger holds up pretty good for being more than 40 years old. The print on the BD release is outstanding.

------

Fargo is fun. Especially the performance of Frances McDormand as the perky, quirky, pregnant, small town cop investigating a staged kidnapping.

----

Zombieland

If Zombieland is a formula zombie film, Woody Harrelson makes it fresh. It's a zombie movie. It's a good zombie movie.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 23rd February 2010 at 05:01.
Old 23rd February 2010, 20:39   #1268
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Love FARGO! The Coens always throw some twist in for the fun of it.
The Taking Of Pelham 1 2 3
I liked it better than Mr. Ebert. It's not a bad watch and I found Denzel and Travolta kinda cool and Tony Scott's direction over the top but not in such a bad way. It's on Starz this month.
Old 24th February 2010, 00:06   #1269
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Fargo? I'm immersed in that stuff! My years in South Dakota and now northwest Iowa make me think that everyone I talk to is from that movie. That and Dances With Wolves are huge out here. Good movies.

Old 25th February 2010, 08:25   #1270
rockouthippie
Banned

How much Travolta can a guy stand when all his roles are shades of Pulp Fiction? I really liked the 1974 version of Pelham.

Watching Travolta foam at the mouth one more time didn't do it for me. Pelham is a great story, but the 2009 movie covers that up and makes it a formula action movie starring formula hyper-violent psycho John Travolta. I guess I'm just Travolta'd out. Maybe he should do a movie .... something to do with puppies or bunnies without him eating them....

Watch the 1974 version if you haven't seen it. Really. It's one of the best movies ever made. I'll admit that could have something to do with my reservations about 2009 Pelham.

1974 version

I'm gonna have to pass on Dances with Wolves. It doesn't overcome the enormous drag factor of starring Kevin Costner. No movies do. It's really too bad. Ol' Kev running around fucking up what otherwise would be good movies. What a block of wood.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 25th February 2010 at 08:45.
Old 26th February 2010, 03:37   #1271
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

An Inconvenient Truth

Amount of time spent belaboring the viewer with a problem:
about 1 hour, 34 minutes

Amount of time spent giving suggestions on what you as the viewer can do to solve the problem:
about 2 minutes

It's really sad that these kinds of movies are like this when they could have been so effective at helping spread awareness of solutions and hope rather than guilt and despair. I see them on both ends of our political scene, and I wish someone would just step up and fill the void.

Gore could have spent about half or even a generous 2/3 making his point about the problem and spent the other half or 1/3 focusing on what people can do to help solve said problem. That would have made the movie great, but sadly this wasn't the case.

Old 26th February 2010, 13:13   #1272
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Quote:
Originally posted by rockouthippie
How much Travolta can a guy stand when all his roles are shades of Pulp Fiction? I really liked the 1974 version of Pelham.

Watching Travolta foam at the mouth one more time didn't do it for me. Pelham is a great story, but the 2009 movie covers that up and makes it a formula action movie starring formula hyper-violent psycho John Travolta. I guess I'm just Travolta'd out. Maybe he should do a movie .... something to do with puppies or bunnies without him eating them....

Watch the 1974 version if you haven't seen it. Really. It's one of the best movies ever made. I'll admit that could have something to do with my reservations about 2009 Pelham.

1974 version

I'm gonna have to pass on Dances with Wolves. It doesn't overcome the enormous drag factor of starring Kevin Costner. No movies do. It's really too bad. Ol' Kev running around fucking up what otherwise would be good movies. What a block of wood.
I have seen the 1974 version of Pelham, also. It is a better movie. I didn't mind this version as an action movie. I mean, parts of it were just silly, but I wasn't bored to death(whooppee! ) I didn't realize how many people didn't like Kevin Costner in Dances 'til recently. The scenics and point were good.
Old 27th February 2010, 05:25   #1273
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I liked it too, but I guess I can see RoH's point, if I were to watch too many Costner movies, I might get sick of them too; luckily I haven't. This is true (for me at least) with a lot of actors though, especially people like Ben Stiller, Jim Carrey, Robin Williams, and probably a few others too, where you might get me to enjoy a couple of their movies (small doses at a time), but not too many.

Old 27th February 2010, 21:10   #1274
rockouthippie
Banned

Quentin Tarentino films are on my list of things I'm probably going to start skipping. Been there. Done that. Zombieland was probably one too many.

Check out this vid:

http://blip*****file/3167170/

John Travolta .... lol

Last edited by rockouthippie; 27th February 2010 at 21:27.
Old 27th February 2010, 22:51   #1275
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I made it through about a third of the review and had to abandon it. What a sad way to see Travolta and even more sad cinematography...

Old 1st March 2010, 00:32   #1276
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Whiteout.

Skip it. Too many stupid annoying things that wouldn't actually happen, even though the movie tries to make it look like they could. Story was lame and acting mediocre at best. The ending was just sorta random (not suspenseful or anything cool like that) and left you curious as to what the writer wanted to accomplish; sorta like running out of gas in the middle of nowhere when you didn't really have a purpose or destination for driving in the first place.

Julie & Julia

I didn't watch it, but Renee rented and liked it.

Old 2nd March 2010, 13:41   #1277
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Mr and Mrs Smith
Just for the fun of it.
*goes off to beat the shit outta' ex* What?
Old 5th March 2010, 01:02   #1278
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:

Julie & Julia
Amy Adams is just such a little cutie
Old 6th March 2010, 04:00   #1279
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I really liked Mr. & Mrs. Smith. I ripped Julie & Julia with DVD Cloner before returning it, so hopefully I'll get a chance to watch it soon.

Last watched - Gracie (high school girl has her high school brother soccer star die in car accident, then tries to become the first girl on the soccer team, fighting a lot of battles that go along with it)

It was ok for what it was. The DVD was a free library rental, damaged at chapter 12 of 13 where 13 was just credits. In other words I never saw the ending, but I'm guessing it was a predictable outcome. Most library dvds are fine, but this one didn't make it in the regular player or in the computer, even after careful cleaning.

Old 6th March 2010, 07:23   #1280
rockouthippie
Banned

Sometimes with old DVD's, they've de-laminated. Look through them in a bright light. You'll see holes. That sucks. End of DVD.

They thought DVD's would last for a zillion years. If you have backed up old home movies on DVD, you probably better back up the backup. In real life DVD/DVD+-R lasts between 4 years and a zillion years, and there is no way to tell what it's gonna be.

I've gotten scratches out with a little gel (only use gel) toothpaste, water and your finger. You don't need to grind the scratch off. Circular motions across the scratch. Just dull it to make it less glossy. Rinse good. Dry good. Has worked on some nasty scratches.

I watched "A River Runs through It" on Hulu:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/46339/a-river-runs-through-it

Last edited by rockouthippie; 6th March 2010 at 07:40.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Movies and Television