Old 6th March 2010, 08:38   #1281
Sawg
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to Sawg Send a message via AIM to Sawg Send a message via Yahoo to Sawg
Checking the Netflix queue and it turns out I haven't watched too many movies as of lately. Mostly because I just finished off the second series of Hustle. So, let's interrupt the normal movie reviews for a British television review (from an American).

Hustle - A BBC series about a group of grifters (con artists), which I got into after going though the first two series of the American Leverage. Which are somewhat similar (though Hustle doesn't bother with making theme the good guys, the cons in Hustle are all for their own profit). But so far I am loving this show. I like the whole setup of the con, which is usually nor fully explained until after the climax. Id you are unfamiliar with either show, it is a bit like the Oceans 11 series. And half the fun is trying to figure out what really is happening, and not what they are letting you to believe is happening. Really looking forward to the following seasons. (Though I am a bit worried about the American/AMC influence and cast changes). But for at least the first two series, it is a strong (TV wise) five out of five.

But I did catch one movie...
Extract - I like Mike Judge and will watch anything he does. (Yes, I am one of "those" fans of Office Space). This was alright, I suppose. Not great, but not horrible. It got some chuckles here and there, but nothing really stands out as amazing. Not a 90 minutes I regret, but nothing that is that memorable either. (Which is why this review is light on details). A meh... 3 out of 5.

| Brought to you by ^V ^C | The one... the original... no seriously!
Sawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2010, 20:12   #1282
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

For Sawg!

Widdykats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2010, 23:18   #1283
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
Odd Girl Out

I think this gives a pretty realistic view of some of the shit that goes on in the adolescent girl world. It covers some of the non-physical, but very damaging effects of verbal and cyber bullying. I plan on showing it as a discussion and project-idea piece to my 8th graders. It's mostly well done.

Mean Girls

This is the first one I tried for the same purpose, but decided against it after seeing Odd Girl Out. Mean Girls covers high school cliques and their problems but is less realistic, more hollywood oriented, and less focused on what I'm trying to cover, so I don't plan on showing it to my students in class.

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2010, 04:31   #1284
rockouthippie
Banned

The Diary of Anne Frank (1959) 50th Anniversary Bluray

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052738/

50 years since 3 Oscars. Nice BD. A classic.

Quote:
Odd Girl Out
I think you should use Carrie instead. Odd girl out seems like one of those movies that would want to make me gouge my eyes out with a fork. Who knows though, you might give them some new ideas on how to inflict maximum damage on their classmates. Trying to talk 8th grade girls into being civil. Fat Chance

Last edited by rockouthippie; 9th March 2010 at 04:51.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2010, 20:11   #1285
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Well, the best I can hope for is a significant measurable reduction in documented bullying incidents, and I think that this and other things might help if handled right. I haven't seen Carrie yet, so I should check that out. I'm just using the movie to help students identify what it is and what it can become if not handled early on, then I go into appropriate ways of handling it. I use it together with ideas/material borrowed from the OLWEUS program (http://www.clemson.edu/olweus/) and the Stop Bullying Now program (http://www.stopbullyingnow.hrsa.gov/kids/). Both of those have good and bad points in my opinion, so I just sorta mix that stuff with my own stuff (e.g. peer mediation program) to best fit our setting. Students will then create and act out skits of their own showing how to handle common bullying situations and present them to 6th and 7th graders. I'm hoping this will teach them how to handle most of it on their own, and to bring it to my attention early if they can't. I don't think it'll eliminate adolescent bullying altogether, but I do hope and expect to see good measurable outcomes.

Old 10th March 2010, 10:21   #1286
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^Although I don't think you could show this in class, it is an interesting movie on many levels. Bully
I have seen this movie many times and like Havoc, it is something you don't want to look at and yet cannot turn away from.
Old 10th March 2010, 21:57   #1287
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Oh shit, now I remember Carrie... heh, I don't think I could get that movie approved by my principal, although I wish I could. That would make a fun movie day, but I doubt it would teach much. Bully doesn't ring a bell yet though - might have to search for it.

Old 10th March 2010, 22:16   #1288
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^Uh ..Clicky the Linky!
Old 11th March 2010, 03:12   #1289
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

got that, just need to find the movie. I'm not a netflix-er yet, but I probably should be.

Old 11th March 2010, 09:06   #1290
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

I don't use netflix either. Got cable, though.
Old 11th March 2010, 20:44   #1291
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Empire of the Sun

Good points and bad points, mostly worth the time spent so far (the movie is over 2.5 hours). I'm not finished with it yet though. It's the story of a British boy that spends late childhood/early adolescence in Japan, mostly as a prisoner of war without separate from his parents during WWII. I didn't think I'd like it at first, but it gets better is it progresses. So far so good. Looks like I only have about 15 minutes left.

[edit]over - not bad - give it a look if you see it and have the time[/edit]

Old 11th March 2010, 23:02   #1292
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^My first memory of Christian Bale on screen. I remember his face when he is reunited with his parents and how guant and "somewhere else" he looked..like someone who hadn't slept for a very long time. And one wanted to say.."you can sleep, now". I liked that movie very much.
Old 12th March 2010, 09:21   #1293
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I tend not to like his current stuff, but I have to say that it was pretty well done. I'm glad to say that I had no idea that the movie was Spielberg & Bale until after I was done watching it, and that's a good thing. I tend to like Spielberg movies and hate Bale movies, but it's so much better just to watch something on it's own merit rather than come in with preconceptions, and this was the rare occasion for me to do that, not knowing that this movie involved either of them.

Old 12th March 2010, 10:14   #1294
mcdoc

Last night I saw Dante's Inferno Animated Tonight im gonna see Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief.
mcdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2010, 16:58   #1295
QOAL
[STILL a retard!]

Hustle used to be great.
I think it went down hill after the 3rd or so series sadly. (Character changes, writing etc)
I used to really enjoy watching it.

Also worth watching would be Coupling (The original UK version), which has no relation to Hustle but I also enjoy it.

Anyway, I just watched the extremely manly, gritty action packed, Alice In Wonderland, because I'm extra manly and cool. (Or my mate actually wanted to see it and were going to meet up with a girl he works with + friends, who actually went to a different cinema and didn't tell us until we were basically at the other one.)

Ramblings copy/pasted from the counting thread:

Well as you can see it wasn't a long film.
Pacing was constant, no surprises along the way.
I still don't like watching stuff in 3D, needs a higher frame rate - I know that would cost more to produce though, also the 30% darker issue due to the glasses and your brain thinking you can look anywhere because it thinks it's real and then you catch your self out trying to focus on a blur.
Compositing software/techniques still have a long way to go before stuff looks actually seamless IMO.
The white queen isn't as hot as Alice.
It wasn't hugely entertaining to me.
Some things/chars had assumed importance with no real reason why so.
It felt wishy washy in places.
I'm fed up with over saturated visual styles.
It was like seeing a plate of food and knowing what it tastes like before you get to eating that part. (And I've never read the book.)

count!last.fmdastylishplanner
QOAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2010, 04:09   #1296
rockouthippie
Banned

Carrie! About a girl (Sissy Spacek) who gets antagonized by her classmates and displays telekinetic abilities, more or less burning the prom down. It's R. It's also probably one of the best horror films ever made.

In the 1970's rulebook of high school horror films it says nice sweet girls don't get chopped up by Freddie, but all the horny, nasty, bad girls are candidates for chainsaw action.

I don't know if that's educational or not.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 13th March 2010 at 05:30.
Old 13th March 2010, 06:51   #1297
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

^yeah, see my first march 10 post here - I did eventually remember seeing Carrie. It was good.

Renee and I watched M*A*S*H (the movie that came before the TV series) again. I still like it, except the football game part. They should have left that out - it was very unfitting to say the least when compared to the rest of the movie. The rest of the movie has some really creative and unique comedy throughout.

Old 15th March 2010, 15:50   #1298
rockouthippie
Banned

Rewatched Sante Sangre:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Sangre

It is too weird for words. A 1989 Italian cult film about a guy in a mental hospital having flashbacks about his experiences with a cult called the "Holy Blood" (Sante Sangre).

If you like bizarre movies, check this one out. Not for the squeamish to be sure. "A Clockwork Orange" sort of weird. Maybe even weirder.
Old 16th March 2010, 04:39   #1299
rockouthippie
Banned

1945. Jane Wyman and Ray Milland are a couple drunks on a "Lost Weekend".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lost_Weekend_(film)

Related and in my rental queue:

1966. Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolfe? Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor get drunk and beat the hell out of each other, reprising their real life.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who's_A...oolf%3F_(film)

Last edited by rockouthippie; 16th March 2010 at 05:00.
Old 1st April 2010, 03:05   #1300
rockouthippie
Banned

A couple of undistinguished movies:

*Might have been worth the $2 at Redbox.

The Surrogates.

I want to try this again in Bluray. The plot was really thin. Predictable. Good eye candy.

The Men who Stare at Goats

It was everything but funny. It could be that I'm just sort of Cloonied out. Clooney is sort of this zen hippie weird psychic peace soldier and acts weird for a couple hours.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 1st April 2010 at 03:56.
Old 7th April 2010, 05:01   #1301
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to deeder7001 Send a message via Yahoo to deeder7001
Hot Tub Time Machine.

Stupid movie but has funny parts.

There is no sig.
deeder7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2010, 05:50   #1302
Komodo

Just watched Paranormal Activity... and now a lightening storm is starting
Actually dug the flick, pretty creepy. If you liked The Blair Witch Project you should check it out. Some of the tension was excellent.
Komodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2010, 16:41   #1303
rockouthippie
Banned

CAPITALISM: A LOVE STORY

The latest installment from America's quintessential tub of Crisco.

Moon

This rocked. Popcorn and HDTV time!

Last edited by rockouthippie; 14th April 2010 at 17:02.
Old 26th April 2010, 00:44   #1304
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Gridiron Gang.

A football movie. It shows juvenile criminals using football to transform from gang thugs to football jocks. It was worth the borrowing from a neighbor's renting (free for me), but it was nothing to write home about.

edit, well what do you know, I have 7K non-bin posts now. (probably around 30K if you include the bin, as it was near 28 when the forum was upgraded) I need to back off.

Old 28th April 2010, 16:48   #1305
rockouthippie
Banned

I went and saw Kick Ass. L... O.... L !!!!! Don't watch the trailer because it's got a scene you should just watch in the movie.

This sort of thing wouldn't ordinarily be my cup of tea, but I usually don't laugh out loud in a movie theater. I don't think anyone could help it.

I can't help wondering if the 11 year old girl who plays the femme fatale in this film will need counseling. If you are offended by sex, drugs, violence or language, you might want to skip this one. I think it's so funny it gets away with it. I just went to see this because I never saw a Nicolas Cage movie I hated. It was even funnier than Raising Arizona.
Old 29th April 2010, 09:03   #1306
Sawg
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to Sawg Send a message via AIM to Sawg Send a message via Yahoo to Sawg
Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day - I was a little worried having a sequel show up eight years later and not really do well at all in theaters. That being said, this is clearly a cult classic and the sequel will probably fall into the same category. Staying away from any spoilers, I have to say the ending is just amazing. The mount of retuning cast is quite impressive and the addition of Julie Benz was quite awesome and she tool the mantle of the FBI Agent quite well. (I guess she has a thing for serial killers). If you haven't seen the first, this will make no sense to you at all. If you have seen the first and feel it is one of those college cult classics then it's a five out of five.

How to Train Your Dragon - I think 3D is a lame gimmick and it used to try to sell bad movies. This movie is far from a bad movie, but the 3D still feels like a gimmick, so if you see it in 2D you aren't gonna miss anything. Except for the occasional boat, projectile or dragon coming right for you. But the story is excellent, the humor is funny and the voice acting is near perfect. As an adult with no children I toughly enjoyed this movie. But because of the 3D wank... four out of five.

Old 29th April 2010, 21:49   #1307
rockouthippie
Banned

I don't think RealD cuts it either. I don't think I'd dismiss 3d outright though. It has possibilities.
Old 29th April 2010, 22:19   #1308
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

I just saw http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/...906179987/1023
Moon. I really enjoyed it. Sam Rockwell as Sam(all of them) and Kevin Spacey is the voice of Gerty. Well done.
Old 29th April 2010, 23:30   #1309
rockouthippie
Banned

Jakob The Liar is a freebie on Crackle. Robin Williams plays a jewish man in the Warsaw ghetto during WWII. What would a movie with such themes be without Alan Arkin? He's in it too.

It's a solid film, if not inspired, and free is a good price.
Old 4th May 2010, 06:25   #1310
crumejack
Banned

I watched The Hangover movie last night with my friends....It is a good movie to watch....We all like this lovely comedy and crime movie....
crumejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 21:29   #1311
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

I watched The Notebook and The Boy in Striped Pyjamas.

I thought they both were good movies.

There is no sig.
Old 7th May 2010, 00:12   #1312
biggamehunter44

the hangover sure is a funny one
biggamehunter44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2010, 16:03   #1313
cakweh
Banned

guys, i think superman returns always in my favorit movies. I wonder what they will release a superman 2?
cakweh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 01:48   #1314
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Montana Sky (a movie made from the Nora Roberts book)

I didn't see much of it; Renee viewed it while I was doing stuff for work, so I'll give you her opinion. She liked it, but she said the book was much better. From what I saw it wasn't bad.

Old 10th May 2010, 04:08   #1315
rockouthippie
Banned

How did I ever miss this one? Robin Williams in an awesome thriller.
Old 22nd May 2010, 15:28   #1316
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^ I like One Hour Photo. Creepy as shit!
http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/...593221592/1023Tropic Thunder!! Ahahahahahhahaha
Really funny!! No, really!!!
Old 23rd May 2010, 10:38   #1317
Sawg
Forum King

Time for catching up...

The Informant & The Men Who Stare at Goats - Can I review two movies at the exact same time? Yes. All the advertisements made this movie look like it was supposed to be a comedy, which seemingly was missed on me. Sure there were a few humorous moments, but nothing really stood out as being all the funny. It had an interesting story, but in the end it was a dialog and exposition heavy story that just really failed to entertain. Even with the big star as the odd but lovable character who just never seemed quite right, it was hard to really care for him or feel for his story. Needless to say, I found myself fast forwarding a lot though this movies. I am gonna have to give it a two out of five.

Iron Man 2 - Knock it off with the crazy character additions. Iron Man 2 was a movie of too may characters with not enough screen time. At least this movie seemed to have only one main villain (though there is the rich guy / villain financier. When will they ever learn...) But half this movie felt like a setup for the Avengers and not Iron Man. (Though that did get us Scarlett Johansson in skin tight black outfits kicking ass, I guess it isn't all that bad). But it really felt like a lot of diffrent characters all fighting for screen time. That being said, it was freakin' awesome. Amazing action scenes, good addition of comedy and a lot of delving into Stark's dark side. Well worth seeing in the theaters and not waiting for the Bluray. Four out of five.

Old 23rd May 2010, 12:46   #1318
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^ Sorry to hear The Men Who Stare At Goats was such a flop. If you like Robert Downey Jr. You'll love Tropic Thunder...I loved him in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. (with Val Kilmer as Gay Perry )
Old 25th May 2010, 02:04   #1319
rockouthippie
Banned

Yeah, the goats movie was pretty lame.

I went and saw the last Shrek in 3d. I have seen some critical reviews over a thin plot. I didn't choose an animated fairy tale for a complicated plot. It was a little predictable. Fairy tales are. Shrek was colorful and fun. The 3D was well done. It made me LOL a couple times. 4/5.

I liked the latest Iron Man installment. Again, you could pick at the plot, but it was fun. 6/10.

Neither of these made it less than fun to drink Coke and eat 40 weight oil with popcorn in it.
Old 25th May 2010, 20:02   #1320
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

The Messenger

There is no sig.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Movies and Television