Old 25th February 2011, 06:52   #1
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to mike-db
Moar computer help please

Alright, we've got a gateway DX4720. We are just reinstalling Vista on to it, we were able to get our hands on a dvd with the vista iso on it.

Anyways the vista setup is asking for drivers at the beginning of the setup, but I'm not sure what drivers it wants! Would if be a SATA AHCI Driver?

SEX APPEAL UP IN HERE!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
mike-db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2011, 10:34   #2
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Don't you go to that device manager and then see if drivers are up to date. And set user acct low. I have 7 and on never notify.
Widdykats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2011, 19:54   #3
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

It's kind of hard to go to the device manager when I don't have a operating system installed.

SEX APPEAL UP IN HERE!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Old 25th February 2011, 20:16   #4
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Would if be a SATA AHCI Driver?
Yes.

If it is asking you to provide another driver, make sure you have all other peripherals unplugged other than mouse and keyboard. Get in the BIOS and make sure RAID is off (assuming you are not using it). It could be looking for a RAID driver, when the bios isn't providing one.... not configured...
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2011, 22:09   #5
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

I cannot find any sort of RAID setting in the BIOS, which is the odd part I've seen a lot of people say "Change to AHCI" and I cannot find any sort of ability to in the BIOS.

And now for some reason, it wont even try to boot any more. It just goes through the gateway loading screen then NVRAM update, then nothing, a black screen.

SEX APPEAL UP IN HERE!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Old 25th February 2011, 22:27   #6
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-db View Post
Alright, we've got a gateway DX4720. We are just reinstalling Vista on to it, we were able to get our hands on a dvd with the vista iso on it.

Anyways the vista setup is asking for drivers at the beginning of the setup, but I'm not sure what drivers it wants! Would if be a SATA AHCI Driver?
Can you ignore that(The asking for drivers)...and download em later..
Just reread the last post...nevermind.
Old 25th February 2011, 22:31   #7
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

Yeah I tried to ignore it, doesn't happen trying to closes the setup.

SEX APPEAL UP IN HERE!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Old 25th February 2011, 22:33   #8
fc*uk

You may need to update the bios. Clearly you have another working computer to download the bois and check to see if your's is the latest.
fc*uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2011, 22:36   #9
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Can you test your ISO thingy on another machine? Can you download Vista?(although I hated the four months I had it.)
Old 25th February 2011, 22:53   #10
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

@Fc*uk Where do I find out which BIOS I'm running?

@Widdy No I can't test it on another machine, we don't have another that can support it.

SEX APPEAL UP IN HERE!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Old 25th February 2011, 22:57   #11
fc*uk

Generally, it will tell you it boot. It may also tell you somewhere in the screens associated with your bios settings.
fc*uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2011, 23:51   #12
thinktink
Forum King

Send a message via Skype™ to thinktink
If this spec is the correct one I don't think the motherboard supports RAID and your report about not being able to find an option to enable/disable RAID seems to support that.

I think just go back into the BIOS and tell it to reset to the (optimum) defaults and then try again. If it's asking if you need to load additional drivers... ...yada yada yada... ...during the setup just ignore it and proceed (I forgot which key it is.)

I think...
thinktink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2011, 02:38   #13
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

Already loaded optimized defaults, nothing changed.

SEX APPEAL UP IN HERE!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Old 26th February 2011, 02:47   #14
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Send a message via Yahoo to Too-DAMN-Much
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-db View Post
It just goes through the gateway loading screen then NVRAM update, then nothing, a black screen.
it sounds like you've got your BIOS set to show you the logo instead of your POST screen when it boots up.

I hate everyone, so you don't have to.
Too-DAMN-Much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2011, 12:38   #15
Smeggle
Just Strolling By
(Major Dude)

Go into your bios and check whether it is set for ahci . Go to the gateway support site and download the required driver

Out this on a floppy disc (I'm assuming your working machine has one here btw) or use a clean blank usb key

Go to machine you want to install Vista on

At point it asks for driver select the option to install the driver and insert floppy or usb key.

It will then look for (Sometimes you have to help it) the driver and install it then return you to the setup procedure...

nb: you can also use a usb floppy to do this or if you don't have a floppy on the machine - most older boards still support them. I generally just plug one in for the installation of the driver and then remove after - just leave it hang out side the machine while your setting the basics up...

Only had to do this a couple of times with older machines running crappy vista..

BTW Why use that heap of crap anyway? use windows 7 and you won't have the driver problem - simple enough to 'Load' it

Music is Life, Love and Happiness :|: Life is Music. Serren - 1985 - 2005
Religion? Religion is a Blasphemy against humanity - From the film What the Bleep do we know

siggy link So stumbling? whats it all about
Smeggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 01:32   #16
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Out this on a floppy disc
I haven't had a floppy disc in 10 years. Can you even buy floppys?

Anyhow. I poked through my lexicon of tech notes and I may have your grief. Some NEC made CD drives have shown this error under early Vista. Try a different optical drive.
Old 1st March 2011, 03:23   #17
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeggle View Post
BTW Why use that heap of crap anyway? use windows 7 and you won't have the driver problem - simple enough to 'Load' it
QFT

Old 1st March 2011, 07:45   #18
rockouthippie
Banned

I think Vista works ok, at least in it's current updated form. I haven't seen the reason to buy Windows 7.... at least not yet. I do have it on my laptop.
Old 1st March 2011, 09:46   #19
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

i know a place that sold legit keys for $27 bucks. Not that I used that when I installed on my friends machine!
and you can re-arm on the cmd prompt for up to 180 days (30 days at a time).

Last edited by Widdykats; 1st March 2011 at 12:20.
Old 1st March 2011, 10:22   #20
rockouthippie
Banned

You can get a new retail box copy of Vista Home Basic (who needs Aero?) for $40 or $50 from ebay. I haven't had any trouble with Vista lately. Yay!

Like I said, I have Windows 7 on my laptop. I haven't seen any reason to buy windows 7. One reason might be is if I wanted to run a larger RAID array. There is a 2TB limit on Vista. Other than that, Vista seems to be Windows. I'm running windows on a couple of TB Toshiba drives in a RAID 0. I have thought about making it 4. That would take windows 7. The bottleneck on my latest greatest machine is hard disk speed.

Most of the early grief Vista gave me was device driver problems. That's not been a problem in a while. I don't use my laptop and wish my desk had windows 7.
Old 1st March 2011, 12:21   #21
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

I LOVE Aero!♥ I'm that vapid.
I hated how your screen turned dark and Vista asked you Are you sure you want to download such and such?
Yes, I'm sure . I'm at CCleaner and I'm sure, ok...I'm positive.Ok? Leave me alone.. O.O oh, sorry....>>>>>
Old 1st March 2011, 14:48   #22
rockouthippie
Banned

Almost every install I have seen of Windows from sources of questionable heritage has been a problem.
Old 1st March 2011, 18:17   #23
Singomat

For me Vista has been step back from Windows XP. Release was buggy as hell and I hated it then. It's stable now and I still use Vista on one of my laptops, but I will switch to Windows 7 as soon as I have time to browse and backup all the data.

Everywhere else I use Windows 7 and I far more pleased with performance and hardware consuption. Last time I even installed 7 on a 512 MB RAM laptop with some old Celeron CPU. And would you believe it runs smooth? Ok I did small tweakings with aero, but nevertheless... It runs faster than my Vista laptop with 2GB RAM and duo core.

Singomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 20:34   #24
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockouthippie View Post
I think Vista works ok, at least in it's current updated form. I haven't seen the reason to buy Windows 7.... at least not yet. I do have it on my laptop.
even calling windows 7 a vista "expansion pack" seems to be putting it lightly in my opinion and honestly, if they're so similar, why invest any cash into the one that's going to be obsolete first?

makeup and bugfixes, that's what 7 added to vista, nothing more.

oh and lastly, compare the memory usage with as close to identical programs/processes running as you can muster, vista is a resource hog in comparison.

oh and widdy, i'm with you, vista, 7, aero or nothing, yeah i'm shallow too
also interesting to note (for some anyway) UAC can be adjusted to be quite a bit less annoying without needing to be entirely disabled in 7, vista on the other hand?
i can't say for sure, but last i checked, the dim the desktop thing that vista forced on you, it caused many many crashes and even a few blue screens, 7 with UAC and prompting on but no dimming and i've yet to have a problem.

Old 1st March 2011, 21:48   #25
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

I am on never notify and I've have had no "dimming" on 7. I hated that shit. My seven hasn't caused me any grief. Knocks on everything. And it's pretty.
Old 1st March 2011, 22:49   #26
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

7, always notify, never dim.

it's yet to shit it's pants in comprehension of it's own retardation, vista however did, several times, surprisingly badly too, no data loss at least or at least no significant data loss that i ever noticed, but vista crapped it's pants, head spun, projectile vomit, "fuck me in the ass", "the power of christ compels you", the whole nine yards regularly.

Old 2nd March 2011, 06:17   #27
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ahehehehehehehe ahhhhhhhh*whew*
*Nice imaging, there TDM!
Old 2nd March 2011, 12:19   #28
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Location: West Virginia Googolplex: 10^10¹°° FB:/SSJ4.DominusDeus DeviantArt: DominusDeus XboX GT: A Wild Meeseeks Playstation 4: DominusDeus
Send a message via AIM to SSJ4 Gogitta
I'm glad my next OS will be Windows 7. Vista appears to be the Windows ME version of XP.

My OS history (though I've used them as far back as Windows 3.11) is Windows 98SE -> Windows 2000 -> Windows Server 2003 -> Windows XP.

I miss Win2k. Windows 7 better have the ability to make the taskbar and windows look like Win2k/98. I'm not a fan of eyecandy.

SSJ4 Gogitta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2011, 12:34   #29
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^ I feel so...so... cheap.
Old 2nd March 2011, 23:46   #30
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJ4 Gogitta View Post
Windows 7 better have the ability to make the taskbar and windows look like Win2k/98. I'm not a fan of eyecandy.
Yes, I have it set up to look like Vista, even though I'm running 7. If you want, you can make it look and function like any current or previous Windows version back to '98. I really like the taskbar setup from xp/vista: start button, then quick launch, then open program buttons to the right and the notification area to the far right.

It takes a little time and effort to get it just right, but here (< click) is how it's done.

For the most part, Vista caused me a lot of headaches that I don't have with 7. The only thing that very slightly annoys me is the shutting off of storage drives due to inactivity and energy saving features. This means a 4-5 seconds delay when suddenly you try to access something from a drive that has fallen asleep. I'd be willing to bet that it could be set to run them all the time, but I'm guessing it's more worth it to just let them sleep when inactive. With Vista, all drives ran all the time, so this delay didn't exist.

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2011, 16:18   #31
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Location: West Virginia Googolplex: 10^10¹°° FB:/SSJ4.DominusDeus DeviantArt: DominusDeus XboX GT: A Wild Meeseeks Playstation 4: DominusDeus
Windows 7 question. When I click anywhere in the highlighted blue area it selects the file. This annoys me to no end. Is there any way to set it like it was in Windows XP, where only clicking the file is what selects the file? Had to turn off single click mode because of the cock-knockery of running file by clicking what should be a fucking empty area (like under the "total file size" section) of a folder. But no, it selects the file.

I enjoy the look of windows 2000, but I don't enjoy double clicking shit like it's Windows 95.

Old 26th March 2011, 16:43   #32
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Trent Reznor! (an Oscar winner now) is from my tiny hometown of Mercer, PA.

Sadly, on details view you are correct; it selects the file regardless of which column your mouse is in. However, on list view, clicking to the right of the text will select the window and not the file. This allows your right-clicking to give you the blank-space menu ~ in other words it'll give you folder options rather than file options, whereas right clicking on the file name or icon will still give you your file options, and left clicking will still select the file if you are over the name or icon. [I had to white out some folder names in the bottom left because they included people's names from work.]

Old 26th March 2011, 16:54   #33
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

I guess I can live with list view.

Old 6th October 2011, 03:35   #34
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

Alright guys... I'm having a new problem with the Gateway I was working on... We lost parts and frankensteined it back together... Point being now the bloody thing wont power up. Fan spin's WiFi LED comes on and... Nothing. Any ideas?

SEX APPEAL UP IN HERE!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Old 6th October 2011, 04:34   #35
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Can you get it to POST? It usually involves a beep sound that comes from the motherboard speaker.

Do any hard drives begin spinning when you hit the power button?

Old 6th October 2011, 10:40   #36
rockouthippie
Banned

and do the fans connected to the motherboard spin? the cpu fan? or just the case fans?
Old 8th October 2011, 21:34   #37
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

CPU fan does spin, once. trying to press the power button again does nothing in order to have it redo this I have to un-plug and re-plug power.

SEX APPEAL UP IN HERE!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Old 9th October 2011, 02:19   #38
rockouthippie
Banned

Make sure there isn't a 4 pin molex connector on the motherboard. This is away from the main power connector and needs to be hooked up if it's there. It's molex like the main plug, square and 4 pins. You will find a power supply lead to fit it.

One thing that will cause this is if you hooked up any IDE cables backwards. They are keyed to keep you from doing this, but I've seen sockets that would let you do it.

That failing, it sounds like the power supply. It's what I'd check. Your mom and pop computer store would probably be happy to test it for you... if you pull it.... $10 if you need to buy a tester. A voltmeter won't tell you true. You need to use a tester.

If it's not bad, disconnect everything. Start with the motherboard and one DIMM of ram only. If the MB has onboard video, pull the video card and use the onboard. If the MB doesn't have onboard video it would be good to test with another video card. If you are not working with the one DIMM, try the rest one at a time.

Start plugging stuff in one at a time and wait for it to break. If none of the DIMM's work and the power supply is good, it's the motherboard and time for a Viking funeral.

The last thing you want to hook up is the hard disk.

Like I said. I'll bet it's the power supply. I've seen a couple fail just like you said. They light the green MB light, but when you hit the power switch they just sputter and shut off. Your nose might tell you if you sniff the power supply. Usually something lets some smoke out. I think what happens is that the power supply detects that it's fried and shuts down to avoid damaging stuff. For this reason, test the power supply first. It would be a bad idea to rely on "panic" states in the power supply to avoid damage.

It is a rule that more than 99% of the time there will be only one thing wrong with any device you are troubleshooting. Find that thing methodically.
Old 9th October 2011, 06:46   #39
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingdjted View Post
Can you get it to POST? It usually involves a beep sound that comes from the motherboard speaker.

Do any hard drives begin spinning when you hit the power button?
unfortunate as it is ted, he's probably in true blundering computer masochist form unknowingly disconnected the PC speaker preventing him for hearing any of the diagnostic code beeps if there were any.

beyond that, i doubt he even has the motherboard manual any longer to look them up and find out what they mean.

Old 9th October 2011, 21:45   #40
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Most mobo speakers are soldered on, although some are on a short-wire plug and able to be disconnected (mine is like that). If there is a beep code, I could likely look it up for him since pretty much all manuals to everything ever produced with a manual can be found using a pdf search engine online.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions