shaken, not sturred.

Needs more moo-cows.
Scar Da Kookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2010, 05:38   #283
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
I pour about 5 or 6 parts gin to 1 part Vermouth into a steel ice-filled shaker and slowly/gently turn it upside down and right side up (don't want to bruise high quality gin) until it's rather cold in my hand. I then strain into a Flames D'Amore 24% lead crystal martini glass, add a pair of jumbo Spanish queen olives (pitted with pimento) on a long toothpick (I hate short toothpicks that fall into the glass!).

If I make a martini, it must be either Hendricks, Bombay Sapphire, or Tanqueray 10 for the gin and Martini & Rossi Extra Dry Vermouth. For things like gin&tonic and the like, I can go with lesser-grade gins (regular Tanqueray, Beefeaters, non-Sapphire Bombay).

I won't shake gin though. Maybe vodka, but not gin.

Don't forget to live before you die.

Last edited by swingdjted; 8th June 2010 at 08:20. Reason: forgot to close parenthesis
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2010, 07:17   #284
rockouthippie
Banned

My dad told me that I was born because of a Martini, so I could share the proper way to prepare an authentic martini. AKA a "perfect" martini circa 1960-72.

You will need your standard stainless steel martini shaker because it is impossible to detect the proper refrigeration factor in other utensils.

Fill the proper tool, the stainless steel martini shaker with ice that should be zero fahrenheit. Pour a "glug" of dry vermouth in the shaker and shake it until it is so cold that your hands ache.... or until you get tired of looking at the big titted gal that you were telling how to make a "perfect" martini jiggle.

Dump the excess vermouth in the sink, replace with good gin or wodka..... shake until incredibly cold again. Pour up. Proper liquors would be Bombay, London Dry, or if you wanted Vodka.... Stoli or Grey Goose.

Pimentos have absolutely no place in a martini, so knock pick them out or buy 1" spanish olives (preferred). You may use lime wedge. That is called a gimlet.

Panty dropper. I'm alive.

To see if you did it right by 1970 standards, you can use a thermometer, which will record the drink as no warmer than 26F. A picky bar captain I used to know actually measured.

"Colder than frozen" is the mark of a good "martoonee" and needs shaking by a bartender with big tits or in a pinch, I guess a guy could do it.

Upon pouring, the glass should immediately frost. Your fingers should stick a little from cold.

Cold. Very cold. If you are working on a shaker, which no bar would ever do. Shake a lot. Mo' shaking is mo' cold and way mo' betta.

It's the same principle that makes your reefer work. The marks of whether you did it right:

Is it 25 degrees? Did pouring frost the glass? If not, you are scum.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2010, 08:19   #285
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
If you have good ingredients, ultra-low temperatures hide the taste and the aromatics of the gin and will cause you to miss the reasons for buying such good stuff (in which case, it would be to an advantage to just use mid-grade stuff), although I will admit, it's nice to start them at least somewhat cold. Generally speaking, the shaker is frosted over when I make them, but I don't think the glass frosts when I strain. "Bruising" a drink is basically chilling beyond the point where the aromatics/characteristics become hidden, which is why shitty macro-brew beer is best served as cold as possible without solidifying, where as quality drinks are best left at taste-able temperatures.

On M*A*S*H, Alan Alda's character Benjamin Franklin "Hawkeye" Pierce says "You pour six jiggers of gin, and you drink it while staring at a picture of Lorenzo Schwartz, the inventor of Vermouth."

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2013, 05:58   #286
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

Remember when this thread made half the community their shit? Those were the days.

This is a sig of some nature.
Psythik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2014, 19:46   #287
Scar Da Kookee
[Forum Pastry]

My (As in I made it :P )
Green Cuban Communist

1 18oz or 16oz glass
fill 2/3rds of the way with ice
1oz of Vodka
1oz of spiced rum
1oz of apple cider (or a rich apple juice (like mozz or something))
fill the rest with Smirnoff Ice 'Green Apple Bite' (Important)

Sip, and don't have too many

Needs more moo-cows.
Scar Da Kookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 20:09   #288
. - .... .- -. ....
Backpacking

Send a message via ICQ to . - .... .- -. .... Send a message via Yahoo to . - .... .- -. ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psythik View Post
Remember when this thread made half the community their shit? Those were the days.
I certainly miss the group dynamic that was here back then, before facebook and everything that goes with it.... Good group of people for the most part, some I'm glad to say I'm still in touch with...

Like my photography? Buy some here....
. - .... .- -. .... is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions