Old 29th April 2008, 03:04   #1
Jon O'Brien

Networked Media Library

People seem to have been asking for a networked media library for a long time, several years in fact, but it's not listed in the wishlist. This is the one feature that I would really like to see as Winamp is less than convenient to use around the house without it.

Please would the developers either add it to the wishlist or let us know why it hasn't already been added (which presumably means it's not going to be implemented).

If Winamp is never going to have this feature then I'd quite like to know now, so that I can start the search for a player that does have a networked library ASAP, even if it's not as good as Winamp in other areas.

Many thanks.
Jon O'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2008, 03:52   #2
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Send a message via AIM to Nunzio390 Send a message via Yahoo to Nunzio390
I'm not understanding you. Both myself, my girlfriend, and my daughter have our own separate installations of Winamp on each of our puters. We share the same media library files via a common network share that's been mapped by each of us in My Computer. The shared media folder (and sub-folders) were then selected in Winamp via the "Add media to library" option. Each and every time any of us start our individual Winamps and/or systems, we always have those selections available in our Media Library (plus others that are specific to each of our puters).

Now... in your only other post in these forums from back on 01-15-2008, you stated this (but never received a reply)...

Can anyone suggest why the media library should be losing its data, please?

The only reason I can think of as to why you are losing your data might be this... when each of myself, my girlfriend, and my daughter mapped the shared drive/folder, we all made certain that "Reconnect at logon" was checkmarked initially when mapping. That way, the shared drive/folder is always accessible/mapped to and there is subsequently never any data loss because the share is always there.

So... perhaps the above was overlooked on your part? If so, delete the mapped drive and go to My Computer > Tools > Map network drive... and make absolutely certain that that "Reconnect at logon" is checkmarked initially when you re-map. Then go to Winamp and point to that mapped share when you "Add media to library".

Don't email or PM me concerning Winamp. Instead, either start a NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY in the appropriate thread in these forums. This will also benefit others who may have a similar question or problem. But before posting, please first Search the forums and read all FAQs and all Sticky threads.

ORB Remote Broadcast

[ Automated Jukebox | Nunzio's Home | Wacky Videos | Solve the Prunella Puzzle! ]
[ LINE RIDER! | My Resume | Virtual Chess | Composite Sketch | My Niece's Band ]
[ Plugins by Joonas | DrO's Winamp Plugins and Extras | K-Jöfol ]
Nunzio390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2008, 15:48   #3
Jon O'Brien

Thanks for your response.
Quote:
Originally posted by Nunzio390 I'm not understanding you. Both myself, my girlfriend, and my daughter have our own separate installations of Winamp on each of our puters. We share the same media library files via a common network share that's been mapped by each of us in My Computer.
Maybe that's where I've been going wrong. I haven't mapped the directory with the audio files at all. On the networked machines I've been telling Winamp to watch \\machine\directory\. This does populate the library but the entries don't last.

I've now mapped that directory to a network drive name and started Winamp scanning for files. I'll see how that goes.

However, what I'd really like is to be able to point the copy of Winamp on the networked machines to the media library on the server. That way the networked machines wouldn't have to keep rescanning for changes. The server would do that and all the other machines would access the master library. That would be far more efficient and would mean less network traffic, I think.

As I noted in my original post, this is something people have been asking for for some time but, as far as I can tell, the developers haven't responded to the requests in any way. Not even to reject the idea.
Old 30th April 2008, 12:25   #4
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

OK. You mentioned something else above...

On the networked machines I've been telling Winamp to watch \\machine\directory\. This does populate the library but the entries don't last.

Due to what you said above there is very likely another cause of the data loss you mentioned in your first thread in these forums. DJ Egg explains it and I'll quote him here now...

Yeah, that option has always been there, and is checkmarked by default.
What it means is that it will automatically remove any missing files when you do a full scan.
Because the network drive isn't connected, then Winamp will treat those files as missing, and remove them.

If you want to remove missing files when the drive IS connected, keep that option unchecked (or you can keep it checked, but remember to uncheck it when the drive isn't connected), and manually remove missing files by using "Library button -> Remove missing files from library" instead.

So... whether you are mapped or not, or whether or not your wish to "be able to point the copy of Winamp on the networked machines to the media library on the server" is granted, if for any reason your network connection fails and the scan occurs at that time, you will in fact lose the ML data if that option is checked.
Old 30th April 2008, 16:54   #5
Jon O'Brien

Quote:
Originally posted by Nunzio390
Winamp -> Prefs -> Media Library -> Local Media -> Watch Folders tab:
Uncheck "Automatically remove missing files"...
Many thanks for pointing that out. When I was searching the forums to try to find a solution to my problem I did come across that post and unchecked the option but the library entries still kept disappearing.

Since mapping my 'Jukebox' directory to a network drive name, though, things are looking much better. For the first time all 10,000 or so files have appeared in the networked machine's media library (it only managed partial listings before) and, so far, they've all stayed there.

Thanks once again for the help. It's much appreciated, especially by my wife. She wanted to get some living space back by ripping all our music to a neworked machine and putting the CDs into storage space. The ripping took a long time but was fairly easy to achieve. Now all the music's available on the network we can put the final part of the plan into operation.
Old 30th April 2008, 18:27   #6
Skinjob

Quote:
I'm not understanding you. Both myself, my girlfriend, and my daughter have our own separate installations of Winamp on each of our puters. We share the same media library files via a common network share that's been mapped by each of us in My Computer. The shared media folder (and sub-folders) were then selected in Winamp via the "Add media to library" option. Each and every time any of us start our individual Winamps and/or systems, we always have those selections available in our Media Library (plus others that are specific to each of our puters).
We've all figured out various workarounds like this, but it's far from ideal. While the media files themselves are shared on the network, the Winamp ML database and plalists are still stored separately on each machine. So you have to find some way to keep all the different machines in sync with the latest additions, deletions, renames and tag edits. With a small library it's feasible to use the scan at startup option, but for big libraries this is really not an option. And still you have the problem of getting the playlists updated on the all the machines.

My solution is to do all library maintenance on one machine and use a batch file to copy all the ML files to the other machines. But of course that will overwrite any changes made on the other machines.

We really, really need a network capable media library.
Skinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2008, 22:34   #7
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon O'Brien
Since mapping my 'Jukebox' directory to a network drive name, though, things are looking much better. For the first time all 10,000 or so files have appeared in the networked machine's media library (it only managed partial listings before) and, so far, they've all stayed there.
Yes, they should all remain (providing no scans occur during network "downtime"). They always remain for us at home!
Quote:
Originally posted by Jon O'Brien
Thanks once again for the help.
You are very welcome.
Quote:
Originally posted by Skinjob
My solution is to do all library maintenance on one machine and use a batch file to copy all the ML files to the other machines. But of course that will overwrite any changes made on the other machines.
Yes. That's a feasible workaround of sorts.
Quote:
That would be ideal. I agree. But I'm perfectly satisfied with the mapped drive/folders my household uses.
Old 1st May 2008, 11:24   #8
Jon O'Brien

Quote:
Yes, they should all remain (providing no scans occur during network "downtime").
Shouldn't having "Automatically remove missing files" unticked take care of that eventuality?
Old 1st May 2008, 11:50   #9
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Yes. That's what I was referring to. I should have instead said this to avoid confusion...

Yes, they should all remain (providing you've UNchecked "Automatically remove missing files" so that no scans occur during network "downtime").
Old 1st May 2008, 12:36   #10
Jon O'Brien

Quote:
Yes. That's what I was referring to.
Thanks for the clarification.
Old 3rd May 2008, 13:48   #11
jccobb

Quote:
We've all figured out various workarounds like this, but it's far from ideal. While the media files themselves are shared on the network, the Winamp ML database and plalists are still stored separately on each machine. So you have to find some way to keep all the different machines in sync with the latest additions, deletions, renames and tag edits. With a small library it's feasible to use the scan at startup option, but for big libraries this is really not an option. And still you have the problem of getting the playlists updated on the all the machines.

This sounds like the way to go for me--how do I create the batch file or in other words where is the winamp ML stored--what is the file extension(s)? Thanks--and againa network capable media library is really needed--this is the 21st century.
jccobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2008, 16:27   #12
tizzo

I'm glad that all these workarounds to the problem that would be solved by a shared media library database have been offered. In fact, I've learned something that will help me with a problem that I've been having.

However I haven't seen an answer to the original question, which is can the solution (as opposed to workaround) to the problem (IE a shared media library) be added to the wishlist (if it hasn't already)?

I realize this would be a nontrivial modification since you'd have to deal one way or another with managing multi-user access to the library. In fact I have some ideas on how to accomplish this (having solved almost the exact same problem in a legacy system I maintain in my professional capacity).

Anyway, add my name to the list of people who would like a built-in capability to use a shared media library from multiple instances WinAmp. I share all my media files from a single network drive, I'd just like to be able to do the same with the media library (including information that isn't obtained directly from the media file headers, such as ratings, playcounts, playlists, etc.)

Tony
tizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2008, 23:09   #13
bioviper

I would actually still like a Networked Media Library, but for a bit different use.

I have a server on my home network with all of my music, I too have mapped up a drive to that network share and added that drive to the watched folders list. That works well for a pc that isnt moved away from the home network, but it doesnt work that well with a laptop.

What would be nice was to have a possibility to add a network share much like how you add a portable device. When I connect to my home network, all the songs on the network share should pops up in a Networked Media Library without having to rescan all the files on the network share. When I then disconnect my laptop from my home network, the files added from that share should be temporarily removed from the Networked Media Library, so that the library on my laptop doesnt contain 100's or 1000's of entries thats not reachable.

Did that explanation make any sense?
bioviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2008, 23:58   #14
marco_silva85

I agree with you guys, bioviper, cool idea

I have a network drive with media and I don't like when it is disconnected or I am in my laptop elsewhere and media from nw drive is still displayed in media library... or when I wan't to see if media in library is up-to-date or still has files that I have already deleted from my local hard drive and I select "Remove missing files" and it removes all my network files if the network drive is disconnected :S
marco_silva85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2008, 18:20   #15
Rawbun

I agree with many of the people looking for a way to share the media database files. I also have mapped a drive and am maintaining seperate databases on each machine.

I have heard that it would not be trivial due to potential multi user issues, but I do all modifications to my database and can control the issue of simultaneous modifications to the library. Rather than try to solve this non trivial issue, why not let the winamp.ini file allow you to point to a network location for the main.dat and main.idx files. Possibly adding a flag somewhere to lock all but the server PC from modifying them.

I would also like to see a way to have multiple such libraries, so I can have 1 for my files local file such as on a laptop, and one for the much larger library on my home server. Removing the laptop from the home environment woul then only require you change the library name, and then acces a local main.dat and .idx file with all the available local files.

This scheme could also be useful for removable USB drives which could contain their own .dat and .idx files that would be appropriate for the files contained on it.

Open to any feedback on this concept...

Thanks everyone for pushing for this!
Rawbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2008, 01:10   #16
BAHitman

I don't disagree. I am really looking for a way to centrally manage my database. so I can track things like playcount and ratings either by user or by system-- so If I run across a CD that nobody listens to, I can remove it from the server. currently, that practically can't be done... I would also like to see a sync feature for my systems--so I can sync my favs on my notebook (as if it were a USB storage device) would be helpful... and alot cleaner...
BAHitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2008, 02:10   #17
jmcquigg

multiple rooms need

The networked library is indeed important to me, as I use winamp in 2 different rooms on 2 different machines and would like the exact same library.

I can do this now by running the executable off of a networked drive from both locations. It works, but I'd prefer not to do this, as it is a bit slower.

The other downside is that frequently when I close winamp on my dual monitor desktop, I can't see it on my other machine as its off the screen. Plus, if I screw up and have 2 copies open at once the last one to close will overwrite the ML.

Jeff
jmcquigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2009, 07:42   #18
thebaronrides

Is there any news on how to do this yet? Would really love to have a separate network library.
thebaronrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2009, 23:05   #19
evman

I too would like to see an ability to sync the database across several machines so playcounts and other media library features were up to date.
evman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2009, 19:40   #20
pred2k

Yeah, absolutely NEEDED feature!
pred2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2009, 21:04   #21
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
winamp remote? [orb]

regardless, here's where winamp basically fails at this:

network drive, or even flash drive or usb drive, if thats where you store your music, sometimes it won't be available. thats just the way it is.

winamp should first detect that the ML location is actually available, and if not, a dialog should be presented warning that if the scan continues, the ML will be emptied, and giving the user the option to get the ML reconnected or quit.

thats fairly simple, but for some reason years pass and its not included.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist