Old 30th April 2001, 16:58   #1
ritbitsly

I have Winamp V 2.74 and when i start my computer everything is fine and winamp loads up and begins playing.
After a while though winamp stops and the songs will no longer play. After which time I exit winamp and try and restart winamp. I can see that its trying to initialize the song because the eq moves for a sec and then stops. Even if I try to start a song in the middle it still does not work. I eventually have to reboot my computer for it to play a couple of songs before it stops working again.

I hope I have explained this clearly enough because i'm tired of rebooting the computer. I guess I can always reinstall but was attempting to find the problem first.
Thanks
ritbitsly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2001, 19:52   #2
Sawg

Re-install winamp
run defrag/scandisk
Old 29th April 2002, 21:56   #3
ew1

i have the same problem, and the fix suggested doesn't work

In the middle of tracks, winamp 2.8 and 3 stop playing music. When this happens, the program does not respond any longer, and no more sound comes out of my system from any program, including winamp. The rest of my machine works fine. When I reboot, the same thing happens. I've defraged and scandisked and all that. I've also installed winamp 2.8 three separate times and tried 3 once, and the problem keeps reappearing. Nothing seems to help. The tracks I'm trying to play are fine and are not corrupted; I've played them on other (networked) machines using winamp 2.8. The other machines were running win98, and I'm running win2k. Please help me to avoid having to resort to Bill's media player or that realplayer crap. loyally, ew1
ew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2002, 22:03   #4
ritbitsly

EW1 the problem sounds similar to what was happening to me. And i think it had to do with my system resources. Every now and again I will recieve and E-mail and it will cut off winamp. Sometimes If I close all my programs including winamp and then open winamp it will soemtimes start up again. Although sometimes this doesen't work in which case I have to re-boot. But as far as I could tell it seems to be a memmory problem becuase not only does Winamp not work but neither does RealPlayer or even Windows Media.

I hope this helps a little.
ritbitsly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2002, 22:18   #5
ew1

I appreciate your help, ritbitsly. Yours are good suggestions, but they're not helping, unfortunately. even if winamp is the only application running (other than those running in the background, where there are only four or so, and they aren't so big), it still doesn't work for long, and I can't get it going again once it's decided to stop playing. it's very odd. furthermore, i just got a brand new computer which I've yet to load up with software and which doesn't generally have any more applications running than i used to run on a three year old machine running win98. i don't want to throw this new one out of my window, but...
Old 29th April 2002, 23:17   #6
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Sounds to me like a soundcard related problem.
Do you have a proper soundcard or is it just an onboard chip?
Have you checked for any new drivers from the manufacturer's website?

Also, what version of DirectX is installed?
start -> run -> dxdiag
http://www.microsoft.com/directx/hom...ds/default.asp

Have you tried switching between WaveOut & DirectSound output?
(Winamp Prefs -> Plugins -> Output)
Does the problem occur with both?

You could also try installing Peter's official wa2update patch:
(Includes very latest out_wave & out_ds plugins, and latest in_midi.dll, in_mod.dll & in_wave.dll, etc.)

Does the problem occur with all file formats?
(WAV, MP3, MID, WMA, MOD, AudioCD, etc)

Finally, have you installed any extra 3rd-party plugins for Winamp?
If so, which ones exactly?
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2002, 21:21   #7
rDn A r0k

I've had the same problem, only it started for me after I installed Maya Unlimited (A $7000 3d program). I have all the latest drivers for everything I could find the latest drivers for, video card, sound card, everything. I also got DirectX 8 (or 8.1, whatever the latest one for Win 2k is). It happens usually when I plugin in headphones to my speakers, but sometimes it just happens randomly. Sometimes it doesn't play as soon as I start it, and sometimes it'll play a few songs and then when I go to the next one the timer goes to 00:01 and then stops. I've tried scandisk, defrag, even Norton AntiVirus and System Tools, nothing works.

I also don't wanna have to use Windows Media Player or RealGarbage (I mean RealOne) or Sonique (is that player still available anymore?).

P.S: I'm not going to stop using Maya, which cost $7,000, just to use Winamp, which is free. Simple economics.
rDn A r0k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2002, 22:43   #8
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Basic Uninstall -> Reinstall procedure:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=50818

If you're using the initial release of 2.80, after uninstalling, reinstall the new 2.80 which was uploaded a couple of days ago.

Apart from that, if the problem persists, confirm you've tried everything previously mentioned above, and provide full relevant sys specs.
Old 5th May 2002, 02:38   #9
rDn A r0k

Ok, it's still not working for me, heres my system specs:

Compaq Presario 5102US
128 MB SDRAM (upgrading soon)
AMD Athlon 1.2 GHz
30 GB Hard drive
Windows 2000 Pro

For those of you just joining us, I have Winamp 2.80 and sometimes it locks up. I'm not sure if it's a glitch with Winamp, a problem with low system resources, or a problem with Windows. The slider moves to 00:01 and then it just stops and I have to go through the task manager to shut it down. I've tried scandisk and defrag and reinstalling but nothing has worked. I've had the same problem with beta 3.
rDn A r0k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2002, 10:33   #10
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

You missed out 3 very important aspects of your sys specs:
Soundcard, videocard, DirectX version.
Apart from the mention of "Compaq", all your other specs seem fine.

System Control Panel -> Device Manager
Soundcard/device should be listed under "Sound....Controllers"
Video/Graphics device should be listed under "Display Adapter"

If Compaq is anything to go by, I've a sneaky feeling you've just got onboard sound & video chips, and not proper PCI/AGP cards.

Again, check the manufacturers' site(s) for updated drivers/codecs.
And please confirm here when you've done so.

DirectX Diagnostic Tool:
Start -> Run -> dxdiag

Version # is listed at bottom of General tab
Also run the various tests in the other tabs, and check to see if any errors are listed anywhere.

Win2k users are recommended to upgrade to DX v8.1
and should also be using DirectSound Output in Winamp (c/o Prefs -> Output)

Please also confirm that you've upgraded to Winamp 2.80a
(uploaded c.30th Apr 2002)

Also confirm that you've tried the Basic Uninstall -> Reinstall procedure.
(note: this relates to wa2 only, not wa3-beta3)

Finally, do you experience similar problems with other players too?
eg. WMP, Real, QT, etc.
Old 5th May 2002, 13:30   #11
alutep

I am having this same problem too!!!!

I also have Maya Unlimited 4.0 installed too.
And before I upgraded to w2kpro, I use NT, and someday,
winamp crash my Maya, and then they can never, ever run at the same time anymore, no matter what I did.

Then I upgrade the system, thinking that I'll not have any
problem with it, but the funny thing is, even when I'm not
using Maya, winamp just act weird all the time, once it just
oddly stop playing, with no apparent reason at all, then
it seems to dominate my whole sound system, all the other player
fail to play after that, not even quicktime will play movies with sound.

I'm using Aureal Vortex 8830, not that it's great or anything, but it worked just fine, and I don't think the problem has anything to do with the hardware. There's this one time even I forced end it with task manager, somehow it just keep eating my resources, and I closed every app. except the background stuff, I saw winamp's process was still there and used up all the resources. ( I have 518 SDram).

But at work we're still using NT, Maya and winamp never has any clashes though, I work all day with both on it's still running fine,
but we use older version winamp and plus there's 1 gig ram in all
the machine.

Not that I have to use winamp to play music, but it's one of those
program you think eats less resources, and change skinz easily you'd hate to stop using. if nothing fixes the problem, oh well....(don't tell me to uninstall/reinstall...we all did it like the millionth time)
alutep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2002, 15:55   #12
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Why won't people answer my simple questions?

It depends on what uninstall -> reinstall method you did!
Did you follow the exact instructions above? (c/o link)
If you've installed ANY 3rd-party plugins, then these do not get removed. Uninstalling only removes the files installed by default Winamp setup.

It still sounds like a dodgy 3rd-party plugin problem to me.

Apart from that,
Aureal Vortex cards are not properly supported under Win2k/XP
They no longer make any new drivers.
The hardware may be fine, but that means nothing if the drivers are borked.

Again, I can't help without FULL system specs.
PC Manufacturer; CPU and Motherboard/chipset; video/graphics card details, plus DirectX version are all also required (Windows OS, RAM and soundcard are only half the story)... especially where Aureal Vortex are concerned.

Re: the volume problem
Check out these threads:

RE: Winamp keeps turning my volume up/down
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=32675
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=73354

Please also confirm you're not using the initial release of Winamp 2.80 (which you will be if you downloaded it between 24th April and 13th May). The new fully fixed version is now up on www.winamp.com/download (uploaded c.14th May 2002)

Also, please supply a url for this Maya thing. What is it exactly?
Old 6th May 2002, 13:06   #13
alutep

I don't have any plugin install, I don't like plugins in general.

I've of course follow all the instruction for uninstallation, and download the lastest version of winamp and did the upgrade and like, everything.

Now I figure out it's my Internet Explorer 6 that has problem with winamp, just a moment ago winamp was playing fine until, I start
the IE6, this doesn't happen if I have IE6 on and open winamp, it happens when I load IE6 after winamp or I load up more then like 3 IE windows. I know it because right at the moment of IE6 load up, all my music stop.
Now when I check the task manager, after I closed winamp, both winamp.exe and winampa.exe is still using my resources. Which, is funny, since I disable the winamp agent, so the agent shouldn't run (supposedly).
It was not that much an annoying problem, but it's starting to becoming one, since I have to restart my computer for its sound system to work.
alutep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2002, 14:24   #14
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Hmmm... the 2.80 problem with the agent is supposed to be fixed in 2.80a.
End process in Task Manager and then move/rename winampa.exe from winamp dir. (first make sure all 3 options are unchecked in Prefs -> Agent, and then make sure winamp is fully closed).

Also, again, have you tried switching to DirectSound Output?

btw, still no full sys specs means I can't help any further.
Maybe someone else can help (a psychic maybe)? I'm outta here.
Old 6th May 2002, 15:23   #15
ew1

followup

DJEgg: I followed your instructions of 04-29-2002 06:18 PM exactly, and it's working flawlessly ever since. I got Direct X 8.1, installed "Peter's official wa2update patch," ran defrag and scandisk, and messed with Winamp Prefs -> Plugins -> Output. I don't think I installed the post-April 30 winamp, fyi. I don't know, frankly, what made the difference in the end, but I've got no complaints. Also fyi, I'm running a dell optiplex gx240 with a pentium 4 running win2k and a Soundmax Integrated Digital Audio card. Oh, and I've not installed any plugins at all. Thanks for all your help.
Old 6th May 2002, 22:41   #16
rynoski

Send a message via AIM to rynoski Send a message via Yahoo to rynoski
light on the subject

First of all - I think we need to get to the root of the problem. I too have this mysterious stopping problem. I run Win2k with some turtle beach POS soundcard, .5GB ram, and a P4 1.2Ghz.

I read these posts and I hate to tell you this but 2.8 has nothng to do with the problem. Im running winamp 2.23 (cause i like the interface better) with the old nitrane decoder. (so i can record)....

I have narrowed the problem to two reasons. One - sound card compatibility & Two - Win2k itself having software conflicts.

Why you ask? Ill tell you.
Because I run Win2k at home too. I dont have any problems whatsoever. (cause I built MY machine...) Sound blaster in my machine 784MB ram, and a weak P3 processor.

My winamp at home NEVER quits. At work it always mysteriously stops. I have tried upping the priority on it, closing particular programs i run constantly. I read the previous post about e-mails making his winamp stop and I am going to look into that. I run outlook at home all the time and it never stops which makes me thing it might be the sound card, but i run outlook at work all the time too which is another argument that it could be outlook causeing a conflict betwwn winamp and the sound card.

Im going to research further but I have a sneaky feeling Windows 2k is built to house cards it was made to house, like sound blaster, etc.. Good name brand solid performers. Because that is the clear cut difference between my machine at home and my machine at work. One sound card is 50x better than the other. I use the live X gamer at home and here its a POS TB Montego or whatever the hell.

I will check to see nextime my winamp at work stops and give a rundown of programs running at the time of its stoppage.
rynoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2002, 00:40   #17
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Yes, there's definitely a possibility that it's all being caused by a conflict with some other software.... ?!?!

Here's a few recent examples:

Spyware conflict:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=86624
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=86793

MS OfficeXP conflict:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=78567

And yes, using old unsupported hardware with Win2k/XP can also cause problems. If the drivers are borked then there's nothing much we or anyone else can do.
Win2k/XP will install the nearest drivers it can find instead, and more than often these are not fully compatible, or they'll cause the hardware to start doing weird things with certain software under certain conditions.

Lord knows...
Thank God I'm not experiencing any of these problems
Old 7th May 2002, 01:23   #18
rynoski

like i said

like i said - i dont have these problems at home. Cause im the one that puts my machine together...
Old 10th May 2002, 12:59   #19
rynoski

Findings

Heres what happened... Winamp on my machine here at my work seems to only stop mysteriously on 192Kbps bitrate Mp3's. The first occurance and only one oddly enough occured after I had printed a file out. I will post more findings as they happen.
Old 15th May 2002, 00:32   #20
chrisP_999

Well, another one rides the bus.

I also experience the "mysterious sound off problem" ... but it's perfectly possible that's this @&§%! "internet device"

Compaq IPaq Desktop
SoundMax onboard Sound (can't be more specific, driver just says "Sound device" ), latest driver (from Compaq support)
Win2K SP2, post sp2 security rollup

Installed 2.80 -> Problem appeared
searched Forum -> deinstall 2.80 -> install 2.80a w/ patch-> same thing
searched again -> downgraded to 2.79 -> same thing
searched a little more -> upgraded to 2.80a again and DirectX8.1 -> Winamp's still stopping but now every time I kill the process (which happily lives in the Task Manager after exiting ... ) and force a system beep after that (try kill winlogon ), sound is restored. Start winamp again and have another couple of minutes with my favourite songs ...
And yes, I reinstalled "by the book" and no, no plugins etc.

Another thing - Files are stored on a file-server. I suspected the infamous "disconnect idle network shares after 15 min" bu ... ahem feature being responsible and deactivated it. No improvement

I know that an older version of winamp ran flawlessly on that very pc. I did a complete reinstall recently and so I can't tell exactly which version it was (probably last updated half a year ago).

Chris
chrisP_999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2002, 01:48   #21
rynoski

stoppage occurance

another stoppage in play this time again 192bitrate, I was fooling around with e-mail. I thought I saw a while back winamp stop after outlook threw its littler mail icon in my tray like it is supposed to but not positive. Thinking it could be linked to outlook or soundcard is just insufficient....
Old 15th May 2002, 11:21   #22
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Okay, let's try assess all this...

Common denominators between everyone:

1) Win2k, yes?
2) Onboard sound chips or old unsupported soundcards under Win2k, yes?
3) Problem seems to be internet/network related, yes?
ie. the problems arise either when you go online, open too many IE Windows, or try to listen to some streamed music over the net or LAN, yes?

Right, let's see...
Could be a modem/network card vs soundcard type of resource conflict?

Goto: System CP -> Device Manager
Hi-lite "Computer" (entry at the top of list) -> click "properties"
Make sure Interrupt Request (IRQ) is checkmarked.
What IRQ setting do you have for modem/network card, soundcard, videocard?
Apart from IRQ Steering, is anything sharing the same IRQ # ?

Some of these threads might help:

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=81867 (IRQ conflicts)
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=52709 (Win2k ACPI irq sharing)
http://www.friedbagels.com/tecaudprobdu.html (vgakills!)
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=37143 (DS tweaks/Network card)

Problems with soundcards that do not support WDM drivers

Aureal/Vortex & Diamond Monster MX300 soundcards with VIA mobo chipset (Win2K/XP)
http://www.vortexofsound.com/techhelp/th-v2a80.htm

Also, try the suggestions here to disable certain Internet-related settings in Winamp Prefs:

RE: My dial-up / browser automatically opens when I run Winamp:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=31346
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=31673
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=31213
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=25325
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=25989

Good luck!

Any further help required from me will need you to:
1) Confirm you've tried everything mentioned in this thread
(listing item by item, regardless of how long your post ends up being)
2) FULL system specs, all together in the same post (PC Make/Model, CPU, RAM, mobo/chipset, soundcard, videocard, modem/netcard, Windows OS, DirectX, etc)
3) Answer all my other questions (re: IRQ settings, etc)
4) Confirm you've run Adaware and removed all spyware from your pc
5) Confirm you've installed wa2update patch and switched to DirectSound Output.

btw, I assume you've all seen this?

Freeze-ups/crashes with 2.80
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=86931

This is a sticky thread at the top of the WA2 Bugs Forum . . .
Old 15th May 2002, 16:02   #23
rynoski

no conflicts but still stopping

Well im fairly screwed at work, cant change any IRQ's locked out and all but there are no conflicts anyways... What gets me is none of this crap happens to me at home. I know exactly what sound card I have exactly what NIC I have and all the latest service packs for win 2k. All the latest drivers for everything. I again use that old version of winamp tweaked and never had any probs.

At work i have no clue what soundcard is in other than its a turtle beach piece of shit! And the LAN is that gay built in crap Dell spits out. So there you have it. I bet 20 to 1 if i put my own soundcard in it would work wonderfully.
Old 21st May 2002, 19:38   #24
rynoski

stopping some more

ok here are the constants: stops on 192kbps bitrate mp3s

the variables, happens during anytime randomly it seems. Not always on a specific application.

I think it is merely unstable audio drivers with my particular machine. Its a dell with onboard audio and a turtle beach sound card. (should rename those boys to TURD beach....)
Old 22nd May 2002, 21:46   #25
kinghornbeach

Yet another user with this problem.

Again, it is only happening with 2.80 and beta 3.

I have a Compaq Deskpro PIII 800, running w2k pro. 128mb RAM 10Gb HD and a Soundmax sound card.

I have also tried all of the fixes with no luck.

I have noticed that it also occasionally happens with Media Player (yes, I have been lowered to using this as a replacement) so i don't think it is a fault with winamp, more the sound drivers.

Just for my own interest, is anyone else with the system described above having problems so i can try and narrow down the cause.

Cheers

Drew
kinghornbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2002, 22:17   #26
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

As far as I know, SoundMax don't make soundcards, it's just an onboard chip.
Check Compaq's website for an updated driver/codec.
Old 23rd May 2002, 20:29   #27
Tungsram

I had the same problems... however, changing the output from crossfade to wave seems to have fixed everything as I've not had any more problems. Funny thing, now it seems that WinMedPlayer is randomly cutting out- but who cares, my Winamp is rolling right along now.
Tungsram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2002, 20:49   #28
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

MediaPlayer uses DirectSound Output by default, so if you were also having problems with Winamp's DS Output then this suggests there's a problem with your DirectX installation.

DirectX Diagnostic Tool:
Start -> Run -> dxdiag
Old 23rd May 2002, 22:40   #29
rynoski

hmmm

funny thats the one thing i hadnt messed with yet but i have the dx 8.0 sitting on me desktop ready to install...
Old 23rd May 2002, 23:25   #30
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

DX 8.0 is known to be buggy
Make sure it's v8.0a instead, and if it isn't, you can get it here.

Though, as long as you're not using Win95 or WinNT, DX v8.1 is recommended.
Old 24th May 2002, 17:09   #31
Styler_007

Yeah, I all of a sudden was having the same problem:

(shitty work computers! )

Compaq DeskPro EP 810E/P600
128 MB SDRam
Win NT 4.0 SP6a (plus just about every other update)
SoundMAX OnBoard PCI Sound
Intel 82815 Graphics Controller (also OnBoard)

Couldn't find the Dx info, regardless... I simply re-installed 2.80a over whatever was there (never been one to uninstall first! ) and then installed the 4P Plug-In Pack (http://www.blorp.com/~thor/).

Everything's working peechy keen now!

Scuba
Styler_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2002, 18:49   #32
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

For those wondering...
4P Plugin Pack contains ALL of Peter's plugins.
wa2update just includes all the latest versions of the default Winamp plugins plus a couple of other extras, whereas 4P contains every WA2 plugin Peter's ever made... eg. all of wa2update plus gen_alpha, in_spc, in_vqf, in_line, gen_dde, out_enc, vis_fract, etc etc.

Note: these extra plugins do NOT affect Winamp output performance for WAV, MIDI, MP3, MOD, CDA, WMA playback. So, if wa2update patch doesn't fix the problem, then I'd be amazed if 4P does (go on, someone prove me wrong...)

Note2: WinNT does not support DirectX versions any later than v4, though can support DirectMedia v6 with this sp patch.

Note3: Glad to hear your problems are fixed, but WinNT and Soundmax onboard chip combination is a sure-fire recipe for disaster
Old 24th May 2002, 19:01   #33
Styler_007

Quote:
Note3: Glad to hear your problems are fixed, but WinNT and Soundmax onboard chip combination is a sure-fire recipe for disaster
Too bad they don't let me choose what I want in my PC at work, eh?

Scuba
Styler_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2002, 19:49   #34
El_Padrino

Better call the exorcist
El_Padrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2002, 19:10   #35
rynoski

damn these work boxes!!

I tell you i dont have this kind of nucance at home! Winamp still crashing at whenever it pleases intervals sometimes wont be for a day or 2 sometimes 5 times in an hour... each time having to reboot to get sound back. I think im just gonna go get a new sound card, something win2k supports liek a SB - take this turtle beach POS out and move on. Ive racked me noggin trying to find anything else that would do the trick. DX8.1 is in, supposed latest drivers for this POS sound card... man its weird!
Old 14th June 2002, 20:10   #36
Mortal Merlin

Hello all,

Some people in our office have recently been upgraded to Dell GX240 2 GHz PC's running Win 2k and using the on board audio chip. First thing we all did was install Winamp (essential office software), all the PC's had the problem discussed above. Winamp would run for a few songs then hang, having to reboot to solve the recover audio. Music Match jukebox had the same problem and Unreal tournament (all the essential software you need at work ). We first tried to the audio drivers to the vendor specific drivers that came win the Win installation (didn't work ). Then we read the posts above and installed directX 8.1 and the Winamp patch mentioned above (still didn't work ). One guy in the office tried version 3 of Winamp, that played a few more songs and crashed but didn't require rebooting (although required DX8.1 before it would work at all). I also tried increasing the buffer length of the DirectSound to 20s, this was more stable but still crashed. Eventually the guy with version 3 installed tried to update the Win 2k audio drivers using Internet Exploder -> Tools -> Windows Update, selecting the new multimedia audio driver, deselecting everything else and installing. Winamp, Music Match and (most inportantly) Unreal all now work OK. Hope this helps someone, sorry for the long winded explaination.
Mortal Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2002, 20:28   #37
rynoski

worth a try

Well its worth a shot but I looked and nothing said anything about a new multimedia audio driver but this machine is not using its on board audio... and btw Essential office software - i love it. Its true!!

lol - Ill find out soon enough how the other updates work, maybe it has some other fixes unknown to the winamp world that help it out...
Old 15th June 2002, 17:07   #38
weasel47_3

Send a message via ICQ to weasel47_3 Send a message via AIM to weasel47_3 Send a message via Yahoo to weasel47_3
Did that, been there, done that

I did I Complete uninstall reinstall
Still having hang up problems.
I saw on here that they see a little bit of visulization if they try to scroll, but nothing comes out of the speaker. Same here.
Keep cracking at it Egg. I'm sure all this documentation is bound to turn up something.

Here's my specs according to the DxDiag tool

Language: English
Processor: Intel Pentium III, ~700Mhz
Memory: 254MB RAM
Page File: 298MB used, 316MB avalible
DirectX Version: DirectX 8.1 (4.08.01.0881)

Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Live! 5.1
Video Card: 3DFx VooDoo 4 4500 32MB
weasel47_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2002, 17:53   #39
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

drivers drivers drivers!

3dfx were bought out by nVidia
http://www.3dfx.com/
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...oodoo4+drivers
http://www.voodoofiles.com/3dfxhelp.asp
http://www.3dfxfiles.com/

SBLive Win2k drivers are known to be buggy
www.soundblaster.com/drivers/
http://www.petitiononline.com/creative/petition.html

Naturally, you've triple-checked for gen_nomad.dll?

Also looks like you need to increase the size of your page file.
256mb physical ram all used up (btw, why does it say 254mb?)
298mb of 316mb virtual memory used up
Old 15th June 2002, 19:10   #40
weasel47_3

Send a message via ICQ to weasel47_3 Send a message via AIM to weasel47_3 Send a message via Yahoo to weasel47_3
Drivers are fine.

Hi Egg.
Not sure on the pagefile DX issue. I think it auto configures itself, not too learned up on DX pagefile issues.

I think the few MB off from 256 is the MB used by the DxDiag tool itself. Most memory monitoring apps that I know of fall a few MB short because they do not count thier own prgm.

I have no display issues, and I do have the latest 3DFx, Nvida drivers for my VooDoo card.

I did, however have an issue with the European update drivers for my SBLive! and I think it might have done the trick.

While SBLive! was updating my windows drivers I got a prompt stating that a file they were trying to replace was OLDER than the one on my system. This could cause a whole junk load of problems, especially with version conflicts and shared resources AKA my IRQ not less than or equal issue.

The file was [root]\WINNT\System32\devcon32.dll

Not sure what the function of this DLL is, need to do some homework, but for an update that's replacing a system file with an OUT OF DATE file seems like a DOWNdate to me.

BTW I chose NO to replace that file and kept my newer and updated file.

So I'll give some heck to creative about that flaw. I would also like to know, since this issue seems to center around Win2K/NT, if anyone else has had issues with the creative update?

So far so good, still need time since the error was quite spuratic.

Maybe this file was the problem with all the creative drivers.

I'm going to do some homework now on that file, it's functionability and such. If you want to know my findings give me a private e-mail @

My Email

Thx EGG keep hatching! You're doing a great job.
weasel47_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support