Old 3rd March 2008, 18:44   #1
eheiney
und keine Eier!

Send a message via AIM to eheiney
Nine Inch Nails - Ghosts I - IV

Nine Inch Nails presents Ghosts I - IV, a brand new 36 track instrumental collection available right now. Almost two hours of new music composed and recorded over an intense ten week period last fall, Ghosts I - IV sprawls Nine Inch Nails across a variety of new terrain.

Trent Reznor explains, "I've been considering and wanting to make this kind of record for years, but by its very nature it wouldn't have made sense until this point. This collection of music is the result of working from a very visual perspective - dressing imagined locations and scenarios with sound and texture; a soundtrack for daydreams. I'm very pleased with the result and the ability to present it directly to you without interference. I hope you enjoy the first four volumes of Ghosts."

Ghosts I-IV is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial Share Alike license.

"This music arrived unexpectedly as the result of an experiment. The rules were as follows: 10 weeks, no clear agenda, no overthinking, everything driven by impulse. Whatever happens during that time gets released as... something.

The team: Atticus Ross, Alan Moulder and myself with some help from Alessandro Cortini, Adrian Belew and Brian Viglione. Rob Sheridan collaborated with Artist in Residence (A+R) to create the accompanying visual and physical aesthetic.

We began improvising and let the music decide the direction. Eyes were closed, hands played instruments and it began. Within a matter of days it became clear we were on to something, and a lot of material began appearing. What we thought could be a five song EP became much more. I invited some friends over to join in and we all enjoyed the process of collaborating on this.

The end result is a wildly varied body of music that we're able to present to the world in ways the confines of a major record label would never have allowed - from a 100% DRM-free, high-quality download, to the most luxurious physical package we've ever created.

More volumes of Ghosts are likely to appear in the future."

- Trent Reznor, March 2, 2008

--

Fucking cool. I bought the FLAC download last night for $5 but woke this morning to a corrupt zip file. I logged onto nin.com to find this: "The response to this album has been overwhelming, causing our website to slow to a crawl. We THOUGHT we were ready, but... We've been adding more servers to accommodate the unexpected demand and we expect to be running smoothly in the next few hours. In the meantime, if you've had any problems with downloads from the Ghosts site, don't worry - you'll be able to use your download link again when the site is more stable. Thanks everyone for making this such an immediate success."

Because of the license it is perfectly legal to distribute and even download via torrents, which I did regardless of my purchase. Ghosts I was officially uploaded to The Pirate Bay last night stating that "Now that we\\\'re no longer constrained by a record label, we\\\'ve decided to personally upload Ghosts I, the first of the four volumes, to various torrent sites, because we believe BitTorrent is a revolutionary digital distribution method, and we believe in finding ways to utilize new technologies instead of fighting them."

I'm only about halfway through Ghosts I but it kicks some major ass. It's certainly not what I expected, but it's exactly what I was hoping for.

Spiral out, my friend. You will find your way back to yourself, we all will.
I'll be waiting, and shall see you on the other side...
eheiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2008, 21:22   #2
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Quote:
Originally posted by someone else in another forum
Good on Trent. Just don't ask me to listen to the thing.
currently listening to: a new ep from 8bitpeoples, who've been doing the whole free download/cc license thing for a while now
gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2008, 04:36   #3
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

That sounds awesome - I'll have to check it out.

I only have three NIN albums at the moment - Pretty Hate Machine, Downward Spiral and With Teeth. Other than the one you describe, any others you'd recommend to me, D-man?

I'm a psychosomatic sister running around without a leash.
ScorLibran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2008, 05:42   #4
eheiney
und keine Eier!

Quote:
Originally posted by ScorLibran
I only have three NIN albums at the moment - Pretty Hate Machine, Downward Spiral and With Teeth. Other than the one you describe, any others you'd recommend to me, D-man?
Absolutely.

For starters, feel free to drop With Teeth at any time, and don't even bother with Year Zero. Some could argue that it sounds very similar to this new Ghosts album but I feel they're very different.

There have only been seven studio releases (including Ghosts), the rest being remixes, live albums and singles. But the one album you absolutely must get is The Fragile. It's by far my favorite album. I like to say that while a lot of NIN could be said to be simply generated, The Fragile feels truly composed. It's eloquent and inspirational. Another album from that era (my favorite) I would recommend is And All That Could Have Been (Still). It contains some older songs that were "deconstructed" along with new material not found on any other album to date.

The Broken EP is a definite must for a complete collection, but it is by far the "hardest" album and certainly vulgar. There is an accompanying 20 minute video, really a snuff film. It's cool to watch, but you won't want to watch it ever again. I'd post a link to the YouTube video but I believe it would be against forum rules. It's easy to search for though, check that out if get a chance.

Aside from that, some of the remix albums feel completely different and could even be considered albums in their own right. Further Down The Spiral (Downward Spiral era) is one of these, Things Falling Apart (The Fragile era) is another good one, and Fixed (Broken's counterpart) is equally good but wholly different.

Old 4th March 2008, 06:08   #5
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

Cool, thanks man. I think I'll start with The Fragile and go from there.

Old 4th March 2008, 07:13   #6
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to ryan
Further Down the Spiral is also good (for a remix CD)

I love the remix of Eraser (the polite one).
ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2008, 11:26   #7
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Did someone mention The Fragile?
Old 4th March 2008, 12:19   #8
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

Wow. Like it or not, that guy's 24 years old but writes like someone ten years his junior. Maybe he's new at it.

Old 4th March 2008, 12:33   #9
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Wow, that's a really lame comeback (considering he called NIN music for 15 year olds).

Wanna try again?
Old 4th March 2008, 12:55   #10
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
I think that this forum has the maturity of 13 year olds.

Does that mean that I have more credibility than that writer or does it actually take something more than one unsupported point?

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
k_rock923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2008, 23:13   #11
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

Quote:
Originally posted by gaekwad2
Wow, that's a really lame comeback
Now now, please don't resort to ad hominem attacks. Let's keep it civil.

Forum rules.

Old 4th March 2008, 23:23   #12
zootm
Forum King

Pitchfork are certainly not a source I'd trust for music reviews, although they can be quite amusing.

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2008, 23:26   #13
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

It is, indeed, amusing.

Are all of the reviews similar to the one linked? Or does the writer of that particular review stand apart from others?

Old 4th March 2008, 23:36   #14
zootm
Forum King

Most of the reviews I've seen rate it really quite highly. In my own opinion it's a great album in a lot of places, although it dips in others. When it's good it's very, very good though, so I'd recommend it.

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2008, 23:45   #15
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

Good to know. I was referring to reviews on that pitchfork site specifically, though.

Old 5th March 2008, 01:27   #16
eheiney
und keine Eier!

I love that Pitchfork review, always gives me a good laugh after a bad day.

As silly as it is, there is one comment that I do agree with, to an extent: "Trent Reznor is the worst, most predictable, most uninspired lyricist working today." Though I wouldn't say he's the worst, I'll certainly agree a lot of the lyrics are quite predictable.

But I don't think his strength is in his words anyway, instead I just really enjoy his music. The instrumentals are easily my favorite songs, which is why Ghosts is such a treat to me.

Old 5th March 2008, 01:58   #17
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Quote:
Originally posted by ScorLibran
Now now, please don't resort to ad hominem attacks. Let's keep it civil.

Forum rules.
I'm really sorry if I hurt your reply's feelings.
Old 5th March 2008, 02:34   #18
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

I just sampled some of the tracks on The Fragile, and I like what I've heard so far. I'll pick it up shortly. I appreciate the recommendation, guys.

Quote:
Originally posted by gaekwad2
I'm really sorry
Thank you - no worries.

Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Community Center > Music O'Rama