Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Visualizations > MilkDrop > MilkDrop Presets

Old 30th July 2005, 09:39   #1
Sherwin Maxawow

Send a message via AIM to Sherwin Maxawow Send a message via Yahoo to Sherwin Maxawow Send a message via Skype™ to Sherwin Maxawow
Yep....I'm baaack! But with a legitimate question....and maybe a poem.

Hey all you Milkdrop magic making master minds! There you go for the poem.
I had to take a break from this forum for a while after feeling that I was starting to really annoy people like Phat, and perhaps almost everyone else. Not that I was trying to, however. I just ended up going too far and perhaps I had been starring at one two many presets, which does seem to have an effect on me, for real. Milkdrop is one of those things in my life that for whatever reason I take waaaay too far, making it into something so much bigger than it really is. As if its worthy of starting a new religion over...which might not be a bad idea if you really think about it. Quite frankly MD feeds the insanity in me, and perhaps it feeds that little inner lunatic that lives inside each of us. Remember that life is in fact full of magic.......but only for those who can see it. Which is usually children and maybe some of the people who are institutionalized? OK that is all for my philosophical goo.
My legitimate question and reason for posting, (other than how much I missed you all) is this. I am sure you all have noticed how certain presets will reflect kind of an after image of your desktop wallpaper which happens right after switching from windowed to full screen mode. Let me know if I need to explain it better, but I am sure most of you know what I am talking about.

Anyway overtime I see this strange effect which lasts for just a short moment, I really like it and wish it would last longer. Does anyone know why this happens and would there be any possible way someone could make a preset that somehow took advantage of it, incorporating your desktop background to show up in the preset in a funky way like fading in and out? IS there anyone here who is visionary enough to even contemplate this idea seriously? I bet Geiss would.
If not then I recommend meeting me in Florida in a few weeks when I fly down to pick up my car and I will treat you to a top secret cow field like none other you have ever been to. Dont ask me why, but sometimes cow pastures can be mind opening.
Also....I really would like to see some more effective 3-D presets. Maybe I am wrong but I feel that much more can be developed in the red and blue 3D department. Lately I have really been really wishing that Milkdrop had more effective 3D presets to choose from. Think of how pathetic Milkdrop is compared to Monkey in this aspect. I hope that Milkdrop gets some new 3-D life sometime. 3-D is the next level up u know. Mushrooms are a lot like being stoned in 3-D.

By the way, I would appreciate receiving some positive feedback for a change. That is of course if there is anyone who has any positive feedback to give me. After feeling like I wore out my welcome last time I was here, it would be nice to know it if someone likes what I have to say.
Sherwin Maxawow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2005, 10:49   #2
StudioMusic
Major Dude

I love milkdrop in so many ways I do not even have the words to explain. I just love it. It is so much better than Monkey. SM
StudioMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2005, 14:17   #3
Sherwin Maxawow

Send a message via AIM to Sherwin Maxawow Send a message via Yahoo to Sherwin Maxawow Send a message via Skype™ to Sherwin Maxawow
Oh of course, I could not agree with you more on that StudioMusic. Milkdrop is way cooler than Monkey. Its silly to even compare them really, since they are so different. But I was just mentioning Monkey for its amazing red/blue stereoscopic 3-D which is the one cool thing that makes Monkey worth downloading in my opinion.
If you haven't yet ever picked up a pair of classic red and blue 3D glasses and checked it out for youself then you know not what you are missing! You have never really seen Monkey unless you have seen it in red/blue 3D. You must also play around with all the difernt 3D toggles which allow you to tweak it to the max and really feel like you are flying through your monitor up close!
The 3-d is what Monkey is all about, and the whole point behind why Ryan Geiss wrote it in the beginning. He wanted to create a plugin that could display the most realistic, clearest 3-D animation possible on a computer screen. I would like to see it on a nice LCD projector.

However, even the realistic 3D gets boring pretty fast, and I still love Milkdrop ten times more.
I would just like to see one of you preset author explore the 3D side of Milkdrop, and create some winning 3d presets. It seems that the presets that work the best in 3d seem to be made of mostly simple lines on the black background. But I dont care if they are that simple, as long as they look great when I hit F9. There are still so many different possibilities that I am sure can be done with those simple wave lines. Sometimes simple is good and refreshing...especially when it comes to achieving excellent 3d perception.

Walking right along that--thin--fine--line- in between -GENIUS & iNsAniTy-...like a tightrope!

Last edited by Sherwin Maxawow; 30th July 2005 at 14:38.
Sherwin Maxawow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2005, 00:29   #4
someusername

hey Sherwin, it's been long time...
I know what you're talking about. When you switch MD (and every other direct3d based application) from windowed to fullscreen and vice-versa, it has to reinitialize itself, pretty much reload all textures and recreate its rendering surfaces in memory. (This is the reason why most games don't switch instantly you when Alt-TAB in and out of windows.)
What actually happens with MD is that you instantly get a "bogus frame"; a painting that has been altered since the camvas" had to be recreated in a new format. The video memory that was already there (on the "camvas") is reinterpreted in a different way, since you change resolution and color format, and this results to these artifacts you get. I suppose presets with longer "decay" should make this effect more prominent.
The only way to see more of this is to switch from windowed to fullscreen while watching a preset with its decay parameter set to 1. Haven't tried it but sounds reasonable.

Anyway... I've been writing a "guide" about md math, 'cause I think many people would benefit from it, but it seems to be getting very technical and it's starting to miss the point. I don't know if I'll get down to finishing it... Perhaps I'll post some new preset sooner, we'll see...
someusername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2005, 22:39   #5
Zylot
Major Dude

I'd like that guide, then I can get back in full swing

-------------
What do you wish for?
--Instrumentality
Zylot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2005, 01:04   #6
StudioMusic
Major Dude

Yin, I would like a nice new guide also. From beginner to advanced. Very much appeciated. SM
Old 7th August 2005, 15:52   #7
someusername

It's not quite a "preset authoring" guide, it focuses on the required math mostly. I can't tell for sure whether I'll finish it sometime; I've written quite a lot of things already, but there's still a lot to cover. Anyway... we'll see... I'll keep you posted
someusername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2005, 11:14   #8
Aberration

Getting back to Sherwin's question, here's some 3d remixes that could be expanded further. 3d glasses came from (right eye)2 layers red & (left eye) 3 layers of blue cellophane giftwrap from the local news stand. Also, a hastily cut-out cardboard frame. Not overly fancy, but hey it does a job.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 3dstuff.zip (10.6 KB, 225 views)

Last edited by Aberration; 12th August 2005 at 11:39.
Aberration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2005, 12:40   #9
Rovastar

Send a message via AIM to Rovastar
Quote:
Originally posted by someusername
It's not quite a "preset authoring" guide, it focuses on the required math mostly. I can't tell for sure whether I'll finish it sometime; I've written quite a lot of things already, but there's still a lot to cover. Anyway... we'll see... I'll keep you posted
Feel free to add it to what is already on in the guide on milkdrop.co.uk. I might make more sense to have them all in one place. Also anyone else who want to adds stuff about esp teh shapes and custom waves, etc please do.

"Rules are for the guidance of wisemen and the obedience of fools"

Visuals - Morphyre www.Morphyre.com
Rovastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2005, 19:10   #10
StudioMusic
Major Dude

Aberration, no offense here, but you have and error in wave 3 per frame code in the 3 Eo.s 3d glasses mods you have posted here. It is very strange too, because you do not even have wave 3 on. I would fix them and repost. SM

Last edited by StudioMusic; 12th August 2005 at 19:26.
Old 12th August 2005, 19:44   #11
Phat
Major Dude

Yea, none of Eo.S's code is in there also. There is just the word 'master' put in for the per-frame waveform code. This does nothing.

She was doing 3d by using more then one wave form. One for the red one for the blue. Not by using the built in 3d.

There's none of Eo.S code in those presets.
Phat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2005, 00:05   #12
Eo.S.
Milkdrop Moderator

not to be nitpicky, but there's not actually any of my code in Aberration's 3dstuff.zip. A couple of them have one of my waveforms, but it's turned off...

Eo.S.
Eo.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2005, 10:51   #13
Aberration

Sorry SM. I was away last week. Those errors were prob due to some import truncations. Code fixes are below if you still want them.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 3dstuffixed.zip (6.5 KB, 199 views)
Old 17th August 2005, 16:54   #14
Phat
Major Dude

Once again dude, there is NONE of Eo.S's code in there.

NONE.

Please, make a version withount her name in it.

Because, you're completely missing the point of her preset. We don't like the 3d function in milkdrop. I personally think it's kinda ugly, but still has it's uses. (See below presets) So we circumvented having to use it, by using a waveform for each eye.

Once again, you have completly missed the point of the preset, please take her name out.

I would really hate to be talking about 3d glasses and have someone be like, "yea, I used that one, but it sucked." When it actually does not.

Thanks.

Last edited by Phat; 17th August 2005 at 17:11.
Old 17th August 2005, 17:12   #15
Phat
Major Dude

(This is one of the better applications of the 'built in' 3d I have used. Notice I used it as a filter to warp the preset in weird ways, this works because of the single color that I am using.)
Attached Files
File Type: zip showing_off_uses_of_3d.zip (5.6 KB, 222 views)

Last edited by Phat; 17th August 2005 at 18:17.
Old 17th August 2005, 17:24   #16
Eo.S.
Milkdrop Moderator

ummmm, you really need to rename these as just being by "Aberration" not "Aberration x Eo.S." cause there's none of my code in here.
The original 3d glasses preset had my code for the waveform, anything else was just milkdrop defaults [ a little bit of zoom].

Eo.S.
Eo.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2005, 09:59   #17
Aberration

Done. Please disregard previous zipped files "Aberration x Eo.S. 3d-glasses*" and replace with the following:
Attached Files
File Type: zip 3dtest.zip (6.4 KB, 213 views)
Old 18th August 2005, 20:00   #18
Phat
Major Dude

cool thanks.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Visualizations > MilkDrop > MilkDrop Presets