Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Old 19th April 2008, 20:46   #1
RejZoR

Plugin to resume track playback where it left off

I'm wondering if there is any plugin that would allow me to pause the track, close the WinAMP and next time open it and resume the track from where it left off? I'm listening to lots of trance mix that are usually around 80 minutes long.
Since i often close WinAMP, finding the spot where i ended the listening session is very annoying.

Anyone knows any such plugin or maybe anyone willing to write one?
RejZoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2008, 21:02   #2
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Send a message via AIM to Nunzio390 Send a message via Yahoo to Nunzio390
Quote:
Originally posted by RejZoR
Anyone knows any such plugin ...
Yeah - DrO's Time Restore & Autoplay plugin. What you want is the plugin's Restore playing position option...
This will allow the playing position to be restored between use of Winamp.
So if Winamp was closed and the file was at 4:25, then on loading the playback will be restarted at 4:25.
The plugin has LOTS of others useful features too. It's invaluable - a must have!

Don't email or PM me concerning Winamp. Instead, either start a NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY in the appropriate thread in these forums. This will also benefit others who may have a similar question or problem. But before posting, please first Search the forums and read all FAQs and all Sticky threads.

ORB Remote Broadcast

[ Automated Jukebox | Nunzio's Home | Wacky Videos | Solve the Prunella Puzzle! ]
[ LINE RIDER! | My Resume | Virtual Chess | Composite Sketch | My Niece's Band ]
[ Plugins by Joonas | DrO's Winamp Plugins and Extras | K-Jöfol ]
Nunzio390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2008, 21:12   #3
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Send a message via AIM to Nunzio390 Send a message via Yahoo to Nunzio390
Addendum:

And then, after you are completely satisfied and amazed at everything the plugin can do, you can also submit a favorable review to indicate to DrO that you are appreciative of his efforts (if you'd like to)
Nunzio390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2008, 21:20   #4
RejZoR

Thanks! It's exactly what i wanted
RejZoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2008, 10:09   #5
Moguai77

Great plugin, but...

...think about starting track B while playing track A and then starting track A again and so forth...

...how can I configure the way that track A will be always resumed every time I start it no matter how it was interrupted and no matter how many tracks are played in the meanwhile?

Thx

Last edited by Moguai77; 8th June 2008 at 11:12.
Moguai77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2009, 20:09   #6
sjamie

I too have looked all over the web and have not found a way to make winamp remember where I was inside of any track.

I like alternate between 3 or 4 podcasts and audiobooks so when I switch from the first one to the 2nd one, and vice versa, it picks up where I left off.

Does anyone know how to accomplish this?
sjamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2009, 23:23   #7
osmosis
Major Dude

I've seen a plugin that allows you to bookmark specific times within tracks. That's the closest you're going to find. I don't remember what it's called but it's on Winamp.com so happy hunting.

Request: A little SmartView Query Language love.
osmosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2009, 00:08   #8
sjamie

Thanks. Does anyone know the name of this special "time marking" plugin? It would be soooo helpful!

Is anyone using Winamp to play audiobooks, podcasts, and music? If so, how are you switching between them and keeping your place when you return? Are you just listening to audiobooks/podcasts straight through without ever switching to something else?
Old 6th April 2009, 18:59   #9
osmosis
Major Dude

Did you even TRY searching Winamp.com Plugins for "bookmark" ? F...

It's called Amarok, and it took me 5 seconds to find.

Old 6th April 2009, 19:03   #10
DrO

oh he found it in one of the other similar threads posted in...

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2009, 19:09   #11
sjamie

Yes, I found Amarok. It does what I need but I can't get it to dock to Winamp. It always disappears when I click anywhere in Winamp and it reappears "behind" Winamp when a song is played that has been marked.

Any suggestions?
Old 6th April 2009, 19:14   #12
DrO

you either code a plugin that does it or find someone with the time to update/code a plugin to do it or try to contact the amarok author to get them to fix the issues with the plugin (i've a feeling you're probably using a modern style skin which the plugin was never designed to cope with when it was released in 2000 or so).

-daz
Old 6th April 2009, 19:20   #13
sjamie

Thanks DrO. Are you using Amarok? If so, are you using a Classic skin?
Old 6th April 2009, 19:27   #14
DrO

i used it briefly once when i first started using winamp many moons ago and at that time all we had were classic skins and from what i remember, the Amarok window did dock to the other windows correctly - is why i can only guess that you're using a modern style skin (like bento for example).

-daz
Old 6th April 2009, 19:36   #15
sjamie

Yep, I'm using Bento which looks awesome to me. If you are not using Amarok, do you listen to Podcasts and AudioBooks? If so, how do keep your place in the track?
Old 6th April 2009, 19:58   #16
DrO

i listen to one podcast at a time and if i need to stop part way through then i've got my timerestore plugin to resume the position when i restart winamp. i don't listen to audiobooks where i can see why you'd need what you're looking for but i'm not currently going to offer to code anything towards this (since i've always intended to implement something like it into the timerestore plugin) as i've already far too many other projects and commitments without taking on one more (as i've still to sort out something for osmosis )

-daz
Old 6th April 2009, 20:11   #17
sjamie

I understand. Thanks for the timerestore plugin, it's awesome!

I'm surprised "time marking" is not already built into Winamp. This is probably the only advantage iTunes has with it's built in "Remember Playback Postion" function.
Old 7th April 2009, 07:48   #18
osmosis
Major Dude

Old 5th November 2009, 04:12   #19
mkhumphr

So we still have no solution for this issue? It just kinda a hasle to be listening to a podcast and then stoping halfway to go listen to music, and then to return to find out that I lost my place.
mkhumphr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2009, 12:30   #20
sjamie

Yeah... I'm still waiting for a solution too!
Old 5th November 2009, 13:06   #21
mkhumphr

haha A half a year later I wish there was a way I could help some one on this
mkhumphr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2009, 01:26   #22
sjamie

I guess no one uses winamp to play various podcasts and audiobooks. The goal is to use iTunes for NADA! I guess that is not realistic yet.
Old 27th June 2011, 12:15   #23
sjamie

Has anyone yet found a way to configure winamp to automatically remember the playback position of podcasts and audiobooks?
Old 27th June 2011, 12:30   #24
DrO

from the v5.58 changelog...
Quote:
* Improved: [ml_history] Added option for resume playback position of podcasts
which is a preferences option for something introduced back in 5.57x which was only a few weeks after you're prior post.

-daz
Old 27th June 2011, 13:50   #25
sjamie

Awesome... thanks for your quick response! Where is that option set? I've looked all over the preferences menu but can't seem to find it even though I know it is certainly staring right at me!
Old 27th June 2011, 13:56   #26
DrO

preferences -> media library -> history -> podcasts group at the bottom

-daz
Old 28th June 2011, 06:16   #27
sjamie

EUREKA! You are awesome, my friend. Thank you!!!
Old 28th June 2011, 06:24   #28
sjamie

Is there an easy way to export ALL of my personal Winamp settings for easy importing onto a different computer?
Old 28th June 2011, 10:13   #29
DrO

like the Winamp Backup Tool -> http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=317153 ?

-daz
Old 2nd October 2011, 02:24   #30
roman3

Quote:
* Improved: [ml_history] Added option for resume playback position of podcasts
I couldn't find a way to get this to do anything useful or even noticeable.

Amarok doesn't save anything by itself, so it's not convenient to use.

Time Restore & Autoplay is useful in that it resumes from a previous position, but it still doesn't remember positions in multiple files.

Is there another media player, besides iTunes, that handles this need well?
roman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2011, 05:31   #31
roman3

I think I've found a replacement for the player that, with a plugin, does exactly what I need -- automatically remember positions within multiple files/playlists. It consumes much more RAM than Winamp, so I hope Winamp will be improved in this area so that I could come back to it.
roman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2011, 00:17   #32
sjamie

Winamp DOES automatically remember playback positions in multiple podcasts & audiobooks. However, it will NOT do that for music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
like the Winamp Backup Tool -> http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=317153 ?

-daz
I forgot to say THANKS!!!
Old 9th September 2012, 11:55   #33
Fonce Falooda

Why do I have to trick Winamp into doing what I want?

I stumbled across this thread while trying AGAIN to find a program to replace itunes. There are a couple simple features that I can't live without, and one of them is "Remember Playback Position", on anything I care to enable it on.

Winamp has this feature, but ONLY ON PODCASTS. My question is, why is this feature limited to podcasts, when Audiobooks need it just as much? No one thinks anyone would ever stop an audiobook in the middle? Really? Call me crazy, but I'd say that, on the average, an unabridged book is slightly longer than a podcast. Just a little. So you can see how this feature would be terribly important, but nope! ONLY podcasts.

I think the lack of this feature drove roman3 up there to foobar2000. That's okay with everyone? Well, the good news is that I figured out a work-around:
Just classify anything and everything I want automatically bookmarked a "Podcast".

But does anyone see the irony of forcing me to call everything a podcast, when I'm trying to ESCAPE Apple? Remember what Brad Pitt did at the end of Inglourious Basterds? It's kinda like that. I'm finally free, but there'll always be something there to remind me.
Fonce Falooda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2012, 09:45   #34
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi Fonce Falooda,

Maybe the plug-in linked below would be of some use to you.

http://nunzioweb.com/daz/timerestore.html

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2012, 06:23   #35
Fonce Falooda

Aminifu-

Thank you. I appreciate the reply, and I was excited when I saw that plugin listed earlier in this thread, but when I installed it, I figured out that it would only restore the position you were at when you shut down Winamp.

This means that once I start an audiobook, I can't listen to anything else until I finish it, or it loses my place. Of course, I could manually bookmark it, but I shouldn't have to. And I DON'T have to... with "podcasts".

The feature already exists, all I want is to be able to apply it to other files without having to TRICK Winamp. It just feels wrong. If there's a valid reason why it can't be applied to other genres, I'm all ears, but we both know it's just that no one really thought it through.
Old 12th September 2012, 12:10   #36
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonce Falooda View Post
If there's a valid reason why it can't be applied to other genres, I'm all ears, but we both know it's just that no one really thought it through.
because it hasn't been coded to do it that way. i don't know why the feature for podcasts was left just for them but that's how it was done by the intern at the time. and unless the file is in one of the databases then it won't be able to be restored anyway (so i assume the thinking was if it had been downloaded through Winamp it would be added to the database so could be more assured of being in there.

it could be altered either natively or even via my plug-in but it requires someone trying to find the time and have the inclination to do such things (and with the mood i'm in today i won't be considering it).

-daz
Old 13th September 2012, 06:32   #37
Fonce Falooda

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
because it hasn't been coded to do it that way.
I think we're saying the same thing, different ways. Yes, it's definitely the way it is because an intern didn't think it through. And while probably accurate, I'm not sure I would consider that a "valid" reason.

Is Winamp currently being developed? They keep releasing new versions, so I assume SOMEONE has the code. Why couldn't it be tweaked to behave properly in the next release candidate? I'd be happy to beta test it. Is there an official "feature request" channel? Do the current coders check this forum? ARE there even current coders, or just people who cash the checks for the Pro version?

And it's always a little upsetting when a third party (especially a grumpy one! ) has to fix some important feature of a major program. It's happened with Firefox several times, and don't even get me started on Flash. Maybe we need to track down that intern.

Seriously, thanks for weighing in! It's nice to know I'm not just typing into the wind.
Old 13th September 2012, 08:29   #38
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
And it's always a little upsetting when a third party (especially a grumpy one! ) has to fix some important feature of a major program.
Hi Fonce Falooda,

Sorry my suggestion does not help you. You're new to the forums and DrO can speak for himself, but he is not a 3rd party and is much more than a moderator.

He has been invaluable for several years helping keep WA afloat and responding to requests for new features and bug fixes. Often (too often) at his own expense. He may be a little grumpy lately, but it is for good reason. Everyone's issue is important to them and many (too many) think the fix is quick and easy. But for code that has been around for over 15 years and has been patched on by several people, a quick and easy fix is often not possible.

As users, the best we can (and should) do is be patient and wait in line for our requests to be dealt with. Try to be content with manual bookmarking for now, at least you have that.

Old 13th September 2012, 09:49   #39
Fonce Falooda

Animifu-

Yeah, I was hoping I wasn't coming across as snippy. It says "moderator" under his name, and I know he wrote a plugin. Beyond that, I'm new here and have no way of knowing how involved he is.

I just checked in here to see if I'd missed something, and to offer the next person with this problem my "just classify everything as a podcast" patch. It does exactly what I want, it just looks bad, and is slightly ironic.

Still, I'm grateful for the attention and meant no disrespect. Thanks, guys.
Old 13th September 2012, 10:47   #40
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Yeah, I was hoping I wasn't coming across as snippy. It says "moderator" under his name, and I know he wrote a plugin. Beyond that, I'm new here and have no way of knowing how involved he is.
Well the off tone of your post was kinda strong. Anyway, beyond mods for the core code, DrO has written or updated several plug-ins. Take a look at them, you may find 1 or more that you can use. You can get to them via the link I posted earlier.

Glad tidings to you and continue to enjoy Winamp.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion