How to Install DotNet 3.5 Framework (Full Package) on Windows 8?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • angela_s
    • Jul 2013

How to Install DotNet 3.5 Framework (Full Package) on Windows 8?

Hi,

Is there a way to install Dot Net Framework 3.5 (Full Package) on Windows 8 without the internet connection?

Link to full package here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-in/downl....aspx?id=25150

I used to implement ExecWait with the dotnet framework setup file that works fine with OS prior to Windows 7:

ExecWait "$EXEDIR\dotnetfxfolder\dotnetfx35setup.exe /qb /norestart"

This way it could be installed from this local setup file, that I used to include with the distribution package. As for Windows 7 there was no need to execute this line as it already has DotNet 3.5 installed.

The problem is with Windows 8, it seems to require an internet connection even if we have this local dotnet 3.5 framework setup included in the distributed package.

Is there a workaround for this problem?

Thanks in advance.
  • jpderuiter
    Major Dude
    • Feb 2007

I'm affraid there's no real solution.
    The only (legal) option is to require the user to insert the Windows 8 DVD:

Comment

• kalverson
      • May 2007

There is a way to do it without an internet connection, but you need access to the Windows 8 install DVD to do it. I tried it once and it does work. Because of the need for access to the Windows 8 install DVD, we did not implement the procedure in our installer.

Comment

• Afrow UK
        • Nov 2002

Another option, which is the one I took, was to bundle a 2nd set of .NET binaries targeting .NET 4.5 instead of 3.5 which are extracted if the OS is Windows 8 or above. .NET 4.5 is pre-installed with Windows 8 in the same way 3.5 is with Windows 7.

Stu

Comment

• azureusvuze
          • Mar 2013

dotNetFx is available inside ISO of Win 8 setup.
          Just extract and run cmd (as admin) with parameters:
          DISM /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:NetFx3 /All /LimitAccess /Source:"Win8_sources_path"

Example:
          DISM /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:NetFx3 /All /LimitAccess /Source:"C:\Win8\sources\sxs"

Comment

• jpderuiter
            Major Dude
            • Feb 2007

That is illegal, because nobody is allowed to distribute part of anything that is under copyright of Microsoft without agreement of Microsoft.

Comment

• Afrow UK
              • Nov 2002

You don't distribute any ISO to use the DISM command; it's effectively the same as using "Turn Windows features on or off" dialog. If the image (for .NET 3.5) isn't present on the hard drive then it will be downloaded or you will be asked to insert your install disc. However I have tried using DISM to uninstall .NET 3.5 on Windows 8 and we had reports of it getting stuck on the uninstall.

Stu

Comment

Working...
              X