Old 23rd July 2012, 10:43   #1
zzzmann
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3
Help with Network Buffers URGENT !!

Hi !! I have been having issues with setting my network buffer on my stream.
If i leave it to default settings it takes about 50 secs to connect from my android app, so i have been trying to change the network buffer. If i change the fixedbuffersize=1024 then my app connects to the stream in 2 secs but it keeps skipping an i can hardly hear a word.

Then i changed the fixedbuffersize=2048 and it takes about 15 secs for my app to connect to the stream and it skips quite a lot.

Now here is where i'm facing the issue no matter what value i set above 2048 (even by 1 byte) it seems to take the default buffer size and it takes 50 secs to connect again.

above 2048 no matter what i do it takes 50 secs to start playing the stream (of course if i change the bitrate in my sc_trans.conf file it speeds up)

I know that the bit rate that we set for the stream can fill up the buffer faster but i cannot use a bit rate faster than 48kbps due to certain constraints.

oh also i have purchased the license for mp3 encoding and trying to broadcast a mp3 stream. (not sure if it is relevant but wanted to give all the details)

Here are my sc_serv.cong and sc_trans.conf files

sc_serv_basic.conf
===================================================================
fixedbuffersize=3072
logfile=logs\sc_serv.log
w3clog=logs\sc_w3c.log
banfile=control\sc_serv.ban
ripfile=control\sc_serv.rip
streamid=1
streampath=/test.mp3
maxuser=100
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sc_trans_basic.conf
===================================================================
logfile=logs\sc_trans.log
screenlog=1
calendarrewrite=0
encoder_1=mp3
bitrate_1=49152
unlockkeyname=****** ********
unlockkeycode=*****-*****-*****-*****
outprotocol_1=3
serverip_1=127.0.0.1
serverport_1=8000
streamid_1=1
endpointname_1=/Bob
streamtitle=My Test Server
streamurl=http://shoutcast.com
genre=Misc
playlistfile=playlists\main.lst
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any kind of help\guidance\suggestions are highly appreciated !! thanks in advance !!
zzzmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2012, 13:31   #2
DrO
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 27,873
if sc_trans is connected to sc_serv, then even if the audio passing through can be delayed from actual time to the heard time, it should not be causing a client to take so long to connect (where things are in the stream audio in sc_serv's buffers doesn't have an affect on the time it takes for a client connection to be started as your post seems to be implying).

have you tried against other clients i.e. ruled out it just being specific to the app / device / networking being the cause of the issue? though it almost seems like it's more the app which isn't working correctly compared to the SC tools.


the main delay is coming from sc_trans and there have been requests for allowing control over the sc_trans buffer sizes but nothing has been done to progress that request (and if it even happens cannot be guaranteed).

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2012, 15:50   #3
zzzmann
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3
thanks for the reply DrO.
i had actually suspected the app and network and tried to debug that for a week ....
but then finally narrowed it down to the shoutcast stream.

Now that you point out ... i figured that the delay is in the sc_trans. Because when i click on the play button on my app .. i can immediately see connection accepted on the sc_serv console ... but i take 50 secs to start playing the song.

So is there anything at all i can do to reduce this delay - or is increasing the bir rate my only hope ??

Also was curious as to how making the fixedbuffersize=1024 causing the app to start playing within 5 secs ...though all i could hear was skipping

Last edited by zzzmann; 23rd July 2012 at 16:51. Reason: EDIT
zzzmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2012, 16:02   #4
DrO
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 27,873
changing the bitrate is the only current way (and that obviously isn't a solution) or you'd need to use an alternative source which has a lower buffer induced delay (though SHOUTcast is always going to have a delay of some sort, it's never been a real-time system).

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2012, 16:54   #5
zzzmann
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3
Also was curious as to how making the fixedbuffersize=1024 causing the app to start playing within 5 secs ...though all i could hear was skipping
zzzmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2012, 12:44   #6
DrO
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 27,873
i really don't know why that would have such an effect since as a i said before, it could be an issue with the app itself. without an example of the stream or knowing the app being used (though is unlikely to actually aid in testing as i'm android [and all other mobile OS] free).

dropping the DNAS buffer would at most mean it's holding on to less of what sc_trans has sent, so maybe if there's not much coming from sc_trans to begin with that is causing the app issues and having the lower buffer size means the DNAS is more likely to have skipped that by the time the app connects. but that's just guessing and isn't helpful really.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > SHOUTcast > SHOUTcast Discussions

Tags
buffer, buffer size, configuration, sc_serv

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump