Old 29th May 2010, 12:59   #1
Amandio C

Milkdrop killed the video star (is it possible?)

Milkdrop killed the video star (is it possible?)

An experiment to bring video to Milkdrop. How it works:
1. The frames of a video file (000.jpg, 001.jpg, etc) are previously extracted using a video decompiler and saved in a folder, along with the preset.
2. A script changes the sampler_n values of the preset to sampler_(n+1);
3. The script "presses" the spacebar in Milkdrop window. Only one preset is in the folder, so it is reloaded with the new sampler_(n+1) values.
4. Steps 2,3 are repeated 20 times per second.

I still need a program to write and run the script (Windows Automation) since my knowledge of programming is limited. When I get a good VB script ready I'll post it along with the preset. I am also trying to figure if it's possible to avoid the process of extracting the frames.

Amandio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2010, 19:12   #2
Nitorami
Major Dude

What ? Step 3 repeated 20 times per second ???
Nitorami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2010, 21:55   #3
Amandio C

The frequency you define depends on the framerate of the original video and the speed you want the animation run. In this case the loop is repeated about 15 times per sec.
Old 30th May 2010, 22:03   #4
Nitorami
Major Dude

I don't understand what you want... your muybridge horse already showed that you can run a video without changing the preset 20times a second !?!?
Old 31st May 2010, 03:11   #5
Amandio C

The problem is that a preset has a limit of 16 samplers (Muybridge's horse had 15). It works because it's a very short cycled sequence.
As said before, I am trying to figure if it's possible to have input from a video source in real time, which would be a much better option then extracting frames form a pre-recorded video. Writing scripts in VB is new to me, so any help would be appreciated.
The method of reloading a preset n times per second may sound strange but works well, as long as you don't have in the preset anything that changes when the presets starts, like a counter. In this case you won't notice, in principle, a discontinuity in the reload.
I am convinced that, at least theoretically, using a script to dinamically change the preset, combined with the method above, opens a whole new set of possibilities to Milkdrop, like mouse and keyboard inputs, and with more elaborate scripts, maybe input from other software or the internet. How about having a preset look brighter when it's raining in your city, to lighten you up? Or maybe having a spreadsheet make calculations, and paste them in the shaders in real time? Many options are available to explore, for sure.

Last edited by Amandio C; 31st May 2010 at 04:01.
Old 31st May 2010, 08:39   #6
Nitorami
Major Dude

Aha.... I think that goes vaguely into the direction of AidenRigels work ("LightMaestro"). Maybe you want to contact him for a beta version.
Old 31st May 2010, 10:00   #7
Amandio C

Thank you for the info, I will. To be honest, I'm not willing to deepen much the knowledge of script language.
I really appreciate the help. Cheers.

edit. I did a search and got to his site, I now remember his post here. So the credit for inputing video to MD go to him, too bad it's not freely available.

Last edited by Amandio C; 31st May 2010 at 10:24.
Old 3rd May 2011, 06:07   #8
LlamaLlamaLamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitorami View Post
Aha.... I think that goes vaguely into the direction of AidenRigels work ("LightMaestro"). Maybe you want to contact him for a beta version.
What ever happend with this project? It seems to have dropped off the face of the earth. Any Google links to the threads on this forum have been deleted, so has his user account. The project looked like it had a lot of potential and I'd say it'd definitely sell copies. It would have been a very unique VJ program....
LlamaLlamaLamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2011, 18:54   #9
Amandio C

It looked to me as a very good idea not so well explored. The samples on his site, in my opinion, didn't provide an idea of the possibilities - distortions and strong color effects on a video already "saturated". It would work better with videos such as a face, a body, an old movie, and applying effects that made sense, so to speak. I'm not a shader expert so I never explored this with the scripted presets.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Visualizations > MilkDrop > MilkDrop Presets