Old 14th September 2004, 01:06   #1
EMReed

SHN file format plug in

Howdy,

I really would like to be able to play shorten (shn) files. I downloaded the shnamp plugin from etree.org but it did not work. Here is what I emailed etree:

I downloaded the shnamp plug in for winamp and double clicked the exe file. It installed itself into the winamp directory but did not put the skin and plugins in the proper win amp skins and plugins folders, instead it made a separate directory: ShnAmp v2.02. with sub directories etree, plugins, skins. In the preferences of winamp I do not see the plugins available and I cannot play a shn file. What should I do. Do you have any instructions available? I wanted to uninstall what I have done so far and start over but I could not find the plug in in the add and remove program of the control panel.

Thanks for this great program, as soon as I get the hang of it I plan to purchase the pro copy to say THANKS.

Eric
EMReed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2004, 01:42   #2
JonnyMac

Hopefully you will get a reply from etree. However just incase, try moving the following files to their respective folder/directories

The SHN docoder plug-in
in_shn.dll to C:/Program Files/Winamp/Plugins

The additional plug-in (if you selected it during install)
out_gapless.dll to C:/Program Files/Winamp/Plugins

The SHN skin
Shnamp.wsz to C:/Program Files/Winamp/Skins

Actual path will vary depending on where Winamp was installed. If you don't see the file extensions (dll, wsz)...
Configuring Windows To Show Extensions

Note: The only difference between Winamp Full and Winamp Pro is that WA Pro has high speed CD burning and MP3 CD ripping. WA Pro is not needed for SHN playback.

Third party plug-in do not receive tech support in Winamp forums. So please contact etree for additional support/help with the SHN plug-in. Of which you already have done.
JonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2004, 02:40   #3
EMReed

Thank you very much for your reply. This is very helpful and I will do as you suggested. Unfortuenalty, I have not heard back from etree yet. I will let you know how this fix goes.

Eric
Old 14th September 2004, 02:47   #4
EMReed

Jonyy Mac,

Hep, that worked! Your great! Hey, I posted a message to the community board about playing audio on a pocket pc and asking about prefereable file formats like mp3's (as with the pro eddtion). Want to try your had at that question too?
Old 14th September 2004, 02:50   #5
EMReed

JonnyMac,

Now that I can play the shn files, can I use winamp to convert the file to a more hard disk friendly file format(something not so huge)? Can winamp pro do this?

Eric
Old 14th September 2004, 03:32   #6
JonnyMac

Winamp can do high speed CD burning or CD ripping to MP3. Other than that WA Pro does not have any additional converting abilities.

I am not very familiar with SHN format and as it's comparison to other formats.

Maybe converting to MP3 using the MP3 output plug-in mentioned in this thread...
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....hreadid=182242
Although it talks about converting WAV to MP3 is should basically apply to your question.

Another possibility would be dBPowerAmp, the "stand alone" program mentioned in the above thread. There is a shorten codec you can download from the dBpowerAmp site.
JonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support