Old 8th January 2008, 01:52   #1
CrAzYJoEe

Pay Royalties?

I was wondering if you have to pay royalties for a shoutcast radio station? I have been broadcasting without paying for a long time soo.... If you have to pay royalties, how do you do it?
CrAzYJoEe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2008, 02:02   #2
dotme

Most countries have laws that require royalty payments for broadcasting work protected by copyright.

If you wrote and performed the work, it's yours and you don't have to pay royalties.

If you have written permission from the people who wrote and performed the works you broadcast, you don't have to pay royalties.

Just about everything else (music on CDs, for example) is protected by copyright and can't be broadcast without permission or payment. In the USA, you can obtain a statutory license to perform any musical work - that license is administered by SoundExchange. You also owe royalties to the composers/songwriters/publishers, which are administered by ASCAP, BMI and, in some cases, SESAC.

The penalties for webcasting copyright-protected works vary, but are usually pretty severe if a copyright holder wants to persue you.

It's complicated, but there are places out there that you join as a broadcaster and they will cover royalties and reporting as part of the service. Live365, SWCast and LoudCity all provide coverage and plans for small webcasters. If you're US-based, get in touch with them if you want to be legal. It's cheaper than licensing direct, and they offer hassle-free ways for small webcasters to pay royalties.
dotme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2008, 02:34   #3
Greg_E
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by dotme
If you have written permission from the people who wrote and performed the works you broadcast, you don't have to pay royalties.

You also need permission from the record company that made the recording.
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2008, 05:28   #4
dotme

Quote:
Originally posted by Greg_E
You also need permission from the record company that made the recording.
Yes - in fact, it would have been more accurate to say that you would need written releases from all copyright holders associated with a musical work.
Old 8th January 2008, 06:27   #5
CrAzYJoEe

Im not sure what to do. I asked a few people who own stations and they said you only have to pay if you are making money from your station, which Im not. Also Im below the age of 18 (Im 14). What do I do? Do I need to pay it?
I dont understand how to pay it though. I have to contact every artist I play D= ?
CrAzYJoEe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2008, 15:30   #6
Greg_E
Major Dude

You also need to submit a "notice to elect to pay royalties" form (or something like that) to the copyright board and pay a fee for them to look at the form. This is a "one" time fee (that we've now paid twice). The form should be on the SoundExchange website.

Your mileage may vary!
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2008, 23:50   #7
fc*uk

Depending upon the genre, you might have great luck getting in touch with the artists.

For example, much of hard dance is run by DJ's that own their own label. Most of these people want to be heard --- it keeps their shows booked and gets more jacked in. One email to them, with their approval, gets you both the artist and the label.

Now, the RIAA went and messed it all up when they declared that a DJ remixing a work still needs to be paid to the original artist.

fc*uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2008, 03:14   #8
fc*uk

Quote:
Originally posted by CrAzYJoEe
Are you sure loudcity.net takes care of everything? Im thinking about buying from them, but I want it to be 100% legal. Also, how is their service? I dont want any buffering problems. I want it to load almost immediately.
Loudcity offers rock solid services, as long as you agree to and follow their terms. Their hosting is through fast-serv.net. which is good.

They cover major artists. So, I guess stick mainstream and you will be good to go.
fc*uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2008, 13:58   #9
dotme

All the services I mentioned cover you under the statutory license, which means ALL musical works available for purchsae in the USA are covered. What's not covered are bootlegs and other illegally-recorded music. But indies, and all labels (major and minor) are covered - that's what the statutory license is all about.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Discussions