Old 27th October 2012, 19:29   #1
pluni32

Search by composer

Hello,
I think it would be important to give the possibility to search by composer.
For example, I want to listen to Mozart or Bach! such a button would make me good service because all my music is not always classified as current buttons and album artists do not give a satisfactory solution, when a Folder is long and complicated.
Thank you in advance
pluni32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2012, 02:40   #2
ryerman
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluni32 View Post
Hello,
I think it would be important to give the possibility to search by composer.
Winamp supports a tag field for COMPOSER. If you tag your files using that field then you can type ?composer = "some composer name" in the search bar or use Composer as a column heading or create a Smart View that creates a pane, listing all composers. It is only another tag field, the same as artist, album, track, year etc., and can be searched like all supported fields.

Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Winamp 5.666, Bento Skin
ryerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2012, 17:51   #3
gbakytn

How can I search songs by genre, year, etc.? I tried to type "?composer = ...", "?year = ..." in the search bar, but it didn't work.
+ (In Win7) For example, when you tag a file, in artist field you type something like "artist1 / artist2". After that in the folder where the file is located in the artist field you see "artist1; artist2". It lets you filter songs in the folder by artist1 and artist2 separately, and in both cases you'll see the same song. BUT with the genre field (I don't know if it works for other fields) it doesn't work (in the filter list there will be not "genre1" and "genre2" separately, but "genre1 / genre 2"). Can it be fixed?
gbakytn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2012, 18:50   #4
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
winamp does NOT recognize "separator characters" if thats what you mean. the whole string is the string. so:

TPE1 = Billy Joel; Ray Charles

is seen by winamp as one artist, separate and distinct from either Billy Joel or Ray Charles.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2012, 09:19   #5
gbakytn

It seems you didn't understand. I mean when you browse music files in the win explorer, you can see details of songs in the tabular mode. There are filters in each column you can use. So if you type "Billy Joel / Ray Charles" in the artist field in winamp, in the win eplorer in the column "contributing artists" you'll see not "Billy Joel / Ray Charles", but "Billy Joel; Ray Charles". And in the filter list of this column there will be "Billy Joel" and "Ray Charles" separately. With the genre field it doesn't work. Hope you understand.
Old 18th November 2012, 09:45   #6
MrSinatra
Forum King

you're right, i'm not following you. can you explain step by step so i can understand?

is what you see as a problem in the way windows works, or winamp?

how can i reproduce the issue, step by step?

--
Old 18th November 2012, 14:56   #7
gbakytn

1. When you tag a song in winamp tag editor type "Billy Joel / Ray Charles"
2. Open the folder where the song is located. When changing the view mode to the table view, you'll see that in the "contributing artists" field there is "Billy Joel; Ray Charles"
3. Move the mouse pointer over the field title and press the down arrow that will appear. There will be "Billie Joel" and "Ray Charles" in the filter list separately. So, for example, if you have a song "Baby Grand", you pick "Billy Joel" and there will be all the songs of Billie Joel. So you can find "Baby Grand" among them. Picking "Ray Charles" in the filter list you can also find "Baby Grand".

And now the problem: do all this with the genre field. For example, tagging the same "Baby Grand" song, type "R&B / Soul" in the genre field. Open the filter list of genre field, and there will be "R&B / Soul". So, for example, if there are many R&B songs in the folder and you want to view all them, you pick "R&B" in the filter list. And there won't be the "Baby Grand" song.

Can't explain in a different way, sorry.

Last edited by gbakytn; 18th November 2012 at 16:59.
Old 18th November 2012, 18:35   #8
MrSinatra
Forum King

i think i follow you now, but that would be a windows problem, not a winamp problem, right?

i can't explain why windows handles one field the one way, and the genre field the other, but that would be for windows to explain, right?

have you tried entering a semicolon in winamp, instead of a slash?

--
Old 19th November 2012, 12:10   #9
gbakytn

Semicolon is a solution. Thank you, bro.
And now
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbakytn View Post
How can I search songs by genre, year, etc.? I tried to type "?composer = ...", "?year = ..." in the search bar, but it didn't work.
Old 19th November 2012, 13:30   #10
ryerman
Major Dude

The syntax is incorrect. Use ?composer = "Mozart"
See post #2 above and the Query Language Documentation in the Advanced mode of a Smart View dialogue.

Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Winamp 5.666, Bento Skin
ryerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 18:19   #11
MrSinatra
Forum King

and you might need wildcard characters, like an * in case winamp only returns exact matches, since entries with a semicolon are seen by winamp as one string. (assuming that works, i haven't done much in this area)

--
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist