Old 7th December 2013, 12:55   #41
DrO

i can play it in the current VLC (did for me), but trying to get it to play via in_dshow would need respective filters which in_dshow could access. it just re-inforces how limited Winamp's video playback is.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2013, 12:58   #42
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

That's odd. Don't know what's up here then as VLC claims to be the latest (only updated it a week or so back). All I get is a static image of geese - no movement. Same with updated MPC.
Batter Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2013, 13:05   #43
DrO

that's what it's meant to be afaict.
Old 7th December 2013, 13:21   #44
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Okay... now I am a little confused. Why a 1MB video file for what a small JPG could display?
I at least expected a bit of a flap of the wings.

Looking at the MediaInfo output it says it is a "5min 47sec" file at 30 frames per second.

VLC, WMP and MPC show me a 15 second still image.

Isn't WebM the Google thing they tried to compete against MPEG with? I just looked on Wikipedia (that ever reliable and trustable source...) and it pointed me at http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=320278 showing Winamp 5.58 supports Webm video. Along with all the usual suspects of VLC, MPC, etc.

So maybe this video is just corrupted in some way? Something ain't right when a 5:47 video only plays for 15 seconds.
Old 7th December 2013, 13:26   #45
Aminifu
Forum King

@Batter Pudding & DrO,
I also think that file is corrupt is some way. I get the same results as you do.

I can get the attached webm file to play in VLC, but Winamp won't play it. It has audio. The link is good for the next 7 days.

http://wikisend.com/download/340194/...y_trailer.webm

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2013, 13:32   #46
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Well... that Big*uckBunny worked first time in every player - including Winamp.

Go into your in_dshow filter in Winamp and add webm to the list. (Edit - actually it plays for me if webm is in that list or not....)

That video plays for the full 32seconds that MediaInfo says it should. It also has audio unlike the supplied test clip of the geese.
Old 7th December 2013, 13:40   #47
Aminifu
Forum King

Added extension and it plays but no audio. I'm using K-Lite, are you using the Nullsoft codec?

Old 7th December 2013, 13:46   #48
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

How do I tell which Codec Winamp is using when playing?

I have just installed the latest K-Lite Mega Codec Pack (10.0.15) and then updated it (10.0.18). So I don't know if that is what makes the difference.

Doing an Open With... on this video in any of VLC, MPC, WMA and Winamp happily fires up the video with full audio.

I can see WEBM in the list of File Types supported by Winamp. Though I cannot tell you where that is coming from.
Old 7th December 2013, 13:50   #49
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

@Batter Pudding
Yes, it's meant to be like that.
It's just a sample file to show that you can see the embedded image (video content) with vlc & mpc but not with Winamp (using in_mkv).
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2013, 13:54   #50
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

@DJ Egg
So why does the video claim to be 5min 47secs long yet only plays for 15 seconds in other players? Seems odd to me.
Old 7th December 2013, 14:02   #51
Aminifu
Forum King

I don't know either. Since I'm using the same K-Lite pack as you to play mkv files, I removed Nullsoft Matroska Demuxer v0.82 [in_mkv.dll]. Don't know if that's needed. Think I read somewhere that it may be. If I add it back, it may interfere with K-Lite playing MKVs. I have a lot of mkv music videos that play fine in Winamp and I don't want to mess that up.

I don't have webm in my list of supported types.

Maybe DrO will let us know what's going on. Trying to compare our configurations this way will take too long. May be something different in the K-Lite setups. Anyway webm plays in VLC and that's ok for me, since I don't see a lot of them.

Old 7th December 2013, 14:05   #52
DrO

in_mkv will try to process things unless you remove it and then it depends on how other plug-ins are configured and what codec packs are present (if then using in_dshow).

primarily, unless there's an audio track, in_mkv will not work correctly and that's the main crux of the issue with the file. as i almost got it playing last night (once removing a number of the checks in the plug-in which will refuse to play anything without an audio track). and from my understanding of how the plug-in was coded, it's a pretty core assumption it makes and i'm not going to have the time to do anything else to resolve it.

and i didn't get it to skip through it in 15s in other players when i tried it though as there's no audio, maybe something else is enabled / happening which is screwing up the sync handling and that's why it skips through. either way, it's a bit of a weird file (though makes sense for the purpose of a sample file) and Winamp just isn't the thing to use to play it.
Old 7th December 2013, 14:14   #53
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

@Aminifu: I guess if you take in_mkv.dll out of Winamp then that is why you don't see WBEM listed as a supported file type.

I have in_mkv.dll in this installation of Winamp. In fact, on this PC I have a full installation of Winamp (apart from the Agent thingy).

I do agree with DrO's point. I'd just word it different. Winamp is famed for being an AUDIO player. Which also has video support. So if this file doesn't have an audio track - it makes sense Winamp doesn't play it.
Old 7th December 2013, 14:18   #54
Aminifu
Forum King

I replaced the in_mkv.dll and my webm still plays with no sound. My MKVs still play fine, so there appears to be no interference with the K-Lite codecs.

Old 7th December 2013, 14:18   #55
DrO

it should be able to play it as a similar file with an audio track works, but it's really just how the plug-in has been coded where it assumes there will be an audio track and without that, there's nothing for it to use as the playback sync aspect and so it aborts. it could be fixed but i don't know how long it would take and i'd rather focus my time before the coming patch update build to fix any crashes / language pack issues over something that has always been borked.
Old 7th December 2013, 14:28   #56
Aminifu
Forum King

@Batter Pudding,
I'm not going to worry with my webm for now. It plays with audio for you, so it must be something in my configuration. I'll search more later. Supported file type just makes it easier to select Winamp for playback in Explorer, it shouldn't affect the audio output. But I'll check that also. It could be my DSP or matrix mixer output plug-ins.

Old 7th December 2013, 15:21   #57
Aspasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batter Pudding View Post
That's odd. Don't know what's up here then as VLC claims to be the latest (only updated it a week or so back). All I get is a static image of geese - no movement. Same with updated MPC.
Yes, that's all it is for testing. Static geese with - pregnant software 'getting ready to load' - on it's way. Cut off!

I didn't want to bother sending a huge file up. As long as you see the Geese we're good. (I just download the latest VLC a week ago too!)

And, thanks everyone for looking into this.

Quote:
- unless this is supposed to just be a single frozen image of two geese.
That's all it's supposed to be. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
so simple answer is the file should play but the plug-in cannot cope with it not having audio.
I like simple definitives - backed up with tech. savvy. Thanks for this...
Aspasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2013, 15:58   #58
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

@Aspasa: That was a little funny... I was expecting the video to move. Not just be the single image. But I still don't understand why VLC is only show 15 seconds before stopping even though MediaInfo is telling me this video is over five minutes.

I expect you could get the video to play in Winamp if you added a silent audio track to it.
Old 7th December 2013, 16:22   #59
Aspasa

Quote:
@Aspasa: That was a little funny... I was expecting the video to move. Not just be the single image. But I still don't understand why VLC is only show 15 seconds before stopping even though MediaInfo is telling me this video is over five minutes.

I expect you could get the video to play in Winamp if you added a silent audio track to it.
- sorry about the single image. the truth of the matter is that i've been trying for eons to get my logitech webcam (on win7 host) to work in a virtual/guest win8 session. Finally an update for Oracle's virtual box diddit!

Soooooo, as i wasn't sure how to use/access the redirected webcam device port (in the win8 virtual/guest session), I was doinking around with Oracle'sVB 'Video' icon which, as we know now, creates a .wbem file of the live screen (nothing to do with my webcam!!)

I'm sure it's over 5 minutes because I was futzin' around with it trying to figger what was going on... I will check this and post another. you can click to see if you like.

- I will put speakers on in background this time (picked up through re-directed webcam) and see about this proposed 'with sound' solution.

Thanks for your curiosity, interest and communications. Helpful. A lot!
Old 7th December 2013, 16:26   #60
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

This is a very handy tool to tell you what your video file is. MediaInfo is what I got the video details from earlier up this thread.

http://www.codecguide.com/download_other.htm

I have the version that gets installed with the K-Lite codec pack installed on the Right Click OS menu. Very handy to find out what you are dealing with.

When you compare your video to the one Aminifu posted you can see that yours has no trace of audio included.

Edit again... now replaced with a safer link. Scroll down the page to look for MediaInfo Lite. The original link I posted goes to an installer with that fscking Open Candy Scamware crud in it. That OpenScamdy stuff is a right evil mess of trying to confuse you into installing carp that will take over your PC.
Old 7th December 2013, 16:34   #61
Aspasa

Quote:
Edit: Sorry, that link goes to an installer with that fscking Open Candy Scamware crud in it. BEWARE.... or just go and get it as part of the K-Lite Codec Pack.
I understand. Except for these forums the internet is a cess pool of high order.

I have the K-lite codec pack. thank you. but, I'm not really savvy about codecs and how they interface and integrate with the various media applications - seems like magic to me! (there was a comment earlier in this thread about deleting the matroska in_mkv.dll. I don't understand how, if this is then deleted that Winamp [or any other media player] then goes and gets another mkv codec) I'm just a network gooroo!

Now I'm searching my machine for this MediaInfo Lite........
Old 7th December 2013, 16:41   #62
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspasa View Post
I understand. Except for these forums the internet is a cess pool of high order.
Even AOL got caught in the OpenScamdy world for a while. Nice to see that the last Winamp installers are Candy free.

A name like "open candy" just sounds like some dodgy geezer offering you sweeties to get into his car. It is a darn good test of the English Language. I have seen far worse though - some software installs are like an assault course of triple negatives and hidden options buttons that have to be leaped through to get at the product you actually want.

I shouldn't complain. Part of my day job involves making money out of removing that kind of crud-ware from a computer. Amazing at the speed changes once that kind of stuff is swept away again.
Old 7th December 2013, 16:42   #63
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

if you have the K-Lite software installed... then just RIGHT CLICK your webm video file and look at the top of the menu for MediaInfo.

As to the comment above about deleteing in_mkv.dll - that is specific to Winamp. It is a simple way of removing the plugin Winamp is using to decode this file. (If you look into C:\Program Files(x86)\Winamp\Plugins\ you will see all the bits that make Winamp do the magic it does...)
Old 7th December 2013, 16:46   #64
Aspasa

Quote:
if you have the K-Lite software installed... then just RIGHT CLICK your webm video file and look at the top of the menu for MediaInfo.

As to the comment above about deleteing in_mkv.dll - that is specific to Winamp. It is a simple way of removing the plugin Winamp is using to decode this file. (If you look into C:\Program Files(x86)\Winamp\Plugins\ you will see all the bits that make Winamp do the magic it does...)
I have MediaInfo v0.7.20 installed. It is not on my Right Click menu (i'm pretty picky about what gets in there) - maybe I should go get the latest from ur link.

So... without the in_mkv then will not WinAmp just use a nother (global?) mkv codec to make it 'decode'?
Old 7th December 2013, 16:49   #65
Aspasa

Quote:
I shouldn't complain. Part of my day job involves making money out of removing that kind of crud-ware from a computer. Amazing at the speed changes once that kind of stuff is swept away again.
Gotta luv that RansomWare stuff

what's your site? I'm cannonbeachcomputers.com. northcoastcomputers.net is just an experimental webdesign site for me to have fun with...and post files!
Old 7th December 2013, 16:58   #66
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

My MediaInfo is v0.7.65 but I expect that is because I have just updated the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack from that link I sent you. That did mention an update to MediaInfo.

I find it very useful on my Right Click menu. Gets some heavy use from me.

I won't pretend to be an expert.... but if you remove the in_mkv.dll from Winamp's plug folder it will not use Winamp's own decoder. If you then go into the Preferences in Winamp and locate the plugins, you can then find in_dshow.dll. If you then add ;WBEM;MKV to the list of file types in there, Winamp will then use the "Direct Show" codecs installed on your PC. In yours and my case this means Winamp then makes use of what the K-Lite Codec Pack has installed on our PC.

(I don't advise you remove this file... leave it as it is... Winamp is working as expected)

Media Player Classic and Windows Media Player make use of these Direct Show codecs. if you hadn't installed that codec pack then WMP would not be able to place MKV. (Nothing "automatically" goes on line to hunt for this. You control what has been installed)

A program like VLC works differently as everything is built into the program itself and it always uses inbuilt codecs no matter what the OS is setup to.

One of the nice part of Winamp is you can add and remove plugins as you need them. So the theory is you can control what and how video and audio files are decoded.

There are better experts in this thread about codecs and how it all works, but that is the basic idea.
Old 7th December 2013, 17:08   #67
Aspasa

Quote:
(Nothing "automatically" goes on line to hunt for this. You control what has been installed)

A program like VLC works differently as everything is built into the program itself and it always uses inbuilt codecs no matter what the OS is setup to.

One of the nice part of Winamp is you can add and remove plugins as you need them. So the theory is you can control what and how video and audio files are decoded.
Good to know. Thanks for that indeed.

I didn't mean "automatically" goes on line but i did mean "automatically" searches your local box.... Anyways, thanks for enlightening me.

i'm downloading mega too. then... gonna mess with webm again

So, was it mkv or webm? why was i substitutin one for t'other? is it confusing? is it me that's confused? or, am i in the wrong forum at the right time!!
Old 7th December 2013, 17:12   #68
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspasa View Post
So, was it mkv or webm? why was i substitutin one for t'other? is it confusing? is it me that's confused? or, am i in the wrong forum at the right time!!
When I read that (totally unreliable) link to Wikipedia I posted earlier it mentioned that WEBM was based on the Matroska project. This explains why the WEBM file is being decoded by the Matroska plugin (in_mkv.dll).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Webm
Old 8th December 2013, 07:35   #69
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
VLC will use it's own codecs by default, but it does have options that let you select which codec to use (system or VLC) for all file types or selected ones. Since VLC handles almost everything, its best to stick with the default (VLC's own codecs).

BP, you don't look at app options much do you? Just install and go with what you're given? Not a criticism, just an observation. On the other hand, messing with options without understanding the results can 'screw the pooche'.

PS:
I found out why I had no sound with my webm file. The sound track is mono, playing on the center channel. My matrix mixer plug-in was set up to distribute the left and right input channels to my 5.1 speaker system. Added the center input channel and bingo, sound. I expected the video sound track to be stereo and didn't check to be sure. I been using stereo files for so long, kinda forgot mono is still being used.

Last edited by Aminifu; 8th December 2013 at 08:44.
Old 8th December 2013, 10:30   #70
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
BP, you don't look at app options much do you? Just install and go with what you're given? Not a criticism, just an observation. On the other hand, messing with options without understanding the results can 'screw the pooche'.
I change the settings I need to. Generally following the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" rule. I also don't tend to sit here and tell people about every tweak I perform as it is usually not relevant (and I don't have the spare time).

Almost every program I load up, I start with looking around the menus and options. Getting aware of what can be changed if I need to. With something like VLC that "just works" I have found very little need for tinkering.

You then give a good example as to how a "tweak too far" can break things. The default setup of Winamp plays webm files perfectly (when there is an audio track). Yet you had managed to tweak that feature to death by redirecting the output to different speakers.

I don't use fancy output plugins to work with my speakers. The Yamaha 2.1 set on my desk looks after its own subwoofer. With my main HiFi audio is passed to the amp via HDMI to split to the 5.1 naturally. If I want to run stereo or mono output across all 5.1 speakers then I let the amp do that with its own built in features. When I watch a video file with a 5.1 soundtrack I'll use MPC with various tweaks.

Everyone has different ways of doing things. Just because I don't change the same options that you do does not mean I ignore the settings. It would also be very difficult to help anyone on this forum if I was not aware of the preferences available within Winamp.
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Tags
mkv