• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thinktink
    Forum King
    • May 2009

Thread Safe

Inside in_mp3.dll are the exported functions winampGetExtendedFileInfo(W) multi-thread safe?
    | Opus Audio Codec plugins 2.0 | Embedded Album Art | DiskWrite |
    | Save your playlist first! | Live voice-over | X-Fade 2.5 |
    | AterKast (Source DSP) | More of my stuff... |
  • Benski
    Ben Allison
    Former Winamp Developer
    • Jan 2005

No.

Thread safety for metadata reading is provided by winamp.exe (via Critical Section)

Comment

• thinktink
      Forum King
      • May 2009

Thank you VERY much for responding. I had my doubts as to why I was seeing certain errors.

Damn-it damn-it damn-it damn-it damn-it damn-it damn-it damn-it damn-it damn-it damn-it damn-it damn-it damn-it damn-it damn-it damn-it damn-it damn-it damn-it damn-it damn-it damn-it damn-it damn-it, this entire time...

Bah, I should know better anyways.

Is there a way I can directly access/call/use that CRITICAL_SECTION object outside of ::SendMessageW(winampHWnd,...) mechanism? I need to be able to call these functions directly for speed reasons (and to minimize thread dead-locks) for a particular chain of functions that call it repeatedly.

P.S.
      Nice to see you're still around. Pop in more often.

Comment

• Victhor
        Late skinner & Moderator
        • May 2003

Originally Posted by thinktink View Post
        P.S.
        Nice to see you're still around. Pop in more often.
        I'd love to see that "former Winamp developer" loose the first word.. =D
        · · Big Bento Modern

Comment

• Benski
          Ben Allison
          Former Winamp Developer
          • Jan 2005

Originally Posted by thinktink View Post
          Is there a way I can directly access/call/use that CRITICAL_SECTION object outside of ::SendMessageW(winampHWnd,...) mechanism? I need to be able to call these functions directly for speed reasons (and to minimize thread dead-locks) for a particular chain of functions that call it repeatedly.
          The critical section is required because many plugins implement a cache of the most recently queried file's metadata, and do so in an unsafe way.

There is a Wasabi API called api_metadata. I think it's in the SDK somewhere. That essentially calls into the same function that the SendMessage(IPC_GET_EXTENDED_FILE_INFOW) API does, but without the SendMessage overhead. ml_local uses it for metadata reading, for example.

There's also an old Winamp3 API (and available in winamp 5 for compatibility reasons) that can be used for thread-safe metadata reading without hitting the critical section, but only in_mp3 and in_wmvdrm implement it. I can dig up details on it if you need.

For Winamp-for-Android (And the formerly in-progress Winamp 6 project), there is a much better metadata API, if only ...

Comment

• thinktink
            Forum King
            • May 2009

Ah excellent, I think I've seen that API somewhere. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
            X