Old 5th March 2013, 19:33   #1
Steve Monks

Winamp crashes on launch on Windows 7 (64 bit)

I've been running Winamp Pro for a number of years on numerous PCs without any issues.

When I tried to launch it today it partially displayed the media library and then a system dialog popped up informing me that Winamp has stopped working.

After a few failed retries I completely uninstalled the app (deleted the Winamp and AppData folders and so on) and reinstalled it from the currently available download.

This time, upon first launch I saw the media library and the equalizer and it played the "whips the LLama etc" sample then crashed again with the same system message.

The actual player dialog never appears.

I'm running it on the 64 bit edition of Windows 7 Pro on a Core i7 based machine driving a Cambdridge Audio DacMagic over USB via my own Kernel Streaming Plugin and have been since the middle of last year without issue. Obviously, the clean install took the Kernel Streaming plugin out of the equation so I don't suspect that to be part of the problem.

I'm suspicious that the problem is something that came through in the last Windows update as it's the only obvious thing that has changed on the machine since the last time I ran Winamp, but would have expected more people to be suffering with it if that was the case.

No other software seems to have developed any noticable issues, just Winamp.

Is anyone else seeing this or can anyone suggest anything further I can try to diagnose the problem?

Regards,
Steve
Steve Monks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2013, 00:52   #2
Roddy Mac

Hey,
I am having the same problem!
Roddy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2013, 10:58   #3
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

This kinda crash is nearly always third party plugins. Go to your plugins folder and remove or rename them one by one until Winamp starts up.

(I use Win7 x64 so this isn't something OS related)
Batter Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2013, 22:10   #4
Steve Monks

Like I said in my original post, it still happens with a clean install (after uninstalling then deleting the AppData folder), so it's only using the plugins supplied with the current build of Winamp, no additional third party ones.

The original install has been working fine since last summer when I built the PC and has just started exhibiting this problem with no deliberate changes to the software installed on the machine.
Old 8th March 2013, 23:33   #5
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
nevertheless, we will need a one for nunz plugin list to help.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2013, 23:48   #6
DrO

the issue is trying to fix something that is known that people experience but has not really been reproduced. there are some possible fixes in what will become a new release, though if they work or not i just do not know.

a nunz list will not help if it's crashing before the UI shows. that points at it possibly being a COM issue in loading which was fixed i.e. it's winamp.exe itself at fault.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2013, 13:58   #7
Steve Monks

Yes, I never actually see the Winamp window itself. I'm seeing the Media Library panel, but without its surround and since the re-install I'm seeing the equaliser panel too, but I never see the actual player window.

On first install it does actually play the welcome sample too, so it's getting as far as opening an output plugin (assuming that plays through the normal mechanism and doesn't just write to the wave device directly or something).

What is a Nunz list? Is this some kind of diagnostic dump? I have tried attaching to it from Visual Studio too, but that doesn't reveal much, although I can get a list of what DLLs are being loaded if that would be helpful.
Old 11th March 2013, 14:08   #8
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

It sounds to me like half the program is missing. You say this is a "clean install" - what do you untick in that installation package? And can you think of any other tools on your PC that may interfere with an install?

Note that my fully updated Win7 64-bit PC is happy. So this is not MS related. What "security" product do you use?
Batter Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2013, 14:19   #9
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
a nunz list will not help if it's crashing before the UI shows. that points at it possibly being a COM issue in loading which was fixed i.e. it's winamp.exe itself at fault.
Are you saying the COM issue you are talking about was fixed in the 5.7 Beta?

Winamp v5.9.0.9999 - Quinto Black CT v3.6 skin
Windows 11 Home 64-bit v22H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2013, 15:58   #10
DrO

the 5.7 beta may fix the issue, though i found and fixed another issue which is modern skin specific over the weekend, so would need to wait for an updated build to be released (no idea when as we're still working on things). though just trying with the current 5.7 beta would be a start.
Old 11th March 2013, 19:14   #11
Steve Monks

Batter Pudding: I'm unticking the three items on the "additional features" page of the installer, knocking of the file associations for anything other than Winamp specific files and unticking all of the online services and the anonymous feedback option. Basically all of the stuff I don't want or need.

In terms of software that may interfere, there could be plenty to choose from. I'm a game developer so I've got quite a few dev tools installed (Visual Studio, Eclipse, Android SDK, Marmalade SDK) however all of these things have coexisted with no issues for the best part of a year. Just recently there have been several security updates for Java and Flash and I recently had to install the latest Marmalade SDK for a project I'm working on, so there have been a few external changes just recently. Regarding AV software, I'm running AVG Free.

DrO: thanks for the suggestion, I've installed the 5.7 beta and this also throws an exception then generates an error report;

Winamp client version: 5.7 build 3315 Beta
winamp caused an In Page Error (0xc0000006)
in module imapi2fs.dll at 0023:665ad836.

Exception handler called in Winamp.

This version did actually run to the point of presenting the player window which I could interact with and started setting up media libraries on, but this seemed to be held open by the presence of the reporting dialog. Once that had gone Winamp closed itself.

I've sent the log along with a note referring back to this thread, hope that helps in pinning down the problem.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 11th March 2013, 20:51   #12
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Monks View Post
What is a Nunz list? Is this some kind of diagnostic dump? I have tried attaching to it from Visual Studio too, but that doesn't reveal much, although I can get a list of what DLLs are being loaded if that would be helpful.
search "one for nunz" in the forums. it only works on 5.63 and below though.

--

Last edited by MrSinatra; 11th March 2013 at 22:02.
Old 11th March 2013, 21:11   #13
DrO

Steve: disable ml_disc.dll (rename to .off) and see if that helps. alas the crash report didn't show much i can make out though my suspicion is it might be down to the ml_disc plug-in (and even possibly to do with the Sonic engine - is that something you'd installed? if so, might be an idea to do a clean re-install and make sure not to enable it on the components page).
Old 11th March 2013, 21:29   #14
Steve Monks

Thanks DrO, you were spot on with the ml_disc.dll. I renamed that and it now launches okay. I've reinstalled the 5.63 release and that works too with this plugin removed (I didn't need to disable the Sonic engine).

Out of interest, what does ml_disc plugin do?

Cheers,
Steve
Old 11th March 2013, 21:33   #15
DrO

cd ripping / burning. if you could do an uninstall and re-install without Sonic but have ml_disc present, then that would be appreciated to try to work out what might be the actual cause of it.
Old 12th March 2013, 19:45   #16
Steve Monks

Hi, I actually did that after your initial suggestion and it still crashed until I renamed ml_disc.dll, so I reinstalled it with Sonic enabled.

I'm happy to try out diagnostic versions of ml_disc.dll or other modules if you want to send them to me in order to get to the root of the problem.
Old 14th March 2013, 21:41   #17
tdcford

I am having the same issue, sort of. Mine doesn't crash on startup. It starts and plays a few songs and then quits working. I have uninstalled and re-installed several different versions. All with the same "Winamp has stopped working" error message after a couple of tunes. I also get a message popup when I started to re-install the program that says winamp had known compatibility issues with Windows 7 and to contact winamp for resolution.
tdcford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2013, 21:49   #18
DrO

wait for the next 5.7 beta build (should be a day or so) and then see if that makes a difference. if not then please do allow the crash reported (assuming it's able to run) to submit a crash report and reference this thread in the message you can send with it.
Old 16th March 2013, 01:01   #19
DrO

Steve: i was given a few hints and can now make a bit more out about the crash report. ironically it's at the same place which generates the random trk***.tmp files (which i also drew a blank on though will have to do some more research about the api being used as calling it shouldn't cause a crash like is happening).

one thing to do is clear out your %temp% folder (i doubt it'll make any difference but is worth a shot).
Old 16th March 2013, 15:25   #20
ujay
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
cd ripping / burning.
What's the current position with this daz ?

Are you saying Sonic is not needed anymore, what about the IMAPI info in 'Rip and Burn' window

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2013, 00:02   #21
Bytemann

Add me to the punked list! lolol
Bytemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2013, 12:37   #22
RobLorton

FWIW I get this on a plain v5.63 on my desktop and notebook machines, both running Win7 SP1 64. Sporadic crash at startup after the UI window just about renders, but sometimes before. Always ok after firing up Winamp a second time.

May be related: I had a lot of crashes & hangs when ripping recently, on inserting discs. Seemed to be more around Gracenote throwing up a dialogue box about failing to identify, or prompting to select from multiple ID matches. Seemed to happen less if I pointed the window back to the media library, not the CD content view, when a disc was inserted. Under Advanced Ripping Settings, the Sonic extraction engine option is checked.

Hope that helps.
RobLorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2013, 12:41   #23
MrSinatra
Forum King

rob,

try the 5.7 3323 beta, and also post your info tool list.

also try turning sonic off, and try it without the gracenote lookup, as we found a bug with gracenote that may or may not be related.

--
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support