Old 20th September 2004, 16:01   #1
And1945

Send a message via ICQ to And1945
Will there be a WinAmp 6? :winamp:

I was wondering, because in the winamp info thing, it says "The last version for now".

Is that the last version of WinAmp 5, if you don't find bugs, or will there ever be a new version?
And1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2004, 16:43   #2
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Send a message via AIM to Nunzio390 Send a message via Yahoo to Nunzio390
Well, all the coders are gone. You decide for yourself after reading this quote from DJ Egg...
Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg

No coders. No fix.

Christophe, Francis & Mig all quit after 5.04 release.
Justin (winamp creator) and Brennan & Aus (wasabi) were already gone, around 5.01/2 release.

Peter (now fb2k) was looking after in_mod up until 2.8x, then X-Fixer (who seems to have vanished off the face of the earth) for 2.9x.
Christophe fixed a major security issue (buffer underrun vulnerability) for 5.02 and also made it so it saved settings to winamp.ini instead of the registry. Apart from that, no other changes have been made to the working in_mod.dll code.

David Biderman, Tom P & Tag are the only coders left at the moment...
Tom & Tag are mainly Shoutcast devs, and David is the project manager and mainly just fixes & compiles the builds. None of them are greatly familiar with certain aspects of the 2.x/5.x api (not like Justin, Christophe & Francis are/were anyway)...

Don't email or PM me concerning Winamp. Instead, either start a NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY in the appropriate thread in these forums. This will also benefit others who may have a similar question or problem. But before posting, please first Search the forums and read all FAQs and all Sticky threads.

ORB Remote Broadcast

[ Automated Jukebox | Nunzio's Home | Wacky Videos | Solve the Prunella Puzzle! ]
[ LINE RIDER! | My Resume | Virtual Chess | Composite Sketch | My Niece's Band ]
[ Plugins by Joonas | DrO's Winamp Plugins and Extras | K-Jöfol ]
Nunzio390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2004, 19:21   #3
And1945

Bugger.

Can't AOL hire some more guys?

I want a version 6.0

Well, as long as WinAmp seize to exist I think I'm happy. Just the fact that when WinAmp 2 was on the rise, it was not unusual that a release once a week was un-realistic.
Old 20th September 2004, 20:05   #4
Cianca

and Then????

now our hopes are all on DrO or wasabi.t0x.org??????

o.O

The universal god of light, love, wisdom and rok n rol
Cianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2004, 22:32   #5
toejam07

Why do so many want a new version so badly? 5.05 does everything that people wanted from Winamp and if it doesn't, there are plug-ins available that will solve that problem. It's stable, fast, and (at least as far as we know) does not have security holes. Be happy with what you have! We don't need another version for a long time, and by then I'm sure AOL will have hired new coders.
Old 20th September 2004, 22:34   #6
siebe83
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by toejam07
Why do so many want a new version so badly? 5.05 does everything that people wanted from Winamp and if it doesn't, there are plug-ins available that will solve that problem. It's stable, fast, and (at least as far as we know) does not have security holes. Be happy with what you have! We don't need another version for a long time, and by then I'm sure AOL will have hired new coders.
Yeah, señor!

Good Winamp plugins by Joonas, DrO and shaneh.
If you're bored go here or, if the boredom is more serious, here.
siebe83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2004, 23:05   #7
Kickboy12

Send a message via ICQ to Kickboy12 Send a message via AIM to Kickboy12 Send a message via Yahoo to Kickboy12
They should make it opensource... but that's just my opinion. With AOL behind the wheel it will never happen.

[@imho] man
[@imho] I had dreams about unit testing last night :-(
[@sim`a] i have nightmares about syntax errors, whats your point
Kickboy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2004, 23:13   #8
toejam07

Quote:
Originally posted by siebe83
Yeah, señor!

(See here if you haven't already.)
Old 21st September 2004, 00:41   #9
I AM ELECTRO

Send a message via AIM to I AM ELECTRO
dont get antsy people. this isnt a memory leak in firefox that you need fixed. When you do everything right winamp is almost perfect. MAybe its cause a year and a half ago i was using 2.4, but 5.05 is fine the way it is
I AM ELECTRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2004, 00:58   #10
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
5.05 does everything that people wanted from Winamp
Winamp 5.0 Wishlist
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2004, 12:16   #11
lostonline
Where am I?
(Major Dude)

It's reached near perfection. why's a new version needed

Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.
--
Homer Simpson
lostonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2004, 12:19   #12
mikm
Major Dude

Why Winamp 6? What about 5.1 - 5.99?
The only point of changing the major version number if there is a major change (i.e. cd ripping, freeform skin support).

powered by C₂H₅OH
mikm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2004, 12:35   #13
DrO

Apart from a few issues, 5.05 is near enough the best it can be. Anything in the later versions was intended to be better support and handling of things as well as some more things on the developer side of things.

Considering there was no update from 2.8x to 2.9x for god knows how long, i think we should just see how things go. Winamp isn't dead since unless i'm wrong it's still works, still plays and still is damn good. Just because there's no one really able to work on it (at the moment) doesn't mean it's dead, it's just sleeping like the beast it is

Cianca: nope, i do this for fun, i couldn't code professionally since it'd kill things for me (too much red tape, etc)

Now quit the moaning, start with the using and if you don't like things, get some plugins to make it how you want it to be, simple enough i think

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2004, 12:56   #14
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Quote:
Now quit the moaning, start with the using and if you don't like things, get some plugins to make it how you want it to be, simple enough i think
LOL. Look up. Look up, people! Look up at DrO's sig in the above post. All the plugins you want are right there.
Old 21st September 2004, 13:58   #15
And1945

I know WinAmp is near perfection, that is why I use it, and have been since 1997. But I liked the fact that once a new version came out so often.

Just that I am missing.
Old 21st September 2004, 17:55   #16
JRSellers
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by And1945
I know WinAmp is near perfection, that is why I use it, and have been since 1997. But I liked the fact that once a new version came out so often.

Just that I am missing.
Well, I guess they could just put a new version number on on it to make you happy.
JRSellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2004, 01:52   #17
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to dlinkwit27 Send a message via AIM to dlinkwit27 Send a message via Yahoo to dlinkwit27
Quote:
Originally posted by Kickboy12
They should make it opensource... but that's just my opinion. With AOL behind the wheel it will never happen.
why? if your such a damn good programmer that open souce would allow you to make your own fixes, make your own media player.
dlinkwit27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2004, 03:02   #18
Logy

If no coders, what about the new wishlist in winamp wishlist section, who can coding or solve their problems... the only person know that have leave nullsoft... or if they doing this outside the nullsoft... any comments...

The English suffix -logy denotes a field of study or academic discipline.
Logy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2004, 06:08   #19
siebe83
Forum King

Did you see the first paragraph in the Wishlist?
Quote:
This is the list of the most commonly requested features for the next releases of Winamp 5. These already have been noted and do not need to be continually requested. These requests have already been brought to the attention of the developers.
You could interpret it as this:
Quote:
This is the list of the most commonly requested features (for the next releases of Winamp 5). These already have been noted and do not need to be continually requested. These requests have already been brought to the attention of the developers.

Besides that, also plugin makers take a look at the Wishlist once in a while. So I think it definitely serves a purpose.

Old 22nd September 2004, 06:18   #20
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Oh, plugin makers most certainly do take a look at the Wishlist once in a while.

Look at what DrO whipped up in just a few hours in response to this request in the Wishlist > separator in Playlist

DrO is the Magical Genie of Winamp plugins / enhancement!!
Ask once and your wish is granted!!

Forums member: "Hello. Can somebody make this or do that for Winamp?"
DrO: "Hmmm. I don't see why not."

DrO: "Your wish has been granted!"

Don't email or PM me concerning Winamp. Instead, either start a NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY in the appropriate thread in these forums. This will also benefit others who may have a similar question or problem. But before posting, please first Search the forums and read all FAQs and all Sticky threads.

ORB Remote Broadcast

[ Automated Jukebox | Nunzio's Home | Wacky Videos | Solve the Prunella Puzzle! ]
[ LINE RIDER! | My Resume | Virtual Chess | Composite Sketch | My Niece's Band ]
[ Plugins by Joonas | DrO's Winamp Plugins and Extras | K-Jöfol ]
Old 22nd September 2004, 11:17   #21
DrO

Quote:
Besides that, also plugin makers take a look at the Wishlist once in a while. So I think it definitely serves a purpose.
where do you think a lot of mine have come from as well as user suggestions

-daz
Old 26th September 2004, 05:20   #22
Logy

Quote:
Did you see the first paragraph in the Wishlist?

You could interpret it as this:

This is the list of the most commonly requested features (for the next releases of Winamp 5). These already have been noted and do not need to be continually requested. These requests have already been brought to the attention of the developers..
but also see this,

Quote:
Originally posted by Sawg
Updated for Winamp 5.04, but in a current state of temporary suspended animation...

The English suffix -logy denotes a field of study or academic discipline.
Logy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2004, 06:00   #23
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Yeah, change that quote to "Originally posted by DJ Egg"
(aka: sticky maintenance man)
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2004, 23:15   #24
And1945

Quote:
Originally posted by JRSellers
Well, I guess they could just put a new version number on on it to make you happy.
You don't have to get rude with me.

I am just trying to find out what happened, and I mention that I miss the good old days, and then you get sarcastic and agressive on me?

Thank you for that.
Old 25th October 2004, 21:55   #25
ivand67

A new version will always be needed because that's just the way things are.

So, you think Winamp does everything? Maybe now, but there are tons of features within Winamp that could be a little bit better.

Plus, there's competition. No, I'm not talking about iTunes as a media player or WMP, but Musicmatch Jukebox and a couple others - the other guys, whoever they are, aren't gonna stop developing.

Winamp should have a big team of developers working on version 6.0 - I'd pay $30 if they incorporated the 40 best and most useful plug-ins in the program and they started taking things from the Winamp Wishlist and putting it into the program.

To say that Winamp 5.05 is all that's needed and all that we will ever need is just not realistic.
ivand67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2004, 22:04   #26
siebe83
Forum King

Fact is that Winamp 5.05 is the best version ever
Another fact: a new version is not likely to come out soon.
Talking about being realistic

Off course there's competition. But Winamp is build in a way to allow more functionality using plugins. That way, there will always be room for expansion and improvement. Asking for incorporation of 40 () plugins is only asking for another bloated media player, imho...

I'm not saying I don't want new coders. I really hope some day development will continue to make Winamp even better. But for now, I'm happy with what's there.

Old 25th October 2004, 22:08   #27
toejam07

Quote:
Originally posted by toejam07
Old 25th October 2004, 22:23   #28
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:

Another fact: a new version is not likely to come out soon.
Be careful with what facts you quote.....
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2004, 22:25   #29
siebe83
Forum King

I'm speechless

You do realize this will trigger something?

Old 25th October 2004, 22:27   #30
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Not any more it won't
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2004, 22:28   #31
toejam07

http://www.winampunlimited.com/index.php?id=52, second paragraph.
Old 25th October 2004, 22:29   #32
siebe83
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Jones
Not any more it won't
Argh, get lost

Old 25th October 2004, 22:45   #33
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

The real question is if you really want a new version, apart from bugfixes and the iPod and the single GUI skin.

Look at it this way, the old coders are all gone, and are not likely to be back. If Nullsoft gets new coders, they are likely not to have the same commitment to Winamp as the old ones. They will take their marching orders from AOL, and put in Winamp what AOL tells them to, without asking questions.

What you end up getting will be a different product than the current vertsion of Winamp.

So I'll ask again, do you really want a new version? I think I'll stick to what I have.
Wildrose-Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2004, 22:52   #34
DrO

i think that's a good point, new coders will more likely be governed by an aolesque attitude. we could be totally wrong but whenever a new dev comes into a project, the dynamics of things will change and with possibly a number of people you can see what will happen.

if a new version comes, then it comes otherwise, rejoice in 5.05 and update it with some nice plugins (winamp isn't designed to suit everyone's needs out of the box but you still can make it be like you want)

less ramblings from me, sleep and job interview beckon

-daz
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion