Old 1st October 2009, 03:44   #1
vanderspace

Fuck You Apple

Apple are a bunch of evil dicks... they purposely build shoddy fucking products that only work if you use ONLY CERTIFIED APPLE GEAR... yes, people are smart enough to build shit that works in conjunction with Apple products... but as soon as you do this you're pretty much on your own as far as support and Apple will tell you to fuck off.
As much as they would like to believe so, Apple does not rule the world (though they're getting there) and I'll be fucked if I'm just gonna sit around while some rich fuckers rape my wallet and get away with it. It's like being in a situation where you know you're going to die... what would you do?
Shy of dropping-trou and taking a piss on Steve Job's Italian leather shoes, I'd at least like be able to rage to a hoard of anon who really don't give two shits but are still decent enough to let shit like this get said because they, at least, are not the disease of egotistic fucks with no sense of reality and a platinum credit card and are still 'indie' enough in their own minds to be able to say 'Fuck You.'
And for those viewing this (though I doubt it'll ever get read beacause it'll probably get modded within minutes) on their shiny new Mac... get up, pick up your Mac, walk to the window AND THROW IT THE FUCK OUT!
And instead of calming down...
go buy a gun and blow your fucking head off, because if you don't... then chances are when you get home there'll be another new Mac waiting for you, and a credit card receipt for somewhere between $4000-TEN B-SQUILLION DOLLARS!

Have a nice day
vanderspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2009, 01:41   #2
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
Re: Fuck You Apple

Quote:
Originally posted by vanderspace
(lots of apple-sucks-cock ranting)

Have a nice day
Thanks. I'm having a great day, in part because I haven't used an apple product since mid 2002. They're rated well for those who need them for a limited, specific purpose though, especially in the areas of the arts.

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2009, 22:17   #3
fc*uk

Re: Re: Fuck You Apple

Quote:
Originally posted by swingdjted
They're rated well for those who need them for a limited, specific purpose though, especially in the areas of the arts.
Would not DJ on anything else personally. That's about all I use it for though. Not good for too much else. I take it on trips (business/pleasure) because it lighter than my PC laptops. It's good enough when I am away (email, documents largely pdfs).

Yeah, Ted is basically right.

The original poster has merit as well as they have done some massively shady things in the past few months. Still love my mac though and would not trade it out for what I use it for.

Anything specifically got your goat vanderspace?
fc*uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 16:52   #4
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Apple does not rule the world (though they're getting there)
With a market share in dollars that isn't as good as Acer and a 12% sales drop in a year. Add the iphone that is seeing some pretty stiff competition with open phones that can be run on better and/or cheaper networks. Add the fact that people are figuring out that they didn't like the DRM ipod and don't need it.

I predict that even nerds are ready to wave bye bye to Apple.

Quote:
Would not DJ on anything else personally.
I am sort of curious as to what DJ software for Macs you find indispensible. I know a guy that uses linux with Ultramixer (java/windows/linux or mac) and some open source CD-G stuff for Krapeoke. Seems to be all it needs to be.

Personally, I think I'd rather mix with a real mixer than a software one.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 7th October 2009 at 17:13.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 18:35   #5
fc*uk

ROH: First, yes, I use real mixers that connect to the computer via usb. There is no way I could mix anything using software alone. My mixers and decks are mapped for the software being used. This is nice because it allows me to shove 500 gig of music on a laptop as opposed to the dreaded record boxes that: a). take time to find tracks; b). limit what I can take with me.

The software is not special in terms of *only on a mac*. It runs on both PCs and macs. Personally, the only two I have ever used is Traktor and Torq. The main beef with the PC versions is really the fact that when other software/vsts are running in the background a PC will somewhat often crash and take everything else down with it. If a vst running in the same program on a mac encounters an error, then only the vst dies and it does not take everything else with it. Same thing applies to software crashing on both the PC and the mac.

In all fairness, I have had an equal number of vst/software related crashes on both platforms. The mac just handles it better. I have also never had anything near the BSOD you get half the time on Windows when this happens. At a live gig you just can't have your sound die and that rarely happens on a mac.
fc*uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 00:13   #6
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Personally, I have used Traktor for quite some time with no crashes yet (/crosses fingers). I don't do much work anymore with it, as I don't do many non-wedding gigs anymore, but when I do, it's fun to play with. I run it with a standard Tascam M-06ST mixer, pioneer amps and JBL and/or Infinity speakers (depending on venue and event - JBLs are much stronger and meant for hardcore use, Infinities are cleaner with more refined sound).

I run the program on this laptop, which has been great. I will say, that even before I picked that computer up, my wife's old Compaq (2.0GHz Celery processor, 1GB RAM, 40GB hdd) was able to run Traktor with good stability, with a portable USB HDD for the music. I don't think the program is all that demanding.

I've never tried torq. I'd like to some day though.

Old 8th October 2009, 23:56   #7
rockouthippie
Banned

BSOD's seem pretty uncommon in XP and later. I had a machine do that with bad ram and I've seen it once in a while with a machine that I overclocked the video card on.

I'd look for a hardware problem on a machine that was prone to that. Cheapo memory is a good candidate.
Old 9th October 2009, 04:43   #8
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by rockouthippie
BSOD's... ...bad ram
That's the only way I ever get any true BSOD that is actually blue. It's on an old 2001 P4 1.3 GHz xp machine of mine. Even then, it's not the old bsod, it's a screen that comes up after a perfectly fine session, then I tell it to shut down, and instead of completing the shut down process, I get a blue screen that mentions a "memory parity error". I then have to either unplug the machine or hold the power button 5 seconds to complete the power down. I rarely use that computer any more though for anything significant - it's in the garage for music, calculator, or quick web research when I'm working on a project out there.

Most freezes I get in XP won't change the screen, it just seems to make everything except mouse movement inactive in the rare case that I have a problem. Sometimes I get the cool trails when dragging a window if I'm on the way to a freeze.

In Vista, I have yet to have a full system freeze. Sometimes a program will die and will need to be killed via task manager, but I have never had to restart the whole computer to fix a problem involving a program freeze. Winamp AVS is a real killer of itself in this fashion. It HATES Vista, and often causes me to kill and restart Winamp, but the rest of the running programs don't notice the problem when it happens and just continue working like nothing bad happened.

Old 10th October 2009, 16:51   #9
rockouthippie
Banned

Assuming something that a guru I know said "Every other MS operating system revision is good", maybe Windows 7 will be good. Win 98 good, 2000 bad, XP good, Vista bad.... hope springs eternal

12 days... I will be a late adopter...
Old 10th October 2009, 17:43   #10
Rellik
Major Dude

2000 was actually good, but intended for business use. WinME however, blech :P
Rellik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2009, 18:34   #11
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I'll fix that and forget 2000, because it was good and an exception (and I never worked much with 95, so I'll leave that out too).

Try this:

98: Excellent
M.E.: Horrible
XP: Excellent
Vista: Pain in the ass
7: promising maybe...

I hear navigation and other issues on 7 are just as much a pain in the ass as Vista though:
* In windows explorer, up-a-level button still gone, drop down navigation menu still worthless
* Hardware and software incompatibilities still an issue (may never be resolved)
* AVS problems still
* Folder settings still forgotten and default to the ginormous "extra-large icons" even if you set it some other way last time you closed the folder
* Included photo printing software still not on par with the old XP Windows Picture and Fax Viewer
* Home networking, network printing, and file sharing still far more a pain in the ass than XP

I just wish the average everyday computer user could do simple everyday tasks on a computer without doing a shitload of research and tech support. I spent two years going through intense training and teaching computer classes, and yet I still have loads of headaches about common everyday things like these.

Old 10th October 2009, 19:32   #12
rockouthippie
Banned

My main problem is service pack and upgrades breaking the damn thing. My happiest Vista machine is running SP1 with no upgrades at all.

It's only because SP2 is broken with a piece of software that I use that I haven't installed that. I don't think the navigation issue you mention is a big deal, but the "improved" search utility sure sucks.

I have had real trouble with the daily patches and have found stability in virgin SP1, and SP1 fresh updated with SP2 only. SP1 with daily updates over those years seems to explode when you add SP2, but it updates ok from SP1 clean.

I would turn automatic updates off. I've seen updates blow the machine up too many times.

The only hardware issue I've had is a RAID card that doesn't have a Vista driver. I couldn't blame that on Vista, the card maker just never made a driver.

I think it's a little unreasonable to expect 10 year old software and hardware to run. I'm really not begruding paying software companies to buy updated versions.

I am a little grumpy about replacing windows.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 10th October 2009 at 19:51.
Old 10th October 2009, 19:45   #13
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Since 2008 I've been running a box with 4 strong cores, HDD space measured in terabytes and RAM adding to well over a dozen gigs, so it's not so much the operating system being heavy that I hate, I just hate the fact that no matter how much money, software, time, or research I throw at a machine, it still often seems less productive than what I had several years ago on a budget. Perhaps I'm just expecting too much.

Old 11th October 2009, 03:52   #14
Phyltre
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Phyltre Send a message via Yahoo to Phyltre
Quote:
Originally posted by swingdjted
Since 2008 I've been running a box with 4 strong cores, HDD space measured in terabytes and RAM adding to well over a dozen gigs, so it's not so much the operating system being heavy that I hate, I just hate the fact that no matter how much money, software, time, or research I throw at a machine, it still often seems less productive than what I had several years ago on a budget. Perhaps I'm just expecting too much.
This sounds a lot more like changed perspective and possibly depression than it does any fault of the machine.
Phyltre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2009, 07:40   #15
rockouthippie
Banned

I'm still using a couple of socket 939 (Athlon X2 3800 and 4800) machines and I think the quad core machine you built is sort of in the same generation of machine.

I sort of look at replacing machines when the new ones get 4X faster. Maybe in a year or two with the prevalence of DDR3 and 3+Ghz multicore processors will tempt me to replace these oldies. I just haven't seen the performance jump I wanted yet.
Old 23rd September 2011, 08:39   #16
striker503

Apple makes expensive computers with a cheap hardware... see iphone
striker503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2011, 15:47   #17
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

An "Apple" does not come into my house, never...
On an "Apple" I would miss something very much...
I am so glad to have my Windows and also my "something"...
Greetings from Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > The Bitchlist