Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Old 22nd September 2014, 07:31   #1
Aminifu
Forum King

Minimum needed to associate artwork with Media Library records?

I've added some music videos to my media library and made a smart view for listing them. I only get the default llama image (which usually indicates no artwork found) shown for each folder of videos instead of the image file in the folders.

I've used the <Shift+E> metadata editor to add artist, title, and album data to the music videos library records. I've tried renaming the .jpg image file in each folder to each of the filenames that Winamp recognizes for audio file artwork (e.g. cover, folder, etc).

What am I missing?

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2014, 08:05   #2
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
perhaps winamp does not use folder art for videos, and instead only uses specific criteria in a given video formats tag or creates some kind of thumbnail of certain formats?

I don't use winamp for video almost ever, so these are just guesses.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2014, 13:01   #3
DrO

video should work the same as audio - the artwork API does not discriminate between file types (just files vs streams currently).

as such there is no specific handling differences that i'm aware off between video and audio. so it's more likely down to what information is being provided from the files / library data or there's something blocking it that i'm not aware off. without looking into it further, i have little else to comment on the matter.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2014, 14:11   #4
ryerman
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
I've added some music videos to my media library and made a smart view for listing them. I only get the default llama image (which usually indicates no artwork found)...
What am I missing?
Try this:
1. Organize music videos like this: "F:\Music Videos\%artist%\%album%\%track% - %artist% - %title%.avi"
2. Provide cover art like this: "F:\Music Videos\%artist%\%album%\cover.jpg"
3. In Watch Folders, use -Meta+Smart for "F:\Music Videos"

See attachment for my example results.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Album Art for Music Videos.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	51403  

Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Winamp 5.666, Bento Skin
ryerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2014, 15:32   #5
MrSinatra
Forum King

nice.

--
Old 22nd September 2014, 15:35   #6
DrO

so... basically just helping to ensure that the metadata guessing will be able to create a local library entry which will make for a more sensible / reliable match.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2014, 15:57   #7
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi ryerman,

I have mine setup like this:

1. I've organized music videos like this: "D:\Music Videos\%artist%\%artist% - %title%.avi"
2. I've provided cover art like this: "D:\Music Videos\%artist%\cover.jpg"
3. In Watch Folders, I use: -Meta-Guess for "D:\Music Videos"

The storage scheme is basically the same as yours without album folders and a track number in the filename. Instead of letting Winamp guess the metadata from the storage scheme, I've used the <Shift+E> editor to enter the artist, title, and album metadata for each video.

My smart view is the same as yours, minus the album panel in the middle across the top and the track # column in the panel across the bottom. It shows all the information, even the album name under the llama images. After going thru all this, I now think I know what is wrong. You use the official video plug-ins don't you?. I use 3rd party plug-ins. Once years before I had tried using a 3rd party audio input plug-in and wasn't able to see the audio files artwork. I think it's the same sort of thing now.

Thank you very much for trying to help.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Old 22nd September 2014, 16:20   #8
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
3. In Watch Folders, I use: -Meta-Guess for "D:\Music Videos"
can u post a screenshot?

Quote:
The storage scheme is basically the same as yours without album folders and a track number in the filename. Instead of letting Winamp guess the metadata from the storage scheme, I've used the <Shift+E> editor to enter the artist, title, and album metadata for each video.
u lost me here... if you don't put your "cover.jpg" files per album folder, how could it work? I would expect that if a bunch of video files were in one folder together, u could only have one cover.jpg

Quote:
After going thru all this, I now think I know what is wrong. You use the official video plug-ins don't you?. I use 3rd party plug-ins. Once years before I had tried using a 3rd party audio input plug-in and wasn't able to see the audio files artwork. I think it's the same sort of thing now.
the input plugin shouldn't matter, b/c if winamp guesses based on folder/filenames (as Ryerman suggests) and gets enough info, the DB will have the records necessary to check against when needing to correlate artwork files. but I might not understand the extent to which input plugins affect the process.

--
Old 22nd September 2014, 17:25   #9
ryerman
Major Dude

Quote:
... After going thru all this, I now think I know what is wrong. You use the official video plug-ins don't you?. I use 3rd party plug-ins. Once years before I had tried using a 3rd party audio input plug-in and wasn't able to see the audio files artwork. I think it's the same sort of thing now.
Hi Aminifu.
I do use only official video plugins, combined with the additions and instructions found here.

I reproduced your storage scheme and Watch Folder configuration.
As expected, Winamp does not populate the metadata automatically.
After manual editing, the metadata, including cover art is displayed correctly.

So that might confirm your conclusion about 3rd party plugins being the culprit.

If you ever do get art showing for videos, I make these gentle comments/suggestions:

I prefer to "hard-code" the metadata into the folder structure because I often clear and re-scan the Library.
Also, I treat the track number in the file name as the playcount, and use a script to edit it when necessary.
I agree with MrSinatra when he alludes to problems you may have with multiple music videos for an artist.

Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Winamp 5.666, Bento Skin
ryerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2014, 17:41   #10
Aminifu
Forum King

MrSinatra,

If I'm understanding how Winamp guesses metadata, then the album folder name is used to determine the album tag value. Since I'm using the <Shift+E> editor to enter all the data, I don't need Winamp to guess the values.

I'm splitting my videos up by artist instead of artist/album, with each artist having it's own folder. Then each artist folder contains a cover.jpg file to be associated with each video in the folder.

If the input plug-ins are being used to read the artwork and pass the data on, then my 3rd party plug-ins may not be doing that.

Last edited by Aminifu; 22nd September 2014 at 19:07.
Old 22nd September 2014, 18:51   #11
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryerman View Post
I prefer to "hard-code" the metadata into the folder structure because I often clear and re-scan the Library.
Also, I treat the track number in the file name as the playcount, and use a script to edit it when necessary.
I agree with MrSinatra when he alludes to problems you may have with multiple music videos for an artist.
I understand that putting the metadata in the folder scheme saves a lot of time if you need to redo things for a lot of files. I'll keep that in mind if my collection starts growing. At the moment, I only have built up to a couple hundred videos (added 4 or 5 at a time over the last year).

I only have 3 to 5 videos per artist with each group in it's own folder and 1 image per folder. If I can get this to work, I plan to make a thumbnail image from each video and put each one in it's own folder. I get tired of looking at the same image for each song in an album. That's why I don't adhere strictly to 'album art' and usually embed different images of the artist or things related to the song in each audio file.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion