Old 10th May 2008, 04:43   #1
JTTFM

Gracenote alternatives for WinAmp

WinAmp is great software, but the fact that WinAmp is dependent on Sony/Gracenote is concerning. Sony can use information gathered from WinAmp to identify CDR's being ripped, my IP address, and other information about me that I do not feel comfortable sharing with the rootkit company. There are a number of discussions online such as this one at TechCrunch, this one at The Industry Standard, and this one at The Patry Copyright Blog. There are many more. Other users besides me should be worried, too.

Is there any way to replace Gracenote in WinAmp? I asked about this previously, but there was only one response for a replacement using freedb which is a poor implementation (the implmentation, not freedb).

There are a number of alternatives to Gracenote: AMG, freedb, and MusicBrainz to name a few. Are these options being considered? The best solution would be for WinAmp developers to replace Gracenote with a different database in WinAmp as the standard so that Sony cannot spy on us.

I've been trying out AMG on my PS3 and the free version of RealPlayer, and freedb on EAC. I prefer to use WinAmp, but Gracenote does not make the difference in my experience.

The option is to switch to an application that does not use a cddb service owned by an RIAA founding member (there are many options), but I would prefer to use WinAmp if possible. Any chance of moving to another cddb?
JTTFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2008, 05:37   #2
Sawg
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to Sawg Send a message via AIM to Sawg Send a message via Yahoo to Sawg
Nope.

| Brought to you by ^V ^C | The one... the original... no seriously!
Sawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2008, 07:45   #3
JTTFM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sawg
Nope.
Can you elaborate?
Old 10th May 2008, 07:47   #4
Sawg
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to Sawg Send a message via AIM to Sawg Send a message via Yahoo to Sawg
Winamp uses CDDB. You cannot have it use other databases.

Your alternatives are:
Not use the services that use Gracenote.
Deal
Another program

Old 10th May 2008, 07:58   #5
JTTFM

Thank you for the quick answer.

Maybe this is not the best place to ask, but is there any plans by the developers to switch to an alternative? The concerns about Sony/Gracenote are real.

By the way, why are the links I entered above blanked out?
Old 10th May 2008, 08:06   #6
Sawg
Forum King

Nope. And Dirty, dirty spammers. But we can still seem them if we need to.

Old 10th May 2008, 08:49   #7
JTTFM

Bummer.

OK. I hope someone who manages the future of WinAmp thinks about a replacement. WinAmp users should not be used as a tool for the RIAA. Meanwhile, I will try moving my music into an alternative application.

About the dirty spammers, are links not allowed? The links I posted were related to my comments, not spam. The interface allows for inserting hyperlinks, so I thought it would be OK.
Old 10th May 2008, 08:52   #8
Sawg
Forum King

Do you know Winamp/ Nullsoft is owned by AOL - Time Warner. Warner Music Group.....

And no hyperlinks for new members.

Old 10th May 2008, 09:39   #9
JTTFM

restatement

I should have said:

I hope someone who manages the future of Winamp thinks about a replacement. WinAmp, owned by the same people who own Warner, should not have their users used as a tool by Sony who is Warner's competitor. :-)

AFAIK, Warner Music did not sell rootkit CD's.
Old 10th May 2008, 09:44   #10
DrO

it's Winamp not WinAMP, WinAmp or any other variation - just Winamp (bugs the hell out of me and had to say something).

they're unlikely to change the gracenote usage just because Sony has purchased it since they've been using it for years and will probably keep doing so. also the purchase of gracenote is still meant to leave it as a seperate entity and still offer 3rd parties existing styles of licensing/data access (as Winamp is under) so i think you're probably over-reacting but i guess that's the internet's way *shrugs*

you're better off asking for someone (3rd party) to make an alternative based on freedb (or whatever it's called now) or any of the other alternatives since it's not going to be done natively due to the gracenote licensing requirements (and is why it's marked as such in the wishlist forum sticky thread)

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2008, 12:43   #11
JTTFM

Thanks for the clarification about the Gracenote licensing requirements preventing the use of other alternatives DrO.

It is depressing to think Winamp (thanks for clarifying my misspelling) developers do not want to change to a possibly superior system just because "they've been using [Gracenote] for years and will probably keep doing so". I thought Winamp was in the business of making superior software, not just doing something because it is how it has always been done. Times must be tough at Nullsoft if this is the case.
Old 10th May 2008, 12:57   #12
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

What is this superior system that you refer to?
Gracenote is the most complete online CD database there is.
Much more complete and accurate than freedb & MusicBrainz.

We already use AMG for Album Art retrieval, and did consider using it for the cddb features... however, Gracenote licensing & contractual conditions at the time prevented us from taking it any further.

The Gracenote code we use in in 5.5x hasn't been changed.
We're still using the same GN libraries from before the Sony acquisition.
And from what I can tell, none of the serverside code has changed either.
It's still the exact same database as it was before.

If this changes in any detrimental way in the future, then you can be rest assured that we will consider switching to another service instead.

But as it currently stands, I fear that you might just be suffering from a slightly bad case of tinfoil hat syndrome...
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2008, 13:19   #13
JTTFM

Thank you DJ Egg.

Good to hear that Winamp may consider alternatives.

I'd prefer AMG to Gracenote if Winamp was able to use the types of information available at the allmusic website... tin foil hat syndrome or not :-)
Old 16th May 2008, 16:40   #14
Bilbo9955

You might want yo try another tagging program such as MP3tag. MP4tag come with a few sources built in and has add ons that let you connect to other databases. You can switch between them to find the best info.

MusicBrainz also has a FreeDB Gateway, so any program that supports FreeDB, such as EAC, can be used.
Bilbo9955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2008, 01:14   #15
Gazzafromoz

There Is A Way

You can redirect winamp to use FreeDB by adding the following to your host file.

Add the following settings:

195.214.216.38 cddb.cddb.com
195.214.216.38 cddb.cddb.org
195.214.216.38 cddb.cddb.net
195.214.216.38 us.cddb.com
195.214.216.38 sc.ca.us.cddb.com
195.214.216.38 sc2.ca.us.cddb.com
195.214.216.38 sj.ca.us.cddb.com
195.214.216.38 sj2.ca.us.cddb.com

Hope this helps all the users who don't like using Gracenote

Gazzafromoz
Gazzafromoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2014, 18:12   #16
smoshlak

Where's the fix for Gracenote?

Okay Guys-

It's October and we still don't have a fix in place. What's the game plan?

Last edited by smoshlak; 1st October 2014 at 18:12. Reason: Grammer
smoshlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2014, 19:01   #17
Aminifu
Forum King

If it was October, 2015 you might have an issue.

It has been posted several times and in several places that the first Radionomy public release of Winamp will be in 2015. The 1st release will attempt to have replacements for much of what is no longer working.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2015, 23:39   #18
FortKnox

So... where does it stand with getting a Winamp that uses FreeDB instead of CDDB?
Thanks!
FortKnox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2015, 00:04   #19
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

The plan is to replace Gracenote with MusicBrainz, which has come a long way since I made that above comment waaaay back in 2008.
Sure, we might also be able to (eventually) provide an option to use an alternative service such as freedb...we shall see....

The old 3rd-party CD Reader Plugin used freedb....don't know if it still works with the latest Winamp release though...
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2015, 20:38   #20
Alcahest

Yes, Copah's in_cdreader.dll still works perfectly fine.
Alcahest is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion