Old 14th October 2016, 19:48   #1
Industrial_One

Avisynth scripts renamed as "Winamp media file"

While this isn't really a big deal, when right-clicking and going to "create new" to make an .AVS file, it's automatically named "Winamp media file.avs". How do I make Winamp stop claiming it for itself? lol.
I tried removing AVS from the directshow handler list, it doesn't work. A temporary fix is to change the registry key for .avs at HKEY/CLASSES from Winamp.file to avsfile but it reverts as soon as I open Winamp again.
Industrial_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2016, 20:37   #2
Aminifu
Forum King

Which version of Winamp and which version of Windows are you using?

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2016, 04:31   #3
Industrial_One

Sorry, Winamp 5.666 and I'm using Windows 7 32-bit.
Old 15th October 2016, 13:50   #4
Aminifu
Forum King

The AVS plug-in (which hasn't been updated in quite awhile) probably writes it's association keys to the registry each time it is loaded. Newer versions of the OS (8, 8.1, and 10) block apps from writing associations to the registry after their initial installation.

So I think you are stuck with that behavior (i.e. your registry edits being undone) until you upgrade Windows or that plug-in is updated. The odds are against this plug-in being updated anytime soon. There may be an option to make this plug-in stop writing it's association keys to the registry. Ask in the AVS sub-forums (http://forums.winamp.com/forumdisplay.php?f=85).

You can also try shutting down Winamp and making sure that the "IsFirstInst=" and "NeedReg=" options values in the "[WinampReg]" section of the "winamp.ini" file are "0". Open "winamp.ini" with notepad and use it if you need to change the values. If you don't know or can't find which folder the "winamp.ini" file is in (the folder may be hidden on your system), use the OS search feature to locate the file.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Old 15th October 2016, 18:51   #5
Industrial_One

Before I try those suggestions, you need to know that I do not have an AVS plug-in installed. I just added AVS to the directshow handler list so I could play Avisynth scripts in Winamp. I have since removed the AVS extension from in_dshow.
Old 15th October 2016, 19:51   #6
Aminifu
Forum King

Are you saying you have not installed the Winamp AVS visualizer?

Old 16th October 2016, 02:53   #7
Industrial_One

Correct, I've never even heard of it. Unless AVS means something besides Avisynth.
Old 16th October 2016, 09:55   #8
CJ_Man

AVS in Winamp stands for Advanced Visualization studio. You'll find it as an entry under Options - Visualization - Select Plug-in.

The scripts that it uses are .avs files.
CJ_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2016, 16:09   #9
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Industrial_One View Post
Correct, I've never even heard of it. Unless AVS means something besides Avisynth.
The Advanced Visualization Studio plug-in is installed by default (unless you select the custom installation mode and select the Winamp components you want installed).

Open Winamp and press the "Ctrl" and "P" keyboard keys at the same time to open the Winamp Preferences window. Select the "File Types" heading on the left-hand side and look in the list on the right-hand side to see if "AVS" is listed and selected. Scroll through the entire list because the file extensions are not listed in order. Click on "AVS" to un-select it, if it is selected (highlighted). You can take the time to review all the other file extensions listed (to see if the associations with Winamp are what you want them to be), or you can do this later. Click on the "Refresh" button at the bottom of the list.

Then select "Visualization" under the "Plug-ins" heading on the left-hand side. Look on the right-hand side for the Advanced Visualization Studio plug-in. Select it and click on the "Uninstall plug-in" button at the bottom of this window.

Close the Winamp Preferences window and Winamp. Redo the file association edits you made to the registry and reboot your computer. It may be better to use the "Default Programs" utility in the Windows Control Panel to change the ".avs" associations in the registry to the app you use to write and/or edit the avisynth scripts (to ensure all the relevant keys are changed). This utility must be used to change file type associations in the newer versions of Windows (unless you know how to correctly edit the registry manually). Don't forget to reboot before opening Winamp again.

I convert video file formats from time to time, but I've never tried editing them. Is Avisynth hard to learn or use?

Last edited by Aminifu; 16th October 2016 at 17:35.
Old 17th October 2016, 10:12   #10
Industrial_One

AVS is not in the File Types list as far as I see. .AVS isn't made to open by Winamp by default, that's not my problem. It correctly opens with notepad. Problem is it gets named "New Winamp Media File" whenever I make a new one via "Create new" shellex. It's not really a big deal, I'm just curious how it got this way because it wasn't like this before.

Avisynth has a steep learning curve, I recommend avoiding it. The real problem is that no free video editors exist for modern containers. Virtualdub only works with AVI.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support